[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>normies talking about space exploration >LMAO FIX DA PROBLEMS

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13

File: 1498980573230.jpg (61KB, 412x519px) Image search: [Google]
1498980573230.jpg
61KB, 412x519px
>normies talking about space exploration
>LMAO FIX DA PROBLEMS HERE FIRST
every time
>>
What's the point in space exploration? I don't see the benefit in anything outside of mars or the moon, and even then I agree it's more important to fix the issues we have going on here in earth, like healthcare.
>>
>>38179344
What's the point of discovering America and making a colony there or anywhere else in the world? Might as well stay home and fix shit here and never leave
>>
>>38179440
The costs are too high and there are little to no resources on mars/the moon. They're just a plan B.
>>
>>38179289
I feel like we should fix the deserts here first. Because Mars is going to be worse than the deserts we have here.
>>
>>38179344
The amount of inventions that came about because of the space race are staggering. Just look up common things we appreciate today, that are directly a result of the space race.

By funding science endeavors, including space exploration, you don't just gain knowledge and understanding, you get practical applications and products as a result.
>>
File: 1473625030170.png (899KB, 1603x1025px) Image search: [Google]
1473625030170.png
899KB, 1603x1025px
>>38179485
>moon
>literally space desert with radioactive glass storms
>Mars
>actual desert made of radiation and no minerals
Fuck off shill, only reason people talk about those two is because they are brain dead fucking retarded. Jupiter is by far our best bet within the solar system.
>>
>>38179344
Healthcare is fine in the 1st world and all the gibs me dats on the planet isn't going to turn the congo into a First world country. Meanwhile we are going extinct because dumbfucks would rather feed an always increasing amount of 3rd worlders instead of moving industry off earth, making a asteroid trapping system or space elevator. We are intentionally stalling the most important progress of our species because of a bunch of virtue signalling.
>>
>>38179344
>>38179485
>>38179522
>space exploration
>lol the moon and mars
Normies are the worst. It would be much more efficient to make rotating cylinders in the middle of asteroids for space house especially since they have such a low gravity well.
>>
>>38179440
lemme know when you've got a guaranteed goldilocks planet to be reached in a year or two
>>
>>38179574
how do you plan to live on jupiter?
>>
>>38179344
no niggers in space
>>
>>38179289
It's a jew ploy to try and keep us from leaving Earth.
>>
>>38179612
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_the_asteroids#Disadvantages
go
>>
>>38179289
You can't fix it here. There's no laws nor order in space, so we can start over. With our nukes, it's the only way to start over now. If one kingdom falls the entire human race will, so no change is possble. The rich elite don't care about change, why would they, they're fine. How can you pressure them to change it? You cannot. Only cause the end of the world trying.
>>38179344
See my above text.
>>
>>38179712
A house...? Duh
>>
>>38179344
The fact that it holds the key to the future of businesses and the future of mankind you retard.
>>
>Literally billions of people go hungry, don't have access to water, and are unable to improve their quality of life due to lack of resources, medicine, and technology
>lol instead of helping all of them let's send 50 people to the moon
>>
Any technology advanced enough for space travel can be reversed engineered to have a use for Earthlings.
>>
File: 1480081847670.jpg (13KB, 379x384px) Image search: [Google]
1480081847670.jpg
13KB, 379x384px
>>38179712
How do I plan to live on the planet made of usable fuel? No idea anon....not a clue. Much better to live on the desert planet with no air right? Much easier to live there where it has no resources.
>>
File: 1485211316834.jpg (44KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
1485211316834.jpg
44KB, 460x460px
>tfw china or india becomes the defacto human space government because dude virtue signalling
>>
>>38179574
you're right about it being shit but all of that sand on mars is iron and copper oxides. As a rocky body is has a similar composition to earth but at half the size its gravity is only 38% of earths so its a fair guess that its a lot lower in heavy elements.
>>
File: 1479164654562.jpg (38KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1479164654562.jpg
38KB, 320x320px
>>38179896
>>comets have millions of liters of water
>asteroids have millions of tons resources each
>infinity space in space
>dude let's not invest in this it doesn't help us
>>
File: 1485832047208.jpg (39KB, 615x660px) Image search: [Google]
1485832047208.jpg
39KB, 615x660px
>>38179934
>Planet has some iron some places and maybe some other metal based chems
>Planet is literally made of fuel
Why is there even an option here?
>>
>>38179896
moon rocks are very nutritious but niggers are lactose intolerant so none for them. Oh well~
>>
>>38179726
no niggers in antarctica either
Why don't we have people living there anyways?
>>
>>38179954
did you know the earth is 95% water
did you know humans are 99% water
did you know that you should drink a minimum of 24 glasses of water a day for good health
find out more at iflscience
>>
>>38179968
Now describe how you'll get that fuel and how that fuel will help you.
>inb4 skimming or existing in atmo
>>
>>38179289
You retarded? There's no planet that's remotely as habitable as Earth in our Solar system so no point colonizing barren rocks besides using probes
>>
>>38179990
Mostly environmental, but majority economic. If scientists didn't need to make snowangels there all day it would stay empty.
>>
>>38179344
>benefits
these people seem to be missing something quite fundamental

