[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>never really played videogames >the closest interaction

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: 14816357381360.png (397KB, 420x776px) Image search: [Google]
14816357381360.png
397KB, 420x776px
>never really played videogames
>the closest interaction between me and modern gaming is playing Team Fortress 2 for an hour
I missed nothing, right? And watching streams is for little kids, right?
>>
>>38080753
It sounds like you're bragging for not playing videogames. Think you're 2mature4u?

On another note, I don't play vidya either but I'm sure there are still games that can be fun if you have the personality that allows you immerse yourself. You're not missing out if you do other things with your life and don't even enjoy games.
>>
>>38080802
>It sounds like you're bragging for not playing videogames
I'm both bragging and looking for advice
Maybe drowning in the sea of degeneracy would be a good development in my life
>>
File: v1zu0uq13f2z.jpg (24KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
v1zu0uq13f2z.jpg
24KB, 500x375px
>>38080753
In terms of having it affect your life positively, no you really didn't miss that much apart from making friends and experiencing the various communities that have existed for different games throughout time.

Sure never playing any of the early halo games on Xbox Live isn't going to affect your chances of getting a job, but you'll never be able to experience that amazing sense of being part of a shitty toxic clusterfuck of a community that everyone loved so much.

You aren't going to make lifelong friends with anyone from your WoW guild and fly out to see two of them getting married.

You're never going to get that immense sense of accomplishment from winning a match for your team by yourself, or the feeling of pride when you and your buddies fucking stomp that shit eating enemy team/boss.

You aren't going to sit around until the sun comes up just shooting the shit with a group of people you barely know talking about anything and everything with no social limitations or restrictions.

It's like if someone went to college and never went out and socialized at all (Assuming they graduated with acceptable scores). Sure never socializing with randoms isn't going to stop you from succeeding in life or getting a job, but you're never going to hang around and make those amazing universal (while at the same time unique) experiences and memories.

You'll never have that instant "in" with a group of people because you never played the games they did, hell any games at all. You miss out on a huge chunk of cultural knowledge that effects your avenues for socializing and making friends. So to answer your question(s), no you didn't miss anything essential and unless an e-sports event is being shown streams are good background noise at best.
>>
Like most things in life, 99% of video games are shit. You're missing out on a few hundred games, but nothing more. That being said, you don't seem to have a problem with shit considering you play TF2.
>>
Contrary to popular opinion, video games are legitimately a waste of time.
>>
>>38081642
agreed, it's when you play them and with who that makes the difference.
>>
>>38081605
>You aren't going to make lifelong friends with anyone from your WoW guild and fly out to see two of them getting married.
That's just sad even for a robot, pal
>>38081642
>TF2
Yeah, a whole fucking hour
>>
>>38081750
>>38081605
>has friends
>has disposable income

kek look at this fuckin loser.
>>
>>38080753
You just need to find vidya that you enjoy. Maybe you're into puzzle games like Infinifactory or RTSs like starcraft. You never know until you try. I don't play much but when I do I play survival games with a friend. Rust, lately. Everything else I get bored of real quick.
>>
>>38081750
But really, you've never played Mario or something? Geez.
>>
>>38080753
as an ex gamer i can say, games are the biggest waste of time in the goddamn universe, it fucks with your productivity and motivation
because games gives you fast rewards (dopamine rush) while real life achievements takes a lot of time so you can't focus on anything
another aspect is that it's escapism.
it's so hard to be someone in real life, to be strong and respected
but in games is fucking easy because it's pushing buttons
getting strong in real life requires you to hit the gym like crazy
if you want to have money in real life you need to work your ass off
everything takes effort and gaming doesn't.
>>
it means you suck at games and can't relate to people who did play games. If games define your childhood it must suck to be you. Then again we are all on /r9k/ for a reason. Some people in this thread are arguing you make friendships and shit online playing with others. Not always true. I played a shit load of games online and have 0 friends I still talk to from them. most of them are just on my friends list. I'm currently in stem field and a lot of the people around me are young. they ask me why i don't play overwatch with them, and i tell them because it looks boring. they just don't get it that theres more to life than vidya

Also yes, streams of other people playing games are for children, and manchilds. I used to watch people play competitive level sc2/LoL/Dota but that was a waste of time too. Tournaments weren't bad to watch but I really got sucked up into watching different personalities
>>
>>38080753
It depends.

If you're a friendless shut-in loser already but spent your time reading books or something it will make you feel better and keep you occupied.

