[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a person who's studying to be an Islamic Studies

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

File: IMG756128466.jpg (10KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
IMG756128466.jpg
10KB, 226x223px
Ask a person who's studying to be an Islamic Studies professor anything.
>>
Will it still be okay for me to get a tattoo? My Imam said it would be but then I watched a half hour lecture by one in New York who said it'd have to fast for 3 months.
>>
what are you studying to be
>>
File: 566e9b74c46188ab718b4597.jpg (64KB, 790x444px) Image search: [Google]
566e9b74c46188ab718b4597.jpg
64KB, 790x444px
>>37673554

Is there anything you've studied which blew your mind?
>>
>>37673554
How close would you say ISIS is to "true" Islam?

How close would you moderate muslims are?
>>
>>37673554
How many Jihads for a gf?
>>
>>37673579
you shouldnt damage or alter your own body because it does not belong to you, no length of fasting will change that, what kind of bullshit is that?
>>
>>37673579
By the basis of Islamic primary sources, nothing would make getting a tattoo permissible.
>>
Is sharia law compatible with democracy?
>>
>>37673624
I think the Shias are more than likely right in who should've succeeded Muhammad. If anyone is interested and hasn't heard of the testimony at the lake of Khumm, check it out.
>>
>>37673814
No.

By the way, if anyone wants to have a more in depth response to a question, just ask. I'm typing on my phone but can try to go to a computer if need be.
>>
>>37673554
How much goat ass did you pound brother? Have you done your daily penis inspection and daughter daily vaginal stretching for preparation of marriage? Do not let these HARAME dogs get you down MOOSlims shall breed like rats and take their rightful clay!
>>
>>37673593
A professor. I love the idea of sitting in an ivory tower day in and day out attempting to contribute to the academic landscape.
>>
>>37673863
Can you explain your hate of Muslims?
>>
>>37673904
Can you explain it?
>>
>>37673836
>I think the Shias are more than likely right in who should've succeeded Muhammad.
>>37673860
>No.
Can you elaborate on these two posts, especially on the second one? In addition, would you say that traditional Islam is incompatible with traditional Western values (particularly a belief in personal freedom) or is it possible for the two to coexist without one diminishing the other?
>>
>>37673641
This is a tough question, as it passes over first determining what the actorship of ISIS and Islam are. I've written some preliminary stuff on the topic, mostly modeling ISIS over what THEY claim justifies their actions in Islam. For that, a lot comes from the Rumiyyah Dhul-Hijah, their online web magazine.

If one looks into what they say there, you see a hatred of almost all modern and even most ancient scholars that leaves nothing but the basest of primary sources with which to function. This is both good and bad for ISIS, as it helps to support some of their actions while knifing others. If you want a simple answer, all I can say is "eh, they're often Islamic, but there are tons of times where they aren't."
>>
>>37674069
Sure.

For the first one, a lot of debate surrounds this time in which Muhammad was returning from the Hajj and gathers a bunch of people at this lake, and then he gets Ali up front with him and talks about how "I inform you that whomever I am his master, this Ali is his master (Mawla)."

The Sunnis claim that "Mawla" just means that Ali is supposed to be trustworthy and a leader but not necessarily Muhammad's successor, but frankly I believe the general structure of the Hadith and most linguistic analyses support the Shia position.

For the second, saying that Sharia is antithetical to democracy is inherent in its basest form. If immutable law is descended from an omniscient higher power and its legalistic structure is entirely rooted in mechanisms attempting to discern god's intention rather than in how to adjust rulings for the people, how can it be democratic?

With that in mind, Islam requires in my opinion a liberal reform in order to be "compatible" with western values on a societal level. However, this is honestly a question more easily solved. Western values allow for personal freedom, and with that in mind, one can live as a very conservative Muslim within a western society, much like you see orthodox Jews do in Israel.
>>
>>37673982
Why anon hates Muslims regardless of the individual? He's a faggot, there's your explanation.
>>
>>37673684
Brudder jew need treehunned jihads for da perfect habibti.
>>
>>37674427
>muh muhdslooom feelings are hurt :'(
>now I must go rape my goat to get this sexual emergency out of the way
>>
File: 1452245223239.jpg (8KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
1452245223239.jpg
8KB, 270x187px
>>37673554
Would you not try to become a professor of something a bit more substantial? I mean if you're going to be an academic you could at least talk about something that isn't memes.
>>
>>37674559
There's actually a lot going on with Islamic studies in academia right now. It's kinda at the forefront of the postmodern vs. post-postmodern debate if you're interested in stuff outside the realm of pure Islamic thought, and the field by itself is going through some interesting development and will continue to do so, especially compared to other fields of religious study.
>>
>>37674402
>With that in mind, Islam requires in my opinion a liberal reform in order to be "compatible" with western values on a societal level.

