[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you overcome nihilism? Did you fill the emptiness with

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 11

File: hqdefault (3).jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (3).jpg
8KB, 480x360px
How did you overcome nihilism? Did you fill the emptiness with materialism like a disgusting normie faggot? Did you fill the void by transcendence through metaphysics?

Or did you give up all together?
It seems to me society has not solved this problem
>>
Hatred mostly. Nothing matters except getting even, and ruining life for my enemies and their family/associates.
>>
>>38469332
>How did you overcome nihilism?
I didn't, i come to be a nihilist defeatist(I know, pathetic). But most people that did overcome it used Christianity or Buddhism.
>>
Hedonism, eat, drink, masturbate, sleep, repeat.
>>
>>38469332
Nietzsche himself wasn't able to overcome it and went crazy, what makes you think I can
>>
>>38469332
You never do, I tried Taoism, Khaggavisana Sutta and the emptiness is still there, sometimes I wish materialism and hedonism could be more attractive. Both the spiritual and the pursuit of vain enjoyment are equally meaningless.
>>
>>38469487
How does this not cause an epidemic of suicide amongst normal fags? Do they not realize their lives gave no meaning?
>>
>>38469509
Not that anon. But the normalfags(with notable exceptions) are not intelligent enough to get this conclusion.
>>
>>38469509
Living is more fun than being dead until it's not, then people off themselves. Just because life is pointless doesn't mean you can't find happiness in something.
>>
>>38469332
By not giving a fuck and smoking cigarettes
>>
I'm not fat, but every time I try a new exercise or diet routine, or any self improvement exercise after a couple of weeks I just end up going "what's the point". and in a sense I'm right. I can't figure out what is genuinely worthwhile. I don't think there is much genuinely worthwhile.
>>
>>38469649
I agree with this. I can't sustain normie hood because I literally can't delude myself enough to believe in it.
>>
>>38469332
I fill it with hedonism and an apathetic attitude toward life.
>>
>>38469706
pretty much
this is the story of my life
commit to things for a month and then question why exactly and drop all enthusiasm
>>
>>38469332
Avoidance of physical pain and the pursuit of achieving comfyness solves the problem of German Idealism.
>>
>>38469784
No it doesn't. You're just hiding the problem exactly like the Christians did
>>
>>38469876
Eh, works well enough for me personally. At least, well enough for me to be satisfied most of the time.

Still get occasional pangs of existential dread.
>>
>>38469332
i realized i could either

>have no cares or resonsibility
>but then nothing matters to me

or I could

>reverse it and have everything matter
>live with the consequence/responsibility of that

You wonder why your life is so sad and empty... its because you are fundamentally lazy

You would rather bitch and moan and be empty than bear the burden of living out your potential.

Nihilism is for children
>>
>>38469972
>reddit spacing
why i am not surprised
>>
>>38469997
>anyone who disagrees with me is reddit
>>
File: 1484748316992.png (260KB, 549x403px) Image search: [Google]
1484748316992.png
260KB, 549x403px
>>38469332
I realized that nihilism was just cognitive depression.

Rather than "feeling empty" you "think empty", that nothing has justification.

Justification is socially relative. We apply meanings to things, because other people apply meaning to them. Westerners don't eat dogs, for example, but some Asians do; dogs mean something to a westerner, just by association..

One who has no morals is either:
>Cognitively immoral
Doesn't understand morality within society ; mentally handicapped, children, retards
>Linguistically immoral
Doesn't understand society, therefore can't fathom morality; autists, schizos, etc
>Empathically immoral
psychopaths, sociopaths, recluses.

If there's a deficit within any of these, you cease to be a moral person, either lacking justification, the ability to justify, or the understanding of justice. So what meaning does life have?

Life is nothing.. We are born to die. And then what? Infinity of nothingness, or maybe an eternity of some vague shitty afterlife. Right now, what matters to you? Food, drink, sleep. If there's a nuance beside that, maybe a nostalgic video game that you played with your brother, that brings back warm feelings.. And you realize the feeling isn't the same anymore.. It's because meaning is built by you and the people around you.
>>
>>38469972
Not lazy... directionless.
You crave to act in the most rational way, yet you accept that you will never have access to, or be able to comprehend, the requisite amount of data to make such action possible.

