[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had an acetylene torch and cut through the side of a full

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: Propane1.jpg (68KB, 775x443px) Image search: [Google]
Propane1.jpg
68KB, 775x443px
If you had an acetylene torch and cut through the side of a full propane truck what would happen? would you be on fire of would you literally be dead in a fraction of a second?

trust me i dont wanna find out irl and dont wanna sound like an idiot asking someone irl
>>
>>38178234
There would be a massive explosion once you either pierce the tank or heat the shell of the tank enough to ignite the propane. What did you think would happen?
>>
>>38178234
Sounds like a mythbusters episode. Is propane flammable or just the vapor flammable?
>>
>>38178359
well of course i expect for it to be massive but through the person using the torches POV would it just be like youre cutting on it and then its like pulling the TVs plug out of the wall and youre just not alive anymore because it was that huge?

or would you just be on fire?

im around them a lot and id be terrified to light a match around them becuase some of them you can smell gas
>>
>>38178428
The propane would expand so violently, you'd he dead before it could mix with enough air/oxygen to ignite.
>>
File: 1494264332743.jpg (32KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
1494264332743.jpg
32KB, 406x364px
>>38178428
>>38178502
there OP you can relax now
>>
>>38178428
It would be like turning out the lights. There's a bunch of different forces at play that would insure an instaneous death and a closed casket funeral
>>
>>38178545
lol okay then

your picture reminds me of eric cartman
>>
>>38178571
>bunch of different forces at play
No, it's literally just expanding gas accelerating you faster than your insides, especially your brain, can take.
>>
>>38178666
The tank itself is going to explode sending shrapnel everywhere, there's also going to be a thermobaric effect when the the gas ignites, extreme heat etc.
>>
>>38178757
I've seen exploded tanks, bent all the way to hell and back, but barely any shrapnels, depends on the tank though.
As for the fire, as I said, you'd be dead before that. The gas streaming out might even extinguish the torch by chilling the acetylene due to the extreme drop in pressure. If course, we're talking about milliseconds, but I don't think neither feeling cold nor hot will reach your brain before it gets squished.
>>
>>38178234
>>38178893
The heat from the torch would cause the propane in the tank to explode before you cut through the tank since propane auto-ignites at a much lower temperature than that needed to cut metal
>>
>>38178893
this sounds sketchy asking about explosions i know but like youd just be using the torch and then all of a sudden youre dead basically without even thinking about the explosion?

honestly to me its crazy theres such powerful stuff in the world.

theres this old guy named richard whos like 75 and 5'4 who would literally be filling a houses propane tank and chain smoking the whole damn time. the dude smokes like 3 packs a day lol im surprised this never happened to him
>>
>>38179020
No.

>>38179055
Unless there's a leak you could have a bonfire next to the tank while filling it. Old man Dick knows what's up.
>>
>>38179109
lol thats what everyone calls him to, the dude cusses like every 5 words "motherfucker" is probably used as much as the, a and of
>>
>>38179109
I work at a natural gas refinery, bub. Nice armchair science though
>>
>>38179193
I'm an engineer working for a company specialized in making custom high pressure tanks. What do you do? Sweep the floor, clean the empty tanks?
>>
>>38179243
I am on tank wipe duty
>>
>>38179243
I can't give much information due to a confidentiality agreement but I lead a research team
>>
>>38179277
Top kek lad, I'll give you an E for effort.
>>
>>38178234
Either instant death or you would get blown down the street with horrible or mild burns with the fall potentially causing death
>>
>>38179291
I'm not concerned with whether or not you believe me. As a scientist, I have a responsibility to correct casuals such as yourself when they provide incorrect information
>>
>>38179364
Well, good luck with you research then. I hope you don't embarrass yourself too much when someone finds out you don't understand basic laws of physics and chemistry.
>>
>>38179454
Hm that's odd. My doctorate says otherwise. Have fun cleaning my coffee rings off of the desk later
>>
>>38179479
Let's see that reaction C3H8 undergoes as it "auto" ignites in a tank. I'm genuinely curious. Is it even exothermic?
>>
File: pepe (3).jpg (60KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
pepe (3).jpg
60KB, 655x527px
>>38178234
it depends, I'm going to assume you mean an oxy line torch, this would mean the flame would be mostly stable, else it would be extinguished very quickly.

depending on how well the tank of the truck is built, either:
>The hole would cause a catastrophic failure, causing the whole tank to burst, likley along a seam, there would then be an enormous fireball as the propane escapes, mixes with the air and is then ignited by the torch, the fire would rage for a long time as much of the propane would cool to the point where it is stable as a liquid, burning over time.