Discovery IS the most noble purpose of one's life, all other things are in service to exploration and discovery. saying there is no point in exploration or discovery is choosing a lesser purpose in life.
>>
>>38179574
well not Jupiter, Jupiter is a dumb target, i presume you mean it's moons like Europa
>>
File: 1486002365476.gif (2MB, 300x369px) Image search: [Google]
1486002365476.gif
2MB, 300x369px
>>38180048
Its all atmosphere you chud, its a gas planet. The idea would be to place floating 'cities' at the gas line and have them soak up the fuel to allow them to float. The energy you could sustain from that would make them self contained and sustained for practical infinity.

or you could make a city on mars that would get nothing from being on the planet its on and take years to become self sustained from an energy perspective, even including solar and wind.
>>38180085
>he didnt pay attention in 2nd grade
cmon now anon, no neet excuses here will save you from mockery.
>>
>>38179289
I remember there was a normie trying to make this point to me a long time ago. It was in the middle of science. I literally went into a rage there, but thankfully I never got in trouble, and apologized later.
>>
>normies talk literally any problem
>if they reach any conclusion it's usually "bruh people just suck lmao"
>if people are the problem, then fix the people
>there are so many things you can do to curve population density and education levels
>you don't even NEED to sterlize people, though you should
>you don't even need to kill people
>"wait isn't that eugenics?"
>yeah
>"OH MY GOD YOU FUCKING NAZI HOW DARE YOU SPEAK OF SUCH THINGS ALL LIFE IS PRECIOUS AND WE NEED TO ALWAYS PROTECT LIFE AND THE RIGHT TO LIFE UNLESS I WANT AN ABORTION OR AM BEING LE NIHILISTIC BECAUSE THAT'S EASIER THAN FACING REALITY"
>literally a refusal to even recognize our most fundamental problems
and they wonder why i'd rather watch anime than deal with the world
>>
File: 1464100502652.jpg (754KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1464100502652.jpg
754KB, 1920x1080px
>>38180158
>>38180168
Yeah europa is also a good point as to why jupiter works so well considering it has a ball of water right next to it.
>>
>>38180168
not an originaI argument.
>>
>>38180173
Same thing here, except I had to deal with religious white trash. Odin himself save me if I ever meet them again.
>>
File: 1469061055122.png (2MB, 1693x1213px) Image search: [Google]
1469061055122.png
2MB, 1693x1213px
>>38180220
Read what I said above then? I didnt think i needed to repeat myself but hell, you seem like you need me too.
>>
>>38180085
Well the place we call our home tends to get pretty shit if you give it enough time. So we need to at least have some nearby hotels we can stay in.
>>
File: IMG_7644.jpg (200KB, 1300x867px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7644.jpg
200KB, 1300x867px
>>38180168
You do understand the IMMENSE radiation, electrical storms the size of planets, the atmospheric pressure, and the winds exceeding 385mph would make anything existing inside the planets atmosphere for any length of time a literal impossibility.
>its all atmosphere
Wrong check pic related.
>>
>>38180284
Oh. And the gravity. You'd expend more energy than you could get from the atmosphere using any form of thrust due to the gravity well of the planet alone.
>>
File: 1477428582057.jpg (18KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1477428582057.jpg
18KB, 500x375px
>>38180284
>>38180340
I think we both understand that to concur space we need more tech. Im not saying we could do it tomorrow friend. Im saying when it comes to mars vs jupiter, any thinking man knows jupiter is our star to shoot for. Mars has nothing going for it. Jupiter has fuel and a moon of water. We dont have the power to do it now, but a few years from now.....
>Its a planet so it has a core
Yeah I got through basic science too anon, im not saying literally all of it is atmosphere, but the way you made it sound you wanted to discount the fact that a high majority of it is just gas.
>>
>>38179289
Humanity, our biome, and our civilization and technology is so incredibly, hilariously fragile that only stupid fucking dipshits that can barely wipe their own asses could actually think space exploration is a bad idea.

