[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you guys comfort me? I was lying in bed trying to sleep,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: 1481570252707.png (397KB, 820x461px) Image search: [Google]
1481570252707.png
397KB, 820x461px
Can you guys comfort me? I was lying in bed trying to sleep, when I was seized by a horrifying thought. I've thought of this before, but I've managed to push it away from my mind. What scared me so much was the idea that after death our consciousness is stuck in our bodies. And then after our bodies rot away, the remains of our body, even the smallest particles contain our consciousness scattered throughout the parts. And so forever we'll be trapped and unbearably tortured, buried alive and unable to move. This is the most horrifying scenario I can imagine. I think I can come to terms with dying and not being a conscious entity ever again after i die, in fact it 's even comforting at times, but this is unbearable. I'm wide awake now, looks like I won't be able to sleep for a while. I'm so sorry if this is incoherent/a shitty blogpost. Can someone convince me that this won't happen? Has anyone felt similarly? Can I at least have some (You)s? And I'm sorry for putting scary thoughts into anybody's head
>>
File: IMG_2574.png (308KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2574.png
308KB, 500x378px
>>38429625
That is a pretty horrific thought. I remember losing sleep over something similar as a kid. Hope the thought passes soon, have a funny screenshot
>>
>>38429625
It's true op.
I'd know.
I am a dead person typing.
I'm buried in some kind of forest.
I'm scared and i just want to eat some tendies while listening to Skynrd please help me
>>
File: nugs.jpg (66KB, 500x486px) Image search: [Google]
nugs.jpg
66KB, 500x486px
>>38429722
Thanks it's nice to know others have had similar thoughts

>>38429738
FUCK

I'm sorry but pic related was the best i could do
>>
>>38429625
I've thought something similar, but its more like your consciousness is eternally trapped in the very last moment of your life and you can't move or act or even really think you just feel the pain forever
>>
My grandfather died of ALS. You described it. Enjoy
>>
File: 1483889496739.png (19KB, 500x590px) Image search: [Google]
1483889496739.png
19KB, 500x590px
>>38429625
These thoughts come from intuitions that are fundamentally false if you examine them.

Consciousness is literally localized inside the brain, and more precisely in the cerebral cortex (if other parts of the brain stop working like the cerebellum, you can still be conscious, but if the cortex stop working consciousness goes away). For example conscious vision is localised in the V5 layer of the visual cortex (occipital lobe).

You are attributing consciousness in a "holistic" way to all your body or your entire brain.
Once that particular region of your brain stops working, it's impossible to have a conscious experience.
That part of the brain is required and it requires to integrate information in order to have the subjective experience.

Also, what you describe ("torture", "agony", "feeling of being trapped") are complex subjective experiences which not only involve consciousness, but also involve visceral emotions such as fear which originates in the amygdala and other areas.
These complex feelings require a wise variety of brain areas woking at the same time in order to produce these complex feelings, and all these different components (consciousness, fear, tactile sensations) can be dissociated (for example it's possible to have a conscious experience without any fear, without any sense of being inside a body etc.)

Your conscious experience usually involves things like feeling like you are inside a body, emotions such as fear or joy, require specific parts of the brain and these parts of the brain need to be active and actively integrate information from other areas as well, so once they stop working, there is nothing to experience anymore.

You have nothing to fear anon.
And congrats for not believing in silly religious things.
>>
>>38429882
>He doesn't know souls have been empirically proven in peer reviewed studies
Oi am laughing
>>
>>38429832
Man that's some good nugs with some good songs.
>>
>>38429882
"you have nothing to fear"
umm I mean, you don't know that
>>
>>38429907
nice meme.
Would be funnier if it was true tho

Science can already explain out-of-body-experiences (multisensory integration breakdown usually localised in the Temporo-Parietal Junction (TPJ)), can explain ancient claims about souls from people who have amputated limbs who still feel like they have the limb (explained by Melzack's neuromatrix), evidence from neuroscience casts serious doubt on the idea that we have free will, etc
>>
File: this is me.jpg (5KB, 166x249px) Image search: [Google]
this is me.jpg
5KB, 166x249px
>>38429882
wow you're super smart mr. wojak cube brain. That was a nice explanation but I'm still not 100% convinced that were not just ghosts trapped inside a bag of flesh

>>38429850
fuck that's bad too
>>38429851
That's terrible. I hadn't really thought of it like that
>>
I had similar fears too, then I took acid and now I'm serene
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.