[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm planning on going to about 11 companies in my city

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

So I'm planning on going to about 11 companies in my city tomorrow and just giving them my resume, not sure if it'll do anything but I've been looking for full-time work in my town for a year with no luck. I have a feeling they'll just tell me to go on their website and apply online, but I feel like making a personal appearance could help, Is it strange to do that? I'm sick of applying online and not hearing anything back, figured it'd be better to just fucking drive down to the companies in person and offer them a copy of my resume.

Problem is I'm not looking for anything specific, I just want some kind of professional entry-level work, though preferably in the administrative category. Guess I should put that on my resume. Would I look stupid though just going down to these companies and asking about employment with them? Or just at least leaving a copy of my resume with HR? If they asked I would just say that I'm looking for some type of office/administrative position. Just for example, one of the places I'm applying for is a chemical company, and another is a rail-car/welding company. I can't weld or do anything chemical related, but those companies have an administrative department so I didn't think it'd hurt to try and see if they had something in that area.

I have a B.A, and it's a liberal arts degree but figured it might help me get some type of administrative position. Also I have a strong feeling the people doing the jobs I'm looking for don't even have a college degree, doubt the employers will even care if I do have a college degree. I was also planning on wearing a nice suit and tie, and just walk in asking about employment with the company.

I know some companies don't like walk-ins, but goddamn it I'm at the point where I'm willing to try anything because this is getting ridiculous, I know for a fact if some high school graduate can get a job in administrative with no college degree making decent money then I sure as hell should be able too.
>>
One thing you might want to do;

If you've been submitting your resume online a LOT, and never hear anything back, you might want to check what the automated background checks are turning up.

Maybe someone was working with your SSN, and got fired for theft, or drove a forklift off a loading dock while high, or something.

Fill out this form, send it in, and check out the report you get back.

www.theworknumber.com/Employees/DataReport/report_request.pdf
>>
File: firmhandshakemanmedium.jpg (37KB, 502x407px) Image search: [Google]
firmhandshakemanmedium.jpg
37KB, 502x407px
You know what you've gotta do, Champ.
>>
You can try OP but good luck, I've tried everything in terms of employment from walking in, to calling the manager to even having a full conversation with the owner of a company.

They're all fucking Jews working for the system, I have a college degree and 6 years of construction experience and still can't get a job at fucking Starbucks.

It's all about who you know and who you blow man, I'd say don't even bother with resumes and applications. Just start networking and making friends and eventually you'll find someone that can get you in somewhere.
>robot having friends
>not likely
This is the problem I myself am having, just gonna go to uni instead and major in psychology. Fuck this

Good luck to you OP
>>
>>38748603
Fuck off, every time I post something relating to looking for a job this stupid meme is posted. It's not funny, and just to drive the point home I'm sure most employers would prefer you shaking their hand and being courteous. What would you rather people do? Walk up and spit in their face?

>>38748451
That's scary, is it really that common? I know identity theft is a real thing, but wouldn't I know if someone was using my identity or if they were getting in trouble? Surely I would have gotten notified about it? Also I'm working a part-time job and I've been there a year, they had to do a background check for that job and I passed it so I assumed there was nothing wrong or they wouldn't have hired me. Also I do hear some stuff back, usually I get automated emails saying "We appreciate you applying but we have decided to look somewhere else." Or something along the lines of that, I call them "Dear John" letters, they're just template letters they send to everyone who doesn't get called back for a job interview.

>>38748622
Well I already have an undergraduate degree, but that is rough man. I'm really kind of afraid of the future, like I'm almost 25 and still living with my parents. My mom is so depressed because I can't get some kind of professional full-time work so at this point I'm just going to try and beat on doors.
>>
There's no fucking hope for us, dude.
>>
>>38748705
>Surely I would have gotten notified about it?

Nope; that's why you should check. It happens all the time.
>>
>>38748705

>I know identity theft is a real thing, but wouldn't I know if someone was using my identity or if they were getting in trouble? Surely I would have gotten notified about it?

