[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"I love to read too!" >Could she be the one

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 17

File: IMG_0805.jpg (41KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0805.jpg
41KB, 400x266px
>"I love to read too!"
>Could she be the one I've been serc-
>"Harry Potter is my favorite, but I've been re-reading all of John Green's books recently"

Every time...
>>
>"I love to shitpost too!"
>Could she be the one I've been serc
>"Reddit is my favorite!"
>>
>>37691550

Honestly that's a good enough start for me, I'm sure I could work her up to actual shitposting if given some time.
>>
>>37691510
>tfw don't read children's books but still don't read the pretentious books that most robots expect for you to be "good enough"
zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance is condescending and dry at times
>>
What are some /r9k/ approved books?
>>
>>37691573

It's also actual shit and "Journalist-turned-"""author"""" tier
>>
>>37691637

Start with Notes from the Underground and work your way from there
>>
>>37691550
why do people hate that site again?
is it because it's too pc?
>>
You might have better luck with this thread over on /lit/
>>
>>37691658
thanks you're like one of the first people who's actually admitted that and it shat on my for disliking it

i mean i do respect the author kinda like he's a smart guy, but he's definitely filled with hot air and jerks off in front of a mirror all day
>>
>>37691637
Any nonfiction (I prefer WW1-WW2, but thats on personal taste)
Old folklore/sagas
Anything by Haruki Murakami
Anything by Tolkien
Anything by Stephen King

But that's my own personal taste and shit I've enjoyed.
Taste is subjective, don't let a bunch of internet autists tell you what you should or shouldn't read.

I started reading some of Cicero's work yesterday.
10/10 shit.
>>
>>37691716
The problem with reddit is mostly the upvote/downvote system, the forced registration and the god awful user interface. The userbase is also a big part of the problem.
>>
>>37691716
That and they copy every meme that starts on 4chan and ruin it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Knuwl2ZQXE
>>
>>37691510

>talking to girl from pof
>one of those "I love to read" types
>say I like to read also, she asks what I like to read
>Just got done reading James Joyce. Hemingway is next on my list
>Are those for school?
>no, why?
>dunno, they sound boring
>ask her what she likes to read
>jk rowling is her fav author.
>>
>i love anime!
>could she-
>attack on titan and tokyo ghoul are my favorites!
>>
>>37691510
Says the 17-year-old beta obsessed with Kafka.
>>
>>37691756
You are pleb as fuck dear anon.
These are not books approved by /r9k/, ignore this post
>>
File: IMG_0557.jpg (31KB, 466x422px)
IMG_0557.jpg
31KB, 466x422px
>>37691756
>Anything by Stephen King
>>
>>37691718

Better luck? In what way?
>>
>>37691510

I feel that I could have been on the recieving end of this once. When I went (out? not sure) with a girl (I'm still a virgin) and she found out that I read Warhammer 40k.
>>
File: 14419303997.jpg (10KB, 217x232px)
14419303997.jpg
10KB, 217x232px
>>37691823
>wahhhh you have to be a part of the group hivemind! You can't have your own taste!
>>
>>37691856

Black Library is pretty dope as they have the funding from Games Workshop to be pretty discriminatory when it comes to who they publish

Caiphas Cain is 10/10 pulp
>>
>>37691815

I know, right? Why do these pretentious cunts think that spouting random philosophical statements is clever?
>>
>>37691857

>have to

My dear Anon, of course you don't have to!

But neither do I have to stop myself from calling out plebs when they attempt speech.

Read whatever filth you think suits your status
>>
>>37691894

I never read beyond the betrayal of Istvaan tho. The flight of eisenstein made me kinda lose interest, something was about the writing that prevented me from liking it.
>>
I met my gf in psych class after we talked about
>Brave New World
>1984
>The Fall & The Plague
>LotR
It's a start.
>>
>>37691949

Well I'd hope she'd have read those, most states require some sort of Literature class to graduate high school
>>
>>37692028
Every book they made us read in high school was about either the holocaust or the American civil rights movement. The shit we had to read destroyed any desire to read anything.
>>
File: Pepe (420).jpg (7KB, 180x180px)
Pepe (420).jpg
7KB, 180x180px
>>37691826
>It's another "r9pol doesn't like authors that talk negatively about their Drumpkin on twitter" episode
>>
Yea it's too bad she doesn't like meinkampf like you do crusade fag
>>
>>37692101
His books are just shit, m8

