[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The life of an individual is short and miserable. In the grand

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1478451725039.jpg (275KB, 505x700px) Image search: [Google]
1478451725039.jpg
275KB, 505x700px
The life of an individual is short and miserable. In the grand scheme of things, we exist for barely an instant, accomplish barely anything, and (assuming a good deal of infamy and success) are forgotten in a couple of generations. We barely have the strength to overcome our own temptations, and set against the world we're like a leaf blowing in the wind. For this reason, people throughout history have attached themselves to different causes, movements, and ideologies. Be it the purely material object of their family and town, or more abstract things like their race, nation, or various political movements.
>>
Globalization, the economic destruction of small scale economies, and an internet which removes the individual from their racial/national/etc. context (for example, right now "I" have no ethnicity, I'm simply a body of text without a physical body attached to it), has caused an equal and opposite reaction, which we are now experiencing through Trump and Obama, through BLM, through the alt right and left, and through the daily which hunts we see in the newspapers. Various political institutions (not to be confused with political ideologies) have cynically started using this for their own benefit as well, hand crafting certain identities and creating demographics to fulfill their own will to power. Specifically, the rise in transexuals and people who identify chiefly by some form of queer identity, and the push against any questioning of these new forms of identity.

These forces, which forces people into an ideological cage of "selfhood", which in fact sublimates various individual impulses and the human condition in general into politically motivated identities and defines that as the authentic individual, are actively seeking to destroy concepts like individuality, universalism, freedom, and radical notions of selfhood. Both the left and the right have started to dismantle these concepts, from different viewpoints but to the same ends.
>>
Okay, so what? What's your point?
>>
>>37742158
My humble suggestion is we take up the cause of the Janissaries. These elite Turkish warriors were taken as slaves from all corners of the empire, brought together not because of a common identity, but by the want of one (in Islamic law it's illegal to enslave Muslims, so the credentials for becoming a Janissary was that very lack of belonging to the dominant political block). After being castrated and trained as soldiers, they enjoyed an incredible amount of prestige as elite soldiers and a central pillar of Ottoman society. Not being able to have children, separated from their parents, and without a common background, they made due with being a Janissary. Through this shared experience as cogs of the state, without hope for the future, permanent outsiders of the society they served, they found meaning in their lives through the fraternity of their shared experiences. They were the elites of the Ottoman empire, part of a community that didn't define itself by shared heritage or a common future, but by their existence as a community completely situated within the time frame of their lives.

This elitism, otherness, and infertility is (in my opinion) the perfect response to the populist, identity focused, and disgustingly productive zeitgeist sweeping the Anglosphere right now.
>>
>The life of an individual is short and miserable.
My life hasn't been miserable, there's your counter example.
> In the grand scheme of things, we exist for barely an instant, accomplish barely anything
Your fault for using a shitty frame of reference, nobody is forcing you to look at the world that way. Using our own frame of reference we've accomplished quite a lot. Take the internet for example, are you telling me that's not an accomplishment?
>are forgotten in a couple of generations
Except you know, Socrates, Jesus, Caesar, etc?
>We barely have the strength to overcome our own temptations
Not everyone is as weak willed as you are.
>and set against the world we're like a leaf blowing in the wind.
We've managed to become more or less immune to the elements, only succumbing to natural disasters.
>For this reason, people throughout history have attached themselves to different causes, movements, and ideologies.
What? You haven't demonstrated this at all. Not everyone shares your retarded worldview. I attach myself to things for purely functional reasons.

You're dumb.
>>
>>37742268
Sounds stupid. Enjoy being overrun by a bunch of low IQ barbarians.
>>
>>37742334
Not OP, but are you an atheist by any chance?
>>
>>37742268
>new refugee initiative: the Janissary Program
>allow all immigrants to come to America, so long as they pass a simple vetting against those with active terrorist ties, dangerous mental illness, etc.
>American military is actually very beneficial for society; the Army/Navy/etc. really does improve most men both socially and professionally, and since we're not in a state of total war (and thus don't need an army as large as it can possibly get) Janissaries are not needed for the military
>instead, Janissaries serve on oil rigs, coal mines, etc. - dangerous, high-death but also high-pay jobs
I don't know, maybe it's stupid, but it's a thought. How many Mexican't and towelheads do you think we'd get if we allowed them free citizenship under condition of sterilisation and hard labor until retirement age?
>>
>>37742671
I may as well be an atheist.
>>
>>37742778
>I may as well be an atheist.
Doesn't really answer my question.
>>
>>37742802
Yes I guess that I am. If I am forced to choose.
>>
>>37742118
Nice Copy N Paste Faggot.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.