[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fucking hell, lads. Nothing's safe it seems. >We've

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (37KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 400x400px
Fucking hell, lads. Nothing's safe it seems.

>We've known since last year that Sonequa Martin-Green (Sasha from "The Walking Dead") would fly into space as the lead of the new "Star Trek: Discovery" series. On Monday, CBS officially welcomed the actress on board the starship and also revealed her character's name: First Officer Michael Burnham.

>The name "Michael" is an intriguing choice. Is Michael a more common woman's name in the future? Could the character possibly be transgender? Star Trek fans are discussing the name on social media and Reddit, but it's all speculation until we learn more about the role.

Other recent casting announcements include Harry Potter's Jason Isaacs as Discovery Captain Lorca and Rainn Wilson from "The Office" as Harry Mudd, a con artist introduced in the original 1960s Star Trek series.

I have a lot of love for Star Trek I can look over the fact that the main character is a black woman but why the fuck do they always have to pander to "that" crowd, over yonder? I just know they're going to make a big deal of how "fluid" gender is in the future and how "it' doesn't have any meaning to us anymore". Let's hope they keep her feminine and sexy, but anything can happen.

As a hardcore Trek fan, I'll give it a chance by keeping an open mind. So far it's not looking good, and I don't think they actually comprehend what made Star Trek, in all it's ups and downs, actually good.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZqOdsRoKU

When it comes to Discovery, Garak may be right to defend the Star Trek legacy.
>>
File: 1491682098723.png (17KB, 338x339px) Image search: [Google]
1491682098723.png
17KB, 338x339px
>>37743258
>"Star Trek: Discovery"
what
whahtkljhdkasjfhndlasj
?!?!
new star trek series ?????!?!???
you're not trolling are you?
>>
>>37743537

No, but don't get too hyped, it's not looking too good.
>>
File: 1333898078797.jpg (116KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1333898078797.jpg
116KB, 800x800px
Star Trek has always been touchy feely. TOS was progressive for having a black woman and Russian just hanging about during the civil rights movement/Cold War, TNG had a therapist sit right next to the captain and they brought kids and shit along with them. Even stuff like DS9 made "muh 6 gorillion" part of the setting.
>>
>>37744684
Well I remember the last time the series got rebooted it bombed pretty bad. If I rewatch TNG(or film)/Voyager/DS9 I just want a new series again. I can't get into the TOS reboot movies they're just so boring compared to TNG films.
>>
>>37743258
they always do this, it fails spectacularly, and worst of all, movie execs think that people have no interest in the idea. No, people just dont want to see a baboon in a role thats the lead
>>
File: shinky.jpg (8KB, 192x300px) Image search: [Google]
shinky.jpg
8KB, 192x300px
>>37743258
If you were a hardcore fan you would;ve known that Start Trek has always been liberal.
Start Trek TOS had a Jap, a Russian, A scottish, a useful nonsterotypical black woman kissing the white captain. Federation proided basic needs for free to each citizen and everyone was equal.
>>
>>37743258
There have been black female captains in star trek before. I remember an episode where Picard met with some other captains in a secret meeting. One of them was a black lady
>>
>>37745159
>>37745303
>>37745317
Rekt
Also I can't complain, she's fucking hot desu. But lol @ the black Bachelorette with a gaptooth.
>>
>>37745355
>tooth gaps on blk women arent g-d tier qt
Wow how can somebody be so
>tfw none of girls ive dated had gaps
>>
File: happywojak.png (10KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
happywojak.png
10KB, 645x773px
>>37743258
sweet kek

A new Star Trek series
It's been so long, and Enterprise was so shit,

I don't know if I'm ready to love again desu.

I'll try
>>
michelle
original!
>>
>>37743258
This is literally what Star Trek is about, Mr. hardcore Trek fan
>>
>Star Trek progressively liberal

HOLY SHIT WHAT A SHOCK OP!

Maybe watch a show other than multicultural communists in space if you want to watch straight white people going down to the soda fountain for a drink and a dance.
>>
>>37743258
Is it just me or does she look exactly like Megan Kelly but black?
>>
>>37745303
>>37745355
>>37745317
>>37746264

You are all, of course, correct. It's not the fact that I have some sort of issue with Star Trek -esque liberal values and cast diversity, or that I'm somehow bigoted against women or black people, but I would be lying if I wasn't a tad concerned the trend in today's television being what it is.

Did they really choose her, because she's the best for the role? Could someone done better, but she got the role due to her race? Or is there something else at play in the backround, like a real-world agenda? How will she fit in with the other captains (commander in this case)? Will she come to her own? Does she identify as a woman in the first place? If not, and her character's central conflict stems from that, doesn't it sound a tad boring, and maybe forced to you?

Star Trek was never about appearances, this is true. But what Star Trek never lacked was good, well written characters with actors so iconic and perfect in their roles I tend to think of those people as their characters first, and their real-world-counterparts second. And I don't think I'm the only one. But today's movie -and television being what it is, is it wrong to be a little bit skeptical? Sometimes it feels like characters are written backwards these days, their attributes coming first secondary to their personalities and actual role in the story, and in their own arcs.

Let's think of Sulu. In ToS, he was a relatively minor character, but grew into the role and even got a bit of a story. Not too deep, but good for a supporting role.

Now think of the new Sulu, in the Rebooted Movies. Relatively minor again, as he was never that important, but what can you tell me about him?

>He's gay and is good at swords.

I really can't think of anything else.
So, you see, it's not that I'm worried because she's black and possibly trans. It's the fact that she may end up having no other depth than that, which concerns me.

Am I making any sense?
>>
>>37746328

True, but I think you'll understand better what my concern stems from if you read my reply here:

>>3774714
>>
>>37745481

Enterprise waa good up until S3 when they blew it by having a season-long-overarching plot in the only series since ToS that was calling to be purely episodic in nature.

I wanted to see the Wild West of the Alpha Quadrant but what we got instead was a new villain species in a prequel so it had no tension, and a time-travel plot that was so autistic I can't even fathom what they were thinking.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.