[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to lose it, I have been looking for a job for

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: Carl_Brutananadilewski.jpg (39KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Carl_Brutananadilewski.jpg
39KB, 600x450px
I'm about to lose it, I have been looking for a job for over a YEAR now and am still working part-time making garbage money. I have a B.A in Communication and have probably applied to about 100 jobs and haven't gotten hired for anything. I've had a few interviews, but never got hired for the job. I really have no professional experience, I've never had an internship and at this point It's wearing on me. I still live at home with parents and I'm 24 years old, it's really pathetic honestly. My parents sound like they might kick me out soon because they can't stand that I can't find something that is 40 hours a week with benefits.

I have no career path at all, and I don't really want to go back to school to get a M.A. I have no passion in life and it really hurts my career path because I don't have one, I don't know how to get a career path if you don't have an interest in anything. Most people want to be dentists, lawyers, dietitians, veterinarians, bussinessmen, accountants, etc. I just majored in a field that doesn't really have a career path, and I don't have anything specific I want to do. Hell, I can't even get a garbage job because some of them think I'm over-qualified, I know that's what it is. They see I have a college degree and don't want to hire me, I guess I could try looking for jobs in different cities but other then that I don't know what to do. It really is wearing on my nerves, I'm afraid one day I'm gonna snap and just have a complete meltdown over this shit. My parents don't have much nerve left either, and for those that are wondering I can't afford to support myself so that's why I live with my parents. I work part-time, no way I could even afford an apartment. And my parents would rather me work full-time then go and get a second part-time job.

I don't know what to do at this point, I wish I had a passion for a field so I could somehow focus on a career path. My mom is right though, most people my age probably have some kind of career path.
>>
>>38598825
Considering you never got an internship or made connections in college then there's a good chance you're fucked. That's one of the most important things you have to do in college/uni aside from not choosing a dumbass meme degree that'll fuck you for life. You fugged up Oh Bee.
>>
>>38598950
Well lots of people get liberal art degrees and a lot of them are working decent jobs, so they must be doing something right. Also not everyone got internships, I'm pretty sure about that.
>>
>>38598825
> Communications

There's your problem.
>>
>>38599098
I know, we don't need to sit and bring up the major choice. That ship has sailed, and frankly as I said already, lots of people are getting liberal arts degrees. Don't see how a Communications degree is any worse than a Creative Writing or English degree.
>>
>>38598980
>lots of people get lib art degrees and a lot of them are working decent jobs
What fucking planet are you on because that is nowhere close to being true. Maybe the lucky few who have actual talent in the field can net something good but the whole Starbucks barista thing didn't just pop up out of thin air. And either way, putting the fact you went communications aside if all you have to offer is a bachelors with no experience and no connections or internships, adding to the fact that you're only doing part time jobs good luck getting into the field you chose because that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. I'm not sure if it's something easy to freelance for as well, but you're shooting yourself in the foot here nonetheless.
>>
>>38599252
Well I need some options, I don't see the point in going back to school when I have no interest in anything. I was hoping just having a college degree in itself might be worth something, really I just lack passion and motivation at this point. I've been looking for a year and it's really affected my willpower, if anything as time goes on I'm slowly starting to just give up.
>>
>>38598825
You can go to grad school for anything if you have the right pre-reqs. Like, you could literally still go to medical school if you took bio, A&P, physics, and OChem, and got a good MCAT score. It's not likely and it'd be very difficult for someone without that background, but it is theoretically POSSIBLE.
>>
>>38599313
>I was hoping just having a college degree in itself might be worth something
You'd be right a few decades ago, but now things have changed. There aren't enough jobs for as much college graduates that are being pumped out, and a bachelor's alone won't get you far for most things nowadays. But if you don't have the motivation to do it then you won't get anywhere. It may suck but that's the world we live in. I'd suggest going the skilled trade route since college doesn't seem to be doing anything for you but I don't know how well you'd do there.
>>
>>38599384
Okay? Not sure what your point was, like I have no interest in medical school. The whole reason I didn't want to grad school is because it'd be a waste of time and money, I have no passion nor a career path. If I had a career path, or at least SOMETHING that I wanted to do for a living it'd be easier.

>>38599446
I have no experience in a blue-collar field, like welding, plumbing, electrical, etc. I really would prefer some kind of white-collar job, sometimes I think my age is an issue as well. I know that it's hard for someone with no professional experience to get a professional job, but some places surely would give me a chance I thought.
>>
>>38599494
I don't know what to tell you OP. Bachelors nowadays aren't worth the paper they're printed on, and you don't have anything else to bring to the table for interviews. You have to either shape up, sink to the bottom, or try to find something else.
>>
>>38599494
>Okay? Not sure what your point was, like I have no interest in medical school.
It was an example you ungrateful prick. The point was you could go to school for anything given the appropriate prepwork.

But if you're going to be an ambitionless whiner, go work a retail job for the next 40 years. I knew plenty of people doing just that in my brief time in retail.
>>
>>38599606
I know, it just sucks because I know you're right. I just have the degree and nothing else, but it'd be nice if someone could give me a chance. It's that age old question of "How do I get experience if I need experience to get the job?" If no employer is going to even give you a chance to get experience, then I don't know what to do.