PREACH.

I say that as a person who was born here but have parents that are Muslim immigrants.
>>
>>37673554
how did you end up falling for the religon meme
>>
>>37673554

Why do you believe in your pointless misogynist demon? Do you fear death? Do you need a crutch to get through the ho-hum of life?
>>
>>37673554
Could you please explode in the middle east and stay away from civilized countries?
>>
Do you actually believe this religious shit or did you just want a secure job?
>>
>>37673554
Death to Islam, I love waking up and reading about how many sand niggers where killed by other sand niggers that day
>>
>>37675416
>>37675398
>>37675410
>>37675455
>>37675460
You do know that professor does not mean priest, right?

He studies the religion. That does not mean that he practices it.
>>
>>37673554
How are you handling the fact that you'll be working in the service industry the rest of your life?
>>
>>37675257
Hopefully you are Bosnian, Tatar, or Albanian otherwise leave America/Europe
>>
>>37673554
why dont you end yourself you filthy Islamic goatnigger
>>
>>37676167
It's my passion, so I don't care.
>>
>>37673554
Why are you posting in /r9k/? You know most questions are going to be trolls insulting you
>>
>>37676137
Thanks anon. Yeah, I'm an atheist, as is most of the religious studies department where I study.
>>
>>37676412
It's fun man. I'm bored, and you're gonna get hit with trolls regardless of what ya post on here, it is 4chan after all. Plus, if even one person gets a little bit more interested in studying religions, I'm happy.
>>
>>37676466
I actually do like theology, specifically the eastern ones.

Problem is, I don't think a viable career will come of it, so I'll have to study it on my own time.
>>
>>37676410
Being a barista or waiter is your passion? Different strokes for different folks I guess.
>>
>>37676502
I get that. I really didn't think that a job in academia would be possible, but several things came together for me that made it a lot easier. For a lot of people, it really is a far-off dream to fully pursue something like philosophy or religion, especially considering there's nothing outside of academia.

I hope you enjoy your study anon and have a great future in whatever career. Do you read into Hinduism or Buddhism at all?
>>
>>37676535
I was a double major for my bachelors with the express purpose of having a safety net if my pursuit in religious studies failed. A lot of people that work hard enough get into fully stipended PhD work right out of a bach degree, and from there it becomes much clearer as to how one could be a professor.
>>
>>37676593
Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism.

I have not delved into Hinduism yet. It is very extensive, and I would have to analyze quite a few holy books. I suppose you could say that about all of them, I suppose.
>>
>>37676627
Well then I'm glad you're being smart about it. I know too many people from high school/college who weren't and are miserable now
>>
File: IMG_0030.jpg (68KB, 564x425px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.jpg
68KB, 564x425px
>>37673554
Are you actually Muslim? I assume you are given the studies.

I'm a white male southerner completely disenfranchised by Protestantism and I want nothing to do with atheism. Shia Islam interests me because it seems considerably less explodey and more modern than sunni Islam (no offense if you're Sunni), seems more historically legitimate, and seems to align with most of my values.
So essentially, how do I go about converting? What is Islamic community like? Will I be accepted as Muslim by other Muslims? Also might be a bad question, but what level commitment am I looking at besides Mosque, daily prayer and yearly festivities (and moral commitments ofc)?
>>
>>37676629
Very cool! I do admit I have little to no experience with Taoism and Confucianism (I own the Tao Te Ching and that's about it), but I did some stuff with Nyingma Buddhism.

Anything essential to know about Taoism or Confucianism?

A good primer for Hinduism is The Hindus: An Alternate History by Wendy Doniger. Solid balance between traditional and postmodern historiography and analysis. Great stuff.
>>
>>37673554
Would you agree that Islam needs a separation of the church and the state?
>>
Explain Islam in a way that someone groomed in Christian schooling from k-12 like myself can understand it.

