[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to learn to program/code stuff, but every time I try,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1499281228670.gif (2MB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1499281228670.gif
2MB, 500x400px
I want to learn to program/code stuff, but every time I try, I "get" it right away, but quickly forget what I learned because I'm not using it on a consistent basis-working toward a final goal/project. I'm specifically trying to learn python because it will be a useful tool for my major (Biochemistry) when I get into the professional world.

What are some tips/stuff to work on so that I am able to retain what I learn? I'm looking to devote 5-10 hours a week to. (20-30 hours if I'm able to make money off it)
>>
You just don't "get" programming. It's a learning process, like learning a new language
>>
You need some kind of project to work on. Join some open source bullshit and contribute to it.
>>
>>38176110

and just like learning a new language, it's done most efficiently through immersion. So, I figure if I immerse myself into working toward something I will be able to remember better. I just don't know what would be a good place to start for a noob.
>>
>>38175969
It's similar to math, you can read about it and 'get' it, but you have to practice to truly master it
>>
It's easy to learn what a command does, but without using it you will forget. Just program a little app. Most books will have projects at the end of chapters
>>
>>38175969

If you get it right away then you don't need to learn anything else
>>
ebbinghaus's forgetting curve
>>
>>38175969
Programming is not about getting it its about doing it. And quite frankly alot of stuff in life is just like that.
On average a person forgets about 50% of what they learn in about 3 months if they do not use it after that.

Instead of reading about programming, pick a program you would like to make, start it and build your knowledge as you go through it. Find bits of code online that you need in your program and when you do, understand them and so on. By the time youre done with your program even with 1 hour a week youll know more than just reading for 5 hours a week.
>>
>>38175969
Read Dive into Python 3, then fuck off to >>>/g/ and look for one of their programming challenge things.
>>
>>38175969
Go to edx and take the course but don't pay for it
Skip all the lectures if you don't need it and do the projects they give you.
>>
>>38175969
You're a fucking retard who just answered his own question.
>quickly forget what I learned because I'm not using it on a consistent basis
The answer is right fucking there, start working on small projects while learning. Things like this require constant practice or you will forget. Now leave and don't post ever again.
>>
What the fuck can I do with python?

why are normies learning it and why do i care
>>
>>38176110
i'm pretty sure nobody needs to be "taught" how a basic IF function works
>>
>>38176456

Would make a bot for a game be a good beginner project? (I'm sure it will need its parameters updated every time the game releases a patch). desu, I don't even know where to start.

>>38176816
I did not answer my own question though, I'm just aware of my own downfall, but I don't know where I can start/what a beginner is capable of doing.
>>
>>38176825
server side/network scrips, AI or game dev

if neither of those apply don't use python for it
>>
lets learn react together and make discord bots with nodejs
pls i so lonely
>>
>>38177052
Why the fuck would you need React for a chatbot
>>
Use an IDE where it just auto completes everything and checks syntax.
>>
>>38177103
i dont
discord bots are just something i do for fun
i wanna learn react but i too dumb and lazy
>>
I've been doing python for years, and the way I learned it is by making little programs whenever I had an idea. I always had a goal for the program in mind, and I used Google to fill in the gaps in my knowledge to get there.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.