[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did "badass" become "edgy"? Remember

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: Shadow-signature-pose.png (379KB, 1754x2720px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow-signature-pose.png
379KB, 1754x2720px
When did "badass" become "edgy"? Remember back in the days when we described things we call edgy nowadays as badass, and that it was a good thing, but then above-it-all-redditors started making edgy a buzzword for anything dark?
>>
>>38691336
It's a way for weak betas to feel better about being weak betas and not being badasses.

Like how fat women turned fit, attractive women into subjects of ridicule.
>>
The more you grow up the more the word badass changes meaning.
When i think badass i think of a wounded man punching the shit out of someone.

Looking back at what you thought was badass, it just seems too tryhard
>>
>>38691455
>When i think badass i think of a wounded man punching the shit out of someone.
edgy
>>
>>38691455
People also used the term "tryhard" for fedoras who tried to be badass and were suicidal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPokfq7xxXY
Shadow the Hedgehog is like the epitome of what people used to call badass in the early 00s. You can't deny his battle theme isn't cool.
>>
>>38691509
All star was considered decent too, look at it now.
Society changes.
>>
>>38691336
"Badass" does not equal "edgy". Shadow is a shitty edgelord because he has no real character beyond the writer pandering to what they think is cool; being overly tough and capable, a smug and sarcastic sense of humor, yet is also dark and brooding.
>>
>>38691660
>look at it now
???
i enjoy it unironically, it's only a meme because of shrek
>>
>>38691686
define "real character"
>>
>>38691795
Three dimensional, with identifiable goals, personal characteristics, and flaws. Preferably develops over the course of their story in a way that's believable in relation to the action of the plot. This is bare minimum stuff too, actually making your character seem like a living person adds much more of top of that, but is itself pretty difficult. Adding unique quirks, interests, beliefs, and shortcomings goes a long way.
>>
it's a leddit buzzword, or at least it is now. most people who use it now are normalfags. like >>38691686 this guy who comes up with some sort of half assed justification for his use of it. people just use it to describe literally anything that isn't either a) your waspy call of duty male hero or b) a moeblob heroine. it's lost all meaning. the only time i've heard it used in a way that was consistent with it derogatory meaning was towards the DmC reboot. Aborting a demon-baby with a sniper rifle is edgy to the point of being unintentionally hilarious. But man, people out here calling shit like Kill la Kill "edgy" when it's lighthearted as fuck, shits retarded.
>>
>>38691963
>why are these talking Chinese magical hedgehog cartoons not more like people?
Hedgehogs are not people, they have a different perspective from us so to you it seems like a lack of character. You just don't get his motivations.
>>
File: Shadow_the_hedgehog.jpg (343KB, 1262x2295px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow_the_hedgehog.jpg
343KB, 1262x2295px
>>38691686
Shadow wasn't really edgy in SA2 it wasn't untill shadow the hedgehog that he became an edgy lord
>>
As with most shitty memes it is rebbit. They are all in this big peeing race trying to see who can be more insipid. Anything fun like badass, cool, cute, they become upset and want everyone to stop liking things they don't like.
>>
>>38692074
How am I wrong, if it's just a half assed justification.
>>38692090
The issue with that line of thinking is that, from my recollection, there is no consistent depiction of how these "hedghog" characters are supposed to think or act if they're not supposed to be like anthropomorphic people. Watch something like the Secret of Nym, for example. Mrs. Brisby still acts like a three dimensional character, yet is a mouse. In storytelling, making your story about talking animals doesn't justify them being flat characters.
>>38692146
It's been a while since I've played SA2, and i'm more familiar with the character from the meme game you mentioned.
>>
>>38692228
knuckles has no real character beyond the writer pandering to what they think is cool; being overly tough and capable, a smug and sarcastic sense of humor. sonic has no real character beyond the writer pandering to what they think is cool. that entire series has no real character development. it's shit, captain, but none of the other characters receive as much vitriol as sad-ow the edgehog. it has to do with societies personal aversion to vulnerability and emotion in male characters, not shitty writing.
>>
>>38692358
*clarification; and masculine traits in female heroes as well. everyone gets triggered 'cause "brooding" fucks with gender roles.