Literally oprah reading club tier
>>
>>37691716
poormans shitposting site only people who "shitpost" go on reddit and then upbote their shitposts
>>
>>37691716
>actively censors users through various means (including several occurrences of reddit moderators altering comments)
>discourages original discussion outside of containment subreddits for people with differing opinions
>forced registration (no anonymity besides throwaways which require an email)
>upvote system encouraging the bandwagon fallacy to be seen as sound
>comments sections instead of replies to threads which are mostly redundant
>images can only be posted by the OP
>low-medium population communities being too exclusive (ironically 4chan used to be like this before board culture went to the wayside)
>>
>>37692333
>>low-medium population communities being too exclusive (ironically 4chan used to be like this before board culture went to the wayside)
What do you mean

Boards were never locked off from viewing or commenting on like some sub Reddits are
>>
>>37691510
>A girl talking to me at ALL
I was born with glass bones and paper skin. Every morning I break my legs, and every afternoon I break my arms. At night, I lie awake in agony until my heart attacks put me to sleep.
>>
I like harry potter a lot. I couldn't stand the one John green I picked up before a long bus ride, but what sense is their in being pretentious about books. People can always be turned on to more ~high brow~ so long as they do actually read to begin with. I'll read pretty much anything desu. I particularly enjoy murakami, calving and Wodehouse. But then another part of me enjoys the stuff I read as a kid. Swallows and amazon's, famous 5. I even enjoy some *trashy* popular fiction. The only thing I've never quite got into is fantasy. Except lotr

Who cares in the end.
>>
>>37692028
She went to a Christian hs so they were definitely sought out rather than required reading.
>>
>>37692581

Lol, I went to a catholic high school and I can honestly say we were all better read then every other school, if the academic decathalon I was a part of means anything
>>
>>37692490

Just fucking be autistic dude

Walk up to girls and talk to them

If they tell you to go away you just smile and ask another question
>>
>>37692564
^^^^^^
really who gives a shit. John green books are garbage but they're popular, if a girls has read them then it's not a red flag. and reading fantasy or fiction shouldn't be a turn off, enjoying other world's doesn't decrease someones intelligence or value. also how is r9k gonna get picky over what a grill reads. how is r9k going to get picky over any grill
>>
>>37691637
Not really /r9k/'s but I would recommend Battle Royale by Koushun Takami just to show that humans are fucking trash.
>>
>>37693983
Everyone has standards
>>
>>37691510
Happened to me recently, made me quite sad
>>
>>37691510
Reading isn't much better than watching tv shows. Its another way to get disappointed by a woman's "tastes"
>>
File: IMG_1531.jpg (25KB, 300x237px)
IMG_1531.jpg
25KB, 300x237px
>serc-
>>
>>37694317
>Reading isn't much better than watching tv shows.
>>
File: 1375112862299.jpg (114KB, 733x598px)
1375112862299.jpg
114KB, 733x598px
>>37694366
Nice catch, nice dubs too. What an embarrassment for the OP.
>>
>>37694367
As evidenced by this thread, would you rather your prospective mate is a fujoshit yaoi lover reading Harry Potter and Twilight or watching mindless TV shows? I'd prefer neither but I think reading young adult books is worse than watching tv for young adults. It'd be great to read good books or have conversations about books but I've hardly met anyone in my life that was honest to goodness a "reader" that challenged themselves or sought non-mainstream books.
>>
Tfw your favorite book is about a serial killer who makes perfume out of his victims and your second favorite is about a loli living on her own and kisses an adult retard.
>>
>>37694575
book names pls
>>
>>37694604
Perfume by Patrick Suskind
and Tideland by Mitch Cullin
The second one is harder to get into unless you like slower paced books.
>>
>>37691637
Atlas Shrugged
Orayngaynalo
>>
>>37692333
Reddit isn't too pc. It had fucking r/coontown until last year. The donald trump sub blatantly calls for civil wars and doesn't get banned. They only ban things if they can get in legal trouble or go broke.
>>
>>37691637
Start with the Greeks
Iliad then Odyssey then some histories and tragic plays
>>
>all these people dealing with vapid cunts

Should've tried harder on those SATs. What makes you think you deserve an intellectual gf if you go to a school that's no top ten?
>>
>>37691637
here is a good start

also /r9k/ would probably enjoy a lot of Japanese lit
>>
>"Intellectual bookworms"
>All they read is fiction
Wtf, robots?
This is what you're supposed to read:
The Art of War
The 48 Laws of Power
The Prince
The Rational Male
The Millionaire Teacher
No More Mr. Nice Guy
The Power of Habit
The Willpower Instinct
Mean Genes
How To Win Friends and Influence People
The Slight Edge
Thinking Fast and Slow
Meditations
Book of Pook
Getting Things Done

And so on. Basically, nonfiction that actually makes you think. If you're going to read Tolkien, you might as well watch the entire Naruto anime or something instead, fiction with an entertainment purpose is shit.