Therefore, you revert to simply enjoying the pleasures that are most on hand, for it makes no sense to strive for something "greater" because it is unclear what "greater" actually is.
>>
>>38469972
>listens to jordan peterson once

look. it sounds all nice in theory but in practice it's not the same. especially in this corrupted world.
>>
>>38470039
good spot... but i think hes right, and many of you use being "smart" as an excuse to cop out of life. and the truth is many of you think youre smarter than you actually are
>>
>>38470068
No, not smart. I use the fact that I'm ugly and probably mildly autistic. I will never have a fulfilling life in this world so to delude myself into thinking it's possible would only set myself to fall even harder.
>>
>>38469332
I came to appreciate that meaningless is itself meaningless. By this I mean, "meaning" is not some thing that the world offers, it's something that we fabricate for ourselves. Nihilism is a situation in which you believe in meaning, and then you lose it---but there's only a problem because you think there really should be something there. Meaning OUGHT TO be there, and the great tragedy of the world is that it isn't! In my view, your issue isn't meaningless per se, but dissonance.
However, society can't solve this problem, because society is totally dependent on reification. Law has to be more than just some thing that people go on about, money has to be more than just an insistence on paying taxes, norms have to be more than just withering looks. So society is caught in a bind of needing "real concepts," society needs there to be objects casting the shadows. This ennui, then, is society insisting that there is meaning, but failing to offer anything up.
This perspective has its own serious problems, but nihilism isn't one of them, because nihilism is incoherent.
>>
>>38469332
I didn't.

The inescapable truth is that life cannot possibly have a meaning, because meaning is an element of communication rather than an inherent property of reality. Pretending otherwise doesn't appeal to me, so I just kind of... accept it. I go to my dead-end shit job and perform the menial tasks I agreed to a decade ago, I go to my gym and apply forces to conveniently-shaped pieces of metal, I eat prepared and packaged chunks of dead animal and dead plant, I watch my bank account approach 4.7 digits, and I patiently await death.
>>
>>38470026
if you want to act in the most rational way, wouldn't it be most rational to use the information available to you? and not the information you perceive as grander than you? If it is grander than you are, it would be of no use to you... maybe you can fufill you purpose by actually trying with the tools available to you, and not getting little dick syndrome about every facet of information and existence that will never be relevant to you
>>
>>38470127
This strikes me as a nightmare. You've already died and are just going through the motions
>>
File: smiling man of victory.png (92KB, 666x420px) Image search: [Google]
smiling man of victory.png
92KB, 666x420px
>overcome it
I didn't, and I'm glad
I can do whatever I want, be a leech or a killer or a thief or a nice guy
It's a great freedom to have and I don't know why it upsets so many that in the END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTTER
>>
>>38470127
meaning is subjective. its about finding out what feels meaningful to you. its not some black and white thing. youre just too lazy to actually look or try
>>
>>38470127
Well put, anon.

I have a book, The Conspiracy Against The Human Race by Thomas Ligotti, that deals in part with what, if any ways we have to deal with meaninglessness. There's a part where he talks about I think 5 different main ways people use to escape it and I'll post a few segments if other anons are interested.
>>
>>38470155
I haven't died. I still metabolize. I still move. I can still exert forces upon the world, some of which may create ripples that outlast me.

I guess I just don't care if my existence matters anymore. It's happening, it's going to continue happening for a few more decades unless I don an exit bag, but in the meantime I get to listen to music, watch cartoons, and imbibe chemicals ending in -ol.
>>
>>38470204
Sounds interesting, would like to see how others cope

>>38470159
I envy people like you who truly give no fucks
>>
>>38470194
No. Meaning is an element of communication. It's the idea inside your mind that you try to transmit to other minds by making sounds or etching symbols into a slab or doing interpretive dance or whatever. 'Meaning' is just another name for an idea that you're trying to communicate, and as such it cannot possibly exist as a background property of reality, unless reality was explicitly created by a sentient mind to transmit information to another comparable mind.