>>38691509
kinda sounds like a bad rip off of front line assemblys new stuff
>>
>>38692358
> that entire series has no real character development
You'er not wrong, but Shadow is the only one who used guns and had a game like his 2005 outing. Nothing in the series reaches that level of what can only be described as "edge".
> it has to do with societies personal aversion to vulnerability and emotion in male characters
Could you explain this a bit more, I'm not too sure where you're coming from on this angle.
>>
>>38692358
Shadow's soft side is supposed to be with Maria, who was killed by retarded americans, and his entire story in SA2 is about avenging his sister and killing all humans, until he remembers that Maria wanted him to be a hero no matter what and he decides to save the day and disobey what his creator's wishes about the world was.
>>
>>38692460
>Nothing in the series reaches that level of what can only be described as "edge".
Oh my sweet, summer child.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6uqp_mr98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKjOJuPjiu4
>>
File: Kermit.jpg (16KB, 696x414px) Image search: [Google]
Kermit.jpg
16KB, 696x414px
>>38692609
In my defense, I haven't kept up with Sonic Forces after it was announced that it would have OCs, but Jesus lord almighty you weren't kidding.
>>
>>38692523
As i said, effeminate emotions in males and masculine traits in heroines fucks with gender roles, causing waspy normalfags to cringe, bringing us the modern definition of "edgy". Basically, if you can't call the writer a tryhard, it's probably the normalfag type of "edgy". While I wouldn't call shadow in SA2 "edgy" neccisarily, him in his own game I would, becuase the devs were shoehorning guns into a kids game, which was actually pretty hilarious. a good test for if something is actually non buzzword edgy is if it's gut bustingly funny without intending to be.
>>
>>38691336
Edginess = inauthentic, just-for-show badassness
>>
>>38692738
Glad we see eye to eye. SA2 Shadow isn't a problem at all.
>>
>>38692779
however, i wouldn't consider it as edgy as something like "hatred". on the sliding scale of actually edgy, STH shadow aint that bad. when you get to pointless killing for the sake of "le evull ecks dee", you get to edgy.
>>
Overused meme word that lost its effect over time, as does every meme that goes through the 4chan----->reddit----->IRL progression
Reminds me of when kek used to be funny before people did that kekistan shit and bought flags and all that
>>
>>38692949
Hatred's in a league of it's own, for sure. Especially considering it was only done for said shock value.
>>
>>38693025
the chain actually works backwards as well. here's a half assed example
4chan----->gaia----->IRL(like chanology)------>Stormfront------->Reddit--------->Newfags on /pol/
>>
>>38693089
>stormfront------->reddit
What? I thought they just spammed pol
>>
>>38693050
absolutely. another thing is people concerned with "the edge" can't even name characters that are broody or of questionable morals that aren't "edgy".
Take Shiki from Kara no Kyoukai, or Kiritsugu from Fate/Zero. Neither of them are "edgy", but to a lot of people, they would be. Fuminori from Saya No Uta isn't edgy either, just your typical cultist after failing a SAN roll. I guess you're kinda right about the writer having something to do with it, as the author is a good indicator as well if something is really edgy or not, but shitty non-"edgy" characters written by shit authors get a pass, like faith from mirrors edge, anyone from call of duty, the mad max reboot, ect. that's my main problem with that definition, that other shit gets a free pass.
>>
>>38693173
/r/thedonald is filled with ex-stormfags
>>
>>38693362
Those ex-stormfags came from pol
>>
>anti-hero
Badass.
>villain
Badass.
>some guy who just wants death, destruction and darkness for no good reason
Edgelord.

Simple.
>>
>>38693658
Bowser so edgy lol
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.