[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who else here fantasizes about being a hunter-gatherer in

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

File: hunter-gatherer.jpg (159KB, 500x444px) Image search: [Google]
hunter-gatherer.jpg
159KB, 500x444px
who else here fantasizes about being a hunter-gatherer in the Paleolithic era?
>>
You can still buy a cabin somewhere and live off basic farming, hunting, and fishing you know
>>
File: breakingnews.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
breakingnews.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>38452705
Thats the spirit op! Don't stop.
>>
>>38452721
How do I do this, given land is mostly owned by other poeple?

How do I sustain myself for multiple years, be it seed-wise, fertilizer, basic supplies? Whom do I trade with and how am I supposed to keep with industrialized agriculture? How do I defend myself against looting? What about infections - where do I get the medicine, be it natural in the form of herbs or manmade antibiotics?
>>
>>38452721
Perhaps. But unless I could convince others to join me, it would be very lonely.
Another thing is I wouldn't be able to be nomadic. I could be a settled hunter-gatherer with shelter built by civilisation like you suggest, but I'd never be a nomad. That would require me to be part of a troop, as well as there to be other troops in the area like with other primates. I'd also never survive as a nomad because my domesticated genes are much too weak and ill-fitted, I would surely die and/or go insane.
>>
>>38452769
>How do I do this, given land is mostly owned by other poeple?
yeah unless you're going to some uninhabited island in Indonesia or something, most fertile land is controlled by civilised people.
>>
>>38452769
>given land is mostly owned by other people?

You buy the land. Land is very cheap out in bumfuck. In the US, for example, you can buy several acres of land for a few thousand dollars if you wanted to.

>seeds

These are bought, found, or created by the plants you grow. Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nitrogen-fixing_crops

>fertilizer

You get this if you keep animals, or from composting.

>basic supplies

Buying and trading. You can't specialize enough on your own to make every single thing you need to live a decent life.

>Whom do I trade with

Locals. Sell pelts, gold, rare minerals, rare plants, and handicraft.

>how am I supposed to keep up with industrialized agriculture?

You don't need to.

>defending against looting

You do this by being what modern society consider to be "poor", you live in the forest far away from most criminals. You can keep things both hidden and locked away. You can also set traps and carry weapons.

>infections

Herbal remedies are vastly inferior to modern drugs. You're better off having a supply of modern pharmaceutical drugs.

>>38452790
>it would be very lonely.

Yep. But there are already Western people who live like this. You could probably find a community of like-minded people.

>I wouldn't be able to be nomadic.

Yeah. But being nomadic fucking sucks. That's why nearly all the people in the world have a permanent place to stay. You constantly need to pack shit, move shit, set things up and put things down again. It takes a lot of time and energy. It's an extremely ineffective way of managing resources. An option could be to have a base camp, and then move around in that general area for a few days at a time.

>I'd also never survive as a nomad because my domesticated genes are much too weak and ill-fitted

You can't really know this until you've tried.
I think you are much more capable than you think.

>I would surely die

You're already dying
>>
>>38452705
I don't imagine being one, but I sometimes imagine how it could have been
I imagine life was cruel but must have been epic with all these large animals, from giant sloths and armadillos, to giant monitors and birds

Crossing the oceans and colonizing islands must have been an interesting experience as well

And interaction between different kinds of early humans
>>
File: glyptodon.jpg (15KB, 260x164px) Image search: [Google]
glyptodon.jpg
15KB, 260x164px
>>38453040
>all these large animals, from giant sloths and armadillos, to giant monitors and birds

Damn, I never thought about that actually. I thought these animals like glyptodon, megatherium, etc. went extinct millions of years ago but they actually mostly lived up until ~10,000 years ago, around the end of the last Ice Age. Pretty fucking metal, I wish the armadillos still existed.
>>
Extremely recommended channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA

Make sure you only open it if you have the rest of the day to spare.
>>
>>38453036
Sounds good in theory, but is very hard to do in practice, hence why people flee to the cities. Industrialized farming (trucks, harvesters, fertilizers, greenhouses) make growing crops extreamly cheap, so you will have essentially nothing of value to trade with.

You operate from the understanding that by fleeing to the outback, you magically reverse time, while in reality, there will always be a gas station and a conveniece store with everything you could wish for in close proximity, nearly everywhere in the northern hemisphere and almost everywhere in developing countries. Use streetview ffs.
>>
File: global-population-density.jpg (939KB, 6911x2745px) Image search: [Google]
global-population-density.jpg
939KB, 6911x2745px
>>38453477
>make growing crops extremely cheap, so you will have essentially nothing of value to trade with.

I never suggested that anyone should try trading their homegrown crops. Growing your own food - like potatoes, mushrooms, or even have fish farms - is a way to become more self-reliant. You trade things like the stuff I mentioned above.

>You operate from the understanding that by fleeing to the outback you magically reverse time

No, I don't.

>a gas station and a convenience store with everything you could wish for in close proximity

Not really. There are plenty of places that are far away from both roads and civilization. We have huge tracts of land in many countries, because civilization is unevenly geographically distributed.

That goes for many parts of Northwestern US and Canada, the vast majority of Russia, the Nordic countries of Europe, Mongolia, South America, Australia, Africa - and even a lot of China. There are places you can go and be completely alone.

images related. Where people actually live...
>>
File: light-pollution-global.jpg (865KB, 2400x1200px) Image search: [Google]
light-pollution-global.jpg
865KB, 2400x1200px
>>38454109
.... and where modern global civilization is located.
>>
File: 1500335991100.png (304KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1500335991100.png
304KB, 500x375px
>>38453314
Been watching this guy since he started a couple years ago. He's great, I could never do shit like that lol.
>>
I've always wanted to be an Eskimo
>>
>>38453314
damn you wernt kidding im gonna be here for hours
>>
I don't want to be stuck in a world of Loch Ness monsters asking me for my $3.50
>>
File: tribe.png (56KB, 1396x324px) Image search: [Google]
tribe.png
56KB, 1396x324px
>>38453040
Relevant, I saw this in the MGTOW thread from yesterday
>>
>>38452705
I fantasize about living on the american frontier
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.