[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> I therefore conclude that the meaning of life is the most

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: camus.jpg (15KB, 537x360px) Image search: [Google]
camus.jpg
15KB, 537x360px
> I therefore conclude that the meaning of life is the most urgent of questions.

Holy shit this is almost as good as when Bertrand Russel proved 1 + 1 = 2
>>
>>37656309
>a meaningless being can create meaning
existentialists should neck themselves
>>
>>37656365
How else to cope with a world without any real order of things? To feel accomplished a person should find something they wholeheartedly want to achieve, create their own meaning in order to become a real person rather than a wanton machinism that plays a charicature of themselves day by day.
>>
>>37656365

I've only just started reading Camus and I pretty much leapt in with no context. I don't really know what the major themes are, I just came across this in the opening paragraphs in an essay on suicide.

The whole thing strikes me as pretentious in a 13 year old stoner "I have discovered that the meaning of life is important" kind of way.
>>
>>37656309
do yourselves a favor and skip on 20th century french litterature, except for Jean Giono and Michel Houellebecq
>>
>>37656795
Sartre is everybodies homeboy and i aint even mad
>>
>>37656884
Sartre was a bourgeois commie who collaborated then turned late resistant. The man is scum. The author leaves me indifferent, don't see the big deal about it, I must be lacking context.
>>
File: goedel2.jpg (15KB, 376x250px) Image search: [Google]
goedel2.jpg
15KB, 376x250px
>>37656309
>Holy shit this is almost as good as when Bertrand Russel proved 1 + 1 = 2
*blocks your path*
>>
>>37656795
>not enjoying Debord's edgy highschooler esq critique of consumer culture
>>
>>37656917
Maybe ive just been sucking his dick too long. I try to keep personal life out of work when i think of some peoples accomplishments, cause otherwise you will hate everyone. The age of reason and existentialism is a humanism are both fantastic reads. I could read TAOR a thousand times, it relates so much to how i feel in this world, bored, disoriented and longing. Purely a subjective believe, and im okay with knowing that is the case.
>>
you niggers are horrible, taking a big dump on some of the most profound minds and works of the century
>>
>>37656995
Existentialism was a fad and nothing more. No one cares about it anymore beyond college undergrads.
>>
>>37656995
The goal of the youth is to tear apart the work of previous generations ;^)
>>
>>37657014
Or was it an answer to an age old question and we have now been able to move foreward from it?
>>
>>37657025
Yeah but the youth of this age is tearing the older and kissing the boots of the current.
>>
>>37657038
Well considering the major existentialists (Camus, Sartre, Heidegger) disagreed at every point I'm not sure there is an answer that has any sort of consensus.
>>
>>37657025
Not all of it, though.
>>
>>37657089
Maybe not, but at least closer than where we were with the metaphysical jargon and hogwash.
>>
File: Camus.jpg (132KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Camus.jpg
132KB, 2000x1000px
>>37656495

Camus is pretty much the philosopher you read while you're young, namely in high school/college. Camus gets widely misunderstood on this website because of the jaded, cynical nature of the average contrarian 4channer. Plus I'm pretty sure people hate him on here because he was handsome as fuck.

Camus explores philosophical ideas/concepts that have been thought over for decades, but within his subjective interpretation of a philosophical structure is something that struck me as unique and influencing in the way of getting me more involved in a pursuit of structure for myself.

The absurd is essentially mans innate desire to know the purpose of his existence, while accepting the timely truth of a cold, empty universe that only takes the call of man into the void. The absurd is therefore inescapable as the human question of its own existence will always be present. If there is no purpose to existence, the fundamental question of suicide remains ever looming to a person.

Suicide itself is an admittance of existence and life to be too suffering for one individual, he cashes his chips in despite the act of suicide being completely against the instincts of a living organism. Camus also rejects religious answers to existence (mostly Judeo-Christian), claiming a belief in the after life to be philosophical suicide. It's a leap of faith, born of arrogance and the cultural influencing fear in western society stemming from Jude-Christian beliefs in death.

It's been a while since I've read his stuff, but rebellion of the absurd means to simultaneously accept the condition of futility and meaninglessness while living life with a strong desire to rebel against that condition by attempting to overcome and enjoy your existence itself to its last bitter seconds.
>>
>>37656365
Existentialism is "Mental Gymnastics: The Philosophy, or, how to ignore God to the best of my abilities"
>>
>>37657045
Ya, it's a shame that every movement is part of the status quo or impotent/degenerate.
>>
>>37657311
Great summary m8. You're right about his good looks, I think he even flirted with the idea of being a film star, and fellow intellectuals hated all the mad pussy he got.
>>
>>37656495
Do you have adhd? Read the whole thing before you mock it
>>
>>37656473

this anon gets it. fuck the cultural machine of society pressing down on each individual. bending, molding each of us into someone who we think we should be or think we are.

i'm surprised there aren't more mass murderers out there.
>>
>>37657311

> rebellion of the absurd means to simultaneously accept the condition of futility and meaninglessness while living life with a strong desire to rebel against that condition by attempting to overcome and enjoy your existence itself to its last bitter seconds.

So it's yet another sanitzed Nietzsche ripoff?
>>
>>37656922
he stopped eating when his wife could no longer prepare his meals for him and he starved to death
>>
>>37658578

Not really, only in the aspect of them both not wanting to succumb to nihilism and having meaning in the face of meaninglessness.

The fundamental difference between them is Nietzsche focused more on the individual continuously attempting to be as self-overcoming as possible in the face of suffering and a limited existence, while Camus wanted individuals to find something they truly love life for while rebelling against the idea of suicide/philosophical suicide.
>>
File: aquinas.jpg (483KB, 1152x1600px) Image search: [Google]
aquinas.jpg
483KB, 1152x1600px
>>37656309
Please do not spark up a discussion about philo in my presence.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.