[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what language should i learn? i like the idea of learning russian.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: unnamed.png (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
20KB, 300x300px
what language should i learn? i like the idea of learning russian. i have some russian friends that i could practice with. why not learn another language?
>>
>>38410656
Duolingo is great desu. I've completed 3 languages on there so far. I'm working on Esperanto right now and I'm thinking about taking their Japanese course soon.
>>
>>38410676
what languages did you learn? how well do you know them?
>>
>>38410656
i also suggest russian
>>
>>38410692
i feel like learning a new alphabet will be hard tho.
>>
>>38410656
Russian and japanese are the best languages to learn for a native english speaker, for you I would choose russian since you have people to talk to. Just make sure to find plenty of tv shows and stuff, idk how much of that is available in russian
>>
>>38410685
I've completed French, German and Welsh so far. I studied French and German at school, and I spent some time in a Welsh-speaking area when I was a kid, so I already had some knowledge of all 3. It's still very worthwhile though.
>>
>>38410656
i'd like to learn german. just think it sounds cool
>>
>>38410720
why are those 2 the best? why not something like french?
>>
>>38410737
yeah its a pretty powerful and commanding langauge.
>>
File: 1472248643875.png (437KB, 785x1031px) Image search: [Google]
1472248643875.png
437KB, 785x1031px
>>38410656
I've been learning French for two years. Ignore this >>38410676 . Duolingo is a total meme. Get a real fucking textbook if you're serious about learning another language, especially if you're considering Russian.

Here's some resources: https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk/0B9QDHej9UGAdQlNtOENQeGNPNnM/0B9QDHej9UGAdNWpOaFBYYjBSZGc?sort=13&direction=a
>>
>>38410742
Well it's my opinion, not objective, but those open up the most people that don't speak english/lots of quality books and media that doesn't translate well. Also I think they have the most interesting structures, I always get annoyed by how gendered nouns and verb conjugations work in most european languages. Japanese especially I find myself actually able to speak, whereas when I tried german and chinese it was too much work to form a sentence in my head
>>
>>38410768
wow thank you. ive dabbled with french on duo lingo before. felt good at hammering in the basics, but i didnt get very far into it so i cant really say. :/

This seem like a lot tho. where should i start?
>>
>>38410656
I tried learning swedish with duo but i'm a brainlet and it's hard to motivate yourself from being a depressed neet. not sure how you have the effort to it.
>>
File: 1469678548228.png (156KB, 860x3034px) Image search: [Google]
1469678548228.png
156KB, 860x3034px
>>38410805
It is a lot. Russian is one of the more difficult languages for anglophones to learn. I would begin with learning to read Cyrillic. After that, begin learning the cases, case endings, and what the cases are used for. Then the tenses. Unlike English there's only three, past, present, and future, but Russian verbs come in two forms, called the perfective and imperfective aspects, which is very important.
>>
>>38410656
>what language should i learn? i like the idea of learning russian. i have some russian friends that i could practice with. why not learn another language?
Japanese
>>
>>38410656
I started trying to learn Polish but it's so difficult. They have like 7 different ways nouns change depending on context and the pronunciation is a nightmare.
>>
I've head Duolingo is better for some languages than others. For me, it was a great tool to learn French for traveling purposes. The only thing is it doesn't really account for much vocabulary. Just what they think is important/common enough. For the most part I could communicate while traveling in France (with the help of Google Translate for vocab). It really became an issue when someone sprained their ankle and after the hospital trip, we tried to find a foot brace/athletic tape at the pharmacy. Which, by the way, is apparently the wrong place to go looking for that in Europe. You have to go to a special store for orthopedics. I digress. The most important part of learning a language, I think, is finding a (patient) native speaker and novels written in that language. If you use Duolingo, it really functions best as a tool, rather than the sole means of learning a language.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.