I actually kind of hated college, and I could attempt to grad school but first I'd have to study for the GRE, and then I'd have to get a decent enough score on the damn thing to get excepted into grad school. I feel like I'd rather just keep job hunting. See to me I feel like the only people who go to grad school are people who KNOW what they want to do, like they have a specific career path that might require a Master's degree. Or perhaps maybe they just want a Master's degree because they know a Bachelor's won't do them any good, but still it seems like a waste of time and money to go to grad school and not know what you want to do for a career.

>>38599658
Well I didn't get that initially, you brought up a complete unrelated example so I wasn't sure what it is you were implying. And as I said already, it's a waste of time and money to attend grad school if you have no idea what you want to do.
>>
>>38598825
>BA in communication.

Hahaha. That's just as bad if not worse than my BA in political science.

How hard a time are your parents giving you? What state do you live in?

You probably are somewhat fucked in the head, so you might pull the I need therapy and support card on your parents. Since you are still covered by your parents' insurance plan, then you should be able to see a psychologist once a week for $10-$30

Look into volunteering for your local Democrat or Republican party and teaching English overseas. You'll need a tefl cert for tha latter
>>
>>38599943
Well I don't think I'm "fucked in the head" but I wouldn't mind getting counseling, obviously I'd want to keep it anonymous. I don't have any friends, and I work with a bunch of old people, nobody my own age.

>How hard a time are your parents giving?

Pretty hard, well sometimes they talk about kicking me out but I think it's just scare tactics. They always say "You have a college degree, I don't understand how you can't find a job when all these high school graduates are working full-time!" We usually have an argument about it once every week or two I'd say, it's been going on for about 8 months or so.

>What state do you live in?
Texas

>Teaching English overseas

I don't know if I'd want to do that, feel like you have to make a strong commitment to go overseas to another country and leave everything behind.
>>
>>38599732
>you brought up a complete unrelated example
>unrelated
How the hell is outlining the path to do something outside of what you initially studied unrelated to the point of being able to do something outside of what you studied for?
>>
Go apply for a wageless internship at a television or radio station. You won't be able to nail a paid internship especially with your lack of work experience. At some point they'll make it clear whether they want to start paying you, or they want you to take your experience and try to go somewhere else.
>>
>>38600277
I actually tried looking for an internship in my city, there aren't any. I live in a shitty blue collar redneck city, and none of the companies offer internships. At least when I tried searching it said there were no internships in my city, but I tried using a program online.

Guess I need to call a company and actually ask if they do internships.
>>
>>38600402
That'd be the way to go. If you're charismatic enough you might be able to get them to create some kind of internship. Just be insistent but not pushy and offer to show up so they know you're not a flake.
>>
>>38600780
The problem is most people get an internship at a company that is similar to what they want to do, like I don't even know where I'd go for an internship because I have no career path or passion.

I'd rather not just call random companies asking for an internship.
>>
>>38600402
>a shitty blue collar redneck city

This is not the right attitude to have if you're going to seriously look for work or an internship in your area.

Seems like a Comm major could fit well in the safety and compliance depts of many firms.

Try finding a job at one of these firms or ask for an informational interview.
>>
>>38600157
If you have BA in Communications, maybe try finding a school that offers air traffic control

t dallasfag
>>
>>38601223
Well we don't really have a lot of white collar companies in my town, it's mostly blue-collar stuff like chemical and steel factories, things like that. And a lot of those companies want people with 5-10 years of experience, especially to work in the administration department.

That's my problem is the experience, they won't let someone with any experience work in an office setting. There aren't even any entry level jobs that require no experience.
>>
>>38598825
Take the Johnson O'Connor aptitude test. Find a career utilizing your aptitudes. You might want to go to a cheap Community College or a trade school and get some usable qualifications. Get into welding or hvac or something. Even carpentry. You could even try for an operator position at a machine shop, you don't need experience, only basic math skills, work ethic, and common sense (better develop time management skills fast). Good luck OP
>>
>>38598825
You could always go back to get another undergrad degree. That's basically what I'm doing since I switched the summer before senior year (from Spanish to CompE).
>>
>>38598825
Why can't you be a pizza man?

list all the jobs you applied for, not like you have anything better to do.
>>
>>38602293
I've worked mostly shitty retail jobs, you know? Sales associate and what have you, they were mostly summer jobs because I attended college year round. It took me five years to get my undergraduate degree, during the time I wasn't working except during the summer.

>>38602104
I really would rather work white-collar over blue-collar. I hate how you have a better chance of getting a job in a blue-collar field like a factory worker or welding.
>>
>graduate from uni
>can't find a job
>think being a teacher will be easy
>take the basic skills test required to be a teacher
>get test back
>passed it, but only with a slightly above average score
>feel like absolute shit because people had posted testimonials of not studying and getting much, much higher scores than me
You needed a score of 123 to pass and I got a 141; since the test was 150 questions, I thought I only missed 9, but since's it scaled, I don't know what I raw score was. Looking at random images on Google, this one guy got a scaled score of 202 which makes my 141 look like my micropenis
>>
>>38602338
alright tell me watcha say when I ask what your biggest weakness is
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.