If you're a normie with a job, friends, and a girlfriend there's no point playing anything but mobile trash because even if you only play AAA games on console it's still a significant investment of time and money to experience them properly and get good at them. That and your bros probably play Clash Royale already.
>>
File: 1409578354532.gif (999KB, 190x121px) Image search: [Google]
1409578354532.gif
999KB, 190x121px
>>38080753

Missed nothing senpai

Its all shit and its getting worse somehow
>>
>>38081860
>everything takes effort and gaming doesn't
Sounds like you only played entry-level casual games.
Come back when you can 1CC DaiOuJou and tell me that games aren't rewarding.
>>
File: 8568.jpg (53KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
8568.jpg
53KB, 500x375px
>>38080753

Yes, you did. It's not even much of an opinion, pretty objective desu

>Playing handhelds at elementry/middleschool
>Spending nights with friends playing MMORPGs and adventuring with them over skype/teamspeak
>Later doing the same thing in the end of middleschool/highschool on Garry's Mod (especially stuff like murder, prop hunt, and DarkRP which you could spend days on without ever getting bored if you have someone to play with) or survival games/shooters
>Immersing yourself in a a good story (especially with RPGs)
>Getting the kick out of rewarding online shooters

Considering that I'm a robot, some of these consist of the best memories I have.
>>
>>38082209
pushing some buttons on a stupid game has the same effort as being a successful wealthy person with great body, sure thing kid.
>>
>>38080753
the thing is, how do you spend your free time if you are a robot?
>>
One cool thing about video games is that you can play them with friends who live far away, and as a result stay in contact with friends you would have lost contact with otherwise.
>>
>>38083292
Conspiracy theories and redpills
The rabbit hole goes insanely deep
>>
>>38082313
>murder, prop hunt, and DarkRP which you could spend days on without ever getting bored if you have someone to play with
This autism. You probably like SAMP and Minecraft too
>>
>>38083515
i play vidya, study, look at those, meme around and still fuckload of freetime left.
>>
>>38083599
Come to endchan, like I said, the rabbit hole is deep
>>
>>38080753
Games come down to: gameplay, story and people that you play with
Gameplay is just an addictive nothing burger that's fun while you're at it but once you end playing you understand that you've wasted all this time, it's like you were hypnotized during playing, feels like shit, it's like you're addicted to a shitty drug.
Stories are meh obviously, it's fucking vidya writing, the only games you would want to play are the ones where you make your own choices such as the FNV, Planescape torment and other isometric RPGs or to an extent Stanley Parable
And people that you play with? Well, that's obvious, you either have them or you don't. And it gets stagnant after a while anyway.
>>
>>38080753
>I missed nothing, right?
You've potentially missed out on fun games, but there are other fun things as well.
Watching streams is for little kids and basic bitches, yeah.
>>
Video games are for people who aren't depressed. People like me get mechanically attached to the systems in the game because they're designed to be enjoyed on many different levels and some of those are so primal (risk aversion for instance) that you get stuck with them out of compulsion rather than enjoyment.

Games like Farmville are a great example. There's nothing enjoyable about the game. There's no strategy. No pleasant interactions. It's a waiting game. They rely entirely on emotional response from cute graphics and the risk averse nature of humans (if you don't plant your crops and come back at regular intervals you will be losing out).

For people without depression that's fine. You can do that and have fun. Without issue. For depressed people entertainment is usually just a complete waste of time. It passes time. That's it.

If you missed my point its not about Farmville. Almost all games contain elements like these now. Be it daily/weekly whatever rewards or whatnot.

I used to play video games a lot. Approx 80 hours a week. This was before I realized why I was playing. There's still some level of enjoyment from being good at something. But it's not fun or happiness.
Now instead of playing video games I spend time programming and working out. It has the same amount of fun except it's more of a future gain for me. I have some concerns though. Certain genres of games suffer right now and may die out. It feels bad to potentially miss out on my last chance to really play those games.

For normies (like my brother) video gaming is a pleasant and social hobby. He plays Dota 2 at a relatively high level. He pressures me into playing with him because I'm one of the only people who know the game well enough to make him feel like he's playing with someone similar (the knowledge requirement in that game is huge at his level). He mostly plays with lower rank players. Girls among them. Which is torture for me but he doesn't know.
>>
>>38086127
If I were to interpret his general enjoyment of games it's that he's a very competitive person combined with how he enjoys the downtime. Dota 2 is a game that gives you time to chat, in between games and during games.
I think he vastly expanded his social circle through games too. He wasn't always that social. Now he has over 200 people on his friends list and is actually getting attention from most of them. Some of them he plays with for the sake of the game. Others are more for social connection.

