[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As the image says. Lets say..from your 15 year old self. For

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13

As the image says.

Lets say..from your 15 year old self. For some of us thats half a lifetime ago, for others itll be half a decade ago, that seems reasonable.
>>
>>37721872
Aerospace engineer. I dropped out of 10th grade
>>
>>37721882
>Aerospace engineer. I dropped out of 10th grade
And what do you do now?
>>
File: 1346621377084.jpg (139KB, 560x336px) Image search: [Google]
1346621377084.jpg
139KB, 560x336px
I wanted to be an infantryman ever since I was 13. I couldn't because of medical reasons though.
>>
>>37721872
I never really knew what I wanted to be, except at least a writer on the side of whatever career I got.
I still write, but I'm a faggot ass NEET, and have been for 4 years.
>>
File: 1479187438451.jpg (5KB, 209x250px) Image search: [Google]
1479187438451.jpg
5KB, 209x250px
>I wanted to make robots.
>I now sit in my room 20 hours a day, staring at a computer screen.
>>
File: tfw too intelligent to come down.png (205KB, 3340x3176px) Image search: [Google]
tfw too intelligent to come down.png
205KB, 3340x3176px
>>37721991
I'm an aerospace engineer. I was to smart for school.
>>
>>37722108
At least you spend that time with robots.
>>
I wanted to be a scientist of some kind.

I got my PhD and published a few papers. But now I'm an appalling failure.
>>
>>37721872
I really wanted to be a combat medic or firefighter.

Sadly, neither came true due to medical reasons.

But now I'm working a comfy analyst job with good pay.
>>
>Astronaut
Damn you nasa

Family kept trying to make me an air traffic controller, which is an oddly specific job to force onto a 10 year old
>>
>>37722111
Good to hear.

>>37722072
What medical reasons

>>37722086
Have you released any of your writing

>>37722108
You successfully made a robot. Yourself. Congratulations, youve achieved your goal.

>>37722140
All of these statements dont make sense. If you published papers, how are you not a researcher, therefore a scientist? And if youve been published, how can you be an appalling failure?

>>37722151
>due to medical reasons
what reasons

>>37722158
its little known how much money those people make. my uncle was one, he made a lot of money. he also went completely mental after an air traffic accident occurred.
>>
File: 1478739648720.jpg (47KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
1478739648720.jpg
47KB, 645x968px
>>37722111
Why does he wear the basket?

>Wanted: Hokage.
>Became: Biotechnology lab tech

Fuck my dick into the sun, brother
>>
>>37722158
those guys have extremely high suicide rates, be glad you didn't. That job is one the most stressful in the world, fuck up, and 100s die.
>>
>>37721991
Get bullied by roasties from high school when I try to orbit them mostly. Their vaginas are why they feel valuable, and they'll never not feel empty inside, no matter how many fingers fit, but I could never actually say that.
>>
>>37722186
no, never released anything, these days kind of just write for myself, outside a few greentext stories on /mlp/ haven't put anything out to the public.
>>
Biologist. Just got my masters degree and am about to start my PhD at a top school in my field.

Still a virgin though..
>>
>>37721872
I wanted to be a kid forever. All the adults say to enjoy it as long as possible because being an adult was fucking horrible. Well I listened to them, but they didn't really want me to be a kid forever. So I'm an engineer.
>>
>>37722193
>Why does he wear the basket?
For he is the basket.

>Hokage
Fuckin weeb.

>>37722195
>those guys have extremely high suicide rates
Extremely true.

>>37722198
>Get bullied by roasties from high school when I try to orbit them mostly.
Good, you orbiting faggot. Youre the reason this place sucks.

>>37722217
>stories on /mlp/
Are you an MTF trans.

>>37722237
>Biologist
>Still a virgin though
Holy fuck dude the pick up lines just write themselves.

>>37722252
>I wanted to be a kid forever
Why? Being a kid meant being in my parents house, being yelled at all the time for doing the things I wanted to do.
>>
>>37722186
>What medical reasons

Pilonidal sinus. I had a surgery on my ass that never healed fully. The area is numb and it hurts to do sit ups, so I could never pass a physical.
>>
Psychologist because TV shows made it look cool.
Currently in teacher training for university level, not for psychology. Media & Culture. Didn't even end up touching psychology.
>>
>>37722186
>All of these statements dont make sense. If you published papers, how are you not a researcher, therefore a scientist? And if youve been published, how can you be an appalling failure?