Also, don't read the Bible or the Quran. I tried, they're shit. The Taoist and Buddhist religious texts are good reads though, just don't take them literally. Jury's still out on the Hinduist texts, haven't really looked into it.
>>
>>37694912
>reading jude the obscure in 9th grade
>tfw older brother gets his stupid crack head gf "pregnant" she wasn't really pregnant until well after they got married if you go by the birthday of their child
>he stops talking to the whole family
>even refuses to see our grandmother a year later when shes on her death bed
>fall into a deep depression
>spend the rest of my teens jerking off over Camus
>tfw never finished that novel
;n;
>>
>>37691637
Anything by R.L. Stein or K. A. Applegate.
>>
>>37691637
>>37691702
Starting with Dostoevsky is a terrible advice because you wouldn't find him enjoyable unless you're used to this kind of prose (speaking from experience). If you want to start reading, then download essential Bukowski, he is fun and comfy and tackles the problem of disenfranchised youth as well.
>>
>>37695169
I can't tell if you're just pretending to be a pseud or not.
>>
>>37694678
I'll second this. Great book.
>>
File: 1495074553637.jpg (152KB, 634x1007px)
1495074553637.jpg
152KB, 634x1007px
>gf read aloud The Silmarillion to me
>then the hibbit/LoTR
>then Tolstoy
>then Pushkin
>then saya no uta
>then Umineko
>then higurashi

She also sends me images like this
>>
>>37692101
>>37692179
they're not terrible it's just the equivalent of reading a shitty TV show

it's not very good but it can pass the time
>>
>>37691510

>>>>>>>> le fiction
>>
>>37695169
I couldn't make up a worse book list than this even if I wanted to.
>>
>"I love to read!"
Into the trash she goes.
>>
>>37695346
Also, Dostoyevsky and Nietzsche belong on that list, forgot those. I guess Dostoevsky does technically write fiction, but it's purpose is anything but mindless entertainment.
>>
>>37691810
I have never disclosed to another human being I like anime.

Every time I hear someone talk about anime it makes me cringe but it also makes me depressed because they're not afraid of being judged or being themselves and they usually have friends.

;_;
>>
>>37692101
>mfw I read the Shining and was mostly bored but Kubrick's film was actually terrifying
King is a hack, also: MUH SEWER ORGY
>>
>>37692581
>Christian high school
>Lotr not required reading
Something smells like fish
>>
>>37695410
>college friend is dating a trans
>have a roommate reunion at her apt since she actually has her own place
>tfw her tranny fiance kept asking the skinny white guy that had only watched anime i had forced him to watch in college for anime reccs instead of me despite my roommate correcting her several times.
even if you are open about it it will probably backfire and they wont believe you anyways.
>>
>>37695366

Can't have her being too educated, can we?
>>
>>37695835
A reading girlfriend is like a reading cat. A fascinating and rare phenomenon, but let's be honest here, it's not like she understands any of what she's reading anyway.
>>
File: 4L_aulw97Dj.jpg (202KB, 960x1280px)
4L_aulw97Dj.jpg
202KB, 960x1280px
>>37692333
>>actively censors users through various means (including several occurrences of reddit moderators altering comments)

This was reddit admins on the comment editing. Mods can't do anything but delete. And it'll say [removed] instead of [deleted]. That's how you differentiate user deleted or mod deleted comments. Equality shitty and quite possibly the shittist thing ever about reddit was those admin edits that happened in T_D

>>discourages original discussion outside of containment subreddits for people with differing opinions

Yep.

>>forced registration (no anonymity besides throwaways which require an email)

Wrong. Email is only required for account recovery.

>>upvote system encouraging the bandwagon fallacy to be seen as sound

This. The first 5 up/downvotes in the first few minutes of a post going live pretty much determine whether it'll be massively upvoted or downvoted.

>>comments sections instead of replies to threads which are mostly redundant

You can start comment threads in a post. I don't know what you mean by this.

