[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Shakespeare's Othello nothing more than a thinly

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0774.jpg (52KB, 343x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0774.jpg
52KB, 343x500px
Was Shakespeare's Othello nothing more than a thinly veiled BLACKED thread?
>>
>>37971626
Most if not all of Shakespare's work was mocking the nobility/wealthy people who at that time were too stupid too realize they were making fun at. Quite a bit of it was the equivalent of a gossip column on magazine, which is kind of interesting.
>>
The opening scene is roasting Desdemona's father, telling him that his daughter is getting BLACKED at that moment.
>>
that guy is in blackface I've seen the movi
>>
>>37971889
Oh no shit
>>
File: MoorishAmbassador_to_Elizabeth_I.jpg (220KB, 772x1024px) Image search: [Google]
MoorishAmbassador_to_Elizabeth_I.jpg
220KB, 772x1024px
>>37971626
Othello became black somewhere in 1st part of XIX-th century. In the original script he was a Moor but his race was never stated. The guy who is believed to be the inspiration was an ambassador, somewhat a friend of Shakespeare (see attached image).

Moors were Arabs who lived more or less where currently Morroco is. At some point they conquered the whole Iberian penisula thus the influence on european culture. They were and still are dark-skinned Arabs of caucasian descend. If I remember correctly, English theaters started starring black actors in Shakespeare adaptations somewhere between XIX and XX century to boost up ticket sales.
>>
>>37971997
I believe Europeans referred to blacks as Moors too though, didn't they?
>>
>>37972020
"Moors are not a distinct or self-defined people, and mainstream scholars observed in 1911 that "The term 'Moors' has no real ethnological value." Medieval and early modern Europeans variously applied the name to Arabs, North African Berbers, and Muslim Europeans. The term has also been used in Europe in a broader, somewhat derogatory sense to refer to Muslims in general, especially those of Arab or Berber descent, whether living in Spain or North Africa"

It's the other way around, Moors were sometimes refered to as "blacks" since they were darker than an average non-hispanic european but they were not black in the conteporary understanding of the word. It's a bit like Americans refering to Hispanic people as non-white. In general as described above a Moor was almost an equvalent of Arab or Muslim. I reckon the latter to be slightly less accurate since Othello was written post-Ottoman expansion so the term Turks or Ottomans should be already known at least to some extent.
>>
>>37971626
Yes and Puccini's Madama Butterfly was about yellow fever.
>>
>>37971626
Desdemona pays the toll pretty fucking hard for burning the coal.
Pretty accurate depiction of interracial relationships- all of her family abandon her, he beats her, he kills her.
>>
>>37972593
He only killed her because the whitebois were jealous
>>
>>37972729
>being such a dumb nigger that you'll kill your wife because some weird faggot tells you to and because she misplaces some rag your mammy made
>>
>>37972133
I was told moor meant half Spanish half black, but youu seem much more smarter than me desu
>>
File: IMG_0779.jpg (357KB, 1150x1132px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0779.jpg
357KB, 1150x1132px
>>37972133
Ehh. They called these statuettes "blackamoors". Or is a blackamoor different from a regular moor?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.