I there's games where the social aspect is bigger. Like Left 4 dead 2. Girls play that game remarkably much (as I've learned from my brother). They seem to gravitate towards that side of things. In those games you could have friends like you would if you join any hobby or club.

If you wonder what I'm playing I played the most social recluse games available. CSGO without friends, arena fps games (1v1 modes) and path of exile (technically a mmo but you really play alone. Almost entirely).

I say if you don't need any of the ups I've presented don't bother. Also you would have to seek out friends like always. Join a community of some sort. It's not common for random people in the video game to actually contact each other.

Streams are similarly social. There's great variety. They're mainly for very light social interaction but regulars enjoy it more. It's usually the more secluded places that has more intimacy. Like Liriks non-aub chat room. They're what you'd expect from an old unpopular #talk IRC room.

I think hobbies where you meet in person can be more productive but they're generally more effort and time dedication.
>>
>>38086127
>>38086293
Wait, so video games are basically the same as going to a club, except with "nerds"?
I thought it was the exact opposite, just a bunch of depressed people
>>
this is why girls are doing better in school
>>
>>38086127
btw, how do I see what the routine voip conversation between gamers sounds like (banter and stuff, not game communication)
I checked out twitch before creating the thread expecting to get just that but all I got was bad acting and really forced reactions, I even tried to watch the streams that got no viewers but the people there were either completely silent or fake as hell too.
>>
>>38086593
Depends. But sort-of.
The groups vary a lot. My brother and his friends are certainly not depressed.
>>38086632
No that's ridiculous. I spent a lot of time on video games and did best in class in any subject I cared for.

The reason women do better in class is because they're generally obedient and don't rebel when they're given stupid pointless tasks.
Also school is adapted for women mostly. It's a terrible environment to teach most boys in.
>>
>>38086127
>>38084755
Also looking at the gameplay of some of the stuff I watched I was immediatly in panic and my autism started kicking in. There's like thousands of things happening on the screen and flashing colors everywhere. I thought Overwatch was this diversity thing that tumblr liked, not a thing that you literally can't understand from an outsider perspective.
In fact you'll find it funny but the reason I didn't get into games is pretty related to the sentence above, I found them really demanding, I can't ass myself to spend time to understand a game, that's fucking effort. I know they make them in a way that you'll enjoy learning them but since I know they are like that it wouldn't work on me that well.
And my line of thought with single player games was different, gameplay in any shape or form (from the time of arcades lol) I just found boring, but story based games seemed even different, I'm not really sure how good jews are at creating artificial worlds today, but if they are fake it would be fucking boring, and if they're not fake... that's fucking scary man, I'd rather keep my sanity.

Please don't tell me that I got everything wrong and it's nothing like I described
>>
>>38086771
Streams are generally a very bad representation of actual gamer interactions. If you look at the low end of views (20 MAX) you will find lots of people where a dude or girl just streams what their experiences are like. And generally it's just chatting with friends while playing a video game.

I had a perfect person and example that comes to mind that's d3th_ (virtually no viewers). But he's mostly playing a new arenafps (quake Champions) right now that doesn't reflect the normal situation at all.

I can't find good casual conversation right now actually.

>>38087060
Yes. Video games are hectic overall.
Overwatch is a game that's very fast and it has poor visual clarity (its players don't seem to mind though).
Most games take time to learn and enjoy. The thing is that depth is what keeps people playing and having people play your game is effective marketing. So most are rather complicated. I'd also say that you're just experiencing something even gamers experience. Most of these games don't communicate what's going on through visuals but they communicate what effects are going on through visuals. So the understanding of what's going on comes from understanding what each visual effect means not from understanding the visual effect itself.

For instance. Green is often the color of healing in games. You don't see that it's healing directly you just understand it's intent through having learned that it looks like that when it does healing.
(cont.)
>>
>>38087332
As soon as you get past that barrier it starts getting way easier. Some games have that barrier set very high, others set it very low. Dota 2 as I mentioned sets it very high. They have over 100 different characters with different effects and the only intuitive way to know what's going on without having learned it first is knowing that your enemies probably do things to you that harm you. So you're likely to be very lost.

A more introductory friendly popular game would be player unknowns battle grounds (very bad name yes). Its like a Battle Royale movie. People are tossed out of a plane onto an island as teams or individuals and fight until there's a last team standing. It's intuitive because you know about all the elements. It's a realistic setting. You want guns to kill people and you want bandages and stuff to heal yourself. They do tend to be clumsy in interface though. Which makes them harder than they would have to be.

