[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does r9k read at all? Favorite books? I'm going to the public

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

Does r9k read at all? Favorite books? I'm going to the public library tomorrow and would appreciate some recommendations. I have a short attention span because I'm dumb so I'd prefer something that isn't too slow.

pic unrelated
>>
>2017
>reading
(someone aleady said these thoughts and i've been muted for 2 seconds)
>>
>>37964355
I'm a bored NEET and I want to do something more "productive" with my time as of right now rather than just playing video games all day.
>>
>>37964401
Kurt Vonnegut is really good, smart but easy to read. Slaughterhouse Five is the classic, but Cats Cradle is nice if you're super cynical about religion. Mark Twain is pretty easy to read too, and his short stories are noce. And your library might even have manga if you're a weeb.
>>
>>37964401
I never understood this mindset of reading being a productive way of entertaining yourself vs video games/watching television. There's nothing productive going on unless you're reading nonfiction.
>>
I read a fair bit and I'm trying to read more. I can only speak for myself, but I find that reading focuses my mind and satisfies me. More or less the opposite of what the internet seems to do. I read more non-fiction than fiction, but still enjoy novels and short stories. I'm currently reading "Coming Apart" by Charles Murray.

Tell me what kind of stuff you like and I'll make a recommendation for you if I know of anything relevant.
>>
>>37964711
>Kurt Vonnegut
Hey man, thanks for the reply. Anything specific by him I should start with?
>And your library might even have manga if you're a weeb.
Yeah they do but I'm not into that kinda stuff
>>37964793
I used to read as a kid, even though I haven't as an adult. I'd still say reading challenges you more than just sitting down and mindlessly playing a game and tuning out to the world. Also I'm poor and can't afford/play many games.
>>
>>37964793
stimulates and exercises the imagination better than any other consumer activity
vidya and tv are comparative mind bondage for the most part
>>
Treasure Island
The Prisoner of Zenda
Nada the lily
Montezuma's Daughter
The Parker series by Richard Stark
The name of the game is death
>>
>>37964824
>Tell me what kind of stuff you like and I'll make a recommendation for you if I know of anything relevant.
Well I like science fiction games so I thought i'd like sci-fi books too but idk. I was recommended Isaac Asimov because he was an important author in the genre but honestly I wasn't really immersed in the two books I read of his. I like paranormal/occult stuff but I'm not sure how interesting it'd be to read about.
>>
i just go to the library, pull out a random book and read the flap or first few pages then decide whether to keep it.
Stephen King is great and easy to read, he's probably my favorite author.
>>
>>37964793
I disagree with that quite a bit. Fiction can give you things to think about in a capacity that far exceeds what any video game can do. Even if a book isn't giving you facts it can still give you something to consider. Be that philosophical questions, potential future outcomes of current trends, or a new understanding of how people other than you experience life. I've never experienced anything like that in any truly meaningful way from a video game, and I don't find that very surprising. A video game can gesture towards any of these things in broad strokes but it isn't a very effective medium of communicating any of them in any degree of detail, sophistication, or nuance. Maybe it can provide an initial seed of though to consider these things, but it can't develop them.
>>
First Blood by David Morrell
Swag by Elmore Leonard
>>
>>37964917
If you have a short attention span I'd suggest trying an anthology of short stories in the genre. A classic is "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury. The stories are tens of pages long and are often beautifully and poignantly written.
>>
>>37964917
Check out ,"The stars my destination. "
>>
>>37964922
>>37964959
Another great collection of short stories, but of the paranormal and occult variety, is "The Necronomicon" by Lovecraft.
>>
>>37964833
Like i said, Slaughterhouse Five or Cat's Cradle if you're interested. Slaughterhouse Five is weirder, Cat's Cradle is more straightforward.
>>
>>37964959
>>37964983
I'll try to look for those specifically because I think I could digest a short story collection easily.
>Lovecraft
I've heard Lovecraft's writing style is challenging for new readers. Is this true?
>>37964965
Noted. ty. I plan on only checking out one or two books on my first visit but I'll keep every rec in mind for the future
>>
>>37964999
My bad, I thought those books you listed were bya different author. I got confused.
>>
>>37965059
I wouldn't say that Lovecraft is super challenging, but it's probably harder than average. He uses a very broad vocabulary, describes complicated and abstract concepts, and enjoys writing very long sentences.
>>
>>37964793
television/video-games have confirmed negative effects on intelligence.

I only read non-fiction myself.
>>
YO NIGGA

READ NEUROMANCER
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.