>More likely is the tank is more than robust enough to sustain a pinhole, a pressurised, cryogenic jet of propane would shoot out and then ignite, this would cause a flamethrower like effect which would burn for hours.

the propane in the tank wouldn't "detonate"
the tank wouldn't be ripped to shreds, you'd probably get burned to death or die of asphyxiation.
>>
File: pepe (4).jpg (38KB, 362x362px) Image search: [Google]
pepe (4).jpg
38KB, 362x362px
>>38179559
>>38179479
>>38179454
>>38179364
>>38179291
>>38179277
>>38179243
>>38179193
>>38179109
propane will not ignite within the tank (under nornal filling conditions) EVER. there is no oxygen in the tank, no ignition, it's really simple. I'm not a research scientist or a pressure engineer, i'm a NEET who understands the fucking fire triangle. GET A GRIP!
>>
You might even be vaporized in the blast, I worked at a place that did propane conversions on buses and one of the cylinders (55 gallons) cooked off, knocked the walls of the building down
>>
>>38179946
I'm not sure why you're including my posts, only the pretend-scientist said it'd explode without oxygen.
>>
>>38180023
You need very much more heat to vaporize a body in such a short amount of time than any propane fire could create in normal atmosphere.
>>
>>38180093
Maybe "pieces all over the place" would have been more accurate
>>
>>38179946
Someone with actual sense showed up.

My turn to say that if it is under pressure it could just become a big torch itself and set you on fire and flying, the pressure keeping the oxygen from getting inside the tank, at least at first, as it cuts into you and sets you on fire.
>>
>>38180032
you two boasting about bullshit credentials in an argument that contains no advanced concepts.
>>
>>38180023
that is different, that's an over-pressure explosion, in that case yeh, you'd be turbo fucked.
>>
>>38180172
don't know if it'd cut into you but yeh there'd most likley just be a big jet of fire out of the hole,
>>
>>38180186
Stop acting like I said you'd need to be an engineer to know this, I explicitly called it a basic law of chemistry. If you wanna berate me for boasting with my degree and making fun of a liar on the internet, go right ahead, I wouldn't care.
>>
>>38178234
I remember in Red Cross training talking to a firefighter who was a responder to an accident involving one of those. That were the second ladder on the scene. The first was lost in the explosion. One guy was declared missing. They found the steel toes from his boots.

The explosion was tremendous.
>>
File: failed_OP_suicide.png (259KB, 550x420px) Image search: [Google]
failed_OP_suicide.png
259KB, 550x420px
>>38180234
I concur. People think they'd just die but nope.

Why you don't light stuff near the egg smell.
>>
>>38180292
>I wouldn't care
the why are you responding to me?
If you have to bring in your credentials to win an argument then it shows your argument isn't good enough.
>>
>>38180398
He was the one bringing up working for a refinery after clearly outing himself as clueless. Where would've been the fun if I replied to that with "propane won't ignite without oxygen"? I didn't have an argument, I was making fun of an idiot.
>>
>>38180491
Do the ladies find your knowledge of propane sexy, Hank?
>>
>>38180526
Not, that's why I'm showing off on /r9k/. Ladies find my income sexy, but not enough to offset my looks and lack of eloquence and social skills.
>>
What ever it is you're planning op I hope it goes well.
>>
>>38180491
question, because it's uncommon that i get to talk to someone with such specific expertise, if i want a carbon fibre pressure tank rated to at least 100bar with an operation temperature of at-least 240 degrees C and a capacity of around 50-100L
A: is that even possible
B: how much am i looking at for a tank like that? 100s, 1000s, 10000s?
>>
>>38180665
I have absolutely no experience with carbon fiber tanks, no idea if someone makes them for high temperature applications.
>>
>>38180665
>not him
A stainless steel process tank like the one you're talking about would probably be at least $10k brand new nowadays with the pressure welds. We used to buy them used. Carbon fiber that holds pressure? I did food production for years and I've never even heard of such a thing, what's it for?
>>
>>38180865
that's steep, modern dive tanks are made of carbon fiber, we're making a drag racer at my university and i wanted to utilise a steam rocket, i wanted carbon fibre to keep wight down and steam rockets work best at 240 degrees C which i above the operational temp of most carbon dive tanks.
>>
>>38180946
Ask a manufacturer that makes oxygen tanks for firemen, those should be rated for quite high temperatures. Be prepared to spend high 4 digits at the very least, a whole lot more if nothing on the market suits your needs. It's certainly possible.
>>
>>38180946
Oh, yeah I guess it doesn't need to be sterile then, oops.
>>
>>38180946
Actually, how are you going to stabilize it? Rockets spin, if it's supposed to be rolling, on wheels, that's gonna be a lot more difficult. If seen jet dragsters, jet bikes and a jet school bus in person before, but they're for show, not for speed.

I imagine a steam rocket isn't easier to keep from going sideways.
>>
>>38181358
well that's why we're in univerity. the basic principal is that the centre of mass has to lead the centre of pressure (centre of drag) the centre of pressure on a dragster can be brought backwards with large grippy wheels and spoilers on the back.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.