[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think one of the most striking differences between 4chan years

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 2

File: 1454167166029.jpg (63KB, 450x562px) Image search: [Google]
1454167166029.jpg
63KB, 450x562px
I think one of the most striking differences between 4chan years ago and today is the conception of self moderation. There used to be a much stronger idea that posters themselves were responsible for board quality and it was everyone's duty to be hostile to any encroachments made by the uninitiated. Seeing 'lurk more' for instance was common and now its all but gone. Of course part of the reason for this shift is from structural changes to the website itself and its relation to the rest of the internet at large. It used to be much more difficult for someone who literally just stumbled on the website to blend in, 4chan was something of an enigma for anyone who hadn't spent their due time learning the ropes and 3rd party resources to hold your hand were scarce. Even making a post could be baffling if you didn't know how to Noko. In short there were innumerable ways to trip up, reveal your newfaggotry, and be ridiculed which frankly intimidated a good number of posters.

Now, however, 4chan doesn't have that same level of impenetrability. On the contrary its incredibly porous with a great deal of cultural exchange to and from rest of the internet. One could easily blend in on almost any popular board by posting the exact same memes that are routinely found on the most mainstream websites in the world. The effect this had had on 4chan is obvious to anyone who has been here long enough to see it happen.

The end result of this exchange is that popular boards, including r9k, are no longer willing or able to self-moderate. I think invisible sages have had some degree of negative effect for this too. Despite moot's own narrow conception that "sages were not downvotes", they were useful for existing posters to exercise a degree of immunology on their boards by shaming undesirable posters and content. Deprived of all these tools and shunted in favor of increased visibility and convenience for new posters, existing posters can no longer act as guardians of their own boards.
>>
please get a hobby you autist
>>
>>37988772
Fuck off newfag

He makes some good points. The content here was a lot more raw even just two years ago
>>
>>37988743
>tfw it's not 2007 anymore
>>
>>37988743
>redd it spacing
Fucking nu-summerfags
>>
I often think about this. I miss old 4chan honestly
>>
File: IMG_1935.jpg (911KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1935.jpg
911KB, 3264x2448px
>>37988743
Delet this
I hate that image of that tard eating ramen
Remove this
>>
4chan was never good.
orignonlel
>>
Artist of OP's pic: http://kaneoyasachiko.deviantart.com/

The art is so fucking aesthetic, and weirdly nice looking, its hard to describe.
>>
It is literally moot's fault. He could have stopped this, but he wouldn't, he didn't, and now we pay the price. He destroyed the website in retribution for us destroying his life.
>>
Yeah invisible sages were definitely a downgrade.
It's not a "downvote" it's more like a "fuck you" button.
>>
Very good points
>>
I miss boards having their own identity. There are posters on /a/ who just post /tv/ memes and it feels like it just doesn't belong, but nobody can visibly sage, it's not accepted to spam dubs in garbage threads and the mods don't care because it doesn't technically break any rules to post "kino" memes.
>>
>>37989167
It's like 4chan is hurdling towards the same shallow, bland, commercial friendly, homogenized pile of shit that the rest of the internet has been morphed into.
>>
>>37988743
Everything unique about 4chan made it less useful as a propaganda vehicle and Stormfront couldn't allow that. /pol/ killed 4chan in more ways than one.
>>
>>37989329
Moot killed 4chan because the girl he orbited didnt like it.
/pol/ is the pissed off remnants
>>
tl;dr pre-social media internet was better. the normies came, conquered, and we're just here to churn out the occasional entertaining greentext story for people who don't have time to f5 threads but spend 6 hours of their day on reddit and wonder why they don't have any free time to do stuff
>>
>>37989288
My main complaint is "homogenized." I can read the same post on a dozen different boards; it feels like I'm just on 4chan instead of /a/ or /v/ or /tv/. Even though I am a crossboarder, it feels wrong to use greentext on /a/ if I'm not quoting someone. That's just how it used to be, but not anymore.

