[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Learning an instrument (or any skill) to impress women.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

> Learning an instrument (or any skill) to impress women.

LMAO, normies can't be this cucked right?
>>
I lwarn guitar only to play one song everytime I sit at a campfire with my friends.
>It's the Metro 2033 main menu song
>>
I love music and if he can play an instrument then i love him as well
>>
>>38361172
Yeah.
I, personally, am learning an instrument so i can pass the time playing and writing music i like.
No writing yet, but i'm slowly learning songs
>>
Unironically got approached by a girl just from casually playing a guitar in the shop 2bh.
>>
I'm learning to play the flute and would like to play songs with other people
>>
you won't get very far if you only learn an instrument for others.
>>
>>38361172
im learning trombone just cuz its comfy to play songs you like on your own
>>
If anyone actually thinks like this about playing instruments then they should be shot in the streets
>>
>>38362089
Things you'll never hear:

>Anon you can play the guitar??
>OMG you're AMAZING! *.*
>>
I can do a lot of crazy juggling tricks with a soccer ball but I never show it off for anyone

Should I just post up in the park and freestyle or would that be too corny?
>>
Seems like the only "hobby" that will get the attention of girls is guitar.
>Poetry,
>Photography.
>Video games.
>Travel.
>Hiking and outdoors.
>Cars.

It's all a waste.
>>
>>38362153
>implying the goal of a hobby is to get attention
>>
>>38362153
I'm pretty sure you can impress girls with poetry if you're charismatic, but a safe bet is learning to cook
>>
>tfw play in a band that has shows every weekend, out of town too

I love it but I also hate it even more. You have no idea how bullshit musicians life is.
>>
>>38363856
describe it I'm working on becoming one
>>
I have two degrees in music performance. People that learn an instrument and play music for anybody other than themselves are idiots.
>>
>>38361172
>get gud at guitar because I am gud
>ladies like it when I play songs they never heard of before
>literally start touching the callouses on my fingers
"wow anon I knew you played guitar but I didn't know you were any good"
Then I get to go home and learn more because I have to follow up with it luckily
>all friends including brother play an instrument or rap
>when I'm out of riffs I can freestyle
2cool4school
>>
>>38363874
learn to live on a budget and then live WAY under it
t. saxophone playing nightly at bars
>>
>>38363885
Hey got any tips for guitar like an easier way of connecting a good practice routine and how I should be processing it.
>>
>>38363930
justinguitar, google it
>>
>>38363929
how do you even get a bar job nowadays? I wish it was like the 60s where you could just play rock in every spot.

how long do you do this and how do you get by? If I was a fulltime musician I'd probably do something like waiting or selling weed on the side
>>
>>38363930
A few tips:

Don't practice what you can already play. You will be wasting time.

Stay focused while you practice, don't let your mind space out. Like how an artist analyzes a painting while they paint it, a musician must analyze their practicing to make decisions on whether something was played correctly or not.

A metronome is invaluable, but keep counting the tempo internally.
>>
>>38361172
I got told to not play because I make a weird face when playing anything. Like everything else, chicks only think it's attractive if you are attractive.
>>
>>38362153
fml, hobbies don't matter in picking up girls if they don't know that you have them. I've played guitar for 10 years yet I have never been in a band or had a girl approach me because I never play in front of other people because I am ashamed at how bad I am at it. Once again:
>normies 1
>robots 0
>>
>>38363984
Looked into it I still need to memorize all my scales but I can play just about any chord along with new ones and have recently improved my ear enough to figure out the start of some songs
>>38364013
I have adderall for that I plan on using about 60mgs and practicing for the next couple of hours
>>
File: Wm4ohfT.jpg (41KB, 819x1169px) Image search: [Google]
Wm4ohfT.jpg
41KB, 819x1169px
>>38364029
nothing wrong with blues face
>>
>>38364049
>stay in my room so often mom said something about it
>still occasionally play guitar in front of people
>they like it
>refuse to rap in front of anyone who doesn't already rap though or at the very least spit a bar
>>
>>38364013
Fuck you, I like practising what I already play because its fun.
>>
>>38364050
It's better to practice sober rather than with drugs, but hey whatever floats your boat.