There's of course more simple games around but I don't know anything about them really. I'm not all that casual and as I mentioned complexity is part of the puzzle for the most popular games.

>story/single player games
Not sure what you mean. It'd be nice if you elaborate. I'm interested. I don't get many non-gamer perspective on games.
>>
>>38087383
I should have started off by saying that games vary a lot. A lot more than any other medium I'd say. So it's gonna be difficult to get a grasp on it really. Attempting to get a general idea of gamers as a whole is just a fools errand.
What I write is mainly about my observations.
>>
>>38083542
> le anything outdated i don't like is autistic but don't expect me to mention what I like best meme
>>
>>38087934
It has nothing to do with being outdated but with them being autism (roleplay) simulators
>>
>>38082573
>being completely focused on juggling multiple cerebral and motor activities where every second counts like base building, unit microing or player movement and strategically thinking about other things such as your objective, enemy's location and tactics, then coming up with counters and executing them on the fly is "pushing buttons"

I'd saying picking things up repeatedly between rests and/or reading a few lines of a book is, while being more real-world applicable, a tad less engaging than a lot of video games. The concentration, relentlessness, perfect mechanical execution as well as undiminished creativity and good feels are all gifts given to me by video games, and by accounting for tradeoffs and keeping them in check you can benefit from playing them very minimally.
>>
>>38087383
Single player games where the focus is on the gameplay.
And single player games where the focus is on the story?

I think you don't understand me and I sound retarded because one of these is probably dead or they are both completely blended with each other.
Thanks with the rest though
>>
Depends on what kind of game you're playing desu.

Story based/ single player games and games that are easy to pick up (non-competitive TF2), you aren't missing out on anything.

However, you are way to old to experience things like fighting games, which have a long standing, established community, actual depth, and most importantly, money. Look at this fuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Umehara

He's made thousands of dollars and has sponsorships from actual companies like redbull. Why? Because there are thousands of people spending time and effort to be even 1/10 as good as him, and if you've noticed, more and more actual sports organizations are starting to notice that. You really have to work for some games and push your mental and mechanical ability. I guess some people are non-competitive, so they see these kind of video games as a waste of time. But for a lot of men, video games are just another medium to pit themselves against other people.
>>
>>38088203
Ah. Well most are a mix. There's entirely story focused games that are really just interactive movies in some sense (you control the view, i dont like them, Dear Esther is the example I'd point to).
For a good single player mixed story game I recommend The Witness. It's probably the best game of all time imo. But it's inaccessible in terms of story. It's not like you need to read books or anything like that it's just not as on the face as you would have seen in any movie or other medium.
The gameplay may seem incredibly boring on the face of it (you trace paths on a grid on screens in the game) but it really isn't.

Some games are rather light on everything but the story. You tend to get something extra by immersion and the connection controlling a character gives you (when things go smooth). Generally not my cup of tea but there's clearly successful examples.
>>
>>38088010
But not a single game you mentioned is exclusively for roleplaying, nor were most of the modes the other guy mentioned about roleplaying? Hell, GMod as well as TF2 used to be amazing for griefing and trolling roleplayers and dumb kids. Just go look it up on JewTube

Don't be an edgy fag. Those games had good engines open to manipulation by modders, I doubt you'd know how to make your own mode with Lua or C++
>>
>>38080753
>And watching streams is for little kids, right
Absolutely.

Anyone ITT that has written more than a couple sentences is more than likely autistic.
>>
>>38088564
>streamcuck
>>
>>38088564
And yet... here you are.

He thinks he's Chad... he think's he's a normalfag... but he's trash... unnecessary trash just like those he disparages.
>>
>>38088518
So what's the story there?
>>
File: 1426988984063[1].jpg (676KB, 891x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1426988984063[1].jpg
676KB, 891x1186px
>>38080753
You missed a lot. You'll never catch up. It's going to be a bigger and bigger deal every year that you never did this as it's gradually becoming a very common hobby.

At this point, it's almost "I don't listen to music"-tier.
>>
>video games
That's shit. Cool people go to anime expos
twitch tv/trihex
>>
>>38088962
What's the point in music?
>>
>>38089043
>normies in chat ironically calling a smash player normie
I'm offended.
>>
>>38089127
Emotional release, fun, motivation to work, connecting with music communities, brain development, relating to other people, not appearing as an emotionless weirdo to others.
>>
>>38089227
>motivation to work
>brain development
>relating to other people
>not appearing as an emotionless weirdo to others
HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH
(inhales)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>38089331
>Can't even form a coherent argument
>Thinks anything of the things listed are unimportant
HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH
(inhales)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.