[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any musical anons here? What's your age, what can you play,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 15

Any musical anons here?

What's your age, what can you play, and how long have you been playing?
Do you have a favorite song?

I'm 19, I don't play shit, but I'm saving up to buy a basic guitar and teach myself. I would have played piano and guitar as a kid but my parents couldn't afford to buy me instruments.
>>
Other anon in the same shit here o/

Well bro, I was never to music. But I am seeing the hole that I am entering with this attitude, and now, at my late 20, I decided to teach myself a guitar.
I bought a old one and will learn with my professor called Youtube lessons.

Hope one day know a few musics to play to a love.
>>
>>38050041
I built my own guitar a couple of years ago. It broke in two weeks. I want to build a new one.
>>
>>38050293
Built? How was that? lol
>>
>>38050041
>22
>Guitar to be more specific: Chords, Arpeggio, and riffs
>Since I was 9 or 10,I used to play quite a bit when I was in my teens. I stopped playing a few years ago because I wasn't really good at it on top of being too lazy to learn theory, I never bothered to learn full songs as I had no one else to play with
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1fNfFSWqqA6
>>
I played the guitar since i was 16 but i don't feel like playing anymore.
Which is sad,since in high school the only thing that cheered me up was sitting in a room with no distractions and playing the guitar.
Guess my feels have surpassed my creativity
>>
File: 117992a.jpg (23KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
117992a.jpg
23KB, 300x240px
ive actually been playing guitar since i was 8, im 20 now, its the only thing i think im decent at. play classical and progressive rock for the most part. I dont have a fav song to play
>dream theater
>eric johnson
>polyphia
>chon
>classical shit
etc..
>>
>>38050041
>22
>muh acoustic
>just started piano
>>
Music is ok OP but don't expect it to bring you roasties.
>>
I've been playing drums for the past 10 years or so, also play in 2 bands. It's the only thing that keeps me from being a total recluse
>>
File: golden_field_by_ryky-d9leq75.jpg (261KB, 1150x695px) Image search: [Google]
golden_field_by_ryky-d9leq75.jpg
261KB, 1150x695px
>>38050041
i play acoustic guitar, eletric guitar, working on bass and planning on learning either violin or piano
been playing for 2 years, hopping in and out of local bands which never work and making some $ playing at bars at night, the bad thing is they always want me to play plebshit music
ironicaly enough, my favorite song is a vidya OST, more pecisely this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvX0IOoChd4
playing this in the cold dead silence of the morning with the rising sun behind the mounstains is peace in it's purest form and the perfect way to start any day
>>
>>38050041
I'm too retarded to learn guitar chords, so I'm a drummer. Being doing it for around five years now, almost 20. My rudiments are shit, but I like jamming and play with a few people from college. I love prog rock, so I've been learning some keyboard riffs from Genesis (my favourite band) and the like, and my old man is encouraging me to become great at piano because he thinks I have potential. Figured he would have learned that wasn't the case ten years ago, but I like the instrument and need the theory practice, so the encouragement is nice
>>
File: 1498773223902.png (35KB, 675x827px) Image search: [Google]
1498773223902.png
35KB, 675x827px
>>38050041
>played guitar for years since I was 13
>got into drugs and doing nothing but playing video games after highschool
>now 26
>pick up my guitar after seeing this thread
>can barely remember anything
FUCK
>>
File: 1494722899119.jpg (204KB, 1170x923px) Image search: [Google]
1494722899119.jpg
204KB, 1170x923px
samefag as >>38050420 here
also i can't even begin to explain how i'm fucking pissed at my culture, i'll greentext it

