[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ywn live your teens / twenties pre-internet age 1995 here,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

>ywn live your teens / twenties pre-internet age
1995 here, what was it like oldfags? it seems comfy to me, like you would feel more in touch with your immediate surroundings and the people you encounter in daily life. like the world at large was big and mysterious and mostly out of reach.
>>
no oldfags?
>>
>>38717842
No, just BBC-worshipping millennials
>>
>>38717343
There's not much to say. It was a much better time in that people were much different. More real and no so judgemental and leaving your house was something you really looked forward to doing. Thinking back on it and comparing it to the way things are now, it's a night and day difference. Technology is far better these days but the people were far better back before the technology.
>>
yes, the pre-internet age was pretty cool for many reasons.

you were compelled to be more self-directed because you didn't have easy access to things. you needed a costume or special outfit for an event, you had to plan things out and make it happen. procrastinators were fucked. nerds would read and learn because google wasn't there to answer every fucking question you had. people would pay attention to tv and radio programs to learn about the world of pop culture and information moved slowly compared to now. you could go outside and run away if you chose because you were off the grid. adventurous/cool teens (non-robots) were up to insane adult-level shit, just like in the movies, and they'd usually get away with it because local law enforcement didn't have access to tech like today and there weren't surveillance and video capture tools everywhere. if you were a kid watching tv shows, you'd know about 80%+ of other kids in your school were watching the same thing and you could talk about it at school. freedom was the main thing. you just can't fully appreciate what real freedom feels like. you never will.
>>
File: 1478754387637564.jpg (20KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1478754387637564.jpg
20KB, 320x320px
>>38717343
>90's teenagers are in their late 30's/early 40's now
>>
>>38718022
>adventurous/cool teens (non-robots) were up to insane adult-level shit,
not sure what you mean by this, like what?
>>
>>38718022
>>38718001

Nah don't listen to these nostalgia glasses wearing cocksuckers. You ever wonder why crime was at its highest during the 70s-90s? Its because people didn't have an outlet to let out those anger issues. 4chan for example lets you shitpost all your anger tendencies but back then, people didn't have all that so they did it in real life. Nowadays people are passive aggressive but back then, if you looked wierd or like an outcast they would say it infront of your face to humiliate you. People were much more assertive and cruel than today that would make an average Gen Z kid cry like a little bitch. Today there is much more pacificity and calmness compared to 1994 that we make news reports on BULLYING or some other petty shit that no one cares about. Oh, and speaking of bullying don't even get me started how bad it was as well.
>>
>>38717343
Well the net was great not many people had it, I lost my V at 12 playing a MUD and had 4 yrs from the net, also had about 8 girl, you were "cool if you had a pager and everyone wasn't odd about cell phones and social media it's cancer. World wasn't out of reach but people were more connected in dif ways
>>
>>38718087
>not sure what you mean by this, like what?
just what i said. male teens were not supervised-- like at all. they could do whatever the fuck they wanted and they did. if the cops caught them, they'd get some punishment, but most weren't caught. have you not seen tv shows and movies from that time or set in that time? they are authentic. wild and crazy parties, crazy pranks, people getting seriously hurt or killed because they were stupid kids doing stupid shit. you could go on road trips and have nothing but a map and some cash with you and live fully in the adult world as a teen. go to concerts and drink and party and really be in the moment. there was a real sense of danger to about everything because there was not someone around to be your safety net. teens would stay out all night.just watch movies from that period of time. it wasn't just hollywood bullshit. there was no supervision and the freedom to do whatever you wanted led people to do just that.