Too many people conflate 'meaning' with 'purpose' or 'value,' including paid and published philosophers.
>>
>>38470194
finding your own meaning is post modernist meme that doesn't work

meaning can only work for humans if it's socially reciprocated. The world's greatest athletes wouldn't find meaning in their craft if they weren't making some impact socially.
Meaning is inherently tethered to it's social efficacy.
>>
My nihilism stemmed from the idea that humanity was insignificant given the scale of the universe

I overcame this by realising that if we are able to survive as a species, eventually we could last long enough and spread far enough that we wouldn't be so insignificant. It is technically feasible for humanity to survive billions of years and spread to millions of star systems. If that happened then we wouldn't be insignificant in my view, and my genes and my work will live on as some small part of that massive system

Of course this is not a flawless response to nihilism, it just works for me. One could argue that even if humanity was as old as the universe and existed on every single planet it still wouldn't matter, and they'd be right. But to me building a civilisation billions that could last billions of years is intrinsically interesting.
>>
>>38470260
>>38470285
you guys are fucking sad... So you need other people to make you feel good and affirm you or your passions are meaningless? Thats have children and adolescents behave.. doing things so other people think they are worthy or worthwhile. What a sad way to live
>>
>>38470354
This definately doesn't solve the problem but okay
>>
>>38470379

it's not even really a problem though
>>
>>38470194
>meaning is subjective
When people say meaning, they are referring to something inherently objective. subjective meaning is meaningless. It's just a goal at that point
>>
>>38470407
haha what do you believe in predestination too? you think meaning is some black and white thing. Thats the best part about it, you get to choose what makes you feel fufilled. what do you mean subjective meaning is meaningless?
>>
>>38470373
I see you're still at the stage of human understanding where you think people have a large amount of control over their evolutionary pathways.

I think you're confusing meaning with "purpose".
>>
I didn't really overcome it. I succumbed to it until I no longer see a person in the mirror, but a meat machine with no destiny to control. Creating meaning is just playing a game of make believe.
>>
>>38470218
In a passage about Peter Wessel Zappfe's theories about how people narrow the scope of consciousness to make it more bearable:

"(1) ISOLATION. So that we may live without going into a free-fall of trepidation, we isolate the dire facts of being alive by relegating them to a remote compartment of our minds. They are the lunatic family members in the attic whose existence we deny in a conspiracy of silence.

(2) ANCHORING. To stabilize our lives in the tempestuous waters of chaos, we conspire to anchor them in metaphysical and institutional "verities" - God, Morality, Natural Law, Country, Family - that inebriates us with a sense of being officiial, authentic, and safe for our beds.
(3) DISTRACTION. To keep our minds unreflective of a world of horrors, we distract them with a world of triling or momentous trash. The most operant method for furthering the conspiracy, it is in continuous employ and demands only that people keep their eye on the call - or their television sets, their government's foreign policy, their science projects, their careers, their place in society or the universe, etc.
(4) SUBLIMATION. That we might annul a paralyzing stage fright at what may happen to even the soundest bodies and minds, we sublimate our fears by making an open display of them."

I'd say the vast amount of normies do a combination of 1, 2, and 3. Only artists and philosophers tend to deal with meaninglessness by trying to show everybody how bleak and meaningless shit is.
>>
>>38470260
>Too many people conflate 'meaning' with 'purpose' or 'value,' including paid and published philosophers.
Words are polysemantic; they have multiple senses. Meaning can mean, the sense in which we use a word, and it can also mean purpose, and it can also have senses like "what is the meaning of this!" and "he gave me a meaningful glance." This isn't some irresponsible conflation, it's just the way language actually works.
>>
>>38470419
He means you can't induce meaning subjectively since the meaning fulness of the universe (or its lack there of) is an objective property (or not)

These tony Robbins "just make your own meaning lol" are just nihilist without admitting it
>>
>>38470427
youre trying to sound smart because you dont really have much to say. Evolutionary pathways? People who are actually smart dont try to speak above the common man.. you can reach more people that way
>>
>>38470419
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhUMbHu8Ztc
>>
>>38470451
But why would you bother? Fuck the plebs
>>
>>38470451
I thought I was speaking to someone of at least average level intelligent.