After I finished grad school, I was unable to get a postdoc. I couldn't get an industry job related to my research, either. I'm now stuck in a job totally unrelated to my experience and dissertation topic. And it's a job that affords me no opportunities to do publishable research. So unless I make a real career change, my scientific career is over. And the longer I stay here, the bigger the gap in my CV becomes.
>>
>>37721872
My entire life everyone told me I was going to be huge. I was going to be a famous artist.

I did it. I don't know how much of it had anything to do with my actual art but here I am. I created a fucking movement.

I am legend.
>>
>>37722252
I was the opposite. I always wanted to be an adult. Now I want to be a kid
>>
>>37722263
ha no, just a guy that can't let go of the past. I was around before /mlp/ and I made a vow to be there when it dies. As autistic as it is, its my home, and I'm loyal to it, even though its a shadow of what it once was, they're still family.
>>
>>37722263
>Why? Being a kid meant being in my parents house, being yelled at all the time for doing the things I wanted to do.
Well maybe you had some troubling "wants". Being a kid to me is fucking around on the Playstation all day. Roaming around the neighborhood finding odd things to do with my cousins. Walking across the city to hang out with friends I hadn't seen in a while. Making thermite and burning shit. Doing a improve play in my underwear for some black lady sitting in a car across the street. And drinking a fuck ton of soda and running around until I was dizzy without gaining a pound.
>>
>>37722279
>Didn't even end up touching psychology
This is interesting. I too wanted to do it at uni. Ended up doing IT.

>>37722285
>I was unable to get a postdoc
Why?

>>37722291
Details.

>>37722295
Thats every single kid/adult ever. Grass is greener etc.

>>37722302
I used to work with a guy who would spend all day writing up mlp fanfics on his work computer. He never did any work, ever, because his mum was a manager, and just wrote and wrote and wrote. Something like 300 chapters of this mlp fanfic. Back in 2012, this was. I saw him/her/zim/ze the other month, and its transitioning into a wooman.
>>
>>37722349
>Well maybe you had some troubling "wants
>fucking around on the Playstation all day
Nope, just like yours. But I was always told thats too much of that, stop playing so much fucking pokemon, blah blah.
>>
>>37722369
I suppose they wanted you to get a job, get married, and have children too. What kikes. My parents were similar, but I did spend a lot of time outside if I had someone to play with. Now I don't, so I get "get a job" a lot. And of course I can't move out until I get a job. It's just not helpful.
>>
File: 12892776014_1818e56558_b.jpg (593KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
12892776014_1818e56558_b.jpg
593KB, 1024x768px
Growing up all I wanted was to be a snake charmer (you know someone who plays music to make snakes dance)

I was obsessed with it. I read hundreds of books about snakes, learnt to play the flute etc

Then on my 13th birthday after years of planning my parents bought me a pet Milk Snake. I was excited as fuck to charm it and make it dance so I spent the next few weeks playing music to it, but it didn't react.

I got mad as fuck and sellotaped it to the wall and made it look at books of snake charming with pictures in then put it back in its cage. It still wouldn't dance so I basically let it starve to death.

Now I work as a cleaner at a two star hotel. Also I forgot to play the flute.
>>
>>37722457
That was an unexpected read from start to finish.
>>
>>37722357
>Why?

At the time, I had no first author publications. The ones I have now were not published until long after I graduated. I didn't have a great working relationship with my advisor because I'm you're typical awkward robot.

And said advisor was entirely worthless when I was job/postdoc searching. Which is somewhat unusual.
>>
>>37722537
So why not try again?
>>
>>37722620
I plan to. I'm just not optimistic. Such positions are quite competitive.

My dream job is to be a staff scientist at the sort of particle accelerator I worked at as a grad student. But that seems as unrealistic as wanting to be an astronaut.
>>
I wanted to be a fighter pilot as a kid.

I ended up not pursuing it because the military lifestyle is not for me. Also I have some medical issues I'm pretty sure would disqualify me

>inb4 little miss sunshine gif
>>
>>37721872
i wanted to be a knight

then i found out that the Queen no longer does that thing except for singing celebrities

then it turned to vidya developer

then i went practical. Electrician

now im nothing
>>
i wanted a minimum wage job that can keep me afloat and just getting high on the weekend

it happened.
>>
File: dceb6c9d8.jpg (29KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
dceb6c9d8.jpg
29KB, 500x484px
>>37721872
an astronaut
i got a chronic debilitating illness and am disqualified
>>
File: 1471051146443.jpg (95KB, 400x319px) Image search: [Google]
1471051146443.jpg
95KB, 400x319px
>wanting to go into a particular career
>not just having a vague vision of being a cooool mysterious billionaire who calls out his former bullies on talk shows and lives alone in a mansion playing videogames all day
Can you normies please get off my board?
>>
I didn't want to be fat.

