[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how are those famous big old concrete buildings still standing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (63KB, 580x350px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63KB, 580x350px
how are those famous big old concrete buildings still standing after literally hundreds of years while modern stuff have to be demolished for safety after like 50 years?
>>
They took pride in their work and built them to last. Modern buildings are flimsy shit they just slap together as cheap as they can get away with and just dress it up to look pretty.
>>
>>38696438
only a few out of millions are standing and even some of the ones you see standing have been renovated to a point thats its almost new
>>
>>38696438
>concrete
There's your answer.

Modern shit is all made of wood and plaster.
>>
A brick lasts longer than a complicated structure with electricity, heating and water and all other shit like proper ventilation? Really makes you think...
>>
>>38696438
They have to be restored constantly, man. It's not like it's "still" standing.
>>
>>38696550
no, but even modern skyscrapers are all built with plans to demolish them after like just 100 years yet the OPs pic has been around for like 2000
>>
>>38697011
Because there comes a point when it's safer and easier to just build a new, better and more advanced building than to try to preserve it. The old shitty building is preserved because we value it for historical or artistic value, not for it's practical applications.
>>
>>38696438
Near unlimited capital due to arguably tyrannical governments, along with virtual slave labor
>>
>>38696438

Because modern buildings are specifically built to be destroyee easily in a a generation or 2 to help with rebuilding.

Those buildings are preserved and no one lives in them, no electricity, no heat nothing. Theres nothing to erode it beyond nature.

Stick all that modern shit in there and 100 people or so a day and watch it shatter.
>>
>>38696438
I call modern shit card houses, because they're made out of fucking drywall, wooden frames, and pressed woodchips.
Back in the day they built shit to LAST.
Bricks, steel, concrete.
Now it's quantity over quality.

Modern shit is perfect example of planned obsolescence.
>>
>>38696672
>Modern shit is all made of wood and plaster.
Yeah, nah. We use concrete. We also have the advantage of using concrete with fucking steel tendons that are stressed to pull dat concrete up so we can have fucking 6" thick slabs spanning 30 feet for muh headroom.
>>
>>38697443
We're talking about residential private housing.
Not office buildings.
If you've ever seen a suburban house being built, you'd know what we mean.
>>
>>38697486
>We're talking about residential private housing.
>famous big old concrete buildings
>>
>>38697188
>hundreds of people enter and leave OPs pic on a daily basis
>possibly even thousands back in its era
>if we put a few lightbulbs and aircon in there itll suddenly crumble in a few decades

Really maks u tinke
>>
>>38697443
Yet all these modern reinforced concrete and etc still only have a lifespan of a century at most before the concrete starts to crack. Compare that with OP pics which is 2000 years with almost no maintenance except a few inspections where they found everything was ok
>>
>>38697750

If they compromised the infrastructure and run shit THROUGH the bricks like we do with modern structures, thats assuming you arent in 1of those buildings that has the wiring and ventilation just hanging out, damn right itll crumble

Youre not bright, i know youre trying and i applaud you but stop.
>>
>>38696438
most buildings of those times didn't survive the passage of time, or were destroyed. The ones that survive did because they were used, the building in your pic, the Pantheon survived because it was first a roman temple, and after it was used as a catholic temple, so it was constantly repaired.
>>
>>38698300
(same fag here)
also, the buildings that survived until our times, were really important shit, like temples, cathedrals, or other public constructions, so a lot of care went to their structure and engineering in order to survive. Those public buildings were a way to inmortalize culture and advancements. All that knowledge was rarely used in houses and other buildings that didn't survive, because they weren't intended to survive the passage of time.
>>
>>38698365
finally, most current buildings are meant to last a certain amount of time, because they would probably be replaced by other kind of necessity or technology. It's just not practical to have an appartment or an office building to last 100 years.
>>
>>38697486
UKbot here and all our suburban houses are brick. In fact all our non-apartament housing is brick.
>>
>>38698365
If you come to Europe and visit an area mostly untouched by ww2 you will see many homes that are hundreds of years old.
>>
>>38696438
The pantheon wasn't made of concrete.
>>
>>38697011
> Demolished after 100 years
I'm calling bullshit until you source it. The Burj Khalifa is planned to last 12 centuries.
>>
>>38698644
Also I'm talking about skyscrapers, not your neighbor's house. Sorry baby but skyscraperrs are made to last and will outlive us all.
If you're talking about domestic building, blame usa house market.
Right now I'm in the same room where I was 20 years ago, because I've lived in the same house for all my life and the house alone has 60 years. It's made of cement, concrete, and metal. Not cardboard and sticks.
>>
>>38697871
>bricks
>pantheon

all my keks, you are retarded
>>
>>38698619
yes, it was. its made of roman concrete. granted, its a different composition and method used in modern concrete today, but my point still stands. our concrete is different from their concrete. why did we go backwards?

>inb4 cost

no
>>
>>38698714
>cement, concrete,
Concrete is cement and aggregate. Cement is basically the paste like the mortar between bricks... kind of.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.