[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>In a psychology class as an elective >Professor asks for

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: 1484779421329.png (24KB, 588x470px) Image search: [Google]
1484779421329.png
24KB, 588x470px
>In a psychology class as an elective
>Professor asks for a show of hands for who believes in free will and who believes otherwise
>About 70% of class holds their hands up for the former
>"Good, hold onto that belief, it'll give you hope"
What did he mean by this?
>>
psychobump
>>
He's kindly explaining that free will is horseshit.
>>
>>38336846
Free will isn't real but nothing is predetermined
>>
>>38336846
He meant this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCxyVjUpaqk
>>
He's obviously a christcuck trying to indoctrinate you. Probably a Drumpflard as well.
>>
>>38337382
Everything is predetermined, as a result of the mechanical nature of the universe. Drop a rock the same way at the same time with the same forces and it will always fall the same way. Think of the brain as a lot of tiny rocks.
>>
>>38337471
>muh materialism
Garbage tbqh
>>
>>38337429
you don't have to be religious to realize that the universe is deterministic
>>
>>38337521
Top notch argument. 10/10. Best robot.
>>
>>38337521
>t. delusional monist
>>
reminder to embrace absurdism
>>
>>38337521
It's the best we got...
>>
>>38336846
Reminder the free will argument is pointless. Nothing changes either way
>>
>>38336846
It depends on the scale of how you look at things. If you look closely you can see that we obviously have free will. Now take a step back and look at things from a cosmic perspective. When you do so it's easy to say that we have no free will since we all inevitably reach the same fate. It depends on your personal view
>>
>>38337611
Reminder to embrace nothing

Who else here /contrarian/
>>
>>38337471
>Drop a rock the same way at the same time with the same forces and it will always fall the same way. Think of the brain as a lot of tiny rocks

Theoretically, but the same forces are never the same, just very fine approximations.
>>
>>38336846
It's dualistic. Free will inside a preselected array of options.

Liken it to domino effect or matrix or what have you.
>>
>>38337842
Sure, to test the theory we have to drop two rocks. But for the sake of the theory we're only comparing the original rock drop with itself and concluding that it was a perfectly inevitable result of the exact forces that caused it.
>>
>>38337760
I know you think what you said was intelligent, but it wasn't.

Talking about the Libet experiments would be intelligent.

Too bad there's no intelligent people here.
>>
>>38337760
m8 inevitably reaching death has almost nothing to do with a free will argument

>look closely you can see that we obviously have free will

I'm gonna refer you to this post>>38337390
Watch the thing before you say more stupid things
>>
File: IMG_0255.jpg (76KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0255.jpg
76KB, 480x480px
>>38336846
You should shoot up his class and then aurge you didn't have free will so should be aquited. J/k pls no bully FBI.
Or just slap him in his office.
The funny thing about these
>no free will
Memeters is absolutely none of them actully live like they bealive it.
>>38337471
>mechanical nature of the universe
Reductionism is absurd abuse of math and breaks down at the subatomic lvl anyways. Also unless you accept the spark of the Divine in you your psychology will never make sense to you.
>>
>>38337521
Prove that something besides the material world exists.
>>
>>38337972
I think you are mixing up intelligence and education, but good luck trying to act snobby.
>>
>>38337611
Man, I've personally leaned towards atheistic existentialism my entire life, but I really can't reconcile Sartre's ideas of free will and taking responsibility for one's actions with what we know about the brain.
Im not trying to save my own ass, mind you, I just think of all the people with obvious brain problems who really have no way of creating their own meaning to life. This all just leads to anti-natalism
>>
>>38338037
>Reductionism is absurd abuse of math and breaks down at the subatomic lvl anyways
This is my favourite meme. Let's stop adding 2 and 2 because we don't have proof that two parallels do not intersect in infinity or know wether a set that contains all sets that dont contain themselves contains itself.
>>
>>38338155
I was more talking about quantum mechances and particicals than sophomoric math memes.
Anyways do you actully bealive in predestination? Do you live like it?
>>
>>38338202
>QUANTUM MECHANICS THEREFORE *say whatever arguments you have while abusing the fact that people don't understand quantum mechanics*
>>
>>38338333
Nice trips, it's a shame you've been determined to be so butthurt.
>>
>>38336846

It means he subscribes to western philosophy, which itself attracts mental midgets like flies. If you doubt me, go read some Wittgenstein and Godel, or if you're feeling rather adventurous go read some Tagore and Krishnamurti. Verbosity is not equivalent to intelligence.

Trust me, your psychology is a walking meme.
>>
>>38338333
People don't even know how gravity exerts it's force but then claim we live in a determinist world, even though bealiving in the passing of time is fundamentally absurd
>>
File: wL6bBA1.jpg (840KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
wL6bBA1.jpg
840KB, 1280x1280px
>>38338202
>mechances
>>
>>38338333

It's pretty simple: We cannot be certain of the outcome of an observation when looking at things on small scales. The position of an electron in an atom is not defined or trackable without influencing its movement. This isn't a limit of technology, it's a fundamental limitation in the laws of physics. Since everything is made of atoms it becomes pretty clear that these small scales fluctuations could lead to uncertainty in outcome on a larger scale.
>>
>>38338202
Haha particles express randomness therefore humans have free will.
>>
>>38338645
You realize you are nothing but particals right?
>>
>>38338678
And furthermore, if he decided to believe that humans were more than the particles that they are composed of, that lends even more credence to free will.
>>
>>38336846
It doesn't matter if Free Will is real or not. Simply believing it, really actually believing it, will make you feel like you have control over your life.
>>
>>38337744

Sure it does.

If free will is real, child abuse isn't so bad, because the abused kids can just free will themselves out of their damaged brains.

If free will is false, child abuse isn't just bad because it pains the kids while they're being abused; a whole new layer of badness is added because the adults those kids grow up to be can't free will away the effects of that abuse.

And that's just one example.
>>
You can't prove it either way.
It's like determinism is atheism and free will theism.
>>
>>38339058

You can't choose what you believe. I can't choose to believe in gremlins or goblins in my closet. Similarly, I cannot choose to believe in free will. It is nonsensical.

At least gremlins and goblins could theoretically exist, even if they don't exist in reality. Libertarian free will doesn't even exist conceptually; it's incoherent. And compatibilism is an intellectually dishonest semantic trick.
>>
>>38339106

Libertarian free will is incompatible with both determinism and indeterminsm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joanVUoXY0s
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.