It came true, didn't fix my problems though.
>>
File: Barron's Revenge.jpg (37KB, 614x685px) Image search: [Google]
Barron's Revenge.jpg
37KB, 614x685px
>>37722457
never before in my life have i read on the internet something so uniquely odd.
>>
hockey player, green beret, guitarist in folk metal band, pianist, kung fu master, chinese translator, manga artist, video game music compositor, video game designer, cthulhu church priest...
>i get bored with everything and too poor to afford practicing some of these things
>no talent
>>
>>37722851
now i just want to go to school for the rest of my life, at least that way i don't have to admit ill never live my dreams.
>>
I always had grandiose dreams and aspirations that never came true because they were unrealistic goals born from episodes of hypomania. My failure to accomplish any of these compulsive desires serves as fuel to just hate myself even more when I fall into a depressive bout. Maybe I will succeed at something if I try and/or live long enough to see any of it come to fruition. Should I accomplish nothing then I will merely succeed at dying, and get the rest I need from this soul crushing yearning to do something great.
>>
>>37721872
An artist

Still grinding but hope is dwindling
>>
>15
>want to kill myself and everyone I know
>5 years later
>love life and people as a secluded loner, observing the world and learning to becone as wise as I am able

What happened there.
>>
i wanted to be a scientist
thinking about it makes me sad. i work at walmart
>>
>>37722974
you accepted reality
>>
>>37721872
>dead
>not yet
>working on it
>>
File: image.jpg (196KB, 944x686px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196KB, 944x686px
>>37723107
I am reality
>>
All I ever wanted was a group of close friends I could grow old together with. So far I've stumbled my way into four of them. Being a social pariah was way more draining than it looked as a kid and now I can't say no to doing shit with them because I don't want to become a friendless loser like I was as a child.
>>
>>37722765
>I wanted to be a fighter pilot as a kid.
A childhood of being fed top gun made me want the same.

I am obese, short sighted and colour blind. I never stood a chance.

>>37722794
>then it turned to vidya developer
Actually me too. I remember trying to make a few things in game maker 6; a pokemon/worms/guitar hero mashup, a yu-gi-oh game, and some other shit.

>>37722808
are you happy?

>>37722901
>now i just want to go to school for the rest of my life
Professional students are fine goals. its not for me though.

>>37722857
fuck you, faggot.

>>37722863
not fat is good.

>>37722891
some of those i too shared, others are extremely unique..

>>37722922
>I always had grandiose dreams and aspirations
Yes, what were they?

>>37722938
being on that grind is better than giving up.

>>37722974
yay, good for you to be happy

>>37723003
i dont even think scientist is a real job tbqh, much like i wanted to be an inventor at one point

>>37723246
so youre on your way to the goal?
>>
>>37723273
>are you happy?
absolutely not. im mentally ill from drug abuse
>>
>>37721872
i can't remember if i ever had a dream or career i wanted. heh
>>
When I was 15 I wanted to be dead. So yes, but only on the inside.
>>
>>37723273
No dude, I'm well and beyond my original goal. I've got over 20 different people I hang out with on a regular basis . The problem is that I cannot physically handle all of the social activities I've made my life revolve around, but I'm still too scared to lose anyone because of how I remember what life was like before. I'm a robot living what should be a Chad's life.
>>
>>37721872
I didn't want to be anything. I could never think about the future. I can't plan ahead nor I can remember but a few weeks.

It is like walking through a foggy forest where I can only see a few meters around me.

I work in retail doing the same thing every day.
>>
>>37722263
>Good, you orbiting faggot. Youre the reason this place sucks.

REEEEEEEEE NORMIE GO
>>
>>37723619
>orbits
>calls others normies

mate youre the fucking normal here. the fact you can even talk to her and be close enough to her to be able to orbit her? youre the normie, norman.
>>
At 15 I genuinely didn't want to do anything. I just wanted to sit in my room, listen to music, masturbate and play World of Warcraft all day. I didn't pay any attention to my future because I was such a nihilistic, cynical, edgelord that I didn't care about future career prospects. I did enough work in school to get decent grades so as not to incur the wrath of my parents, but beyond that I had zero intention of going to college or learning a skill or bettering myself in any capacity.