>>38364074
Oh, okay. Sorry.
>>
>>38364081
All adderall really does is keep you focused because you're tweaked out you're also able to process information differently and can look into it,dissect it, and process it completely. I'm pretty much sober physically and kinda mentally.
>>
>>38364050
not that guy. you are new, you are inexperienced, your ear is not developed, even if you heard top tier guitar playing you wouldn't be able to pick out the nuances of what makes it great so listening to yourself while you play won't really do much except you will fatigue yourself.

instead record yourself at the end of the practice. record couple of minutes of whatever. then listen to it before bedtime or whenever, but not immediately, let your ears rest a little. nothing is more humbling than listening to your own shitty playing.

just subscribe to different youtube channels with charismatic people that will inspire you to play
few more basic tips: if it hurts you are doing it wrong (wrists, fingers, whatever), stop and evulate what you are doing wrong. don't learn scales like a monkey, try to apply it instead, pick out pop songs then try to learn the vocal lines on guitar, try to figure out what scale/key it is. and most important of all:

practice. your. damn. vibrato. technique.

Put a movie on and just bend and do vibrato on the same fucking note for 200 times with different tempo. Vibrato is what makes shit guitarists stand out the most.

Also if you need OTC drugs in order to stay """focused""" to play a music instrument you should really question your life choices.
>>
>>38364125
I am the previous guy. What he says is 100% true. Focus is something that you can achieve by doing a little bit each day, while making slow and steady improvements.
>>
since there are people with experience here, what should i move onto next after learning some basic scales?
already got barre and power chords down.
want to make shoegaze/post-punk kind of music and eventually play some jazz stuff.
>>
>>38363992
The owner knew I played and after the previous sax player left and he asked me one night If I could fill the spot. Been playing there nightly for a few years now. After highschool I survived off busking("cultured" LA fags think they are so sophisticated for listening to autumn leaves) until I landed the bar gig. Been playing for 20ish years since highschool. Live in parents house khv of course, it's kinda comfy but all I got and I wouldn't have it any other way.

>>38364029
I remember the bassist would always make orgasm faces during his solos in jazz band. Don't let anyone discourage you from playing ever
>>
File: 1499950181697.jpg (2KB, 77x77px) Image search: [Google]
1499950181697.jpg
2KB, 77x77px
OP, you realize it's not the 90s right?
>>
>>38364183
Think of it like a gym. Set aside 45 minutes every day, make a schedule. After a week you will feel bad and down if you skip on it.
Also some might disagree with this but try to get into more technical music, depending on what genres you are into. You can advance insanely much in 6 months or a year if you know what and how to practice.
Also try finding a buddy who is on the same skill level so that you can play together, it makes it more fun. Investing into a guitar teacher for 5 or 10 classes to correct your bad habits before you get overly attached to them is also a good idea.
>>
>>38364200
what's your favorite jazz genre/era? who influenced your playing the most?
>>
>>38364221
A good (this is very important) teacher will be one of the best investments you can make if you are series about getting good at an instrument.
>>
>>38364195
Learn theory. Learn how different scales/modes relate to each other. Start writing your own music as soon as possible.

Shoegaze and postpunk are shit tier in terms of composition and musicality, no offense. You dont need to know anything for that, just construct simple melodies over power chords and drench it to shit in reverb and delay.
>>
>>38364125
my vibrato is decent and I understand string bends a half bend and a full bend make sense to me how would I structure a practice routine I have from 8am to 5pm that I plan on playing guitar I just have no idea how I should be practicing correctly.
What is the Strong Lifts of guitar?
>>
>>38364200
>tfw bassist
>tfw always the one who gets the most into the music and the moment on stage
>tfw chubby
>tfw don't give a fuck until I see the pictures later, then I cringe for the day and forget it
>rinse repeat next weekend

It's fun man. Don't give up.
>>
>>38364310
The bassist for Jay Reatard was fat and he layed some siqqq basslines in My Shadow
>>
so what are you listening to dudes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OnsJpMhcUg
>>
>>38364237
My band director got me into it by helping me learn the sax in 8th grade and introduced me to jazz combo and swing music. I practiced my hardest and I got into the jazzband freshman year playing baritone sax. My dream was to play in bands with the likes of ray charles, count basie, thelonious monk, charels mingus, gerry mulligan, stan kenton etc. After highschool I realized the music industry was all about connections. I was always the quiet kid who who had no friends and just existed so I never got anywhere socially. Now I just take any opportunity to play.

>>38364343
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFg6HvljDE
>>
File: 20160815_201532-907x1612.jpg (500KB, 907x1612px) Image search: [Google]
20160815_201532-907x1612.jpg
500KB, 907x1612px
Post your guitars
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.