[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /r9k/, when was the last time you changed your mind about

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: B3720FWIQAA2ynn.jpg (103KB, 985x554px) Image search: [Google]
B3720FWIQAA2ynn.jpg
103KB, 985x554px
Hey /r9k/, when was the last time you changed your mind about something you believed?

Not "found information to support a new/recently acquired belief." I mean specifically when your understanding of a specific topic or subject was confronted with contradictory information that you believed was credible enough that it changed or reversed your opinion.

>What was it?
>What was the new information?
>How did you find that information / who presented it to you?
>How long did it take for you to change your mind?
>>
It happened a few years ago. I always believed that people should strive to be debt free, but after I started looking into it more, I now believe the opposite.

The good results speak for themselves.
>>
File: tumblr_moi4m1ufYV1qb2c4do1_1280.jpg (145KB, 914x1372px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_moi4m1ufYV1qb2c4do1_1280.jpg
145KB, 914x1372px
>>38211705
that's an especially weird revelation, how did you come to it?
>>
>>38211769
Mostly, just by doing the math. I actually couldn't believe what I was seeing. But, after talking about it with some more experienced people, they verified it and I had to accept it.

Numbers don't lie
>>
File: tumblr_nrwnm3d2B61qa42jro1_1280.jpg (366KB, 1280x855px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrwnm3d2B61qa42jro1_1280.jpg
366KB, 1280x855px
I'm pretty curious about the subject so I'm gonna bump it here and there for replies
>>
>>38211604
I used to believe that trannies are just larpers and should be gassed. Went to /lgbt/ to troll them, but slowly started to see their point of view.
>>
File: 1468587711536.png (2MB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1468587711536.png
2MB, 768x1024px
>>38213304
was it gradual just from exposure or was there a specific anon or post that really changed how you saw them?
>>
File: tradiclal.png (9KB, 339x80px) Image search: [Google]
tradiclal.png
9KB, 339x80px
I went from atheist to Catholic sympathizer. I think I'm gonna convert just gotta get the courage to go talk to someone at the local Church. Took years and I couldn't really explain what did it exactly. It's not like there is definitive proof.
>>
>>38211604
>That the world was good
>Rejection, depression, my face, the media, Hillary Clinton
>a few motnhs
>>
>>38213350
It happened relatively fast but it wasn't anything specific. I saw that not all of them are uptight tumbrlites and fetishist. For obvious reasons I can also emptize with their feeling of constant rejection.
>>
>>38213353
I think I've grown a lot of respect for religious people over the years, and I appreciate what organised religion can accomplish.

I still believe that the rigid nature of organised religion has huge structural issues that cause big problems in society, though
>>
>>38213353
But why Catholicism specifically. Other sects have less "fluff".
>>
File: 1266735486813.jpg (361KB, 1016x1358px) Image search: [Google]
1266735486813.jpg
361KB, 1016x1358px
>>38213487
do you think that the biggest factor in the changing of your perception of the world was

a) changes in the world itself
b) the kind of information about the world you had access or were exposed to
c) your state of mind

do you think you could purposefully change your opinion of the state of the world?
>>
I used to think that spending money on pixels (mobage) was dumber than hell, and I would never do something like that but would f2p all games forever.
I was disabused of that notion rather quickly.
>>
>>38213644
I like the tradition, beauty and emphasis on rationality of the Catholic Church. I didn't like the variations in all the protestant sects, I wanted something more rigid. I don't like the fluff but it wasn't really part of why I picked Catholicism.
>>
>>38213605
Beyond the obvious predator priests, what do you think the biggest problem caused by organised Christianity in a society?
>>
>>38214736
>emphasis on rationality
was Judaism in your consideration?
>>
>>38211705
>>38211836

Are you talking about individuals, or groups (i.e. raising the US debt ceiling).
>>
>>38214765
Yeah I think the Jews are based and I have a lot of respect for orthodox judaism. I definitely think Jesus fulfills the Old Testament prophecies though.
>>
>>38214790
Individuals. I'm not knowledgeable enough or care enough about economics to have an opinion on that.
>>
>>38211604
When I read this and decided you're not a COMPLETE faggot.
>>
>>38214755
I think that the problem with almost any organised religion comes from the fact that they largely try to deal in absolutes, combined with their being systems that are extremely inflexible.

In our extremely limited understanding of the world around us, I think that it's especially important for us to create systems that acknowledge that the rules we set up are based on necessarily limited information, and that for us to be able to progress as a society those systems should be expressly designed to accommodate changing those rules upon discovering new information.

almost all organised religion is explicitly designed to resist this. It results in a situation where either change is turned into an extremely slow, extremely contentious, generation-spanning process, or it results in the religion splintering and forking into subsects that can have violent relationships with each other.