Random example >>>/a/158988813
>>
>>37989392
Try /jp/
They're pretty unphased by it.
>>
>>37989379
>website owner doesn't like us
>let's hate all minorities and parrot talking points from one specific website

It's nice to know I spent all these years with such smart, insightful people.
>>
>>37989416
>implying routine use of the word "nigger" and "faggot" didn't exist before /pol/ went nazi
>>
>>37989416

>actually thinks /pol/ takes all it's opinions from stormfront

I bet you think Pepe is a hate symbol too. Liberals are funny, and look man, I have a black gf and a gay dog.
>>
>>37989411
I am honestly not interested in /jp/ material. I do appreciate those boards that have remained somewhat hostile to obvious outsiders, or have preserved their culture. Boards like /jp/ and /k/ and to some extent /g/. Even /mu/ still manages to be enigmatic a lot of the time, although the general preference of the population has shifted recently.
>>
>>37989416
>Catch the owner getting cucked
>Turns out he's been trying to chase you off for years now
>Using mods to stifle discussion of certain things m'lady doesnt like
>Retards like you come around during that time
>Luggage lad is gone now
>Can talk about those things again
>>
>>37989478
>to some extent /g/
You must not use /g/ very much.
>>
>>37988743
Shut up and relax.
r9k is so good this summer compared to last mounths(full of traps and thots and whores)
i liked the no selfie doctorine.
dont worry for r9k or 4chan. its getting better. we are willing to contribute more.
because look "self moderation" ends up in circle jerking and hive minds. r9k has no hivemind today. cool
>>
>>37989500
Honestly, I mostly browse /dpt/. I feel that if you were an outsider to /g/, you would be very confused about things like "programming socks" and all the Pajeet jokes about Java. Perhaps the jokes are juvenile, but it's at least somewhat opaque to passerby's.

I really stopped browsing the board regularly when everything split into their self-contained generals (/tpg/ really requires a 24/7 thread?), so honestly I'm probably a bit out-of-bounds.
>>
>>37989488

>luggage lad

I remember this. Despite moot becoming a fag, it seems like it all went downhill after he left. Probably not caused by him leaving though desu. When GG was happening and cripple chan being created was the last time 4chan was good.

People would always say "4chan is shit now" in the past, but it's always been better than this. It doesn't have any creativity anymore.
>>
>>37989392
I agree except I don't think it's only 4chan boards that are blending together, it's also 4chan with the rest of the internet. Those flagrant crossposts could also easily be found on twitter, reddit and even facebook too.

I remember years ago when it was common to see threads where people posted screenshots of people using 4chan vernacular and memes on facebook to shame and laugh at them, now it's so common nobody cares.
>>
>>37989071
>Yeah invisible sages were definitely a downgrade.
>It's not a "downvote" it's more like a "fuck you" button.
And now what purpose do sages really serve? Can anyone claim that they really affect the site anymore? No, they don't do shit.
>>
>>37989539
You quite honestly don't have the perspective to know what you're talking about if you're looking at quality over 'months'.
>>
>>37989612
mounths yeah. i left the years for you. the mouths for me. quite being a judgemental piece of shit.
>>
>>37989598
I wonder if there's an academic studying this blend of Twitter/Reddit/4chan. When did they really converge? Was it the Katy Perry Pepe tweet and the resulting peepee poopoo? Gamergate? Black Twitter threads on /r9k/?

For me, the first meme that I remember thinking "this is kinda 4chan, kinda not" was ayy lmao. Obviously not the first non-4chan meme to spread here, but the first one where I really noticed where it blew up on 4chan sort of at the same time as other places.
>>
>>37989539
>>37989636
You are the exact person that OP is talking about who needs to lurk more

please shut up and lurk for several years before typing anything on this site again
>>
>>37989636
So shut the fuck up then. You have absolutely nothing of value to add to this conversation.
>>
>>37989636
>posting from a mobile
Kill yourself famicom
>>
>>37989653
>kinda not
How? ayy lmao is exactly the kind of mindless juvenile bullshit you'd see on /b/ back in 2006 and smirk at. The only difference is that some dipshits tried to force it on tumblr first.
>>
>>37989574
>it seems like it all went downhill after he left
Because the real users were given free reign again and now its business as usual.
Go back to wherever you came from.
>>
>>37989694
Because it didn't start on 4chan or have anything to do with 4chan and was only present on 4chan because crossposters transplanted it here straight from other websites?

