[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Failed my PhD viva. Thats 6 years of my life and work down the

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Failed my PhD viva. Thats 6 years of my life and work down the fucking drain. This is the view from my office. You can't convince me to change ny mind. I have no future left.

So long robots it was fun while it lasted.
>>
fuck your phd, get a job
>>
How do you fail a PhD? What could you possibly have fucked up to fail 6 years of work. Explain
>>
>>37976642
its really easy to fail i dont know what you mean,
>>
>>37976536
What state? I want to see the news article
>>
You must get to try again right?
>>
>>37976739

Cambridge MA

It won't be in the news. They've covered up suicides before.
>>
You're going to survive that fall and end up worse.
>>
>>37976536

Theoretically they could kick you out for fucking up to some rediculous degree, but then they wouldn't get any more of your money, so I doubt they would actually do that to you.

Assuming this isn't some NEET LARPing about things they know nothing about, you already know that you just revise your shit like that asked you to do and quit bitching.
>>
>>37976903
Cambridge, MA is either MIT or Harvard. They pay the students stipends for living there. The 1st year they pay for your tuition outright, after that your research is what pays for the tuition. PhD programs can have acceptance rates of like 6 candidates out of 120 applications. They care much more about taking talent away from their competitors than they do your money. Your labor is what's important if you're there.

OP, can't you try again or something? Surely they don't expect you to start over or GTFO.
>>
File: 1446604381276.jpg (950KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1446604381276.jpg
950KB, 1920x1200px
>>37976980
They pay the PhD students, by the way. I don't think everybody gets a stipend there.

They also own what you discover/create during your time there
>>
>>37976536
Good luck with dying ;_;7
>>
>>37976536
You really want to be remembered as le depressed student meme?
>>
>>37977014
Long story short, OP, can you help me get into an MIT PhD program before you die?
>>
>>37976980

If he was actually in one of those programs then they still have no desire to outright fail him as it makes the people working with him look like complete idiots for letting him get as far as he without correcting his fuck ups.

If this happened at all he was asked to revise his shit and is too lazy to do it.
>>
>>37977036
Why does it matter what you're remembered as if you're dead? You're not going to see it anyway.
>>
a phd student failing a viva at harvard or MIT to point where 6 years of research has been wasted makes no sense. sorry.
>>
File: slugOrange.jpg (494KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
slugOrange.jpg
494KB, 1600x1200px
to all of you who laugh when we call STEM a meme, or college a meme:
this is what happens when real people realize they got memed.
never fall for the memes. be a NEET from day one and you're untouchable
>>
>>37977078
maybe he plagiarized really bad? dont see how an adviser wouldnt catch it before this point but who knows. dont know why im thinking so much about this stupid troll.
>>
>>37977095
>be a NEET and you're untouchable

Except for the part where you slowly start to lose your mind.

t. very experienced NEET
>>
>>37976536
How the fuck can you fail a phd viva? I thought they were pretty much just like an honorary type "celebration of how far you've come" thing
>>
>>37977078
I was being terribly specific. I had done a bunch of research about affording a PhD at MIT. It ended up surprising me because you didn't have to afford shit if you got accepted. I emailed them and they told me the 6/120 acceptance statistic.

I don't know anything about viva vocas. You're probably right.
>>
>>37976536
can anyone recognize this building?

someone look at harvards campus on Google maps, let's see what department he is in

Then we can see who had PhD defenses scheduled recently in that department and find out who is OP
>>
File: 1494438962696.jpg (40KB, 250x239px) Image search: [Google]
1494438962696.jpg
40KB, 250x239px
>>37976536

You know you shit your pants when you die, right?

It's how paramedics check if your really dead, by sticking two fingers down your pants.
>>
>>37977178
It's more like a final exam. I've been in a graduate level class where the final exam was worth 50% of the grade. They absolutely allow you to fail at the highest levels.
>>
>>37976536
just to clarify for people looking in Google maps, look for that design of sidewalk with the curvy shit
>>
>>37977083
Maybe OP won't suicide if they imagine what would happen afterwards, to family and friends and strangers.
Just trying to play on OP's pride.
>>
>>37977224
seriously doubt its MA. there are palm trees. not even sure its america, the license plates and car look foreign.
>>
File: 1497679882491.jpg (178KB, 761x960px) Image search: [Google]
1497679882491.jpg
178KB, 761x960px
>>37977393
It's quite obviously Brazil, this is a bait thread, and your a faget.
>>
>>37977210
I know it's bait but everyone knows you check the pulse + breathing
but the shitting is sort of true, I heard that when they were gassing the jews they always shat and vomited as they were dying
>>
>>37977053
Just be Asian

>source; Me
>>
>>37976536
Academia is a meme, so don't worry about working as a professor (it's a shitty work, anyways). I'm sure you learned things in these six years doing the PhD, so don't worry about having wasted your time: you didn't.

If you're doing a PhD, even if you failed, you're smarter than most of the population. So you'll find a way, I'm sure.
>>
>>37976879
Do you go to Harvard?
>>
How did you fail? Can you at least get a masters degree and find a jorb? Also usually phd's get a couple of chances to pass.
>>
>>37976536
JUMPING IS LITTERALY TE WORST POSSIBLE OPTION !
FUCKINGN HELL AT LEAST KYS IN A RIGHT WAY YOU FUCKING IDIOT !
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.