>be me 14 yo monkeyfag A.K.A Brazilian
>did literaly fuck all because no goals or dreams = it doesn't matter, nothing fucking matters
>diagnosed with MDD, anger management problems and anxiety
>but
>avid fan of music since the age of 4
>it was the only thing that kept me calm for more than 10m
>put 2 and 2 together
>"if i like music, i should try learning it right? i mean worse than what it is right now my life won't get so let's give a go"
>first day with the teacher
>nervous as all heavens
>play really awkwardly but manage to get it done
>teacher's eyes open up as he tries to contain his smile
>pedo.jpg
>but in fact he was happy to see me perform
>said most students took 2-3 weeks to do what i did
>on the way out mommy is there to pick me up
>teacher comes up to her
>"hey, golden kid you've got here, he's got talent"
>"don't let him waste it"
>it was the very first time someone said was made for something
>i, for the first time in my whole life to that point, had a goal
>my life had a meaning
>happy.flac
>got really absorved into it
>since then me and my teacher became close friends
>he still hammers the idea that i have talent
>music is literaly the only thing between me and the sweet release of death
>TFW low self esteem makes me think it's all lies to make me feel slightly better
>TFW plan on making a living out of this
>TFW hopes and dream are crushed due to shit culture only accepting mass-produced no-effort auditory trash like BR funk (it's really fucking bad, like there's friday levels of bad then there's this horseshit)
hold me musical robots, hold me tight for i might fall into the pit soon
>>
>>38050041
Instruments
>Bass, Cello, Trumpet, Mellophone, and Euphonium
>played since 7th grade
>I guess the pep tunes we used to play at football games
>>
>>38050468
>Genesis
My nigga, what albums do you like?
>>
>>38051179
underageb& leave before this place really gets to you
>>
>>38050041
I'm turning 23 in a couple weeks. I've been playing guitar since I was in the 4th grade. I've played in bands since I was 15. My band recently dumped me out of the blue to start a new band, with the two brothers' dad on guitar. I dunno. I'm considered "good" by most standards, but I'm shit compared to people who *really* get into it. Everybody moves their own bar, and feels shit compared to who they compare to.

I play blues, classic rock, alternative rock, delta blues, anything. My favorite song is probably the Cowboy Song by Thin Lizzy, or Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) at the Austin City Limits (89 version).
>>
I'm 19, I have a 1967 Gibson SG (electric guitar) and I've been playing two hours a day for the past two years.

A year and a half ago, I would play guitar on voice chats, and people would say "stop playing that shitty guitar". I go on Omegle and improvise guitar solos now, and people don't skip and stay and watch/listen.

If you're going to play guitar, learn the minor pentatonic scale, as most rock songs use this scale in riffs and solos. When you get tired of playing the same basic things with this scale, learn other scales and just piece together your own songs with it.

I've never had a guitar lesson before, I've just dicked around on a guitar and learned the terminology of it. I learned the minor pentatonic scale accidentally.

tl;dr: learn scales
>>
>>38051590
also, for those of us who circlejerk about the guitars we have:

started on some cheap Jay Turser Strat copy
moved onto an Agile PRS clone
Then bought my first guitar myself that wasn't a gift - 2009 American Fender Stratocaster, Olympic White
Got a 1994 Gibson Les Paul Studio for a birthday
Bought myself a 1967 Gibson Melody Maker

My gig rotation is between the Fender and the two Gibsons. I feel the most comfortable on the Strat.
>>
Gear circlejerk nao?
PRS SE Custom 24 (my newest one, shred guitar)
Strat American Standard (added a shawbucker bridge pickup for muh mids)
And just a basic Gibson Les Paul (my first, and I keep it for sentimental value)
I recently bought the Boss Katana modeling amp, before that I was using the old fender mustang. As far as a tube amp, I use an orange twin channel head amp.
>>
>>38050041
I play 12 string. Self taught, use to listen to leo kottke when i was real little so I gravitated towards him when i was older. Faheys my nigga tho
>>
I have a guitar and think I could have fun with playing some simple stuff but I'm a beginner so I can only do boring exercises and read shit and I don't have enough willpower or something to force myself to do it.
I can't play anything so I can't do anything fun until I've exercised a lot more.
>>
>>38050041
22, played sax for years but honestly I've walked away from it in the past year because 1) I have nobody to play with since I never joined band when I transferred to a new university and 2) I hit a roadblcok I ddin't feel like overcoming.

Honestly, biggest mistake of my life and I need to get back into it.
>>
tfw musically handicapped
>>
File: 1486505392401.jpg (45KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1486505392401.jpg
45KB, 1000x800px
hello how do I get good at guitar
>>
>>38052477
play 8 hours a day for 10 years and you might be as good as someone who was born talented that just started.
>>
>>38050041
I only play the piano, I almost have all of The Spirit Carries On by dream theater committed to memory. I started last summer, i could've learned it all by now but I procrastinate like a mofo
>>
>>38050041
I'm pretty good, I'm 20yrs old. I think I was 17 when I first started playing guitar, I was instantly in love with it. I didn't really have any friends, but my guitar was always there for me on the lonely weekends. I sat in my room and just played, sometime I'd literally play all day, from sun up to sun down, stopping only to use the bathroom. I started teaching myself piano at maybe 18yrs old, I can't play a lot but the songs I can sound great. I had some absolutely beautiful recordings from when I got the chance to play a grand piano, I would listen to them and it sounded so fucking good. Normally you always judge yourself harsher, but even then those recordings were just beautiful. Couldn't believe I'd created such a sound. Phone reset and I lost them all. It's been months but it still makes me feel depressed every time I think of it.
>>
>>38053149
Ah, and favorite songs:
Guitar: https://www.gametabs.net/kirby039s-epic-yarn/kirbys-pad
It's not advanced or anything but I guess that'a why I like it, it's very upbeat and optimistic and fun to play, makes me happy.