Obviously 4chan has taken memes from other places before, Wojack famously started on Krautchan, but it wasn't just taken and spammed as is, it was made distinctly 4chan flavored in the way it was used. With things like "ayy lmao" there was nothing distinctly 4chan about it or how it was used. Whether it was posted on /v/ or twitter it was the exact same lame catchphrase with utterly no difference.
>>
>>37989694
It was the first meme where I consciously noticed people just posting Twitter screencaps; where that cross site posting wasn't just for mockery but where people just wanted to repost shit they had seen somewhere else. That's probably what oldfags thought of my posts at the time, now that I think about it.
>>
>>37989670 >>37989666
your moms, buttmad at the truth that this place is getting bettet. get off my face pieces of shit.
>>
>>37988743
fuck off gay threads are here to stay
>>
>>37989764
Your English is terrible
>>
>>37989416
>smart people
>/r9k/
>>
>>37988772

>legit good points explained well
>hurr autist

Fucking kill yourself you underage little shit.
>>
>>37988743
>intimidation
my ass, trapsposting and fagposting and faceposting didnt get intimedated you beta sodomite. do you want daddy to do the job for you , suck my dick.
all that did is disgust real robots.
btw this no faces rule is what r9k needed long time.
I ALWAYS SAGED FAGS AND TRAPS.
but no effect if it already reached 300 replies. FUCK YOUR BETA ASS. IF YOU DONT SAGE
1- FAG THREADS
2- THOT THREADS
3- TRAP THREADS
4- FEMALE THREADS
YOU ARE A GAY PUSSY ASS FAGGOT SLAVE TO THE NORMIE PLEBIAN SCUM WHO WILL FEED YOU DEGENERACY AND FAGGOTRY.
>he acts all jacked up in normal robot threads
>but becomes a silent beta orbiter pussy in fembot and trap threads.
thats why i left this place for 1 year.
really glad to see that no selfie rule. things will get better soon when you do your simple duty.
>>
>>37989636

Again. Tipical underage newfag mentality. You are cancer.
>>
>>37989802
Truth stands by my side. nuff said
*drops mic*
>>
>>37989895
mister you know it all,cry moar.
>>
>>37989890
Begone newfag. You have nothing worth saying.
>>
>>37989933
debatable. cry more. you still stingy and stuck up on my dick.
you are the faggot. maybe you have snapchat and orbit thots.
>>
>>37988743
suck my fucking dick
>>
Valid points, OP. By strict standards, I'm a newfag (been here since 2011), and even then I had to lurk for more than a year before I felt comfortable making my first post.

There was more originality back then too. /b/ for instance wasn't just constant spamming of trap threads, furry threads, (area code) slut threads, race-baiting threads, and YLYL.

After seeing some documentaries about the rise of Anonymous and the powerful counter-culture this place fostered before its downfall, I can't help but feel mournful and nostalgic for something I was too late to even really be a part of.

I think we're just gonna have to face the fact that 4chan is dead, or at least in its death throes. If only there were another site, more like how this one used to be.
>>
>>37989560
>>I really stopped browsing the board regularly when everything split into their self-contained generals (/tpg/ really requires a 24/7 thread?)
general threads are a reaction to the issues OP is talking about. Those all result from a community getting too large, too quickly. By splitting off major subgroups from a board into generals they can be kept small enough to retain at least some of their culture, and keep themselves alive in spite of large amounts of shitty threads.
>>
4chan isn't dead, just changing, like everything on earth does.
>>
Stopped reading at the first sentence, since day one 4chan was full of people seeing just how much they could push the envelope. The only difference is that 4chan is a lot more mainstream now than it was 10 years ago and I don't think the userbase has grown significantly I just think the older posters have been replaced by frogposting, politics-obsessed teenagers.
>>
>>37988772
4chan is my hobby you bitch
>>
Ultimately I think around 2012 there was a great divergence between the interests of 4chan and the interests of moot and the mods. For moot and the mods, bigger was better. They wanted more users, a more streamlined browsing experience that anyone could pick up in no time and a more comfortable environment for new users to keep them from being driven off even if they brought cancer.

