[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/amateur-producers/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: fruity-loops.png (761KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
fruity-loops.png
761KB, 1024x1024px
I've seen some threads about this before here on /r9k/, so I'm curious. I tried making some beats a few months ago but didn't succeed because I didn't know where to start. I watched videos on youtube a lot but still couldn't figure out how to do it. I don't know anything about music theory.
If there is someone who has a little bit of experience who can help me get started and stuff, please leave an e-mail address or something and I will contact you.
I have a "wanna be" beat that I made back then, if you guys are interested in hearing it I will upload it somewhere.
>>
>>38032644

I've made a few hundred tracks in my life.
Some for professional reasons.
Some of those flopped because the artist sucked but it always looks bad if you can't polish the turd.

Worked with shitty local music for over 10 years.
And produced hundreds of my own which I don't care if they ever reach human ears.
>>
>>38032695

cont.
pretty much was my shitty career through life thus far. Ask away for my non interesting answers.
If I don't respond you took too long to ask and I went away to fap to traps.
>>
>>38032716
Is it worth learning? How much were you making? What genre were you producing? Where can I find some well explained tutorials?
>>
>>38032755
Not the anon you're talking to, but it's worth learning if you genuinely enjoy the idea of producing music.
You can try to make money from your music, but don't try to do music because you want to make money.
I learned most of what I know from trial and error, but I'm sure there are some good youtube playlists out there for beginners.
You will need to have your music theories fundies down though, or your tracks will be low-tier and it will show.
>>
I can make a video showing my process of making a beat if you want. I've only been producing for 2 or 3 months though
>>
>>38032755

At first about $80 a track. I charged cheap because my equipment was shit and it was only a few hours work so sounded reasonable at the time.
Though later I was offered like $300-500 near the end per music for background radio stuff. Really easy work. But again it was only a few times could not live off it.
Then I got severe depression and kind of slipped from the world and pretty much blew off the community.
Maybe it would of went farther.

I worked in live sound, music equipment repair, things like that. Generally only paying like $15 an hour tops.
Being for hire DJing pays pretty well but its a lot of work moving gear yourself if you want to keep all that money.

Again I only did this for small communities I don't live in a huge city. Rural places.
Even had small gigs of running sound for like speaking events. It pays alright its just moving gear and knowing how to set it up. Then sit there and make sure the mics don't feedback while they talk, and bla bla.

But you wanted to know about producing. I started with FL Studio and stayed there. I know people give it crap and for probably good reasons but it's what I'm use to. I still use it today.

Youtube probably has good FL Studio tutorials now. I never used them though I just fucked around with the program myself for a few years making crap.
Then eventually made better crap and now my music sounds like it should be in a real motion picture. Not to like toot my own horn I don't even try to market myself anymore. It's just a hobby now.

Do you have any actual music skills already? Cause that's where you would start if you don't.. You probably shouldn't consider producing until you understand a instrument. I can't think of any who at least don't play something even if its terrible playing. Cause once you get the basics your DAW will play it all for you as you input the notation and correct it to do what you want.

So yeah. Number 1. Know something about music?
>>
>>38032845
>>38032877
As I said in the OP, I have no knowledge on music theory or anything like that. But I like the idea of producing music.
>>38032873
That would be great.
>>
>>38032942

The actual music theory you will need to make music is not as complicated as music teachers make it out to be.
If you want a basic grap I suggest basic piano.
Just get a MIDI controller to go with your DAW ( fl studio, whatever ).
Then play around with it. Watch basic videos on how to play.

If you mean producer as in the guy who walks in the sound room and acts like he knows what he is talking about and tells the mixing engineer to drop the levels a bit on something.. that guy with a business suit. Then can't help you there. That be Music Business 101 stuff.
>>
Last beat I uploaded.

https://youtu.be/h3djE6iPPE4?list=PLUeBDIQmdBn_6xd1JKWwjmlE-SzfgWhjw
>>
File: 0000.jpg (32KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
0000.jpg
32KB, 320x320px
>been producing nearly 7 years
>still absolutely terrible
>not even 10 decent songs to my name
>it's the only thing I have even an ounce of passion for

>mfw I don't have what it takes to live a self-actualized and contented existence because I lack any talent in the only thing which might make me happy
>>
>>38033638
its because you made senseless sounds before learning music theory.
get a small piano and do it right
>>
>>38033219
I FUCKING LOVE THIS
THIS IS AMAZING
>>
>>38033638

>uuuuuuu its talent
>uuuuuuuuuuuuuu its not me

If you've only made 10 songs in 7 years, you don't have a passion for this, you're just fronting for some reason because you want to be le ebin creative musician meme.