Identity theft resolution in the US is a total dumpster fire. At times it's totally out of your control unless you never use any type of identification.
>>
File: firmhandshakeman.jpg (40KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
firmhandshakeman.jpg
40KB, 612x408px
>>38748705
"Champ, you could either sit there and blame your problems on other people, or you could man up and begin to dig yourself out of this mess. And it's as simple as showing up, speaking with the manager, giving him a firm handshake, and telling him you wanna work there. Four simple steps, Champ! I didn't raise a quitter."
>>
>>38748705
It actually is pretty funny because it's true 100% of the time. If your handshake feels like a fish then I can guarantee you that you won't get hired.
>>
>I have a feeling they'll just tell me to go on their website and apply online

That's exactly what they'll do, your time would be better spent spamming your resume on careerbuilder and indeed. If you want to network face to face with people, then job fairs, conventions and seminars are your best bet
>>
Should I include non professional experience on my resume? Like I've worked at a lot of retail stores and shit, but I have no professional like office experience. I don't want to leave my work experience completely blank because the employer will think I have no work history, figured it's better to have any kind of jobs on there instead of leaving it blank.

I just feel like I shouldn't leave out jobs off my work experience section, feels like I'm lying to the employer about where I worked. I had a lot of summer jobs, and I attended college full-time except in the summer. Just seems to me like I should list all the retail places I've worked, figured it would be better than leaving it blank.

>>38748847
Well, sadly my town doesn't have a lot of job fairs. And frankly I don't see what's wrong with going down to the company in person and dropping off a resume, or at least trying to talk with someone about a job. Though I understand they're probably busy, not like I'd expect them to talk with me but surely it doesn't hurt to just leave a copy of your resume with them.
>>
>>38748872

You should list the places you worked at the longest. Employers would rather see you worked at a McDonalds than have a long work history gap. Going to school is counted as your work history, I would omit jobs during college unless they are worth noting. Volunteer experience is also valuable
>>
>>38748791
Lol but really, with the invention of the internet now every employer tells you "to apply online" because there is an endless sea of red tape that you can't get through. I almost wanna tell them to fuck off when they say that.

It's hard out here for a pimp
>>
>>38748920
Well my first job was in 2009, and I started college in 2011. Most of my jobs when I started college were just summer jobs, and I worked those jobs for about 1-3 months. I wasn't with them for very long, as they were only summer jobs.

Also how would you count school as work history? Do I just put in my work history something like

Attended College: 2011-2016

? I've never heard of someone putting that under work history, usually you have an education section that shows your education but that's it.
>>
>>38748417
The worst thing that can happen to you is that you get a job. If you are fine with that, then you have nothing to fear.
>>
>>38748872
Lie bro, even if it's completely made up, use your friends and family as references and have them lie. It's the only way to get in, literally
>>
>>38749018
I have a guilty conscious, I can't in good faith just make up jobs on my resume. Also I have plenty of references that aren't family, so I'm not worried about references.
>>
>>38748966

Where any jobs prior to 2011 worth noting? Honestly, you could just start at 2011 and go from there. You could also use a template like this:

http://www.careerbuilder.com/jobseeker/resumes/StellarResSamples.aspx?sample=college&stage=after

A section on Education, another section about small jobs here and there. >>38749018 As this anon said, you could also lie a bit here and there. No one is going to call your boss at some fast food place you worked at 7 years ago.
>>
>>38749098
I think I'll just list the jobs I had starting from 2011 and up, I'd rather have some job experience than putting nothing on it. Even if it's working at Wal-Mart or some clothing store.
>>
>>38749150

Just to add a bit: any self respecting employer will not care about your age unless you look 40+. I got my first office job at 29 after spending ages 20-26~ out of college and mostly without a job.
>>
>>38749186
Well that's good cause I'm 24 and look 17, like I have a young face and I'm really short. You'd think I was an 18 year old applying for a professional job.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.