They declawed the existing users of what little ability they had to control the quality of their favorite boards and even adding new rules to ban users who felt it was their duty to uphold a certain expected level of quality (no announcing sages/reports, no 'reddit boogeyman' posting). They wanted more visibility for 4chan and the new users that brings which meant cleaning up the image. For them, HITS was the only worthwhile metric of 4chan quality. They laid 4chan's quality down on the alter of page refreshes.

The quality of any image board depends on the ability of existing users to assimilate new users. Too many new users in too short a time makes it impossible for existing elements to quality control, they simply get drowned out as new posters bump and respond to other new posters and perpetuate poor content without any recourse by the existing users. Frankly, I think this exact scenario happened with r9k in 2014 when the robot was disabled and "rare pepes" became the "dankest meme" in a one two punch that attracted legions of new users who only knew r9k for its most visible shitposts, and to no one's surprised, focused primarily on posting that kind of content themselves.
>>
>>37988880
that's not reddit spacing shitbrains
>>
>>37990361
I'm sorry but you simply don't know what you're talking about if you think "self moderation" never existed just because it was never codified.
>>
Visible sage really needs to come back.
>>
>>37988880
Paragraphs are not reddit spacing cretin.

Reddit spacing is a line break between each sentence.

Like this.
>>
>>37990297
How long, if I may ask, have you been using 4chan regularly?
>>
This thread has given me a lot to think about.
>>
>>37990798

I've been here since 2004.
>>
>>37991581
do you think this "change" is good?
do you think 4chan now is better that it was years ago? are you implying that the increase of number of normies and the fact that people here don't care anymore about the quality of the board is normal? if not is it better?
>>
>>37991659

The thing is 4chan never really, ever, cared about "being 4chan"
Hence the slogan, "not your personal army"

Nobody serves to anything here, never have, so nothing has really changed in my mind.
It's neither better nor worse, just a different face with a different age, but going through all the same motions.

I think the real influence isn't "normies", but back then the internet was still a bit of a digital frontier and being on a list was a joke.
Now we're all actually on lists, and the only frontiers of the web are like the deep places of the ocean.
>>
>>37991659
The most valuable thing about 4chan has always been the ability to see people from completely different places, of radically different backgrounds, worldviews, mentalities and opinions to converge in one place and discuss anything and everything with no restrictions. Everything fun and good about the site, all the jokes, memes and memorable events, have merely been results of that interaction. It allowed for efficient concentration and distillation of the best, worst and weirdest of humanity, which could be experienced in a much shorter span of time than the time it would take to get that exposure through life experience irl. It was never about community or shared values. The only shared value was the expectation to see a shitstorm of conflicting values in every thread. The more 4chan or its elements became associated with certain values or ideas, the less vibrant and interesting it became.
>>
The introduction of the catalog has changed dynamics a lot. This is one board which I reckon would benefit from not having one.
>>
>>37991659
4chan was built by normies. All the good memes of 4chan are based on someone going out and doing crazy or interesting shit, and then that shit becoming packaged into text, image or video form. The others sat behind their pc and reposted them to shit until it became cringey and unfunny.
>>
>>37988772
>>37988880
>>37988935
>>37989056
>>37989379
>>37989539
>>37989670
>>37989636
>>37989933
>>37990297
>>37991581
>>37991778
4chan has become a parody of itself. Thanks to posters like these who haven't been here for long but feel the need to say things they think will make them blend in with the kewl 4chan crowd. The biggest difference between the old 4chan and the 4chan of today is that in the past nobody really took any of this shit seriously and where only here to have a good time
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.