Evolutionary pathways are a pretty basic thing when talking about human behavior. 99% of human behavior is determined by a set of tracks that have already been laid out in the previous hundreds of thousands of years +
>>
>>38470354
But if the universe is infinitely large, even if humanity were to colonize millions of star systems over billions of years we would still be infinitesimally small on the scale of the universe.
>>
>>38470497
Space colonization is objectively just a distraction. It kicks the can down the road indefinitely.
>>
>>38470497

i agree and i addressed that in my last paragraph, there is no objective meaning
>>
I'm trying to believe in God but it's hard at the same time
>>
>>38470449
>since the meaning fulness of the universe (or lack there of) is an objective property (or not)

I have no idea what you mean by the meaning fulness of the universe, but to me it sounds like you are saying everything has a place in the universe where its meant to be.

but what if nothing is supposed to be anywhere and nothing matters? i think its pretty likely

so it really comes down to if you believe there is objective meaning to the universe, god and predestiation and all that

if not, the only meaning there is is subjective meaning, or the things that make you feel fufilled in your life... that would be the only meaning there is outside of an "objective" universe, which i doubt is likely
>>
>>38470373
>So you need other people to make you feel good

I'm not sure how you got that out of anything I posted.
>>
>>38469332
It's not something you can solve or overcome, all you can do is ignore it and distract yourself. Not even the edgiest robot sits around thinking that everything is meaningless 24/7, eventually he will get bored with that and go watch some anime. Normies are lucky in that their lives have always been too busy and fun so they never ended up thinking about this in the first place. It's only a problem for losers with no lives, and the real problem is the fact that they are losers with no lives.
>>
>>38470554
Of course there is no meaning. Jees the whole problem is that the universe is meaningless
>>
>>38470557
i was speaking for two of you so im sorry about that, but to me it seems like youre changing the context of the argument by getting technical about the definition of the word meaning.. if you look meaning as purpose or reason for being it holds up
>>
>>38470419

>what do you mean subjective meaning is meaningless?

can you define meaning? I can't seem to, the answer lies somewhere here
>>
>>38470497
>>38470520
>>38470523

Another thought. If the universe is infinite, it's mathematically certain that an infinite amount of copies of planet earth, as well as yourself out there in the cosmos right now. Somewhere out there, anon was born Chad. There's also a planet earth populated by bird people, etc.
>>
>>38470583
what im getting at is the logical conclusion is to derive your own meaning, and not take the nihilist approach because you are too scared or lazy to bear the burden of your potential, and the responsibilities that come with that
>>
>>38470613

the universe is not infinite, it's merely expanding. there is an edge to the universe.

you are confused with dimensions/realities
>>
>>38470610
by "meaning", i mean what makes you feel fufilled in life, and what makes it worth living. what gives you a sense of purpose i guess
>>
>>38470613
Right. Even this slice of the pie is not unique (possible).

Holy Fuck modern science is the most bleak nihilistic shit ever. Literally every discovery in the past 500 years has been "everything you thought mattered was wrong and you are meaningless" don't know why people keep bothering with science.

Do they think if they just keep trying eventually they'll find the wizard? They won't.
>>
File: life's a birch.jpg (485KB, 1541x1679px) Image search: [Google]
life's a birch.jpg
485KB, 1541x1679px
>>38470436
What is the meaning of this tree?

It's a nonsensical question, isn't it. It's just a birch tree. It doesn't have a meaning, it wasn't created to transmit information, it just kind of happened. The latest in a long chain of complex chemical accidents.