I genuinely just wanted any bullshit job that would provide me with enough income to live on my own, and would require the least amount of effort and social interaction from me possible.
>>
>>37723672
and whats your life like now, former edgy wow dude?
>>
>>37721872
>I wanted to be a philosopher
Well im unemployed and wonder about a number of things, including my continued existence. Maybe if I wear my bedsheets more ill feel better at least in a classical sense.
>>
>>37721872
Wanted to be in the military just because I had no passions and wanted something to make me feel important, I got the interview, I took an aptitude test and was gonna be a fighter pilot but I had literally just left a mental ward and when they found out it was instant dismissal of my application. That was a couple of years ago, kinda glad I didn't I like not being pushed around and having the freedom to do what I want.
>>
>>37723760
Significantly less edgy in comparison but still not great in relation to most other adults. I've got one friend, and I'm not even sure if he counts because he's my roommate, and nothing really going on. I still enjoy being by myself, and I actually prefer to do a lot of shit on my own most people consider social activities, like video games or going to the movies or going for hikes.

The problem is how bored I am. I'm not lonely, but I wish I had more interesting things to do.
>>
When I was 4 I decided I wanted to become a programmer, create my own software company and make a lot of money and cool stuff.

Now I'm 27, and the free software movement fucked up my perspective on selling software, so I've been programming for the past 17 years but on free software and open source projects, and I'm fairly poor.

The upside is I'm waaaay cooler than I thought I'd become when I was 4.
>>
>>37723807
>having the freedom to do what I want.
you also could have been a fucking fighter pilot.

>>37723838
take up a musical instrument.

>>37723891
>I was 4
FOUR. When you were FOUR, you decided you were going to do these things.

When I was four I wanted to be a power ranger and a dinosaur.
>>
>>37723916
I've been playing guitar for the better part of a decade now, I'm teaching myself bass and piano as well.

There's only so much fun you can have when its just you sitting in your room jamming. I also don't feel super inclined to go out and meet new people to play with and I'm not even sure how I'd start.
>>
>>37724029
Oh fuck, its been a while since Ive gotten any new gear, but I just googled band jammiing pedal,

and i think im going to get myself one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4484J3JhYGY
>>
>>37723916
I was a very precocious child, I started using computers when I was 2 years old.
>>
>>37724084
>I started using computers when I was 2 years old.
i might have started using a plastic toilet when i was 2
>>
>>37724122
Yeah, when I was 2 I had the mental age of a 4 years old, and when I was 4 I had the mental age of an 8 years old.

I got tested for that shit because I suffered an atypical epilepsy so I was constantly checked by neurologists and psychologists.

Life was hard being unable to relate to my peers throughout my life, but hey, could have been worse.
>>
>>37724188
so did you take your big smarts and get a phd at the age of 16?
>>
>>37724261
No, I dropped out of high school because it was boring and annoying. I preferred to stay home to work on my own projects than waste 8 hours a day sitting in a class room filled with normies.

I did pass all high school years by going to school just to take tests, but the final year had a presence requirement to actually get a diploma so I told them they could go fuck themselves and dropped out.

Personally I also dislike academia, I just like to build things, so that's what I do.
>>
>>37724313
>I just like to build things
you got a githuib to show us some shit?
>>
>>37724340
I do have a GitHub, but I don't like linking it on 4chan, just search for "OpalGate" and look for the autist.
>>
>>37724375
>but I don't like linking it on 4chan
makes sense.

what sort of shit you work on?
>>
File: IMG_0802.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0802.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Wanted to be a marine biologist or paleontologist.

Now studying to be an archeologist and hopefully a phd in classical history. I guess I've always like old and mysterious shit.

Pic of a silver brooch? I found metal detecting.
>>
>>37724422
Mostly libraries, tooling and network stuff, right now I'm working on a network packet parser/builder library so I can work on a network tunnel thingy to get a secure connection behind misconfigured firewalls and steal internet while behind misconfigured hotpsots (i.e. airports, where you get few hours for free and then you have to pay, every single airport I've been to has allowed DNS queries while unauthenticated, so a DNS tunnel lets you steal some internet, some also allowed ICMP while unauthenticated, and an ICMP tunnel lets you get the full bandwidth).
>>
>>37724432
>phd in classical history
what exactly is classical history? do you study warfare, politics, architect?

>>37724454
so building a vpn/ipsec tunnel that bypasses timed/data limit locks?
>>
>priest
I'm not really religious anymore but damn if I still don't respect priests in general
>>
>>37724476
Nope, not data limits or timed shit, just works around hotsposts/firewalls by using other protocols than TCP/UDP.

There are various tools for the various protocols, but the pain in the ass is they're all separate projects.

There's iodine for DNS tunnels, and there are many ICMP tunnels, but since they're separate you need to configure them all and then try them one after the other to check which one is the best.

