[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is counseling a meme? I feel like I'm to my very end, and

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Counseling_MA.jpg (69KB, 850x465px) Image search: [Google]
Counseling_MA.jpg
69KB, 850x465px
Is counseling a meme? I feel like I'm to my very end, and that I need help. Can any peace actually be achieved for me or should I not waste my time?
>>
>>37915552

It's absolutely a waste of time and money. They don't try to help you find solutions to problems, they tell you that your problems aren't real.
>>
>>37915552
just go for the counseling if you're at the very end it can't hurt to try it righT?
>>
>>37915567
Are you saying this from experience?
>>
It works for some people. No one here can tell you how it'll work for you. If you have a real desire to seek help however, I think you've got a chance. Go into it with an open mind and drop your preconceptions, if at all possible.

Good luck anon.
>>
>>37915697
Thanks anon I think I'll give it a try
>>
Are you actually willing to be 100% honest about every aspect of your life?

If you aren't willing to say, explain what /r9k/ is and what you get out of coming here, chances are you won't be successful. If they ask you what you do on an average day or night you can't just say "nothing". The vast majority of issues people have with counseling or therapy is that they aren't honest, so they expect the person to just read their minds or somehow know how to help someone who is sitting there mumbling one word responses to their probing. And because they're inherently damaged people who seriously fucking need help, they make all the wrong assumptions about why their therapy is failing.
>>
>>37915975
I've already thought about that and I know I have to be honest about my problems. I just think it's time for me to get help because I obviously can't do it myself
>>
>>37915688

Yes. It is a normie optimism cult. Any negative thought is assumed to be wrong. Any negative belief about your life, if it can't be easily changed, is wrong or unimportant. It's all about telling you that your "negative self-talk" is wrong and that you have value, even if you're a worthless, irreparable loser.
If you're like me, you will be angry that people even suggested this to you as "help".
>>
You can get some free Internet counseling at >>>/adv/
>>
>>37916036
Well if I go and it seems to be working, are they going to put me on meds? Do the meds even work?
>>
give up, you have already missed out and it wasn't worth it in the first place
>>
>>37916103

Yes. They are going to put you on meds because it makes their job much easier to deal with you. I'm also talking from experience.
>>
It's shit. You just pay someone a lot of money to judge you.
>>
>>37915975

If he's honest about how he feels, and says something abnormal, they'll just act like judgmental assholes and tell him that his beliefs are irrational.
>>
>>37916188
Are the meds effective? The main reason I don't want to see a counselor or take meds is because I feel like my family and others are going to think of me differently.
>>
>>37916103
Dont listen to that guy man. Too much negativity in him. Personally, therapy doesnt work for me but when im a little too close to the edge it works exactly how it should. If you have a mindset of it wont work then its not gonna. Keeping an open mind and actually considering what they say can work wonders. Also theyre not gonna suggest medicine unless they think thats the last hope. My therapist only suggested anti depressants until i had self harmed badly enough to warrant a hospital visit and admitted to a plan to off myself. Theyre not drug dealers theyre people who went to college to get a degree. Medicine is a tool for when all other treatments fail.
>>
>>37916393
I'll take it into consideration. I know I need to keep an open mind.
>>
>>37916271
Would you rather them think of you as someone who's getting help for their problems or them think wow that guy should have seeked help before he offed himself. Most people would rather have a family member on medicine as opposed to a family member who took their own life.
>>
>>37916457
Maybe you're right. I don't have much to lose at this point anyways
>>
>>37916454
In all honestly as well, if i had listened to my doctor and took the meds i was prescribed i wouldnt be here posting on this sad ass board. Id be actually living my life but instead i said i dont need help and dont need meds and 6 years later all i wish is i had listened no matter how hard it seemed to be
>>
>>37915552
Most counseling is a meme, and most therapists are terriable.
The only counseling that helps is skill based shit. Like ones that actully teach you social skills or practical coping skills, thought reworking. It sounds dumb but it works, I went to thepsists for 10 years before I found a practical one. All the ones before just wanted me to talk about mah feelings. A paid friend. While a friend is nice, even a paid one, eases the burden, it doen't help long run. My last one actully got out of the office with me and walked with me into stores to help me with my anxiety of asking for job apps/talking to people. Taught me muscle/self talk relaxation skills you practice and get better at to sleep better, fixed my retarded selftalk thought patterns. And so much more, Look for cognitive behavioral therapy, with focus on the behavioral part, and if they want to talk a lot about your childhood, get the fuck out of there.
it is not that your childhood didn't effect you gravely, it is just that talking about it doesn't help much.
>>
>>37916036
This guy is partly right. depression is a natural response to a shitty environment. especially if you live at home still, there is only so much you can change just with 'attitude'. What I wrote here >>37916916
Still applies though, but part of the focus will be getting a better environment/life, not just 'think happy thoughts', which like I said, a lot of bad therapists will do, even the CBTs.
Pills are bullshit, they always wear off and you have to change them, because your brain WILL revert to it's natural state with the same thought patterns and environment over time.
Vigorous regular exercise actully works better than pills most of the pill, the pills are just 'lol easier"
>>
>>37915552
It can be if you can find a good one, I'd give it a shot
>>
>>37915552
see
>>37917311

Counselors are just people and their approach to your situation will vary wildly depending on their training and personal beliefs. Counselors and therapists can be extremely useful or completely worthless and you may need to visit a few before you find someone you like.

Most of the people in this thread telling you no probably went to see one person, were told something they didn't like, and never went to counseling again. It won't hurt to try it yourself and see if it helps you. Remember that it can often be difficult if not impossible to accurately see your problems from inside your own head. One of the most important things a good therapist can do is give you a trained perspective on your problems.

My only advice to you is to make sure your therapist is a man, but you should know that already.
>>
>>37915552
Depends how fucked up you are
I find a weekly visit to my therapist is sufficient to let off the pressure i create inside myself introversion. He can see things from a different perspective that I might overlook.
Often he'll take notes when I talk about my situation, and he'll be able to map out the disconnect I have with feelings
>>
File: Vidya vs Depression.png (34KB, 638x582px) Image search: [Google]
Vidya vs Depression.png
34KB, 638x582px
>>37915975
>Are you actually willing to be 100% honest about every aspect of your life?
WARNING: DO NOT BE HONEST ABOUT YOUR SUICIDAL THOUGHTS. Unless you're comfortable with being forcefully detained for a few weeks, then let out with a $13,000 medical bill. And if anyone doubts the "few weeks" part, look up stories of how psych ward patients were detained for far longer then they needed to. There was actually a recent lawsuit from that. Psych wards value profit over everything. All that matters is profit, i.e. keeping you as long as possible. Don't trust anything related to the medical system, it's all for profit.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.