[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I pretend to become Christian again to please my parents?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: lead_960.jpg (142KB, 960x718px) Image search: [Google]
lead_960.jpg
142KB, 960x718px
Should I pretend to become Christian again to please my parents? They don't like hate me for being an atheist, I can just tell it hurts them to think I'm going to hell.
>>
Ask them tough questions.
Like, "there are thousands of religions in the world today, what makes you think you were lucky enough to be born in exactly the right one?"
"What about a random kid in rural China who never even heard of christianity so never converted? Do millions of people like him deserve to go to hell and suffer for eternity?"
"If humans have a soul (and you either have it or you don't), at what point in the evolutionary history did organisms start having souls? Primates? Fish? Plants? Bacteria?"
"What about all the people born before Jesus Christ and christianity? do they all go to hell?"
>>
>>37502455
I guess I'll play devil's advocate.

>Ask them tough questions.
>Like, "there are thousands of religions in the world today, what makes you think you were lucky enough to be born in exactly the right one?"
Christians are told that their religion is the special snowflake of religions. They are taught that all others and trying to get to god or gods, while for them, god came down to find them. Also don't use the word religion around them because they think that religion refers to the other religions, while their is considered a faith, and therefore somehow different.

>"What about a random kid in rural China who never even heard of christianity so never converted? Do millions of people like him deserve to go to hell and suffer for eternity?"
They say that if one hasn't heard of god then god will save them based on the type of person they've been.

>"If humans have a soul (and you either have it or you don't), at what point in the evolutionary history did organisms start having souls? Primates? Fish? Plants? Bacteria?"
Lol evolution. Everyone knows Earth is only 6000 years old. Scientists are lying to everyone.

>"What about all the people born before Jesus Christ and christianity? do they all go to hell?"
No, before Jesus they had to make those animal sacrifices to atone for their sins.

Those are the answers I've gotten when I questioned their faith.
>>
>>37502294
Yes. What do you have to lose by just pretending? Plus you regain their approval.
>>
>>37503108
This. I've been "religious" for years now simply because the alternative is a battle I don't see the point in fighting.
>>
>>37502294
theyll give you shit for being athiest in high school, when you get older they become less religious.
>>
Well, OP, are you dependent on your parents? Because if not, there's not much of a point in trying to hide it from them. If you're still dependent on them financially or otherwise I can see hiding your beliefs so they don't cut you off or something.

But if not, it's not worth it to pretend to have beliefs that you don't because it might hurt your relationship with them. I've been down that road. Do you want to be the kind of person who compromises on what they stand for to gain others' approval? It's better to just be honest.
>>
>>37502455
>"there are thousands of religions in the world today, what makes you think you were lucky enough to be born in exactly the right one?"
There's a more important problem with this one, which is, everyone does this. For example, the development of physics (as we have it) is entirely dependent on the perception of discrete objects; nearly every physical concept is one that refers to objects. But people can lose the ability to perceive objects, which is broadly called agnosia. What makes you think that you're more right about the nature of the universe than someone with that disorder? And after all, "disorder" is just a word that means "doesn't function like I do."
The basic fact is, you have to have a lot of faith in yourself to get anywhere in the world, and, deep down, everyone knows that though maybe can't articulate it. But that issue is why you'll never get anywhere asking "why do you trust your own judgment so much?"
>>
>>37502294
You should always try to make your parents happy.
Just embrace Christian culture and keep your disbelief in the story private.
Christianity is pretty fucking nice.
I wish I lived in a small Christian town rather than this degenerate multicultural cesspool
>>
>>37502455
>DUDE JUST BE A CRINGEY FEDORA TIPPING TEEN LMAO
>>
>>37502294
depends, if you go back to being christian do you have to do any bullshit like going to church? If not that do it because it's a non-issue.
>>
>>37502916
1. christianity is the largest global religion. jesus said that every nation and every tongue would confess, so if you judge purely by success of proselytism, this is a plus.
2. the bible says that the unevangelized are capable of salvation, that it is accounted them for righteousness. although i know several things, i'm sure something i know is wrong.
3. humans have souls. animals at least have spirits according to the bible; whether they aspire to immortality or can become immortal i do not know.
4. they do not go to hell, for why did christ preach to the dead?
>>
>>37503749
christians are the church; whether you go to hang out with them weekly is a different issue
>>
>>37503680
How do you know rural America is so great if you don't live there? These people aren't abusing opiods so much for no reason...
>>
>>37503785
I know I and my whole family are christians but not practicing, since the OP family seems to be active as they want him "back" I can only assume he would have to through the usual bullshit each sunday and during holidays.
>>
>>37503844
Actually they don't really go every Sunday anymore. We used to go every Sunday, but the church we used to go to shut down and they didn't find a new one to make their main church so they only periodically go now. But they're still pretty devout.
>>
Le level of fundamentalist Christianity is the US is atrocious, and IN THE US, I would argue christianity has the power to fuck over a lot more people than Islam (pretty much anywhere else in the world it's the opposite of course).

Abstinence-only sex education? (and then crying about single mothers)
Being against contraception?
Being in favour of teaching creationism in school?

It's pure unadulterated fucking autism.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.