>Siberian Traps eruption (or other supermassive volcanic eruption)
>gamma ray burst
>Carrington event
>moderate nuclear exchange and/or another world war
>antibiotic resistant disease
>highly lethal natural disease plague (i.e. mutated ebola strain)
>accidental or intentional release of a weaponized disease
>asteroid strike
>solar flare strike
>runaway climate change
>resource depletion (especially for higher tech devices)
>widespread crop/land failure
>dwindling freshwater supplies

Every one of those is guaranteed to kill most or all of humanity, along with most or all the life on our planet. Only a complete shortsighted fucking idiot could think preventing the extinguishing of all known life, as well as our species, is a bad investment. Sometime I think humans are too fucking stupid to deserve to live, in spite of our potential for intelligence; at the end of the day we seem to be retarded apes after all.
>>
>>38180374
Don't worry anon we'll get there. We'll tip toe outwards, gain the knowledge and riches of our surroundings and go from there. We got nothing better to do on this blue dot anyway.
>>
>>38179344
>he doesn't see the wonder in learning to live on other planets and venturing into the stars
>he doesn't see the wonder in becoming a multi-planetary species , extending our influence over the galaxy

You fucking nu-male
>>
>>38179896
>billions of people are starving on Earth
>instead of ensuring that no one event can ever kill all Earth life and our species, lets waste time trying to save people that are literally too stupid to grow some shit like everyone else
>>
>>38179344
They can abandon the problems they have here.
>>
>>38180527
>what is radiation
>what is space dust moving at incredible hihg speed
>>
>>38180680
I didn't list everything, just the ones I could think of at the time. Doubtless there are other events I didn't consider that could sterilize our planet.
>>
>>38179485
I suggest you watch Issac Arthur on YouTube, he goes into very detailed ways we could make moon and mars colony's, O'Neil cylinders aswell as Interstellar travel all within are current tech and budget
>>
>>38180173
>implying sterilization wouldn't be used against smart people
>implying TPTB would allow for ACTUAL smart people to reproduce

Hah, haha. You funny nigga.
>>
>>38180714
No, I was talking about problems when going out in space.
>>
File: 1495659860374.jpg (7KB, 260x165px) Image search: [Google]
1495659860374.jpg
7KB, 260x165px
>>38179289
>Tfw born to early for deep space exploration.
>>
>>38180714
Of course there are problems in space, I never implied there wasn't. In all likelihood, thousands or possibly millions will die in the process of scattering our species and biome as far as possible to ensure the survival of the only known life in the universe. That's a pittance to pay in comparison to complete extinction.
>>
>>38180918
Meant to quote >>38180803

>>38180834
Born just in time to watch your race go extinct and watch the only civilized and developed nations be overcome with savage barbarians. What a time to be alive.
>>
File: Tyranid_Hive_Fleet_Bioships.png (1MB, 920x691px) Image search: [Google]
Tyranid_Hive_Fleet_Bioships.png
1MB, 920x691px
>>38180527
And your list is just counting the threats that we currently know about. There's also the potential, however unlikely it may be, for being attacked by aliens, in which case we would need adequate resources and military power to fight an interstellar war.
>>
>>38179896
>millions of africans go hungry
>wow these poor people, let's give them food and medicine
>africans learn nothing and keep reproducing at the same pace
>wow billions of people are hungry, guys we need to step up humanitarian efforts
automation or not, how do you intend to feed africa when it's 2 billions rather than 1?
4 billions?
8 billions?
>>
>>38179485
>little to no resources
>Literally a fucking planet
>>
>>38179344
>What's the point in space exploration?
Escaping the normies once and for all.
>>
>>38181050
While that's technically a possibility, it's improbably to the point of not even being considered when we have very real, highly probably events in lieu of it.
>>
>>38179574
No-one talks about how easy travel between Jovian moons would be, it's depressing, organics from Titan, water from Europa or any other trillion places, heavy metals everywhere, and hey, a shit ton of helium on the literal fucking "gas" giant.

That's not even mentioning how things can travel in-system with very little energy expenditure, just by giving them a small tap.