This is how it feels to me pondering 'the meaning of life.' It doesn't have a meaning, it just kind of happened.
>>
>>38470624
You're not listening anon. because you "invent some subjective meaning" is itself a mere delusion. You're not really inducing meaning in the cosmos by going "I believe in x!"
>>
>>38470654
ok I think I have some clarity in which I can convey my thoughts

The word meaning is sort of ambiguous but when someone asks what is the meaning to life? Are they asking what makes me fulfilled? No, they're asking, what's the point? What's the reason for all this? The answer to this question can't be subjective.
>>
>>38470605
You can't really have an argument if you're not specific and explicit about the words you're arguing about. We couldn't have a real conversation about 'the yarble of life' if we couldn't come to an agreement about what a yarble was, now could we?
>>
>>38470127
>because meaning is an element of communication rather than an inherent property of reality.

this is just disingenuous retardation word games

"meaning" in this context means something like 'ultimate purpose', 'objective significance', and not meaning as in "what it the meaning of the word horse?"
>>
>>38470671
Actually the tree literally does convey genetic information read Dawkins
>>
>>38470690
again it gets brought back to the comsic scale. its like you have some sort of hero complex, where you think god and the universe will say "yes this is correct".

Nothing matters dude. its just about doing your thing, and having what you do make you happy and make you feel as though you are contributing something worthwhile to the world. theres no grandiose cosmic scale that is going to evaluate you and say whether or not what you do is meaningful. it all comes down to what things mean to you personally
>>
>>38470737
i think purpose and meaning are very close in meaning, so its fair to assume that if you misunderstood that i was talking about one, i was probably talking about the other. Yarble? theres no word even remotely close to that.
Again youre just shifting the goal posts around
>>
>>38470796
You go from this

>nothing matters lol

To this

>just be happy!

As if these positions can be reconciled
>>
>>38470758
>"meaning" in this context means something like 'ultimate purpose', 'objective significance',

So you believe in God then.

There is no 'objective significance' otherwise. The universe does not care if you're a physicist or a big horn sheep or an icy dwarf planet or an accretion disk. The only way to be completely objective is to become an object, i.e. to die. And from that perspective, nothing is significant.

'Ultimate purpose' falls into the same whole. Who's purpose? Where is the mind that holds the intent behind the thing you're supposing has a purpose?
>>
>>38470828
I'm really not. I've stated that 'meaning' doesn't mean what bush league philosophers suppose, and you haven't really refuted me.

If we're being really strict, none of this has anything to do with OP's question.
>>
>>38470848
It's like you understand the problem, but can't fathom that it is a problem
>>
>>38470831
they can be... its because nothing matters that its so easy to be happy. You get to decide, and if what you decided on isn't doing it for you, you can find something else. Maybe it would be easier if there was a black and white answer, but there isnt. its not about whats easy. thats why i keep saying you can have nothing matter, and be a nihilist, or you can have everything matter, but if things matter than you have to bear the burden of your potential and the responsibilites that come with it
>>
>>38470880
how can i refute your opinion? you think meaning and purpose are different, they are. Colloquially they are the same. this isnt a doctoral dissertation, so i was speaking colloquially. you didnt understand that
>>
>>38470894
I just decided it's not a problem. I'm going to die either way, so what difference does it make how I feel about it?
>>
>>38470671
then you are deficient in understanding how language works

would you set the table?
nice set of tits
history is set in stone
the set of prime numbers is infinite
set of golf clubs
set the stage
musician played his set
two sets of tennis
the sun set
ready, set, go
set the rules
set the fastest lap record
set the house on fire
set the diamond within the ring
dining set
typeset
set a broken bone
set my dog on you
set the clock 5 minutes ahead
we are set to go
his eyes set on the young girl
set in prime property in an upcoming neighbourhood

"meaning" like "set" has multiple ways of being used
>>
>>38470901
>its because nothing matters that its so easy to be happy.

Is this literally the best society can do to resolve the meaning paradox? This is some seriously discouraging shit.
>>
>>38470497
> we would still be infinitesimally small on the scale of the universe.

whose view is this? there is no 'universe wide' view. it's just you imagining the universe from a wide scale, while forgetting it's you -a subjective human- doing the imagining
>>
>>38470947
Values aren't artifacts you find, they're choices you make. You're here. You exist. Make a decision and act on it.
>>
>>38470901
lmao you have absolutely zero idea what meaning actually entails
>>
>>38470964
Okay. I'm not sure what you think this means but I assure you it's not much
>>
>>38470987
do you think meaning is an objective thing? if so do you care to describe it to me?
>>
>>38471001
Well if it exists at all it definately not subjective
>>
>>38470993
It's a solution to the meaning paradox. There is no inherent 'meaning of life' so you just make one up, and your guess is exactly as good as everyone else's.
>>
>people imagining the universe as an objective 'thing' that you exist within, which does not have it's own view
>naive realism
>being retards
>>
>>38471001
yes. to limit true suffering as much as possible.
>>
>>38471024
That's not a solution. That's basically the existential equivalent of pretending there is no problem
>>
>>38471023
"if" its exists
>lmao you have absolutely zero idea what meaning actually entails