Also why do arabs and 3rd world like it so much? I always assumed they just hate getting used by europeans so hard they sided with islam, like many blacks who go islam just to spite whitey.
>>
>>37676693
I'm actually not a Muslim myself, just an atheist. If you're interested in converting, especially to Shiism, your path can range from simply deciding to drive to a mosque one day to flying out to the middle east to bump elbows with the Ulema. This actually goes for any form of Islam really, it's really up to you and what options are close. If the local imam is intensive, the community tends to be so, and if he's less strict, so will the community be. That being said, you can limit your intensity even in a very strongly conservative area by simply going to the mosque less. There are Ramadan Muslims just like there are Easter Christians.

Shia Islam is in my opinion no less extreme than Sunnis, as everything is up to interpretation as to people in positions of power in the faith. Though the Ayatollah may be a fairly illegitimate leader of Shias, Khomeini's insanely violent, disgusting writings are doubtlessly considered part of modern Shiism by many. If you're really interested though, look at the red vs. black shia divide discussed by Ali Shiriati. It's a great look at the issues and hopes surrounding contemporary Shiism.
>>
File: Aleister_Crowley.jpg (13KB, 220x304px) Image search: [Google]
Aleister_Crowley.jpg
13KB, 220x304px
>>37673554
What are your thoughts on Alester Crowley and the occult craft?
>>
>>37676707
Yes, but by its original formation that is impossible without drastic reform.
>>
>>37676695
The Eastern religions are unique in that they are what I would consider philosophy-religions.

Confucianism is essentially a call to respect your elders, the law, and the old ways. That is a very simplified version. It also stressed good governance as well, and was the official policy of ancient China. It also has the earliest (as far as I know) documented use of the Golden Rule, which is part of ren, which is benevolence.

The Tao is the primordial energy or force in the world. To follow the Tao is to follow the Way. From what I can gather, it needs to be cultivated, especially for a Westerner. The Tao Te Ching and other books are parables and koans and other sayings. Due to their phrasing and the fact that they are translated from Chinese, makes it difficult for me to understand all of what they are trying to say.
>>
>>37673554
Do you think that the sun sets in a muddy spring?

Also if allah protects the quran why did a tame goat eat the surahs that justified stoning for adultery?
>>
>>37676715
The best way I can describe Islam is that it's basically Judaism 3.0, it follows the same God as does Christianity, but with a Prophet after Jesus that had a new, final text as to what God wanted for the world revealed to him, being the Qur'an. The Prophet (Muhammad) was also proclaimed to be the new ideal for humanity, and thus his proclamations about how one should live was also collected and followed by many muslims, in the Ahadith, Sunnah, and Sirah.

The reason it remains in the middle east is twofold. Partially it is the structure of the religion, which is made to convert people and then keep them in the faith, and western imperialism, that especially in academia fetishized islam in the early to mid 1800s via artistic translations of sufi texts, which is how we got ideas of stuff like flying carpets and shit (ok there's also the Arabian Nights). Saying they "sided" with Islam is wrong, as they were muslims before the majority was "used by europeans," especially considering the free interplay of ideals during the Islamic golden age.
>>
>>37676919
Ooh someone has watched two masked arab videos and thinks they're an expert.

Wikiislam is good, but expand your mind a bit.

But yeah, those two things are probably best taken as is, though the goat story is from a weak hadith, and probably isn't true.
>>
http://www.noblequran.com/translation/surah4.html
I'm very confused by this.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Mu%27minoon

I thought Islam just allowed sex between married polygamous relationships. But these two verses basically imply that you may have 4 wives and whatever the upper bound is on the number of slaves (virtually boundless I imagine).

Why does the Quran permit sexual slavery? Or slavery at all for that matter. How can this be deemed moral? I'm from a liberal background naturally but there has to be some arguments supporting these decisions.
>>
>>37676804
I find it interesting, I can't say I'm too educated, but I'd like to do more reading.

Us young academics are notoriously tunnel-visioned in out work.
>>
>>37677019
Most justification for why having sex slaves in Islam is permissible stems from the hadith, such as with Sahih Muslim 8:3432.