That said, the area around Jupiter has an obscene amount of radiation, since most of it's moons are within its Van Allen belt.
>>
>>38181050
theres very little reason for aliens to attack us

>they want water
asteroids with ice everywhere
>they want resources
Asteroids everywhere filled with way more than we got

they would most likely be like us and want to study us, i doubt a civilization would be able to become interstellar without logic and reason
>>
>>38181370
imagine if we evolved on a jovian moon, we could be multi planetary by now, itd be like its own little solar system and wed have most of the rare elements that we need today
>>
>>38179530
this

we gain more practical use from military expenditures/research then almost every other branch
>>
>>38181370
The Jovian moons are our biggest hope for space colonization, second only to colonizing the upper Venusian atmosphere. I wish the memes about Mars and the moon would die.
>>
>>38181370
>That said, the area around Jupiter has an obscene amount of radiation

Isn't this easily solved by having a layer of liquid water on the hull? Water is incredibly effective at blocking radiation.
>>
>>38181519
I think he means way more than we can currently guard against
>>
>>38181379
If they needed a similar environment to us, then it would make a shit ton of sense for them to attack our planet and try to exterminate us. I'd imagine that even for an advanced species, terraforming would be an incredibly lengthy and costly process, so why not just kill the primitives on this planet and take your ready made new home?

There's also the possibility of self replicating robots used in warfare finding their way here and killing us because of their programming. Or a superintelligent AI that has reached the point where the only way for it to become more intelligent is to become larger, and wishes to incorporate all matter in our solar system to advance that end.
>>
>>38181519
Sure, but it wouldn't be a fun life to never be able to go outside. For example, you'd reach your annual amount of safe radiation on Earth on Io in two minutes, it's incredibly bad.

You're right about the water though - a couple meters of just ice (which is pretty damned abundant in that area) would reduce that radiation to a safe amount fairly easily, although that would make shuttles kind of heavy. That said, it's very possible (read: relatively fucking easy) to construct orbital tethers and space elevators on ALL of Jupiters moons, and with modern day materials, for example steel cable., which vastly reduces the weight problem. Also, imo, most transport out there would be freight: why bother sending people with a couple thousand tons of ore, after all, when a computer is that much better at the job? The only conceivable large scale reason for inter-lunar/inter-planetary travel of people is tourism.
Automation is the future after all, and anyway, even modern day computers would handle mass freight better than humans in that environment, purely decision wise.
>>
>>38181569
>similar environment
can literally make oneil cylinders, we have the tech to do it now so im sure they can, also i imagine itd be more work to kill a planet full of people than build a big space tube to live in
>self replicating robots
if there're robots that were made to fight space wars then id assume that their programming would be advanced enough to realize that we arent in space and that we arent the aliens they were fighting, if we made robots like that we'd put in safe guards to prevent them attacking an undiscovered species, i would think an interstellar civilization has the forethought for safe guards
>superintelligent AI
there's literally an entire universe out there thats as far as we know infinite, we're not even an atom in the galaxy compared to the vastness of the universe, in our galaxy there's trillions of solar systems, outside the galaxy is a cluster of trillions of galaxies, outside that there's trillions of clusters of galaxies and it just keeps going
>>
>>38181682
Wouldn't creating a magnetic field through some means solve at least terrestrial issues on the Jovian moons? I imagine that would be a collossal undertaking, but Earth's magnetic field is largely why we aren't dead from radiation.

Good point regarding space elevators, I didn't consider that would be much easier due to the lower gravity.
>>
>>38181762
Look dude, you are assuming that this hypothetical species/construct is completely logical and wouldn't have more complex motivations behind their actions. Or that the construct hadn't mutated or "evolved" beyond its original purpose and motivations that led to its initial creation. Anything that self replicates will inevitably have errors, and enough errors built up over billions of years of traveling through space is inevitable. If the device can intentionally modify itself, such as with an AI, then that possibility is much higher since it can do as it wishes, and likely has motivations that we would find entirely alien.

I wasn't trying to get into a pissing match with you about how "likely" this fantasy being/society is, but simply that there are plausible scenarios in which what you deny could happen. For every "but X" rebuttal you have, there is a "but Y" rebuttal I could come back with, which is why I simply pointed out the possibility and wasn't trying to say they would happen.
>>
>>38179289
Oil
Original
>>
>>38181799
Theoretically, we could use EM shielding, but it would take a shit-ton of energy. Maybe on early colonisation missions it could be used until the base was buried/excavated, or whatever. Of course, in a fusion-capable civilisation, which is probably what we'll be if we ever start launching Jupiter missions, these energy expenditures aren't quite so ridiculous, even if they are still big losses.

As for the space elevators, the secondary advantage would be the lack of an atmosphere to mess with the cable. Micro-meteoroids would still be a problem, but only rarely, so space elevators could last a really long time with only minimal maintenance.

Anyway, even if you didn't make a space elevator, coil guns to launch objects into orbit or even around the system would be fairly easy to, given a lower gravity and (usually) no atmosphere too.
>>
>this jovian moon discussion
what the fuck why couldn't I have been born 500 years from now I'm tired of being stuck on earth
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.