Practice.
Challenge what you think is right or good.
>>
>>38033835
to be honest most people that start making beats don't know any music.
so they play stuff that's out of key or have high/low octaves,wrong pitches, weird time signatures etc.
you could say that electronic have no rules. but you have a major upstart if you do follow the rules
>>
>>38033219
this is good senpai
>>
File: 1489560661737.png (214KB, 500x296px) Image search: [Google]
1489560661737.png
214KB, 500x296px
I mean, the best thing I ever did was get a Maschine but if you don't want to pay money (I assume you pirated FL) then I'd go to reddit (just keep reading ok?) specifically, go to r/makinghiphop. They have contests for making beats (there's FTC, LFF, OKC, etc.) and have a wonderfully productive community of rappers and producers. Learn how to chop samples using Slicex and Edison and watch some Rhythm Roulette (9th Wonder is the best, look up other videos about him aside from RR there's a of knowledge to learn). If you have any questions just ask the people on there, they're really nice. If you ever want to make EDM, go to r/edmproduction because they're nice, too. Good luck!
>>
i aint no pro producer, but i been making sounds for a huge while now
the latest thing i put out was a short album with some depressing sounds i made, if theres any interest i'll post here(its all simple shit though)
>>
>>38032644
start making random patterns on FL until you like what you hear
>>
fl is cool to learn the ropes of a daw, but i urge you to make the transition to ableton soon
https://soundcloud.com/latebreeze/island-talk
>>
Someone teach me how to flesh out a melody or idea into a full song, I've been messing around for a while and I can't do a proper song
Any good reads on the subject? I can't play an instrument and I feel that's the big issue
>>
>>38035586
>i urge you to make the transition to ableton soon
why
>>
>>38035642
fl's workflow is limiting at times, sometimes feels like you are working against fl not with
>>
>>38035712
Wouldn't take this anons word for it, ableton is fine and all, but it's all a matter of taste. FL is fine in its own right too people like spor/feed me still use FL to this day. Put some research into DAWs before changing.

This is coming from a Jewbase user.
>>
>>38035743
oh yeah sure, fl is still a powerful tool. im just speaking from my own experience with fl. fl definitely helped me learn the basics of a daw
>>
>>38032644
[email protected]

I pretty much do only rap/trap beats, know quite a bit and still learning more.

Gotta finish another beat im making for a robro
>>
>>38032644
One of my latest beats btw if you care to hear what my stuff sounds like.
>>
>>38032644
fuck forgot link
https://soundcloud.com/occharacter/j-habb

One of my latest tracks. If there's anything on my sc you like just send it to my email which I linked a couple posts above, with the exception of secret society since that's been rapped over by Chad Marco (read: legend)
>>
>>38032644
Been producing for a year and a half and have been performing music since I was 10. Here's a discord if any of you fags wana get in contact
(Discord code:rXMpm.)
Mainly make drum and bass, but I have a fair amount of technical knowledge.
>>
I made music for like 10 years the last 'track' I made was track number 1177 (I used to autistically count each one), never got anywhere because I was making weird shit and I never showed anyone because I know its bad. I had a soundcloud but I haven't put anything on there for years and in the last few years my passion for making stuff has all but left me. I instead ended up running a mildly successful label with my musician friends which is a nice reminder of what I could have been, all the artists are great guys though I found a new passion in putting out vinyls and CDs and stuff.
>>
is it worth it to upload stuff to soundcloud? i had tried to some time ago but i ended up deleting the account, it felt kind of useless. plus i've had a terrible decrease of motivation for my hobbies and interests this last couple of years so i barely make new "tracks". still trying again with soundcloud could be nice? i could get a motivation boost out of it, maybe
>>
>tfw poverty composing
>>
OP here.

>>38035838
Sent you an e-mail.
>>38036160
Code expired.

I'll upload my attempt to making a beat to soundcloud and post a link here soon.
>>
the most important thing you can do is figure out how the mixer works and compression so you can emphasize sounds by making those stand out in the mix

if you're great at coming up with a song or beat or whatever it still won't matter if you're not good with the mixer
>>
>>38037080
OP here again, this is the thing I created.

https://soundcloud.com/candy-paint-68853204/scary
>>
File: i phone 023.jpg (19KB, 263x184px) Image search: [Google]
i phone 023.jpg
19KB, 263x184px
>>38032644
Hey OP, I made a shitty mixtape on Garageband for the lulz. Nothing happened, can't make any more beats, I want to start making Midwestern Punk or Funk type music but don't know how.