and you sounded so sure of yourself
>>
Fucking plebs, nihilism is supposed to be empowering, not depressing. You're fucking stupid and need to go read some philosophy books.
>>
>>38471062
That's not me fuckwad
>>
>>38470920
But your words derive from concepts. You have this concept called 'meaning' and this other concept called 'purpose' existing in your mind in a kind of Venn diagram booby bubble, and I would just like for you to make the middle region where they overlap smaller.

Yes, words have technical meanings and colloquial meanings, but I don't think that distinction is really relevant or particularly satisfying when you're trying to answer what has been The Big Question since humans started asking themselves big questions.
>>
>>38471051
what makes you think your answer is better than anyone elses? or are you god?
>>
>>38471074
im sorry.. I got smug there for a min
>>
>>38471080
thats fair and i respect that
>>
Average age of poster in /lit/ philosophy thread:

>25 years old

How well-read the average poster is in philosophy:

>97.5% well-read

Average age of poster in /r9k/ philosophy thread:

>16 years old

How well-read the average poster is in philosophy:

>2.37%

Please just stop.
>>
>>38471114
be constructive or get out fag
>>
>>38471114
Fuck off lit faggot this thread is 100% better than all lit tards combined

Go back to sucking off kirkrgaard you nigger
>>
>>38471060
That's because no "real" solution exists. Life doesn't have a purpose, it just kind of happened. A long and ancient series of physical and chemical accidents. If you want your life to have a purpose, you either create one or you copy someone else's. It all boils down to simply deciding what's important to you and what isn't. Be the Nietzschean ubermensch. "This is important because I said so."
>>
>>38471130
>>38471132
Go spend a couple hundred/thousand bucks and take some philosophy courses at your local university, then return to the thread and continue posting.
>>
>>38471156
I have more academic qualification than you probably lol
>>
>>38471156
would you please teach me something mr. smart faggot? you seem so smart and cool
>>
>>38471130
>>38471132
>>38471156
Be sure to include a class on buddhism because this thread has no permanence.
>>
How I overcame nihilism.
>grab knife
>cut myself
Pain is a real sensation that should be avoided. The pain is real. Therefore the meaning of life is to overcome pain and suffering. Nihilism is gay.
>>
I just practice art constantly
>>
>>38471082
this seems like a pointless exercise. you sound like an edgy 15 year old who thinks his ideas are superior no matter what
>>
>>38471353
>projecting this hard
try again
>>
>>38471347
This works for now. But it's still a distraction
>>
Nihilism is doing nothing because of considerations for vast concepts that have no bearing on your every day doings anyway.
Take a step back and find something to improve every day, yourself, your dwellings, possessions.
Wage war against weakness, overcome.
>>
File: 1500121949486.jpg (176KB, 1262x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1500121949486.jpg
176KB, 1262x1500px
Shitposting on r9k has meaning. So does looking at qt 2D waifus. Stop being a nihilist.
>>
>>38471645
Or don't, it's all the same anyways.
>>
File: bern.png (27KB, 215x203px) Image search: [Google]
bern.png
27KB, 215x203px
>>38469332
>be a modern-day logical philosopher
>don't have to worry about this