>>images can only be posted by the OP
Upload to imgur and the link there. Imgur was made specifically for this reason. It's by design. It's not an image board so of course it doesn't follow the same design rules as 4chan.

>>low-medium population communities being too exclusive (ironically 4chan used to be like this before board culture went to the wayside)

The small communities is where the good discussion usually is and where you'll find the decent people and less hivemind. /r/music is just as bad as /mu/.

I can't believe I'm defending reddit but I browse both sites. 4chan for 8 years. Reddit for 6. Each have their advantages and disadvantages and I like them for what they are individually. Fuck picking a side.
>>
File: DSC0289.jpg (2MB, 1900x1272px) Image search: [Google]
DSC0289.jpg
2MB, 1900x1272px
>>37691637
I recently read (pic related) and they are pretty great fantacy books. I would go as far as to put a 10/10 on them.
>>
>girl was into me
>ask what she's majoring in (unifag)
>she says English
>okay, what books are you into
>she names some local author
>think to myself that she's based
>look up the author
>every book is a mary sue empowerment fantasy

dropped that roastie like a Meshuggah beat
>>
>>37696319
Ayy this my nigga right here. Fuck i love when self inserting as my boi kaladin.
>>
>>37694912
>stoner
>depressing
smdh tbqh
>>
>>37691637
ernest hemingway, graham greene, a lot of it's political so you'll probably end up with two lists. it's also all over the place between light-hearted comedy and dystopian horror/ tragedy. i like philip k dick's ideas but i don't read him for prose, kurt vonnegut and haruki murakami kind of fall into the same category of cooky reporters of supernatural phenomena. graham greene, and if you like that joseph conrad, all about the white man and his isolation. reading hubert selby is a fucking eyesoar but i like his short stories. brave new world is practically required reading for the modern misanthrope. i like don delillo's stuff, but it's formulaic.

my personal experience has been that the deeper i dig the more alienated i am with no way out, with nothing to show for all the time and effort spent. often i feel like i'm trapped in my own body and every time i reach out is like banging on the glass in the zoo, i'm only capable of startling the animals, only i'm also one of the animals in the zoo and really fucking tired of the asshole knocking on the window.

reading is a great robot hobby, really.
>>
>>37695169

That's just as bad as fiction

Go to a library some time and go to the non-fiction section. Not the magazines or wherever Deepak Chopra is. Nonfiction
>>
>>37691716
normalfag paradise. this probably isn't original.
>>
>>37695169
>equating Tolkien to naruto
Delet this
>>
>>37695169
>self-help books are the patrician option

the art of war, the prince, meditations are the only ones worth anything. maybe dale carnegie. i bet you were bullied out of putting dawkins and the secret on that list.
>>
>>37695232
Great recommendations anon! The gf will love these
>>
>>37695440
You think the new movie will have that orgy part?
>>
File: fear-and-loathing.jpg (316KB, 1104x1600px)
fear-and-loathing.jpg
316KB, 1104x1600px
>>37691637
It's not a robot book, but one of my favorite pieces of fiction is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
I mostly read non-fiction these days, however.
>>
>>37691637
Essential Robot core:
>Ulysses
>the catcher in the rye
>notes from the underground
>a confederacy of dunces
>the metamorphosis
>>
>>37698529
Still have to read Confederacy.
>>
>>37691637
Industrial Society and Its Future
originally
>>
>>37698562
>Books
Do manifestos count? It's an interesting read, regardless.
>>
>>37698529
>catcher in the rye
>book for edgy normies to feel different
>>
>>37698607
sorry he doesn't spend the entire book sitting in his room refreshing web pages, i guess.
>>
>>37698607
fuck off phony
>>
>>37698843
>does normie af things
>has friends
>family rich enough to send him to boarding/private school
>thinks hes ~*~*special*~*~ and different because he's having babby's first existential crisis over fucking his life up.
>>
>>37699023
the character was intentionally written to be an asshat teenager. holden a shit. you a shit.
>>
File: 1419096347637s.jpg (6KB, 187x250px) Image search: [Google]
1419096347637s.jpg
6KB, 187x250px
>>37698898
>normie af
>~*~*special*~*~

that's some seriously normie lingo you got going on there
>>
File: 1423081529207.png (406KB, 539x532px)
1423081529207.png
406KB, 539x532px
>>37699053
>asshat teenager.