Piano: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8HfCV4IFtUg
First song I ever learned, and what got me into piano. I heard it and immediately knew I wanted to play it. I couldn't read notes so I just learned the whole thing by ear. It's amazing looking back at how much I've progressed, starting from just barely figuring out the song to bringing it to life. A few times my playing has brought people to tears, it's a nice feeling, idk.
>>
>>38051869
Terrible attitude to have anon, don't listen to people telling you you HAVE to learn the fundamentals and shit first. If you wanna be some pro player, sure maybe, but I learned entirely by just playing songs I loved. The point of it imo is to play music, and nothing will teach you how that better than actually playing. You will be so much more focused and motivated when instead of playing chords and scales you're bringing your favorite song to life. It's easy to sit down for hours figuring it out and is insanely rewarding. You can always go back and learn the music theory later.
>>
I was forced to learn piano when I was about 8. I didnt like it until I was 13 and I played one at a mall when I was with a friend and he thought it was super cool and some old people were watching.

As a stupid kid I loved the attention and later wanted to showoff my talent desperate for attention and got called out for it.

I don't play in front of people anymore but its refreshing to play on the weekend.
>>
i am a famous guitarist

you have to play all day every day. simple as that. i started at ~10.
>>
mostly self taught on piano for 8 years. Took like 1 year of lessons to learn sheets but that's it. Apparently my (very fotb Russian) instructor's family are famous pianists in Russia? I don't remember the name though since she was married to an american and took his last name.

anyways, most of what I know is anime and touhou songs. I think my favorite is Gravity from Wolf's Rain... I'm really good at sad songs.
>>
>>38053245
But what if I just don't have the skill for it?
I can read tabs but when I can't do the stuff with my fingers, what is there to do other than just exercises?
>>
>>38050041
I'm 23, played trumpet and French horn in high school, taught myself to play guitar in 2013. Go for it, you won't realise how easy some complicated sounding songs are until you try to play them (stairway to heaven, sweet home alabama).
>>
>>38050702
Get back at it, friend. Its like riding a bicycle.
>>
>>38051179
>>38051179
Stick to music if you really are good at it, but stay away from here, and the internet in general. I was principal trumpet player in a tri-state honor band and now I'm a failed chemistry major. My brother was a music teacher, but quickly quit to sell insurance and make double salary. Don't go into music unless you intend to be THE BEST, especially as a trumpet player.
>>
File: 1493012197456.jpg (220KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1493012197456.jpg
220KB, 1920x1200px
I can say that my only talent is being really at guitar drums and bass. I don't know how i got the trained ear technique well developed over the years. I can say that the only genre worth playing is math rock or something experimental. Normie music is really fucked up and emotionless.
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0eZRADHUh22

Here's a really shitty recording of me playing the guitar. Original jam.
>>
Is 25 too late to start learning to play guitar?
>>
>tfw wanted to play piano at four years old but never stuck with it
>>
>>38054116
guitar is one of the easier instruments to pick up along with piano, you got this senpai,
just don't try to play any bowed instruments.
>>
I've played guitar, piano, some vocals since I was like 16. I'm in my 30s now. Fuck me.

I've done many cool things through the years but never really shined.
Made money in the music business in all matter of things.
Have like $100000 of gear.
Finally reached the equipment level I dreamed of when I was 19.

Now I don't do shit.
>>
>>38053600
You can do it, just pick it apart slowly. Break it down into parts, even just 1-5 notes at a time if you have to, and slowly practice that until you got it in muscle memory perfectly. Then move onto the next 1-5 notes then put it together.

Unless you're talking about some advanced picking techniques or something, but keep looking around, chances are some song you like isn't actually as complicated as it sounds, if not, just start off playing more basic songs. A common misconception is that harder songs automatically sound better and basic songs automatically sound worse. It's not true.

