[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw was depressed, always wanting things I can't have

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (178KB, 1000x696px) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg
178KB, 1000x696px
>tfw was depressed, always wanting things I can't have
>embraced stoicism
>now perfectly content

So why aren't you a stoic yet?
>>
>>37730579
Cus im not a faggot
>>
>>37730579
I used to be stoic but then a girl hugged me and now I desperately want a gf. How do I go back to being freely content spending all of my day playing vidya alone in my basement?
>>
>>37730579

got any good sources so I can read up on this stuff? I'd do just about anything if it would help my depression at this point.
>>
stoicism doesn't really tell you what to do with your life

in a caste system your life is pretty set forward and then it's expedient to not desire anything but to do what you're told, however in a free society you have to choose constantly what you're going to do and what you can do and more then not you just end up a loser anyway.
>>
>>37731186
you're not depressed you're just lazy

boom stoicism.

pussy
>>
Buddhism is more useful since it actually offers techniques and is more fully fleshed out in general.
>>
>>37731226

oh well never mind then lol
>>
>>37731230
when alexander the great invaded india the greeks didn't know what a yogi was so they just thought they were some branch of stoic philosophers
>>
>>37731230
but buddhism has all that religious mumbo jumbo attached to it
>>
>>37731551
Not really. Secular Buddhism is a thing. East Asian Buddhism generally doesn't take things like reincarnation literally.
>>
File: 1494350994678.png (334KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494350994678.png
334KB, 720x720px
>>37731252
Don't mind that illiterate brainlet. Read "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius.
>>
Because stoicism also primes you to deliberately endure shitty situations for no good reason.

You get the feeling that you have to keep pushing through, when in reality problems dissappear when you stop trying to solve them and move onto something else.
Like staying with your psycho wife instead of just getting a divorce.

https://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2016/12/solving-problems-blaming-others/

Why was Seneca rich if he didn't cared about money? He crossed mentally possessions from his mind, but he still pursued them, he still chased and worked for more. But the modern version of stoicism is more like "learn to live in the mud" instead of don't get attached.
>>
>>37732204
The point isn't that you should stick with something that sucks, it's that you shouldn't expect to feel better if the situation changes.

None of these things advocate inaction. It's more that you should question the motivations for what you're doing. Do something because it's intrinsically a good thing to do, not because you anticipate getting satisfaction from it.
>>
>>37732344
>Do something because it's intrinsically a good thing to do, not because you anticipate getting satisfaction from it.

Sounds like being a cuck. Letting the bull fuck your wife is good because you can't please her enough, right?
>>
>>37732411
Are you being retarded on purpose or something?
>>
File: tumblr_nv49ytBKYs1tvjjruo1_500.gif (1MB, 411x231px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nv49ytBKYs1tvjjruo1_500.gif
1MB, 411x231px
>>37730579
>fell for the stoicism meme
its a time bomb untill you realise how big of a coping mechanism it is
>>
>>37731257
But Alexander predates Zeno of Citium.
>>
>>37732868
It's not like you've got anything better to offer.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.