BANDCAMP:
https://christiantheonemanbandxd.bandcamp.com/releases

SOUNDCLOUD:
https://soundcloud.com/christian-is-here

I wanna be like The Front Bottoms or Modern Baseball, but like with an obvious Funkadelics/OutKast influence

Anyone wanna be friends, I can send you my discord,
>>
>>38035797
Sent you an e-mail.

>>38037080
>>38035838
Not to you, sorry.
>>
File: 1446060165893.jpg (186KB, 1000x1113px) Image search: [Google]
1446060165893.jpg
186KB, 1000x1113px
r9k producers discord boys?

maybe we could share samples and talk shit
>>
>>38037208
Anon, please make one. :)
>>
>>38037208
>>38037216

8CxnNxw
>>
>>38032644
Anyone here have experience with cubase?
>>
>>38037343
GET IN THE DISCORD YOU FAGGOTS

The musical memeing has begun!
>>
>>38032644
I gave up on producing ages ago and decided to concentrate on djing. I've got a gig on Saturday that I've practicing for
>>
>>38036789
it doesn't hurt but you will mostly just get spammed with likes and follows by bots trying to get you to buy likes and follows also your messages will be spammed by bots pretending to be women who want to fug your benis with sketchy links. but at least you'll have a convenient link to your music if you wanna show your friends/family some time.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/jason-ratterree/bone-zone-theme
>>
>>38032644
This gonna sound like
>just b urself
but just mess around with it and haven fun. I was playing with it when I was around 11 and got pretty good, but dropped it because of high school and haven't picked it up since. The more you force it the more work it becomes and the less you enjoy it.
I feel like this is my problem eith coding since I would love to just "play around" with android studio or something, but I know no coding and I have no mentor or anyone.
>>
>>38035632
break real songs into A, B and C sections and learn from them
>>
>>38036789
Its a great place to store your music and link to people so that you can share it and have your finished work contained on a page. But you wont get noticed unless you promote yourself, just like the other anon said; the spam is horrendous.
>>
>>38032644
I've been producing/djing for awhile now but only started a soundcloud about a year ago. I love making music, the thrill you get when youve been working on a track and everything starts to fit together just right and how it finally sounds is just too nice. And it always helps when people like your music too.

I want to reach a bigger audience but being the socially retarded fuck I am, I don't know how to network very well and don't play shows often. I always debate if I should just move to a bigger city or try to build a "scene" in my own town somehow.

With the few shows I have done though have been very prosperous and lucrative, I have my first festival gig in September and I'm hoping I can just build more shit from there.
>>
i just can't find any motivation to make music anymore. i open up fl studio, play around with my huge template a bit and then get bored and shut it down cause i can't make anything sound good. i don't know. maybe i've forced myself to do this for too long and failed too many times.
i still like playing the guitar though, i can just pick that up and come up with a riff or a melody and just jam around. it's way more immediate.
>>
File: track.png (381KB, 1776x1000px) Image search: [Google]
track.png
381KB, 1776x1000px
This is a track i made in like 1 hour or so.
What do you guys think.

https://soundcloud.com/kong-gys-official/beat-517/s-5tBDV
>>
>>38039758
i find that my best "seeds" for a song come from just picking up an instrument and messing around trying different chord combinations, riffs, etc. once i get something that seems like a decent idea i then go to the computer and build upon it. but i find that when i start off on the computer usually i just end up with garbage. it takes too long to build a melody or chord progression with mouse clicks so you just end up losing interest before you can build something good.
>>
>>38039809
repetitive as fuck. 1 hour is nothing, apply yourself. you need to mix it up more, either with completely different sections with different melodies and chords or at least change up the instrumentation and effects throughout or something.
>>
>>38033868
I have the opposite problem. I can play really well but I suck at songwriting. I freeze up and sperg out when I have to apply creative ptolonged thought, but I can improve endlessly no problem.
>>
>>38039846
i guess it's better to open up fl studio when you have an idea for something. though when i get ideas i usually just record them on the phone and then stop there. i never feel motivated to take it to the computer.
>>
I'm not sure /r9k/ is the best place for this, but it's nice to see people actually helping.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/user-341288199/dystopia

I made this back when I was really into synthwave. I don't feel it's quite finished yet (minor things such as the guitar background noise) and maybe I had to add some different melodies so it's less repetitive, but being a perfectionist only makes me procrastinate lel.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.