it wasn't a great time for weirdos like us, though. if you found a group of kids who were into anything you were, it was really appreciated and meaningful.
>>
>>38718774
I don't think teens are that restricted these days I think they're just a lot lazier. The nerds played videogames through highschool and the cool kids were just as well on MSN or Facebook as actually going out and doing things.
>>
>>38718208
>>Nah don't listen to these nostalgia glasses wearing cocksuckers. You ever wonder why crime was at its highest during the 70s-90s? Its because people didn't have an outlet to let out those anger issues. 4chan for example lets you shitpost all your anger tendencies but back then, people didn't have all that so they did it in real life. Nowadays people are passive aggressive but back then, if you looked wierd or like an outcast they would say it infront of your face to humiliate you. People were much more assertive and cruel than today that would make an average Gen Z kid cry like a little bitch. Today there is much more pacificity and calmness compared to 1994 that we make news reports on BULLYING or some other petty shit that no one cares about. Oh, and speaking of bullying don't even get me started how bad it was as well.
just because i was a robot retard back then, it doesn't mean i can't appreciate what it was. i was jealous as fuck of these skinny and muscled kids every fucking where i looked who were able to have relationships with all these skinny girls in the halls. they went to parties and concerts and went on drives around town telling jokes and listening to loud music, which really sounded awesome. i would see these people doing these things even when i wasn't in the group. i watched these people have the fucking times of their lives. i could see their faces during these things and hear their conversations during and after.
>>
>>38718868
>>just because i was a robot retard back then, it doesn't mean i can't appreciate what it was. i was jealous as fuck of these skinny and muscled kids every fucking where i looked who were able to have relationships with all these skinny girls in the halls. they went to parties and concerts and went on drives around town telling jokes and listening to loud music, which really sounded awesome. i would see these people doing these things even when i wasn't in the group. i watched these people have the fucking times of their lives. i could see their faces during these things and hear their conversations during and after.
you sound pretty nostalgic/delusional mate
>>
>>38717343
sort of like old wow vs new wow

kids hung out with each other way WAY more
each week they would play football and have hangouts and knew each other more closely, there were also more people, not like today when they act like others dont exist in general life

today its just a grind:
>browse social networks
>go to club
>fuck
>>
>>38718904
not that guy, but you sound like a modern man (sheltered, overly sensitive and feminized)
>>
>>38718904
>you sound pretty nostalgic/delusional mate
yes, because i'm not a delicate flower about bullying. i was bullied in the 80s. absolutely. it sucked, but it sucked for me. the 80s didn't suck for the rest of the kids in my class. i enjoyed all the other shit about growing up back then that were not shit upon by being bullied. i played d&d like the kids in stranger things. i rode my bike wherever the fuck i wanted from morning until night. it was magical. you have no idea how amazing a feeling it was to feel that free, to just be yourself with your small group of friends and to have fun with them or without outside your house.
>>
>>38719014
>guy is nostalgiaing memory of watching cool kids from afar in highschool and saying he could tell they were having the time of their life from their faces (which he has not seen in years)
>i'm the sheltered and overly sensitive one for not buying into his "back in my day" rant
>>
>>38719094
you like it or not, its clearly his vision of whats hppening that day and obviously it was something memorable (whether correct or not)

you're overly sensitive because you sound like a sheltered faggot who was pampered under a glass bell by overprotective parents
>>
I have to agree, it wad an awesome time, and I only caught the very tail end of it. I remember jist walking around town with my core group of friends, smoking weed, throwing bantz, it was great. There seems to be this set of universal truths that exist today because it's so easy to find like minded people. This wasn't the case when you didn't have a computer in your pocket to tell you how you should think or feel based on an aggregate of opinions. It's wild, there was far more diversity in thought.
>>
File: email.png (1MB, 1243x666px) Image search: [Google]
email.png
1MB, 1243x666px
>>38718022
>>38718774
>>38719025
this was pretty much my idea of what it was like, my mindset on life would have been so much more ideal for a time like that. modern day interaction is based on social media, which feels like it's stagnated most of the potential I had to really meet people or get to know them. Even if I talk to someone and ask questions about them and actively engage in real conversation they will just blow it off with one word answers as they look back down at ther phones. If i do end up having a half decent conversation they will "add me on facebook" then you never hear from that person again. and now with snapchat the whole "temporary image" concept has taken the world by storm as every other social media has copied it since its all people use now to communicate. No snapchat = no friends.

I'm 19 but most of my friends are 30+ because they're the only people I really get along with and relate to.

>inb4 special snowflake born in le wrong generation

I don't think I'm special in thinking this but i really do feel so alientaed talking to people my age, we just dont relate on anything. It's not a meme.
>>
>>38718001
People have been and will always be assholes.
>>
>>38717343
30 year old wizard here. It was still bullshit, but just a different kind of bullshit. Girls worshiped boy bands like Nysnc and Hanson and tended to gravitate towards the bad boys in school. In my situation a girl that I liked actually ended up dating the kid who bullied me.

