[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I go to a cheap lower end college or an expensive higher

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

File: 1498343576934.jpg (124KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1498343576934.jpg
124KB, 1280x720px
Should I go to a cheap lower end college or an expensive higher tier one?

The cheap college is pretty much a free ride since I'm poor and the financial aid is more than generous but it's not a particularly good school. The better one will mean getting loans and be in debt hell and I'd just be going for the name alone, it's ivy league though.

I plan on going to post-graduate school too. Should I go for free ride or go for the prestige? Does it really matter where you go?
>>
Go for the free ride. Once everything is said and done where you graduated from doesn't matter. No debt is a great place to be in.
>>
>>37973864
take interns, paid or unpaid while studying to have experience.
>>
>>37973864
If it's a legit Ive league, and you're the type of go getter that can probably get into a high competition field, then it be plenty worth it to get the prestige+debt.

If you think that just the prestige would get you a high paying job, you're probably not the person that would actually have to fortuitude to actually go out there into the world to earn a high paying job.

Also, what would you Major in? This would seriously help determine where you should go.
>>
Nice Reddit spacing you fucking faggot, fuck you. I'll answer your question anyway. Poor quality people attend poor quality schools. If you want to spend four years of your life with a bunch of fucking retards who have nothing in common with you, then by all means go for the free one. I made the same mistake you did. Went to community college, didn't even bother to take the SAT, I was concerned about cost, and price, but BOY do I regret it now. Spending the extra money is worth it. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES I DID.
>>
>>37973864
Tell us the two colleges you are considering
>>
>>37974155
When did grammar become a reddit thing?
>>
>>37974201
>Grammar
The stupid fucking OP spaced his sentences out like a Redditor. No, a grand total of two or three sentences does not equal a fucking paragraph. Paragraphs are around ten sentences long, not TWO. His post should have read like this instead:

>Should I go to a cheap lower end college or an expensive higher tier one? The cheap college is pretty much a free ride since I'm poor and the financial aid is more than generous but it's not a particularly good school. The better one will mean getting loans and be in debt hell and I'd just be going for the name alone, it's ivy league though. I plan on going to post-graduate school too. Should I go for free ride or go for the prestige? Does it really matter where you go?
>>
>>37973864
What shit tier ivy are you considering that doesn't give generous financial aid?
>>
>>37973864
These anons are retarded. It doesn't matter what college you go to, it matters what you majored in and your GPA. Don't get a worthless liberal arts degree. Furthermore don't just go to class and do your work and expect to get a job. That's not how it works now. Get internships, work experience, etc. GET A STEM DEGREE
>>
>>37973864
Ivy leagues are worth it, not for their education, but for their network. A lot of job openings in lucrative positions don't even advertise--they hire friends of friends. That alumni network might save your life some day too.
>>
>>37973864
>>37973911
>>37974004
>>37974167
>>37974267
>>37974280
TERRIBLE advice. Ivy League schools is literally a ticket to become an elite. Once they accept you Ivy League schools basically join the establishment. If you go into law you will become a Federal Judge, if you go into Finance you will become a wallstreet executive, if you go into engineering you'll end up with a construction company. Ivy League is literally the only good option for OP.

I also heard there's very little reading or writing in ivy league, it's mainly just attend class and party. So you'll have four years of partying with the elites which will be sick
>>
>>37974076
I want to go to medical school so I'll just do their pre-med program or major in Biology.

>>37974167
Columbia or a CUNY school like Hunter.

>>37974155
I don't even go to reddit man. Also what exactly didn't you like, the social aspect only? I'm not that social anyway.

>>37974267
It does give financial aid, it's just not enough to cover the whole thing like the CUNY schools would be which would pretty much set me up debt-free. I'll end up getting loans. It'll definitely lesser but it's there.
>>
>>37974372
Go to Columbia buddy
You won't regret it
>>
>>37974280
No you're the fucking retard. If OP has the potential to get into an Ivy League school he unquestionably has an IQ of 130 or more. If he attends a local state school he will be surrounded by average intelligence people, who will not be able to match up to him in any sort of way. He will never find friends that he can truly enjoy being with, and he will never find a girlfriend that isn't some retarded roastie whore. Everywhere he goes he will be surrounded by mediocre people who will make him feel detached and out of place, and he WILL be.

>It doesn't matter what college you go to, not your GPA
What a bunch of fucking retardation. Let's say a guy comes in looking for a job, he wants to be a Junior developer at Microsoft or something. Do you hire the guy who has a 4.0 from South Dakota State, or the guy with a 3.0 from MIT? Use your fucking brain.