Try learning 'Dust in the Wind' it's a song that impresses people and looks hard but is actually a very basic chord progression and an almost completely consistent finger style pattern.
>>
>>38050041
27, jazz/prog (don't care too much for extremely technical sweeps though, more about soulful jazz improv), 15 years

favorite song is some shit by joe pass or alan holdsworth probably
>>
>>38055770
oh also i play guitar lel
>>
Is there any good guitar courses I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere even though I've been playing for 6 months
>>
>>38050041
20, been playing guitar for about a year and a half
also had some guitar lessons for like a year 6 or 7 years ago, but never practiced so got like nowhere with it
i've been told i've got pianist fingers, but also been told my hands are too small for piano.
any pianofriends got some kind of advice on this? i'd love to be able to play piano but i don't wanna waste money on something i won't be able to do
>>
>>38055942
/mu/ guitar & bass generals have unironically good stuff in the OPs, like suggested practice routines, music courses and shit.
>>
>>38055776

You sound like a massive tool. I'm guessing you have less than 5 friends.
>>
>>38056335
hey come on now, he might just be passionate about what he does, don't be mean
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 319x303px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 319x303px
>>38050041
Anyone else here play the accordion?
My grandpa passed his down to me when he got diagnosed with lung cancer. Thankfully, I was able to make him proud before he passed away.

I think my favorite song to play is the Tarantella Napoletana, it's the one song I can never forget how to play, and most people recognize the tune despite not knowing the name.
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s09NN84tZCTI
My hobby: this
>>
>>38056436
bonus points if you sing about pizza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4Z3iYAtRQ
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1SSEhFP7IH2
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0OkL4CIjt33

8, im bored
>>
Been playing guitar on and off for 14 years, just started piano 4 months ago, I am 28

Still shit at both but sorry getting better at piano as I'm sticking to it every day for the most part
>>
>>38050041
I'm learning how to compose and have made music but wouldn't know how to share it wuthout doxxing myself
>>
>>38057138
by creating 4chan-only original compositions
>>
I'm 20 and play guitar, bass and keyboard but in the last few years my skill has dulled somewhat cause I've been more focused in composition.
Lately I've been getting into music production. Beats playing instruments any day desu, but if I didn't know how to play I wouldn't know how to create in the first place.
>>
>>38057138
use clyp.it
it's like vocaroo but less shit
>>
File: bang wojak.jpg (444KB, 957x1118px) Image search: [Google]
bang wojak.jpg
444KB, 957x1118px
>>38050041
Where is that other music major anon I ran into once in a university thread last semester? I haven't been able to talk music major bullshit with anyone since that night, I feel so lonely.
>>
>>38056335
what makes you say that mudasir
>>
>>38050041
Im a piano teacher, only been playing for two years but around at level of 10-12 year player.
>>
>>38056645
>>38057531
>16
>16
Has it become the norm to not even try anymore? Or did the rules change at some point and I didn't notice?
>>
>19
>Bass
>3 years
>Tool, metallica, muse, dream theater, Rush
>>
>Be me
>Picked up electric guitar at 14, gave it up after 3 months
>At 18, sold my electric guitar and amp for hooker money (it was a Les Paul Jr)
>now at 20, bought a cheap acoustic guitar
>Learning slowly, but finally patient and mature enough to enjoy the process
>This time I'm learning guitar for ME, not just to get girls and money
>Already learned 3 songs

I think I finally have a reason to live
>>
>>38057598
At first i didnt really like band until i quickly realized that the people in it were like a family to me but i never really fell out of music or the people who taught it
>>
>>38050041
age 29
play guitar and piano and violin
violin since I was 9
piano since I was 14
guitar since I was 14
as for fav song, hard to round down to just one, my favs are always changing too
>>
>>38058035
His point is get off this board underage fag
>>
File: 1497972602427.jpg (320KB, 900x1046px) Image search: [Google]
1497972602427.jpg
320KB, 900x1046px
Im 21 and just picked up guitar on a whim. I've learned 4 songs in the past 2 or 3 months and have gotten pretty good at them. This is the first hobby in a while I've kept past 2 weeks. Feels good.
>>
>pretty good at guitar/bass/recording/mixing
>generally try to record at least one song a week
>posted a few to soundcloud a year or so ago for about a month or two
>stopped caring if other people hear them so i stoppped uploading

