[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I took a class in geology and its comfy as fuck. I unironically

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: 0CxJK7a.png (1MB, 1256x999px) Image search: [Google]
0CxJK7a.png
1MB, 1256x999px
I took a class in geology and its comfy as fuck. I unironically am excited to take more geology classes, it's an extremely cool subject.

Why don't you major in geology anon?
>>
woah whats that thing? tahta awesome
>>
>>37550231
Because I'm majoring in physics
>>
>>37550231
Because I want to major in something that could get me a job.
Geology is interesting, but will not end with me being employed.
>>
>>37550231
Geology does sound like a comfy subject, but I'm studying math
>>
geology is great! Do you have a favorite rock or mineral anon?
>>37550295
There are jobs in oil and mineral exploration but sadly you are right If you are in it for the money engineering is much better
>>
>>37550295
you wouldnt need a job you would know exactly where the gold is
>>
>>37550231
I love geology, it's my minor though because most geology-major jobs are all about oil and government bs
>>
>>37550260
Looks like it may be diatomaceous earth.
>>
>>37550652
they are diatomsspecifically coccoliths .The ingredient of diatomaceous earth
>>
>>37550231
Because I'm an english major

Currently in Honours with scholarships lined up pretty much until doctorate because I'm not a brainlet. Gonna kill myself when I run out of funding but until then, it's been a blast learning about some of the best literature and philosophy mankind has produced. My entire day is pretty much spent giong inside other people's minds. It literally rewires your neural pathways and how you think and interface with reality desu.
>>
>>37550260
Oh are you talking about the pic?
Those are coccolithophores, they have shells made of calcium carbonate from which most chalk is made

>>37550278
There's quite a bit of overlap between the two. By geology I just meant the general earth sciences, geophysics is a pretty cool field.

Atmospheric dynamics, geomorphology, fluvial fluid dynamics, etc, there's a lot of applied physics involved in the study of the earth.

>>37550295
>>37550571
yeah I'm not actually majoring in it either I'm just minoring in it. I'm majoring in engineering.

I think geology majors have pretty good job prospects though, don't they?

Because you need a bachelor's in geology to become a registered Professional Geologist.

My uncle was a professional hydrologist, he worked in a geological consulting firm making like 300k / year, traveling all over the world to look at water systems or something.

so there is definitely money in it for at least some people, and I don't think getting employed should be *that* hard although you won't be making bank

>>37550722
any book recommendations? Have you ever read a book that changed your life?
>>
>>37550633
An economist and a normal person are walking down the road.
The normal person says "Hey there is a 20$ bill on the ground!" The economist replies "That's impossible, if it were really a 20$ bill it would have been picked up by now."
>>
>>37550231
because i'm majoring in physics, bitch
>>
File: harzburgiteantofillite(3).jpg (152KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
harzburgiteantofillite(3).jpg
152KB, 800x533px
>>37550856
job wise its a feast famine industry. If you are a pro at analyzing core logs and work for an oil industry you can be making a ton of money during the boom season in the tar sands but when Saudis increase production and oil goes down to nothing, everyone is out of a job. the people who do well in the industry are those who stick with it even during the worse of times. Similar things apply to mines and exploration, some mines shut down when the price of certain resources go down too low. Hydrologists get a license to print money but the number of job opening for them are limited.
>>
>>37551026
Are you a geologist / geology major? What are you interested in doing?
>>
>>37551062
Major. I'm going to try and get into exploration since that is picking up this summer according to the hearsay. I will have a research project next term on certain chemical reactions in certain mineral deposits however I wont go into it because its too technical and I don't want to be identified. I mostly want to walk around outside for a few years with a clipboard mapping for a company. There is something very satisfying about walking for 8 hours a day identifying rocks. If oil picks up im sure ill be logging core in some shack somewhere.
>>
>>37551234
Can you tell me your opinion on deep sea mining anon?

I've heard a little bit of buzz about that but nothing serious seems to have come to fruition - what kinda minerals can be found in the ocean crust which can't be found on continental crust? Do you see a big future in deep sea mining? What are the environmental effects, are they serious enough that it shouldn't be considered?

also are there any types of classes you would particularly recommend a non-geology major take?
>>
>>37550231
congratulations on finding something you enjoy and can study happily, anon.
my most (well, second most) admired teacher in life was a geology PhD. good luck!
>>
File: image003.jpg (53KB, 810x554px) Image search: [Google]
image003.jpg
53KB, 810x554px
>>37551390
Im not the most informed on the subject of the logistics of deep sea mining and the mining itself but VMS deposits, which are caused by chemical reactions pulling sulfides out of hot vent water when exposed the cold ocean water are found both on land (from ancient spreading ridges) and on current spreading ridges. the process of extraction would have to be very very cost effective because they can still be found on land due to accretion of oceanic crust onto the surface. VMS deposits can have mounds of 40% sulfides (this is a crazy high concentration) containing zinc, copper and other precious metals giving them a very high economic incentive but there are still many many low hanging fruit on land that I would imagine be extracted first instead of the complex process of mining the deep. Technology does make strives every year and since and there is a huge economical incentive in mining for resources I would not be surprised if this sort of thing became possible in the future.
>>
>>37550908
>>>37550633
>An economist and a normal person are walking down the road.
>The normal person says "Hey there is a 20$ bill on the ground!" The economist replies "That's impossible, if it were really a 20$ bill it would have been picked up by now."
This honestly
>>
>>37550231
Because I'm too old to major in anything
If I could I would study laws though
>>
how is it that this thing can get a gf and you faggots can't

EXPLAIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7KC8HkjsK4
>>
>>37553684
>Because I'm too old to major in anything
>If I could I would study laws though
ok
Bump
>>
File: 1496238980968.gif (904KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1496238980968.gif
904KB, 150x150px
>>37550231
No one fucking cares. This site isn't your personal blog.
>>
>>37554889
He's attractive and cute looking.

We're ugly and repulsive.

Is it really that hard to understand?
>>
>>37550231
Most robots aren't smart enough to get a degree.
>>
>>37550231
Any good books to recommend for just reading purposes to get more educated?
>>
>>37550231
Doing a PhD in geology. Palynology to be specific. I get my own microscope and no one bothers me so it's pretty comfy.
>>
>>37555712
Marshak's Earth: Portrait of a Planet
>>
File: 1474376917223.jpg (385KB, 1420x1420px) Image search: [Google]
1474376917223.jpg
385KB, 1420x1420px
>>37555736
>Doing a PhD

Get off our board.
>>
Currently considering to drop out of my current uni programm (pretty much organization studies with a development studies twist) to get a philosophy instead...It's incfedibly fascinating to me but I have good grades right now, got invited to do the honors programm next year but I am not really happy with my courses.
Please anons advice me
>>
>>37556010
How much time do you have left?
Might just wanna finish strong and take philosophy classes you are interested in
>>
>>37555736
>palynology
That sounds pretty cool anon
what are you studying, like what particles are you looking at and what do you hope to find out from them?
>>
>>37556033
2 out of 3 years left, plus 2 years for a masters probably...No chances of taking many philosophy courses cause most of them aren't taught in english where i study
>>
>>37556042
Looking at pollen and spores in Australian coals. Doing a bit of biostrat and reconstructing the climate and environment. Its a cool field since it has such broad applicability.
>>
>>37555797
Ordered. Hope you're right anon.

I've been meaning to learn some geology and linguistics on my own.

Thanks for the tip!
>>
>tfw go to the mountains
>think about how ancient they are
>used to be an ocean 100 million years ago
mind blown
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.