[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else think MGS2 graphics hold up better than MGS3

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

Does anyone else think MGS2 graphics hold up better than MGS3 blurry mess of a jungle? I just can't look at MGS3 and say this is a pretty game especially if playing the original PS2 version, only like the final fight against The Boss looks beautiful.
>>
>>38618924
Snake's face always throws me off in MSG2, but the jungle is pretty messy in 3.
MGS3 is a way better game though so a little blurriness is more than made up for.
>>
MGS2 was a marvel of engineering. It looked and ran amazingly well when it came out. Amazing feat for a new console.

The remaster is also beautiful obviously. I think the main problem with MGS3 is that while it looks pretty, the framerate of 2 is a lot more stable.
>>
>Playing mgs instead of a much better stealth game like Theif or Splinter cell
>liking terrible writing

Fuck off.
>>
>>38618924

There's way too many of these games and they're all terrible.
>>
File: frampt.png (114KB, 344x374px) Image search: [Google]
frampt.png
114KB, 344x374px
>>38618969
>he's mad because he was never good at MGS and couldn't follow the plot
>>
>>38618969
Whist the writing is terrible it is endearing in its own kind of way at least for mgs3
Mgs4 and 5 though pretty much summed up by "he played us like a dam fiddle!"
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (88KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
88KB, 1280x1024px
Natural environments are just harder to make
MGS2 is literally just corridor after corridor
>>
>>38618969

Splinter Cell had better controls, more consistent gameplay, and had a less cringey storyline (less gundams, clones, anime hairstyles, embarrassing romantic moments, and so on).

MGS really birthed the "cinematic" gaming experience -something Im not a big fan of.
>>
>>38619287
>crouching simulator 2000
>>
>>38619054
>Beat the first two games
>mgs 1 was good
>mgs 2 horrible writing that is borderline fanfiction tier
>>
>>38619312
>splinter cell
>crouching simulator

Wut? Really?
>>
>>38619312
Peace Walker and MGSV sadly followed this trend.

>>38619287
MGS is SUPPOSED to be over the top anon. If you're expecting some hardcore gritty military simulation then of course it's going to dissapoint you.
>>
Peacewalker pisses me off. I had to use an electric drill to survive the torture scene.
>>
>>38619312
>idiots who never played the first three splinter cell games
>>
>>38619351
Sure. I know that.

Im not sying MGS was bad (it was entertaining), but it had worse controls and it is the type of game that contributes to video games becoming less like video games and more like interactive movies (besides maybe the boss fights).

The controls are so bad in MGS games that I usually play the first couple of stages just to screw around and get a hang of the controls and then I restart so I dont feel like a played my character like a chicken with its head cut off.
>>
>>38619416
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9dVSh3At-w
>>
>>38619379
use a coin or flat object to rub the button
>>
>>38619615
Because stealth, something that the mgs series lacks.
>>
>>38619312
>>38619416

To be fair, you do spend a lot of time crouching in front of doors to use the wire cam or whatever to look behind doors.
>>
>>38619676
You being bad at stealth is not the same as the games not having any.
>>
>>38619728
>You being bad at stealth

Beat the first and second game with big boss rank. Stop projecting, faggot. Also, give chaos theory a try., you'll probably change your mind.
>>
>>38619379
I had someone else survive the torture for me on co-op
>>
I think it's because MGS2 ran at 60FPS while MGS3 ran at 30FPS, which is why MGS2 looks really nice and smooth.

To this day MGS2 is still the game that has blown my mind the most, graphically. Going from the blocky MGS1 graphics to the smooth MGS2 just blew my mind. It looked so good. I thought that was the pinnacle of videogame graphics then and it would never get better than that.
>>
>>38619849
This.

I cant even remember the last time I was blown away by improved graphics and smooth game play. Maybe when I first played Suprme Commander or Far Cry 2.
>>
File: fallout.jpg (107KB, 614x1188px) Image search: [Google]
fallout.jpg
107KB, 614x1188px
>>38619927
That's because all graphical improvements are incremental in modern games instead of massive leaps like PS1 -> PS2.
The same applies to gameplay since all games follow the same basic formula for their genre then make smaller tweaks to that.
>>
>>38620144
I think it is easier to blow people away with novel (new or unusual in an interesting way.
) gameplay.

I was seriously blown away by hotline miami, and I really liked papers please.

But I dont think Ill ever be blown away again by an improvement in both at the same time.
>>
MGS2's story was ahead of its time.
>>
>>38621053

Yes, it was. Everything fake Colonel Campbell/GW said about the internet turning into an echo chamber where no one was correct but also not invalidated is so true now, even more than in 2001 when the game came out. It's really amazing.

MGS2 was a technical masterpiece (at the time) and had a great story. I'm really starting to appreciate it more than I did when it came out.
>>
>>38621368
I just replayed 1,2, and 4 for the first time since around 2011, and I was stunned by how perfectly that speech at the end of MGS2 described the modern world of 2017. Even the purpose of GW is fulfilled by massive data corporations like Google and Facebook.
>>
>>38618924
Is it worth it to drop $15-20 on one of the collections pretty much solely for HD MGS3? It's one of my top 3 games but the PS2 version is pretty damn blurry and ofc 4:3 is crap. I know the SH HD collection was horrible but I haven't heard many complaints about the MGS HD remasters. Is there anything wrong with them or are they successful ports?
>>
>>38618924
You made the same fucking thread on /v/, what the fuck has this to do on /r9k/?
>>
>>38623098
I wish there were more vidya discussions here.

/v/ is too full of normal fags boasting about normalfag accomplishments, but then when you complain you are a kissless virgin, they ban you.

>normie:poasts about banging his gf after playing some fun video game
>normie:yay best day ever
>me:shut up normalfag I came here to talk about vidya
>me: banned for flaming

/v/ sucks.
>>
>>38619345
>not understanding that MGS 2 wasn't about the experience, but the feelings and questions evoked by the experience
>>
>>38623172
Of course /v/ is a board full of contrarian hipster, but the boards are separated for a reason.
You don't start Bitcoin investment threads outside of /biz/ on /gif/ for example.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.