again, grade A robot material
>>
>>37699073
theres too much boldness in holden to be a robot. a robot back then would be reveling in the escapism of shitty pulp sci-fi novels and comics or obsessively collecting rocks and baseball cards not running away and actually doing shit.
>>
>/r9klit/ thread
>no mention of Houellebecq
>>
>>37699113
he bumbled around new york city, got drunk and got beat up by a pimp. that's hardly bold. cutting class/school is literally running away from your responsibilities to wander the streets is the opposite of bold. it's like being a bum, minus the hardship and camaraderie.
>>
Tfw unironically like john green cuz his books provide an easy and comfy break between better literature
>>
>>37699187
>spoilering that
why?
yes, it is bold by the standards of a robot. that is a legitimate adventure.
>>
Fuck holden could barely finish the book cuz of his pussy ass whining shit. But i did...still shit book dont care bout muh awards
>>
>>37694805
It's a bad meme, you shouldn't start with something that hard to read or you will start hating reading in general. Small since fiction novels from the middle-late 90s are a good choice to get yourself interested in reading to begin with.
>>
>>37699232
>why?
i didn't want to ruin the adventure
>yes, it is bold by the standards of a robot.
which is why he wrote a book about it. i'ma go jerk off, better use of time.
>>
>tfw a girl at my meditation group actually read Machiavelli's The Prince and really grasped it
>>
>>37699281
first its not bold, now it is bold.
yeah, go jerk off to some traps and enjoy those feminine penises. pretty much on the same level of logic.
>>
ITT Highschool reading and mainstream books

You guys should read some obscure twilight fanfiction or even better shakespeare fanfiction
>>
If we're talking about autistic reading material, has anyone else read Worm, the superhero web serial? Or anything else by that author, for that matter? It's something like 1.7 million words in length.
Pic unrelated, besides BUUUUUGS.
>>
>>37699846
I've read worm, it was alright. It dragged on for too long, though. I ended up skipping a lot of interludes and the entire chapter about the travelers because I wanted to finish the story.
I also tried to read pact, but it's basically Worm 2.0, except without the parts that made worm good.
>>
>>37700185
Yeah, I've had a lot of those issues with Worm to. I never skipped anything, but it really does read like a first draft. It's pretty good for what it is, but it needs a rewrite. Also, the fanbase is kind of unsettling. Unironic avocation for totalitarianism and the eradication of personal autonomy kind of unsettling.
Shame to hear about Pact though, I just started it.
>>
File: Wat.png (2MB, 1015x1619px)
Wat.png
2MB, 1015x1619px
>>37695665
You ever hang out with fundie Baptists. The more adjectives before "Baptists" the more cultish they are. IIRC there's 4 or 5 before hers. Can't wear shorts because
>(step)dad wouldn't want to think of you like that."

>mfw i ask myself

>did you just tell me your dad has a little girl in shorts fettish?
>>
>>37691637
How to Fail at Almost Anything and Still Win Big
>>
>>37700290
I see what you mean. It felt like the story just had no idea where it was going after the timeskip.

Pact is alright at first. Like worm, the protagonist has to deal with impossible odds, yet manages to think of a clever plan that lets them save the day. But unlike worm, there's never any closure. Blake never actually manages to win. He either slightly disrupts the antagonists's plans, or he wins a small victory (and ends up in a much worse situation)
Once it got to the part where he actual spoilers gets eaten by a demon,
comes back as a boogeyman and finds out all of his friends have forgotten about him. And then we find out that blake is actually a spirit that grandma made to take the place of the real heir, Rose. Grandma's plan all along was to have Blake die as a distraction for rose. Rose was lying to him all along, his friends were just random people his grandma implanted memories into,
and now they're members of Rose's cabal.
Oh, and Rose is Blake's enemy now, because he's a demon and she has no memories of him and fuck you.
I just got tired of reading about someone who's incapable of doing anything without ruining everything. It's also a lot more dark than worm, for some reason.
>>
>>37698529
Ulysses is an awfull book, most people who discuss te book never read it
>>
>>37691510
Since I study in some kind of prestigious institute full of rich intelligents kids it's not rare to find someone who reads real Litterature.
Maybe it's because of my country too, France had many fantastic autors during her history.
>>
>>37691637
Heart of darkness originally
>>
>>37691702
"I am a sick man. I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased."

I love Dostoevsky
>>
>>37691756
I dig your taste, friend. Especially Murakami. I unironically learned Japanese mostly to read Murakami and Soseki in the original language.
>>
>>37695286
seems like a keeper
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.