There are multiple tales of precedent for this in Islamic history. Look into the story of Safiyya, one of Muhammad's wives.
>>
>>37677019
Maybe to clear this up.
Is the Quran literally just 'because I said so'? Because my experience with the Bible is that it's (rather clumsily) conveying it's moral view. I don't feel things are justified at all here.
>>37677119
I'll look into it.
>>
>>37673554

The only acceptable request:

Prove it, faggot.
>>
>>37677129
Yeah, unlike the bible, the Quran is literally the unadulterated word of god (which is why non-arabic loanwords are such a problem), via Muhammad via Gibreel. Therefore, it is unquestionable, and all arguments come down to interpretations.
>>
>>37677141
Go back to rabbit.
Post contents mean much more than photoshopped photos.
>>
>>37676964
>Judaism 3.0

and there's actually a judaism 4.0 with the introduction of bahai now.

how many times can you retcon this one religion before people get sick of it?
>>
>>37673554
What would a Muslim think of 1950's America or any western country from that era? Do you think this would look like an ideal society (apart from the fact that it's obviously not Islamic)?
>>
>>37677119
>8:3432
God that's so sleazy. How could anyone buy into this?
>>
>>37677208
Born into it, spoon-fed a watered-down version of Islam, forced, converted for love, who knows?
>>
>>37676281
Lebanese/Palestine/Syrian mix so you can yell at me to go back all you want :^)
>>
>>37677204
I'm back in my phone and about to sleep so my response is gonna be short sorry.

One issue I think a lot of people have is grouping all Muslims as a singular bloc. Im going to approach the question like we're talking about a strongly conservative but non radical muslim. Simply put, no. What categorizes 50s America? Strong domestic vs business gender roles for women and men? Sure, perhaps our Muslim would be happy with that, but an islamic society is so much more. Is the pact of Umar in place? Is there Halal banking? Is prayer mandatory?
>>
>>37677304
Go back faggot
>>
>>37677199
I mean, 5.0 counting Mormonism.

Faith is a crazy strong thing man.
>>
File: 1497236444322.png (252KB, 458x624px) Image search: [Google]
1497236444322.png
252KB, 458x624px
>>37677319
BACK THE FUCK OFF WAITO PIGGU??!?!?!??!??!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
>>
>>37673554
Alright guys, I'm off to bed. Until I've finished my tests, papers, dissertation, etc. I still hafta work a wagecuck job in the morning.

It's been fun, I'll do it again at some point.
>>
>>37673554

For the sake of allah would you march through the gates of paradise where your maidens await?
>>
>>37677386
Thanks op
It's been helpful.
>>
>>37673554
Do you have a white gf ?
>>
>>37676994
But Sahih al Bukhari is well authentic so if you disregard even 1 hadith from it its the whole collection is considered weak and many basic tenets of islam go down the trash as well.

Why is it that whenever Islam has dubious teachings the immediate response is "its a weak hadith"?
>>
>>37676994
One does not have to read the whole teachings to be able to question islam. Are you saying that we have to regard Islamic teachings as perfect until we read all of them them?
>>
File: removekebab.png (377KB, 416x610px) Image search: [Google]
removekebab.png
377KB, 416x610px
>>37673554

Why do Muslims consider Mohammed to be the 'perfect man' when he;

1. Owned slaves.
2. Married a 9 year old girl.
3. Raped a 12 year old girl.
4. Waged wars of aggression.
>>
>>37673554
Do you hate faggots and SJWs?
>>
How much of the Hadith is bullshit? There's this guy Chris White on Youtube, and I can't find the video anymore, but he said a lot of them were sourced from little stories or novels and other bullshit like that. I can't even really remember, wish I could find the video again, but anyway what's your take on it?

Any thoughts on the Book of Mormon? You've probably never read it but it would be interesting if you did.

Is Christianity really compatible with Islam? I mean, come on. Jesus preaches endless compassion while parts of the Koran I read say we will be weighed on scales and certain people will burn for I don't remember how long. Jesus did say the wheat would burn as well, but wouldn't you say the central message is quite different? I know the Koran has some of that same love your brother/neighbor type shit in it though. But Muslims aren't really like that. They're mostly rapist terrorists who think God favors them. Kinda entitled pricks t b h.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.