[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hows the job hunt going lads? >Graduated with a degree in

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 1498105616459.jpg (273KB, 1024x862px) Image search: [Google]
1498105616459.jpg
273KB, 1024x862px
Hows the job hunt going lads?

>Graduated with a degree in electrical engineering
>have applied to well over 700 jobs at this point
>have had 10-15 interviews tops, all either reject me with "we're looking for someone with more experience" or just outright never contact me again
>Have went to dozens of networking events, gave out my business card to loads of people, none have bothered keeping in touch
>14 months since I've graduated, not even close to getting a job

I'm at my wits end here pretty much. They say getting a job is a lot like dating, and I guess the analogy could not relate more to my situation. I don't even know what the fuck to tell an employer if they ask "what have you been doing these 14 months since graduating". Looking for a fucking job what do you think, no wait you want me to lie and say I've been building a jetpack just to tell me "oh that's nice" and never contact me again.

The hell was even the point of getting a degree if no one wants to hire fresh grads?
>>
Jesus christ

>Enrolled for EE
Am I fucked?
>>
>>38493848
What jobs you applying for. Are they are engineering related?
>>
File: applications.png (66KB, 1167x636px) Image search: [Google]
applications.png
66KB, 1167x636px
>>38493864
Do coop or something. Be friends with your prof. Honestly don't know if networking in school would have helped, but you may as well try while you still can.

>>38493870
All electrical engineering jobs. They all specify an EE degree needed.
>>
>no internship exp
>expect to get a job

hey here's a thought? why would they pay an engineers salary to someone who has no experience? you realize that working as an intern, you get paid a fraction of what a professional engineer gets right? companies can afford to hire new engineers with no experience but only while they are in school.

also whats ur gpa
>>
File: 1451104996648.jpg (824KB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
1451104996648.jpg
824KB, 3264x1840px
>>38493848
>I don't even know what the fuck to tell an employer if they ask "what have you been doing these 14 months since graduating".

Try explaining 7 years of NEET time.
>>
hahaha anon what are you even doing
>graduate with electrical technician diploma
>apply to 300 places in about a week on indeed
>15 interviews
then again I am white with a white name
>>
>>38493929
Mate there are no entry level jobs. And if there are, trust me I've pretty much applied to all of them.
>internships
Illegal for employers to hire new grads, you need to be still getting your degree. I've tried, and they all reject me on the basis that "you are already graduated, apply to other positions we're offering".

My GPA was shite, around 70%.
>>
you can't complete with all the pajeets and people who graduate degrees who apply online via indeed/career builder/etc.

you're going to have to just start showing up places cold... the old school way. yeah a lot of the time you'll get some roastie receptionist telling you "just apply online", but sometimes you get lucky.
>>
>>38493956
I'm white with a white name as well, I don't think that shit matters, just LE EXPERIENCE xD
>>
>>38493979
Do you have masters or bsc anon?
>>
>>38493946
Yeah it's pretty much impossible to get a job if you've been NEET for over 5 years. Dunno what I should do. I'm in my 30s and can't get employed.
>>
>>38494001
I had no experience son, lie. I make six figure snow
>>
>>38493848
Ive given up anything good and somehow i might get a dead end minimum wage job by month's end.
Mind you, it still took dozens of applications to get this far.
Going to fuck around as a wagie for a while and delay the inevitable suicide till im sick of it.
>>
>>38493985
Have tried going directly to places with my resume for specific positions posted online (for jobs I really wanted). They take my resume and then I never hear back from them.

>>38494004
Bachelors. I have not seen anyone ask for Masters.
>>
>>38494022
How the fuck am I supposed to lie about my experience mate?
>>
>>38494043
Make some shit up and get a friend to lie for you.
>>
Look outside your degree, possibly for something tangently related. Fortunately, EE is a versatile degree. That's been my philosophy so far, working an alright IT job in Network shit while I get my EE degree. I don't know if this works but I'm hoping it will.
>>
>>38494054
And get fired/blacklisted when they inevitably find out I was lying? Why would I gamble something like that?
>>
File: IMG_0746.png (431KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0746.png
431KB, 640x478px
>>38493848
Recent EE grad here. I got my current job by my buddy putting a good word in. Cushy government job. I didn't have any internship experience, just some mech.E job experience. I did have a decent gpa though and personal project stuff.
I know it's kinda of hard to expect this from r9k but try to milk those connections. Faculty, classmates who didn't hate you, etc. It works wonders. Keep at it OP, you can do it.
>>
>>38494070
I've gone as low as electrical technician and electronic assembly positions. They told me I'm overqualified.
I could go into software dev, sure, but I sincerely don't see how I could make the switch back to what I actually want to do; hardware.
>>
>>38494080
The worst that can happen is becoming unemployed... which you are. :^)
>>
>>38494082
How exactly do you ask for a friend to put in a good word for you? I barely talked to anyone in my degree, would it be ok to just ask randoms that were in my program but added me on linkedin?
>>
>>38493920

Make sure you select "Entry Level" on the experience filter. Some of those do not look like entry level jobs.
>>
>>38493848
Should've done accounting.
>>
>>38494150
Canada's version of indeed doesn't let you filter for entry level. I do try do it when I apply to the states though.
>>
>>38494151
Should have done a lot of things differently. Point is I pursued an EE degree because I've liked the stuff/tinkered with shit since I was 13.
>>
you have a degree... just join the military in officer candidate school. keep at it for 20 years and the military will send you a nice comfy retirement check for the rest of your life.
>>
Have you thought about getting some experience overseas?
Germany's economy is pretty good right now compared to the rest of the world and they have some English speaking companies.
My husband's an engineer and even though he is German he speaks only English at his job and most of his colleagues are foreigners.
Was his first job after college without experience too.

Just saying that is also an option to look into if you are really working as hard as you say when it comes to applying.
>>
Don't have a degree at 24, but have some work experience. Even though I've had like 4 difference pretty good jobs that paid over 40k annually I either lost them or quit. I recently left my current job to work at another place, but they pulled the rug from under me and decided I wasn't suitable for hire since I didn't have a great driving record and misdemeanor on my background check, so now I'm out of the job.

Violating that restraining order was the worst thing I have ever done. Don't mess with roasties kids.
>>
>>38494236
Thought about this. But I heard a bunch of stories about engineers that signed up for the military seeking engineering positions only to be sent out as infantry. I'm not looking to be a soldier here.

>>38494279
I haven't tried abroad, only across the border since I have dual citizenship.
I mean I can try, but I'm skeptical how well that would work out.
>>
>>38494417
1. Sign up for Air Force (chair force)
2. Do officer candidate school

you won't be "sent out as infantry"
>>
>>38493848
The bad news is that I'm 21.5 and I haven't even finished my sophomore year of college. The good news is that unless something comes up in my background check, I'm going to work 26 hours a week and get paid $18 an hour. The position is only for three months, but they'll extend it if I do well. I'm going to cold call people while they eat dinner.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.