[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just came across the following links today: https://www.w

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: boat.jpg (40KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
boat.jpg
40KB, 604x453px
I just came across the following links today:

https://www.woodenboat.com/boats-sale-categories/free-boats

https://www.boneyardboats.com/Free_Boats/

And a whole host of other boats just being given away, literally.

So, If you were down to your last few bucks and wanted/needed to abandon society, would it be possible to get one of these free boats, haul it out to a cheap piece of land, and live there for a time? Locate a nicer one that's build for a live-aboard, fill the water tank and go to it.

Sure, it's not awesome, but I'm talking if you were in desperate straits. I'd certainly do that instead of sleeping rough.

Hell, if it floated, you could just dock it and pay a slip fee. I'm sure that would be better than rent in many parts of the country.

Thoughts?
>>
>>38625683
Can you sail a boat though?
>>
>>38625724
No, this would not be for sailing. It's just a cheap shelter that seems way better than a tent. That's the idea. Either keep it on the trailer on land or docked if you had the cash for a small monthly fee.

Would it be a small fee, though? I've seen a few vids about this, some people claim to not pay anything, but I find that highly suspicious, so I'm erring on the side of caution.
>>
>>38625772
I just looked, there's a marina near me that has rates posted online. For full-time, long-term stuff, you'd pay $7.75 / ft. per month plus $100 / month.

So a 20-footer would cost you $255 a month. And you get access to power and water if you want to pay extra.

Rents around here start at around $700, so it seems like a really cheap deal.
>>
>>38625683
OP this thread is cool and I hope you generate more interest in it
>>
>>38625854
The real question is whether you can get a good Internet connection hooked up on it.
>>
>>38626335
Thank you, I like doing this type of investigation. But I do see a few threads here about people being in trouble and I'm kind of surprised there's not more interest.

As for me, some days are better than others, I don't mind saying and it gives me some comfort to at least know a little bit or have thought about other escape plans or ways of living should things go sideways.

>>38626365
Well, at the marina's website, it looks like they do have WiFi, bathrooms, showers, a restaurant, and other amenities. It almost looks similar to a truck stop in a sense, outfitted for travelers. I doubt it's all for free or included in the docking price, but it exists.
>>
So, no other comments?
>>
>>38626966
Nothing more expensive than a free boat
>>
Listen, I have no fucking idea about boating or the like, but it's been my dream to sail across the pacific, ya know come in all majestic into port and shit, I just have no clue about the logistics of any of it. I'm ready to give up everything to do this, but is it a pipe dream? Could I go get a fucking boat and just sail, or would I inevitably die in a huge storm or some shit
>>
File: boatr9k1.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
boatr9k1.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
There was one guy last year who posted about living on a boat. Said it was cheap but you'll need to do maintenance periodically even if you aren't going anywhere. Saved the pic.
>>38629027
I have that dream too. There are teens who sailed around the world. I think with a few years of experience you can do this. Just drift from island to island. Of course you would need income/savings to sustain it.

If you want to learn all about seamanship this is considered the sailor's bible: https://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloting-Seamanship-67th/dp/1588169618.
>>
File: One_Piece_08.jpg (321KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
One_Piece_08.jpg
321KB, 1280x1024px
No real experience either, I inherited a boat 10 years ago or so, I've never used it myself but my uncle borrows it every summer, do maintenance and moves it out to the sea, hire a port space over the summer etc. Think he pays $2-500 a month for a fairly attractive area, 25x9ft, prices are going to vary greatly depending on location tho.

Maintenance hasn't been too hideous, seeing it's a smaller standard boat one can find all sorts of parts in the low price warehouses, the fuel tank connector failed so he ended up having to replace the whole tank, needed new battery and drain pump, assorted lamps, typical engine maintenance stuff like oil and spark plugs, hull paint. I guess one eliminates a lot of this if it's just to sit in a dock at all times. Getting it liveable, maybe get some batteries, solar panels, a transformer, moving it etc is probably going to bring some initial costs.

Here we have "skippers exams", one takes classes and tests to get a certificate, just like a drivers license.
>>
This guy's pretty famous here, he's been sailing all over in assorted tiny homebuilt sailboats, here's his latest construction.

http://www.yrvind.com/present_project/
>>
File: IMG_2051.jpg (100KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2051.jpg
100KB, 1024x768px
>not just pooping over the side
>>
>>38630135
>not fapping over the side as well
Ideally there would be no one around in a 100 mile radius
>>
>>38630135
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3bN5YeiQs
>>
>>38630071
Based as FUCK

iyyg7996g76f
>>
Bumping for more interest in this nice thread
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.