Protip: If you belive that no course of action is better than any other, then you have no reason to continue being a nihilist. You can thank me later.
>>
>>38471769
In grand irrelevant schemes and scopes, yes, it's all the same.
>>
>>38471885
What do I do instead?
>>
>>38469332
I forgot about it. please help
>>
>>38471885
You have no reason to stop being a nihilist either though
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 238x212px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 238x212px
>>38471885
>this is what logical positivists actually believe
>>
Nihilism feels a bit to me like a societal OCD. It is self protective and circular and potentially never ending. I don't feel like I can do the subject any justice because I can't relate to it. Not because I never had these experiences/thoughts but perhaps because there is a very deep underlying difference because of which I can't fully grasp the idea of Nihilism to the point where I can't relate to my old Nihilistic self. I'm pretty sure the exact opposite is the case with you, you can't understand how someone can NOT be Nihilistic and most reasons I see given are usually: non Nihilistic people are stupid, defeatists, brainwashed etc which sound more like weak excuses than solid reasons. I'm not sure what "meaning" means to you but if the emptiness is something the sadness you or scares you then know that you are not alone; as humans we are not smart enough to find universal meaning, but we are too smart to live without one, and that is our curse. But question your assumptions for a moment, are you closer to the truth than the "disgusting normie faggot" because you realize that meaning does not exist? If so, then Nihilism ITSELF is your meaning and you are only living to either kill it or feed it. If not, then you have your answer: whether meaning exists or not is the wrong question, the normie fag is happier than you even though you both are equally lost. Which makes this is more of a matter of your inner health and perspective than a matter of hardcore logic.
>>
>>38471949
Anything you want. I suggest believing is some sort of goal that will give your life structure, like art or having children.

>>38471958
If you don't like it then you may as well move away from it.

>>38471985
>u cannot kno nothings
>>
>>38472029
what a crock of bullshit. That's still being nihilistic you're just also now a hedonist in addition.
>>
>>38472029
what if I want to rape babies?
>>
>>38472049
Pearls before swine. Just remember that you had a way out of your nihilism and chose not to take it because of factors that, according to your own nihilism, shouldn't matter.

>>38472077
If you're a nihilist then you'd be more than welcome to. All the more reason to move away from it.
>>
>>38472094
So you're still a nihilist? You just don't like doing bad things and like to pretend that things matter?
>>
>>38469332
With sheer hatred.
Hatred towards myself, I deserve to suffer as much as humanly possible to pay for all the lives I've ruined.
>>
>>38472123
What a crybaby, LOL
>>
>>38472106
If you are a nihilist, and therefore do not believe that truth is valuable, on what grounds do you find this displeasing?
>>
>>38472137
So you're entire argument is that since nothing matters and that truth isn't valuable we can believe whatever we like, and since nihilism isn't cool anymore we should pretend things matter?

As for myself I find your dishonesty displeasing
>>
Nihilism is a defeatist crutch, it's used to justify and absolve peoples inability to accomplish what they want, it validates their powerlessness and provides them with an excuse which can not be logically known, it justifies itself this way while failing to realize the concept of 'meaning' is an arbitrary spook in itself, meaning is subjective, whether it is there or not is on any given person but you aren't interested in that, you just want to validate and excuse your failure to achieve your wants and validate your dissatisfaction as legitimate and outside of your control.

You abuse philosophical nihilism as soothing defeat that absolves you from obligations to yourself, your weakness is allowed as 'it doesn't matter anyway'.

You'll come round and realize this angle will bring nothing of value into your life at some point and than you'll start trying to obtain satisfaction in a more constructive, pragmatic, immediate and practical manner that does add value to your experience of life.

Read Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
>>
>>38472209
None of this disproves it though.
>>
>>38472216
So you are relying on the same crutch that kept religion afloat for thousands of years? Ironic don't you think? "It can not be known therefor believe'
>>
>>38472176
>So you're entire argument is that since nothing matters and that truth isn't valuable we can believe whatever we like
Yes. Please don't pretend that there's some flaw in this logic. You either accept this, or you're an even bigger hypocrite because you're valuing values while claiming not to hold any.
>>
>>38472223
No, I'm saying that's what you're doing. All the evidence points to nothing mattering. You're only argument is "Nothing mattering sucks, so I reject it" The same reason most theists reject atheism.