>>37974372
Have you not actually been accepted to these places? If you haven't been accepted then this thread is retarded.
>>
>>37974372
Wait, did you get good high-school grades? That's really all that matters for med-school because many people had shit highschool grades, took the pre-med and then didn't get into med school due to highschool grades.
>>
>>37974455
This is the most autistic shit I've ever read

No, med schools don't give a shit about high school grades

Obviously OP has good grades, he got into Columbia
>>
>>37974342
That used to be true, but I know a lot of ivy league graduates now who are having trouble getting a career. It's more and more about who you know now. If you're an antisocial NEET while in ivy, then you're not gonna fare very well coming out.
>>
>>37974448
Bush got in and his IQ was 126
>>
>>37974448
Yes I got into them.

>>37974455
Of course I did man.
>>
>>37974468
I am taking a pre-rec for law and due to my high-school marks i know when i get out no law school will accept me.
>>
>>37974448
Actually, only about 30% of all people admitted to an ivy league school are because of academic merit. Another 15% or so are for sports. Yet another 15% are legacy students who get in because their family has been going to that school for generations.

The other 40% get in because of diversity. The school wants people of all walks of life to congregate, and admit people based on having had interesting life experiences, so they can bring fresh points of view to the table.
>>
>>37974506
Where are your sources for this information?
>>37974475
Source?
>>
Forums.studentdoctor.net

Ask there. Mcdonaldscucks don't know how to get into med school.
>>
>>37974536
http://uspp.csbsju.edu/bush/bush-iq-myth.html
>>
>>37974536
My husband does Princeton University admissions.
>>
>>37974506
nice myth i never got into any unis off legacy
>>
>>37974623
How much does your family donate per year?
>>
>>37974636
0 dollars and 0 cents and 0 sub-pennies. Tuition is high enough
>>
>>37974584
This doesn't say anywhere what Bush's IQ is, it just reports on a hoax. First of all, estimations aren't actual scores. Second of all, even if your claim was true, 126 is still 4 points away from 130 and there is functionally no difference. Lastly, that is just one person and does nothing to counter my main claim that OP would be surrounded by idiots in a lower tier school and would fit in better at an Ivy League institution.

>>37974589
Oh is that so? All of my friends are actually in charge of the admissions of Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc and they say you're wrong. Actually, I must confess, I'm in charge of admissions for Brown.
>>
>>37973864
Nothing you will learn in college will be of use in the actual job, it's just about buying a degree. According to the law all diplomas are equal. Employers will still be prejudiced against no-name colleges though. It's to sift out the scum.
>>
>>37974669
You just siad that people in community college were very smart as well, just not ivy league smart But in all seirousness Ivy League scohols are where the rich go regardless of intelligence
>>
>>37974670
They normally only check those of the scum though.
>>
>>37973864
If its programming related you just need any kind of diploma for a job anyway.
>>
>>37973864
prestige if your degree matters alot.
If you have plans of making money without too much help from your degree then pick the free school
>>
>>37974693
>You just siad that people in community college were very smart as well,
Where did I say this?
>>
>>37974714
> If he attends a local state school he will be surrounded by average intelligence people

and...

>Everywhere he goes he will be surrounded by mediocre people
>>
>>37974650
Precisely. Legacy families are considered legacy because they donate every year. If you don't donate as an alumni, then your kids actually have less of a chance of being admitted than someone not coming from an alumni family.

After all, a fresh kid might donate in the future. Someone who comes from a family who doesn't donate probably won't either.
>>
>>37974729
Average and mediocre does not equal very smart.
>>
>>37974752
Well they certainly aren't idiots like you said

>>37974712
>getting money without a degree
LOL
>>
Fellow medschool anon here, it doesn't matter where you go. All that matters is your GPA, your MCAT and your ECs. Your college is completely irrelevant so go for the free ride. I'm in the same class as people that went to ivy league and community college just the same, it does not matter.

Also medical school is heavily heavily biased towards women and minorities, if you're either of those things then don't even fucking sweat it. Either way, just get good grades and you'll be fine.
>>
>>37974237
Autism

I dont want to be muted fampai
>>
Fucking college fags and your medschools and your stem shit. I wish I could be into stuff that actually makes money but here I am into international relations and politics studying at a state school on track to be a fucking walmart employee for my whole life.
>>
>>37974895
I'm thinking about doing medschool, do they look at your highschool marks, does your pre-rec matter and does Sicilian count as a minority?
>>
>>37975063
Not him but Sicilian does not count as a minority
>>
>>37975003
why didn't you study SCIENCE
>>
>>37975099
Actually I am studying political SCIENCE
>>
>>37975099
Because you have to be a certain ((religion)) to study science
>>
>>37975153
Don't you mean to study (((finance)))?
>>
>>37975176
No, science. You aren't allowed to study that normally.
>>
>>37975130
yeah nice try.

>>37975153
no.
>>37975201
no

>>37975176
yes
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.