You'd need to look way further back than the 90's if you're looking for a time when girls werent degenerate whores.
>>
>>38719269
you're good

only people i can be friendly with and relate to are the greatest generation
more they die off more shit this world is and less decent people are there to talk to

boomers are the worst tho
>>
Most of whats said in this thread is bullshit. The only thing really different was how to get pussy. Back then it was easier for a robot to get laid because there wasnt 50 chads blowing up every girls tinder, facebook, instagram, and snapchat. The other main differences are how less hive mindy people were, and if you got drunk and did somthing retarded the whole school wouldnt have a video of it to show your parents and girl you wanna fugg.
>>
File: internet.webm (2MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
internet.webm
2MB, 720x480px
>>38717343
I'm a touch too young, it sucks. At least got a regular childhood of playing outside until the sun went down, no cellular phone to "check in", and pretty normal schooling with recess. 1989fag
>>
>>38719269
>feel so alientaed talking to people my age

Buddy, I hear you. I was born in the late 80's so I had one in each world. Recently, I was taking an Uber to work, and the driver had this streaming radio station in that played pop music no older than 7 months. The ride was an hour, and I felt incredibly depressrd when it was through, like I no longer fit in with the world. America is crumbling in the same vein as the Roman Empire, and the music thats popular now encourages you to be "Chained to the Rhythm", celebrate having mental "Issues", and to regard everyone against gibs as biggoted. I remember after 9/11, there was this sense of shared destiny. If 9/11 were to happen today, I can't help but feel the reaction woulf be largely empathetic. Because "fuck it, I wanna be like Miley Cyrus and not give a fuck"
>>
>>38719094
>>guy is nostalgiaing memory of watching cool kids from afar in highschool and saying he could tell they were having the time of their life from their faces (which he has not seen in years)
i went to a couple of these parties because there was a stacey who had a good heart. i was a nice guy. i was a gentle autistic 6'2" teddy bear to my classmates. i experienced these parties. i was at pizza shops and sonic drive ins and movie theaters and shit by myself sitting right beside these people. i heard everybody in my classes talking about shit from the night before.

i was using time of their lives colloquially. i know for a fact that many of these people have far exceeded those days. the staceys especially. one became an attorney who married some other attorney from nyc and their fucking wedding was in one of those magazines like southern living or something. others post vacation photos from hawaii and around the world on normiebook. many of them, the ones in the smart kid classes with me, are doing better than hs, but they had a fucking blast in hs, too.
>>
i never had the internet as my brother would use it. i was in the family room playing ps2 games.
>>
>>38717842
We're still coming home from work.
>>
>>38719495
and two of us, separated by ocean, sit here like utter failures
>>
>>38719448
>Back then it was easier for a robot to get laid because there wasnt 50 chads blowing up every girls tinder, facebook, instagram, and snapchat.
true. i learned after high school that i could have gotten laid at least a few times, but i was too retarded and too much inside my own head. had friends who were girls that probably would have given me a shot, but girls in general terrified me because i knew i was inferior to the rest of the guys they could be with and i was worried they would spread gossip about me after witnessing my autism during a date. even had an underclassman cry at my graduation because it meant her chances with me were over-- found out years later from her friend.
>>
>>38719623
>and two of us, separated by ocean, sit here like utter failures
yeah, just waiting for the deep sleep. pray for it every night.
>>
>tfw in Cuba where its like the 50s, but a little shittier (no internet, you have to buy coupons, very expensive)
>>
File: 1456591464214.jpg (38KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
1456591464214.jpg
38KB, 620x388px
Reminder that living in the 80s and 90s in the USA may as well have been a different universe. People will never be this cool again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA
>>
You could do almost anything back then. I bought cigarettes at age 8, whiskey at 18. I crossed the Canadian border at 17 with no ID and a machete under the driver seat. You could be in people's face of you wanted. I walked all over town once just wearing a towel to see what would happen. Nothing! And if someone bothered you, so what! You would not have to listen to their crap. No internet, no whinning! It was better.
>>
>>38719932
>butthurt underage poster refuses to acknowledge that his generation is the worst thing to happen to humanity in 300,000 years
>>
File: 1500514708139.jpg (43KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1500514708139.jpg
43KB, 500x376px
>>38719892
>tfw can't talk to stranger anymore
>>
>>38717343
>Born 1987.
>Got internet in like 1998 I think.
>Grew up right next to a big woodland area and next to a canal and fields.
>Built huts out of wood and bushes.
>Built rope swings off trees.
>Lit massive fires.
>Went fishing in the canal that was 30 seconds away.
>Played football and with Action Man and shit in the park.