Change is completely inevitable. It will come no matter what. The ability to direct changes to ensure they consistently serve and improve lives is, in my understanding, the single most important thing for any societal system. Organised religions provide an amazingly useful, strong foundation around which communities can be built, but the way they're set up inevitably ends up creating issues as the community grows, with their rigidity of interpretation eventually hindering development and creating rifts within the communities they built.
>>
I used to think one way of thinking would be the best, even if through force it was done. But now I kind of see a place for every thing...

Humanities struggle whether it be to survive or for ideas is key to development. Crime, war, evil helps improve humanity as a whole because it causes us to seek advancement in order to stop it. The journey to peace is more important then peace itself and as history as shown the most peaceful society's are wiped out
>>
File: tumblr_nn2zvvSK271qlitoio1_1280.png (314KB, 1280x680px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nn2zvvSK271qlitoio1_1280.png
314KB, 1280x680px
>>38215289
th...thanks
y-you too, origanon
>>
>>38215478
>the journey to [global] peace is more important than [global] peace itself
>as history has shown, the most peaceful societies are wiped out

on a global scale, who's doing the wiping out?
>>
>>38215567
People more intelligent and militarily capable.

If we had global world peace we would stop developing, if nothing bad ever happened ever we would probably still be in mud huts with no understanding of our world or universe until the earth is no longer habitable. Sure some people would prefer this, but I am glad that humanity may one day long after my death inhabit the stars. Also yes, I am aware we might wipe ourselves out but that outcome was inevitable if we were too dumb to advance.
>>
Was raised in a Protestant household and was a somewhat hardcore Christian well into my young adult years. I'm gay, and that was a really difficult thing to reconcile with the beliefs I grew up with. I spent most of my teen years trying to 'pray the gay away,' but God never listened. Eventually, I told myself there couldn't be a god since he was dooming me to hell. From there, I gradually opened up more to the sciences and felt that in retrospect my faith in Christianity was just a case of Pascal's wager, as I really didn't have any genuine faith in the existence of God.

But religion isn't something you just walk away from. There were a lot of doubts the first few years. It was hard to adjust to no longer praying or doing the church thing. Those routines had been a part of my life for 2 decades. I had to work through a lot of guilt, shame and fear. But in the end, I think I'm a better person for it.
>>
File: 1474982535330.jpg (224KB, 1620x599px) Image search: [Google]
1474982535330.jpg
224KB, 1620x599px
>>38211604
>be me
>huge Trump supporter
>didn't like him personally, liked his policies/brashness
>once the whole lel meme trump wore off
>realise he's nothing more than a jew pawn
>Drain the Swamp = Goldman Sachs
> Greatest wall you've ever seen = no wall
>replace obunga care = lol jk
>mfw
>>
>>38215821
Well, at least you're properly ashamed of yourself and your deplorable behavior.
>>
>>38215733
>If we had global world peace we would stop developing
I have trouble finding my way to the supporting argument for this

I actually completely agree with
>if nothing bad ever happened ever we would probably still be in mud huts with no understanding of our world or universe until the earth is no longer habitable

but we're not talking about going back in time and erasing the existence of all conflict. We've come to a point where we can identify and recognise threats that don't come from others of our own.
>>
>>38215821
I'm going to just take your post at face value instead of assuming you're a trump supporter posting ironically in the voice of a falseflagging liberal in order to try and rally a supportive response for your actual position.

What was it that you saw that ended up souring you on the whole thing? What was the process like
>>
I used to think WWE was stupid and it's viewers were morons because it was fake.
It was a belief that I just kept because it was put into my head when I was young and because I never met anyone who countered that, I grew up not challenging that idea.
It wasn't until around a year or so ago that someone on 4chan was talking about WWE and how it's essentially a huge, multimedia soap opera with long-running plotlines that I came to appreciate it's place.
I even watched one of the big event matches once on TV and I was astounded at how obvious the storytelling and character-development aspects were and how little the actual fights mattered to the overall product.
>Two wrestlers who hated each were both promised a shot at some belt and assumed that they would have to fight for it. Instead the head dude with a microphone told them that if they wanted the belt, they would have to team up in a team match and learn to work together.
Not the most original stories but it's still pretty interesting.
>>
>>38216277
fuck liberals dude im not about that, 100% serious. It's not what I saw that soured me up, it's the lack of seeing that put me off. Expecting great things, huge changes within society, finally putting the country & it's peoples needs first. Not a fucking thing changed man, same old same old. Another billionaire jew larping as a president for votes.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.