>>38472249
Why don't you just admit that you're still a nihilist then? Would it make you look uncool in front of your philosopher friends?
>>
>>38472266
No I am saying nothing has to 'matter', meaning itself is not an objective criteria or property that must be fulfilled, it's an invalid non objective parameter and therefor it has no place being associated with logic.
>>
>>38472266
I never claimed otherwise. I was only pointing out that nihilism is a dead end, and that one can safely dismiss it and move on to another belief of their choice if they wish.
>>
>>38472289
I'll go even further, 'meaning' in this context is a concept derived from religion, not logic.
>>
File: 1497305902001.jpg (57KB, 524x468px) Image search: [Google]
1497305902001.jpg
57KB, 524x468px
Realize that if you are born today you will probably live forever (well not technically but whatever) due to robotics becoming more advanced and humans likely merging with robots very soon. Even if life is meaningless then you can just embrace it, you literally have all the time you could ever possibly want so why not just use it to fuck around and have fun?
>>
>>38472315
I'll admit it's a dead end, but that doesn't stop it from being true. I'd much rather philosophers admitted this rather than peddling some kind of magic cure for nihilism. You can continue to delve into philosophy and logic just don't ridicule people that want to step off here.

>>38472289
speak english please
>>
>>38472369
It is true, but if you're an actual nihilist then that doesn't matter. The only way that you would not leave upon getting there is either because you're too stupid to understand what I've been telling you, or that you simply enjoy being there, in which case complaining about it is ridiculous. That's why I was mocking the people who did so; I don't know if you were one of them or not.
>>
>>38472406
please think about what you're typing next time
>>
>>38472406
You seem to think a post nihilist position exists. But it doesn't
>>
>>38469332
i let it kill me and reborn as superior me. i do it all the time.
>>
>>38472424
It does, but it's purely theoretical, like discussing what ghosts look like. I wouldn't bash anyone for participating in such conversation but when they insult be for not getting involved it's really quite obnoxious.
>>
>>38472450
>something that is purely theoretical is actually real
>>
>>38472423
Sorry brainlet.

>>38472424
If you think that understanding all of this but having a whole value/belief system isn't a "post nihilist position", then I suppose you would be right technically, but certainly not practically.
>>
>>38472463
It depends on how you define real
>>
>>38472463
They need to pretend it's real or else they are out of a job. examples ITT
>>
>>38472466
What value belief system? A post nihilist one? You mean one that doesn't exist?
>>
>>38469332
>transcendence through metaphysics
LOL
>>
>>38472504
Any one that you want. Why do you care if it "exists" or not when you're a nihilist?
>>
>>38472532
Probably a better option than the outright delusion most robots picked.
>>
most "nihilists" are just hedonists in disguise

even someone as close to true nihilism like GG allin pussied out of his own suicide and died with a heroin overdose
>>
>>38472545
Nihilism is where the society is, post nihilism is where we need to be.
>>
>>38472545
You're entire argument is based on nihilism being true. I'm pretty sure this tread is a case closed
>>
>>38472565
This has no relevance to anything.

>>38472572
For the millionth time, the fact that it is true makes it so that you have no reason to belive in it. You simply aren't intelligent enough to grasp this, but the real idiot is me for even getting into this discussion. The real reason that you keep your nihilism is because you're enamored with your own suffering, not because of what you think is real or not. Feel free to count this as a win, you've lost at life regardless.
>>
>>38472613
>Feel free to count this as a win
thanks

see you around
>>
>>38472613
FN explicitly stated that nihilism will be the condition resulting from the death of morality in the 20th century. He said post nihilism us the transcendent condition we need to somehow achieve after nihilism. You saying he's wrong?
>>
>>38469487
He went crazy because he got syphilis from a prostitute and it went untreated. The virus then spread to his brain and caused dementia and brain damage. Reportedly he stripped naked, embraced a horse in the streets, and spoke of shooting the Kaiser. He was hauled off to a mental hospital, where he did some years later from heart complications. Again, from syphilis.
>>
>>38469332
Nihilism never got the better of me in the first place.
Indeed, whatever meaning's behind things is up to the individual really.
Then again, what of it, that every human motivation boils down to egoism, even altruism ironically, won't make me cease to derive joy from the happiness of those I care for or grow fond of either.
>>
>>38471259
That's motivating.
>>
>>38469636
>Camus

>Life sucks
>Should I kill myself?
>nah, nothingness blows

I fucking love his stuff.
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.