It was fucking amazing.
I'm so glad I got to grow up outdoors, was building shit in the woods at like 7 years old just for the fun of it with mates... going fishing and shit, learning basic life skills just by being outside.

Only problem is now at 30 all I do is sit inside and never leave the house and sit online all the fucking time getting drunk and shitposting.
>>
>>38721326
reminds me of me and my mate back in the day
he ended up a chad and i a robot

funny how life drags so similar people to such different places
>>
>>38721589
I guess I could have been considered a Chad up until a few years ago.
I've had sex with triple digits people, had loads of friends, been to parties and raves, was the best at most sports I took part in.

Now I'm a piece complete useless of shit.
>>
>>38721326
Kek this was not normal for kids born in the late 80's.
>>
>>38721326
God damn, Denise Richards was such a babe.
>>
>>38721660
>being proud of fucking grannies
>>
>>38719892
that french girl is cute
>>
>>38717343
It was great.
So much. So much optimism. People were actually nice and great to be around, and weren't triggered by the smallest things like a person farting.
This video is a few years before the 90's, but you get the general idea of what the 90's were like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA
>>
>>38721660
what could have happened to make someone like you become a robot

for me it was thread related ending and hating the world now
>>
>>38721981
i blame global capitalism
>>
File: 1376170140955.jpg (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1376170140955.jpg
74KB, 500x500px
>>38721981
i want to fug catherine from france
>>
>>38717343
>you would feel more in touch with your immediate surroundings and the people you encounter in daily life
Anyone who actually believes this needs to sit outside more or is a boomer making up bullshit projections on [everyone under 50] to feel superior.

> the world at large was big and mysterious and mostly out of reach
This is somewhat true. But Youtube videos and Facebook pictures don't make me feel like I've been somewhere any more than a 1940s newsreel.
>>
>>38718277
>>38718774
>>38718868
>>38718904
>>38719455
>>38719932
What are you now doing today?
>>
>>38722257
>This is somewhat true. But Youtube videos and Facebook pictures don't make me feel like I've been somewhere any more than a 1940s newsreel.

I think the scarcity of information sources then was the difference. I remember when sushi was a scary thing, and in order to sell it, it needed to be "cooked". This was a widespread thing, at least in Mass. Now there's a million sources on how to treat raw fish for consumption.
>>
I'm 33, and so technically I've never existed at a point at which the internet hasn't been a thing, however there was a major shift in culture which incidentally was partly 'predicted' by films/shows like ghost in the shell.

Just consider for example that when I was 10 or so having a mobile phone was a status symbol, people still used pagers, and calling internationally was a big thing and there was literally a time delay between responses. I don't think that shift can ever be overstated. I mean the world has been very 'international' for 200 years or so, I'm in Australia which was pretty much a product of internationalism. International political movements were a thing even in the 1920s. My parents both went to Europe in their 20s, but up until the 90's you literally had to travel and physically meet people from another country to get an idea of the world there. Today I can spend 5 mins signing up to VK and see that Russians are human just like me, I can see millions of high-def photos and videos from people's lives anywhere on Earth. Even google satellite view was a huge shift back in the mid 2000's.

I think a nice indicator of this shift can be seen in how ridiculous and lame the X-files reboot seems today. The sense of the outside world being mysterious, the possibility of things like vast conspiracies existing just beyond your daily experience SEEMED so much more possible then but silly now.

Another way of looking at it is that as a kid, exploring the world and discovering new worlds also seemed possible, but any kid today has probably seen global satellite imagery and maps hundreds of times before.
>>
File: 1492728248557.jpg (186KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1492728248557.jpg
186KB, 1920x1440px
>>38721995
Depression since 14.
Having literally the best time of my life taking so many drugs, going to so many houseparties, going to so many raves, sleeping with everyone... then after years of that I realised I had to grow up and I didn't know how to do it because I was basically 18 every year since I turned 18.
>Developed anxiety.
>Got so depressed I just don't bother doing anything ever.
>Live with my parents again because I because such an alcoholic fuck-up.
>Can't keep a job, never been able to keep a job for more than a few years.

I fucking wanna sort shit out but I'm 30 years old with the same mentality I had 12 years ago I just really haven't figured out how to grow up mentally.
I know what the problem is, I just can't seem to solve it.

>>38721912
Denise Richards in her prime is my favourite woman EVER!
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.