[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question for religious people on here: How do you reconcile

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: view-christianity-hp.jpg (54KB, 352x245px) Image search: [Google]
view-christianity-hp.jpg
54KB, 352x245px
Serious question for religious people on here:

How do you reconcile your faith with the fact that your holy texts go against scientific discovery/contain historical inaccuracies? I wager most believers in this group are smart enough to not be Christian fundamentalists or apologists (trying to prove Christianity through reason), and also smart enough to acknowledge that young-Earth creationism is bogus. I can acknowledge that religion for someone can be more personal than absolute.

Still, my question is: how do you reconcile this? The Bible contradicts itself in a few areas (Judas's death, to name one, but let's not dwell on that), so what exactly is meant by the statement, "The Bible is the inspired word of God"?

Again this is a serious inquiry not meant to provoke or insult anyone. I myself have had developing views over the past year and have moved from atheism to agnostic theism. I can fully appreciate what faith does for some people. I'm just genuinely curious. Thanks
>>
>>37867337
Religion works with faith
It doesn't mean anything if you can prove it with logic
>>
what about muh intelligent design
>>
Simple. We regard the Bible's contents seriously, but not literally.
>>
One shouldn't read the bible literally, it was never meant to be read that way.
>>
>>37867345

What's your opinion of those types of atheists who ostensibly think all religious people are stupid because religion is "irrational"? Do you think they miss the entire point of faith?
>>
Science is just the devil and Jew tricks to trying to convince me that reality is real.
>>
>>37867337
they way I look at it is this:

2 Timothy 3:16-17 says

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

I take this to mean that scripture only declares itself to be 100% true in matters related to "righteousness". I.e. it's only true in so far as it teaches us how to relate to god.

the science stuff doesn't bother me, because as far as I care, the stories that contradict science still provide lessons on righteousness that are true insofar as they illustrate religious and moral truth.
>>
File: Jesus-refugee.jpg (63KB, 715x543px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus-refugee.jpg
63KB, 715x543px
A follow-up question: why do you hold onto your faith? What utility does it offer that you believe is lacking in an irreligious worldview?

Pic entirely unrelated
>>
>>37867337
The bible, torah, quaran etc. was all written by men not by God. Think of them more as guidelines than actual rule books
>>
>>37867337
you trust the media and popular science to tell you that god is not real yet you don't trust them to tell you that their are 100 genders and marijuana comes in needle form.
why?
>>
>>37868228

I believe in God and only 2 genders lol
>>
Christian here. As someone that is naturally very skeptical, I've put a lot of thought into my religion and have had many periods of doubt. The best decision I have made for learning more was taking an honors New Testament class in my freshman year of college. We went through the history and significance of every single book, from Matthew to Revelation. Viewing the modern Bible as a compilation of the most "inspired" texts written is what I have chosen to do. I do not believe that every word of the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God, as it was still written by several different men through several different time periods. I have come to realize that my definition of faith is as follows: Allowing doubt in an uncertain fact, yet continuing to follow that fact. The doubt itself IS faith, I think. By allowing yourself to acknowledge the fact that there is a possibility that what you believe is false, you are showing that you have faith in whatever it is that you believe. Sorry that this is really jumbled. I just felt like responding and I hope that anyone that wants to ask questions will! I'll be glad to answer as best as I can, though I'm still very young and have a big possibility for error.
>>
>>37867337
i don't subscribe to any particular religion.
all i believe is that introspection is the one true path to salvation
understand yourself
be true to yourself
do what you truly believe is right at your innermost self
>>
Christ-cucks and Mohammed-cucks are my natural enemies due to my nature.
So what should I think about bastards who wish for my death?
>>
>>37868228
One is science and one is not?
>>
Who cares how long it "really" took God to create the Earth or whether or not the man descended from apes? I don't give a damn really.

What I really want to know is how to cope with life. There is fuck all science can teach me about this. Trying to substitute religion with science is like eating soup with a fork.

By the way I'm an atheist because this is how I was raised.
>>
there's no great revelation in a meme thread on /r9k/.

you're some kind of thought police "just making sure".
>>
>>37869254
>I only ever talk to people when I expect great revelations
>>
>>37869254
what? chill dude no thought police here, I swear!
>>
>>37867337
It's less of so called "Contradictions with science" and more of "it's completely impossible for something to come from nothing". I'm fine with becoming atheist if they can accurately solve this within my lifetime ofc
>>
Muslim here. I take most written stuff metaphorically.
>>
>>37867337
>holy texts go against scientific discovery/contain historical inaccuracies

They don't.
>>
File: SalvationPepe.jpg (74KB, 720x511px) Image search: [Google]
SalvationPepe.jpg
74KB, 720x511px
Look at the enemies of God (normies) and you will know the truth
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.