My thing will just be one executable that sets up various kinds of tunnels, and then the client probes the server to find the best performing tunnel and uses it.
>>
>>37724517
>other protocols than TCP/UDP
>ICMP
No fuckin shit eh? I thought ICMP was part of TCP. Hmmmmm so I would imagine this isnt something very frequently patched up eh?

Time to probe some shit
>>
>>37724550
>No fuckin shit eh? I thought ICMP was part of TCP.

Usually VPNs are implemented only using UDP, because TCP over TCP tends to be awful, and there's no need to try and work around shit since you're supposedly using them on your own networks, that's why I clarified

>Hmmmmm so I would imagine this isnt something very frequently patched up eh?

Just go to a McDonald's, connect to their access point and do not log into the hot spot. Try to ping somewhere, you'll see it still goes through, try connect via TCP to some port, you'll see it doesn't. If it's configured a little better ICMP won't go through either, but try a DNS query and you'll see that go through.
>>
>>37724600
Thats a real neat idea dude. Im gonna fuck around with this.
>>
>>37721872

A serial killer

Not yet..
>>
>>37721872
Kind of. I'm studying to become a teacher, just finished my first year.
>>
>>37721872
Dead. Sadly it did not.
>>
>>37725205
>I'm studying to become a teacher
that sounds like bad times.

>>37725119
>A serial killer
fair enough dude. manson lover?
>>
>>37725417
>that sounds like bad times.
Not really, I'm getting a Master's so I'm going to be qualified to teach high school students.
>>
File: pepe_suicide.jpg (22KB, 352x352px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_suicide.jpg
22KB, 352x352px
I never wanted to be anything.
I'm a NEET now.

>tfw you never had dreams like normies to begin with
>>
>>37721872
A woman.

Funnily enough it is
>>
>>37725205
So you're a paedophile huh? You will get caught eventually.
>>
>>37721872
My 15 year old self already came to terms with the fact i'd never be a pilot and eventual astronaut.
>>
>>37725488
I will most likely be teaching only adults
>>
>>37725465
>I'm going to be qualified to teach high school students
That is EXACTLY what I meant by bad times.

>>37725487
Hello CWC

>>37725497
It took me a long time to work out people who are astronauts are pilots first.

I thought they were separate.
>>
>>37725510
Nah. I loved the idea and even "trained" growing up cause i knew i had to be an establisbed airforce pilot first.

Then my parents hardcore neglected me leading to a very serious sickness from 10ish to 14ish which stunted my puberty and permanently fucked my lungs, heart, eyes, and musculoskeletal system and all the joints therein and they don't take athritic 18 year olds who cough and vomit up blood on the daily while being legally blind into the airforce let alone let them fly.
>>
>>37721872
Honestly nothing, I never had much hope and ambitions as a kid, much like now. I would say that's been my biggest issue in my life, zero ambition. I guess that's why I've been a NEET for 4 years.
>>
>>37721872
Neurosurgeon

Ended up being a Pharmacist
>>
I wanted to be too many things as a kid. All unacheivable.
>wanted to be a soccer player
Never good enough
>wanted to be an artist
Had to spend time trying to be good at soccer or art, chose soccer
>wanted to a computer engineer
Im shit at logic, and therefore programming
>wanted to join the airforce and work on planes
Skin condition meant I couldnt join the military
>now I want to be an electrician
Stuck in a deadend, low level IT job that barely pays the bills and leaves me exausted at the end of the day especially since I still play soccer for fun. Literally no good path for an INTP.
>>
>3-8 years old
Scientist. Because I thought scientists make super robots.
>9-12 years old
Didn't really think about anything
>13-16 years old
Wanted to be a rockstar, got quite good at the guitar
>17-19
Biotechnology engineer, got into best medschool of my country on a scholarship
>20-present
Dropped out of biotech college in the first month, realised biology is boring, now a NEET wannabe gamedev with poor programming skills and shit art
>>
>>37726380
>>13-16 years old
>Wanted to be a rockstar, got quite good at the guitar
Lul me too.
>>
>>37721872

Analyst at CIA.

Instead I became an analyst at DOD. I cry every night.
>>
At 15 I wanted to kill myself

Now I'm still alive and mow lawns for a living. Still keeping the dream alive though.
>>
>>37726626
>analyst at DOD
fuckin scopedope.
>>
>>37721872
>an alcoholic
I've mostly become a stoner. But I drink way too much when I run out of weed.

In the last two months I've been completely sober because I have no money and I'm too bitch to shoplift like I used to and I'm not tough enough to rob people. These two months have been the longest stretch of sobriety I've experienced since about 13 years old.

Going to get a shitimum wage job soon though so I'll be back at it in no time.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.