i've got a ton though. i've been playing guitar a little over 10 years. I don't like to do covers though and when people want to "jam" and just play other people's songs it just pisses me off.
>>
I play piano
I need to practice more
Feels bad man
>>
I want to learn how to play a guitar, preferably acoustic. What's a good guitar I can buy that's cheap, and what's a good way to start learning how to play? Is there a way I can start learning now before I buy the guitar?
>>
Ive played guitar since I was 11, and started producing at 14.
Now I've pretty much accomplished what I want to in producing, so I just have been focusing on guitar again. Ive played only a couple shows and don't like it, just because I hate attention, but planning on playing on the street one day. Ive done that before and it was nice because people can just walk by and it's not on a stage.
My electronic music was pretty well received though, but my listeners don't know who I am, so its cool. Gonna make more when I feel like it. Feels alright man.
>>
>>38059558
Oh yeah and I'm 23 now if that means anything.
>>38059317
Just go to a Guitar Center or local shop, or a pawn shop. Try something, and if it sounds good buy it. Dont spend more than $150. If you grab one at a pawn shop, go take it to a shop and get the strings replaced/set up properly. Nylon strings are good beginner strings because they don't hurt your fingers too much. Take care of the wood and polish it occasionally, otherwise it will lose its tone. This sounds like work, but it's kinda fun.
>>
>>38059631
>Nylon strings are good beginner strings because they don't hurt your fingers too much
yeah but if you're manly as fuck you could get a 12 string to toughen up your fingers quickly (and painfully)
>>
>>38060289
>not a bass or a double bass
>>
>26
>Play the guitar and harmonica
>Can play blues, jazz,funk
>Fav song: Mary Had A Little Lamb by Stevie Ray Vaughan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7umozIcIdY
>>
>>38050391
if he he wants roasties then rap and soundcloud stuff is his best bet lol
>>
>>38061745
but you don't strum a bass like a normal guitar you niBBer
>>
>>38058840
share your songs anon!
>>
>>38057731
Really glad for you anon
>>
>>38062346
Listen to more bassists mate, you can absolutely strum a bass with no issue whatsoever.
Besides fingerstyle and slap will build callouses much faster than strumming, the strings are thicker, and the tension is much more important than on a guitar.
>>
ive been playing bass since i was 14, played in lots of bands over the years. was actually good at something for once and consistently made all states and my schools top level jazz band. recently started learning piano on my shitty $100 toys r us keyboard
>>
File: 1486088220033.png (98KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
1486088220033.png
98KB, 612x491px
Why do you guys play?
>>
>>38064384
Originally for attention

Now because its stimulating
>>
I started playing the guitar about 4 years ago and I'm currently 19 years old. Most of the stuff I play are my own improvisations and compositions but I have learned a few songs in the beginning to get me started. Even though I don't play as nearly as much as I did when I was a teenager I still find it very meditating/satisfactory to pick up the guitar sometimes to just noodle around or practice a technique.
>>
>>38064384
i love the sound of folk guitar, i ll probably buy one and try to learn by myself
>>
We should start a band bros, who's with me?
>>
pls help
>too dumb to play any real songs
>only know like 12 chords
>"practice" by playing random notes and riffs in a single scale and putting it away after 20 minutes
>nothing I play actually sounds like music
>>
File: IMG_20170630_144710.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170630_144710.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I'm not a musical fag but I do commissions and draw art for albums

Pic related
>>
>>38064962
What genres do you like anon in order to suggest easy fun songs
>>38064980
Cool drawing, draw something related to rocket baum (tree) pls <3
>>
>>38065064
I like free jazz
>>
>>38065101
Jazz is delightful but i sometimes find it hard, do you tolerate classic rock or blues?
>>
>>38065147
not really, the closest is Sonny Sharrock's later stuff
>>
File: IMG_20170630_145705.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170630_145705.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>38065064
I don't know what that is can you show me a picture?

(posting art until thread dies)
>>
>>38065219
Ok, umm, do something psychedellic that involves a tree
>>38065204
Ok, so top three genres, 1.Jazz, 2.?, 3?
>>
File: IMG_20170630_150909.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170630_150909.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>38065273
That I can do give me a bit

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV8sIpwFLsJ/

The place I post most of my art if anyone cares
>>
>>38064384
creating things and improving on a skill is my fetish
>>
>>38050325
Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_F7aiOvdwE

Then again you need an expensive amp for this...
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.