[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people in general so unintelligent and incapable of engaging

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: star trek straw man.jpg (71KB, 625x446px) Image search: [Google]
star trek straw man.jpg
71KB, 625x446px
Why are people in general so unintelligent and incapable of engaging in rational, unemotional discussion of serious topics?

Why are people so uninformed when it comes to basic epistemological concepts like evidence, proof, provability, uncertainty, and probability distributions?

These people vote. It's legitimately disturbing how many people just don't understand what's up. They don't understand these basic things.

What is the answer? Unfortunately many of you replying to this thread will fall into these ignorant groups. It's not even your fault, it's largely the fault of the governments of the world not investing as much as they should into education. It should be a higher priority because the return on investment is so high. But it's not. This suggests either malicious intent, ignorance of the situation, or apathy. I'm not sure which is worse.

What is the answer?
>>
File: 1481684705261.gif (2MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1481684705261.gif
2MB, 325x244px
>>38226239
To elaborate on this, why do people commit fallacies, at all? Clearly there's a good reason. Either they're too unintelligent to realize their significance, or they just don't care. Feel free to claim that I'm committing the fallacy fallacy, but I'm not, and if you do that you're simply committing the fallacy fallacy fallacy.

So I ask once again: what the fuck is the answer?
>>
because the average iq is 100
which is construction worker tier
no offense to construction workers
but most of them are not cut out for debate
>>
>>38226239
If you're serious about looking into these topics, the book "Thinking fast, and slow" would be great for you.
>>
Thinking logically is against mans nature. There are so many cognitive biases that go along with being human. Even if you are aware of the biases, it's hard not to let them influence you.
>>
>>38226239
Most people prefer to focus on having fun with freinds/girlfriends than debating high brow topics and I can see why. Snagging girls is more fun than debating
>>
purportedly smart man struggles with the concept of empathy

how novel
>>
File: 1483710019816.gif (510KB, 700x827px) Image search: [Google]
1483710019816.gif
510KB, 700x827px
>>38227574
Yes, empathy prevents uninformed and unintelligent people from being misled by narcissists into voting against their own interests. Great response anon
>>
People are fucking idiots and life is mostly bullshit, anon.

There is no solution and if there were one and you tried it, the powers that be would kick your ass. They are not interested in your ideal, happy, intelligent society.

They want a big pool of sad, scared, uninformed and confused drones to use as a workforce and serve them.

Do you remember school? Ever notice how a lot of what you learned had no applicability to daily life and was so far removed from anything you would ever be interested in or want to do, while important life skills were completely neglected?

Ever notice how a lot of the things you learned were not even true?

They want it that way.

That's just the way it is.
>>
>>38229211
>They want it that way
Da jooos?
>>
The thing that always gets me is that if you talk about sets of opinions or ideas people automatically assume it's your opinion. So little ability to talk in the abstract about important issues.

E.g talking about trump in the U.K. I basically had to walk on eggshells when saying I can't moletely understood why people would,consider voting for him. Usually met with reeeeeeeing and accusations of being a trump supporter.

People are seriously thick as fuck. We need to go back to Roman style Republicanism
>>
Because of confirmation bias and a lack of scientific literacy.

I got into an argument with a guy who cited a paper on physiological responses to videos of violence. Women had higher increases in heart rate. He said this objectively proved that women were more emotional. I asked:
1. How do you know men and women express emotions the same way
2. How do you know increased heart rate is indicative of emotionality?
3. The video showed violence. Depending on the subject matter, a viewer may have a better or worse response. I bet a black person would freak out more at the Rodney King tapes than a white guy. How do you know that isn't happening here?
4. The sample size is a group of 50 from China.
5. There is no physical mechanism that explains why women are more emotional.

This dude took a simple study correlating some Chinese women with one possible metric for emotional responsiveness and claimed to know everything about gender. People overestimate how much information can be deduced from another, especially if it fits their narrative.

I especially hate the idea that people have to be respectful to be right. If I say 2+ 2 = 4, it doesn't matter if I call you a cunt after. You see tons of political videos of left wingers screaming hysterically or right wingers trolling and people see this uncivil behaviour as proof they're wrong. Which is fuckinh stupid.

I don't know, OP, people suck.
>>
>>38226288
It's this simple. One could never hope to win an argument against someone with an IQ that's 15 points higher. The gap in ability is just too large. The top 15% will beat the bottom 50% on any topic, regardless who's right. The top 1% does the same to the bottom 85%. That means most people don't even bother trying to argue, because the arguing elite, the professional arguers, the intelligent few will always remain unbeaten, except among each other.
>>
>>38229650
>The top 15% will beat the bottom 50% on any topic, regardless who's right
>regardless who's right

Nigger I want you to sit down and have a fucking think about what you just said. You're complaining how people are unable to supply proof and are uneducated, yet you on the other hand think people who are "smarter" will win while being wrong.
>>
>>38226239
How do you feel about being an incel OP?
>>
>>38226239
The human brain is a very complex and intelligent stupid thing
>>
>>38229645
I hate when people think that something is ad hominem just because they were insulted
>tfw making legitimate points and then calling someone names afterwards
>>
>>38229756
This. But a lot of robots do this.
>>
>>38229705
Yes, because an educated person could still believe incorrect things for correct reasons with evidence and everything. Only a similarly intelligent person could call them out on it, but everyone else would be stumped and might even be convinced by his sound reasonings.
>>
>>38226239

Because not understanding is easy. Believing that you're always right is easy. Having a precise picture of the world around you is difficult, depressing and requires you to go against your instincts and miseducation given to you very early in life. It's also not socially accepted and you can expect to be "publically humiliated" by "normal people" if you speak truth.

But look on the positive side.

You don't have to impress stupid people. You understand that it's useless. You feel no shame when they shame you. You feel no regret when you defend yourself, or even sometimes take from them. You see through their hypocrisy and lies. Through your own hypocrisy and self-deception. You become better, better not in a social image, but better as a comprehender, a functional self-serving machine.
>>
>social science study
>actual results: weak or inconclusive
>political spin: this definitively proves what I'd like to believe
>>
Because nowadays it's glorified to be stupid and fit in. Look at the people teens are looking up to. All the celebrities are on drugs and if they dare voice an opinion counter to popular belief they're rejected. Sometimes people will refuse to talk to you if they know you're of a certain political leaning. Why do research on political topics when all that'll happen is you'll agree with the popular sentiment or have to act like you do just so you can fit in. In my junior year English class we literally had a day where the teacher told us that if we wanted to make it in the world we had to force ourselves to fit in no matter how miserable it made us. And the fact of the matter is, "fitting in" is just doing the easy thing. Why think when you could get a meaningless job and work for decent enough pay to drown your sorrows in alcohol like what everyone else does? Why work harder when you could just take the easy way out and "fit in"? Education is so bad nowadays that the few people that do actually want to try to better the world have to spend the rest of their life in debt to do so. Everything is just hard and people glorify pleasure over hard work. It's all about being a part of the generation where people get used to instant gratification and give up when they don't receive it. There is no answer unless you dismantle the entirety of pop culture as it is right now.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.