[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is driving a truck the solution for robot boredom and to stop

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (463KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
463KB, 3000x2000px
is driving a truck the solution for robot boredom and to stop feeling like youre not much of a man?

>travel in a monster sized vehicle
>shifting an 18 speed seems like something manly to know how to do

ive only drove a manual car a few times and i stalled quite a few times but would love to drive a truck. i would love to know how to shift an unsyncronised transmission. how do you learn it? wpuld i stand a chance if ive really only drove automatic cars?
>>
every jim bob jackass in the world had the same idea as you, good look getting a job
>>
File: 1493341259443-k.gif (29KB, 482x800px) Image search: [Google]
1493341259443-k.gif
29KB, 482x800px
>>37457213
This guy is a retard.
>>37457188
There's a good number of companies that will train and hire you as long as you stay with them for a certain amount of time. However it's more than likely that you'll practice on a manual (more than likely not an 18 speed, they're very out dated) and then drive an automatic. But the boredom is insane. Driving, fucking around on the on board computer, and sleeping is about all you do.

>6 months of experience, go to third party and telling them I might be looking for another job and then getting calls from 50+ companies with job offers
>tfw
>>
>>37457188
muslim here

feeling a bit lonely myself. should i do it?
>>
inb4 robots taking your job in a couple years

jk that's a techno utopian fantasy
>>
File: colonge.png (523KB, 667x498px) Image search: [Google]
colonge.png
523KB, 667x498px
>Robots take the truck driving jobs
>but not the robots you think
>pisjug bots take em
>>
I worked in logistics and operations management while on a two-year break from university.

The small company I worked for had a fleet of about two dozen trucks, which was comprised both of our own drivers as well as owner-operators.

Our company drivers made between $45,000 and $70,000 per year. Some blew the money on drugs and prostitutes while others were responsible and saved for proper homes, nice cars, and semi-trucks of their own.

Despite the decent earnings, a common complaint of truckers is that they're underpaid. While that might sound silly to you, considering the numbers I just tossed away, it isn't unreasonable: many work upward of 70 or 80 hours per week, are away from home for two or three or four weeks at a time, and are sometimes left sitting by dispatch with nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs for free while their greedy boss looks for a better load.

If you want to learn to drive, you need a CDL (assuming you're in the United States). Companies like Prime, Schneider, and C.R. England offer subsidized or free training classes for truckers, contingent upon the completion of a 1-2 year employment contract (if you back out, you pay the cost of training - usually $5,000 or so). Roehl Transport pays drivers for their classroom training as well as OTR training.

You don't make a lot of money your first year - usually $40,000 at the top end. You might also get fucked and get hardly any miles, or be pressured into leasing a vehicle, a la C.R. England.

All things considered, it's a shit lifestyle for most people, but some enjoy it.
>>
File: image.png (247KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
247KB, 500x375px
>>37458411
would i stand a chance if ive only drove a manual car teoce on the road and at first stalled a lot? ive moved diesel pickups around at work a few times and liked how i never had to give them any throttle to start off

id love to drive one and be able to shift one but id be afraid that id be a failure and have to pay them fpr the trainibg pr sucl balls at parralell parking one or backing with a trailer

also have you ever drove a twin stick? it looks hard as fuck
>>
>>37458501

Never drove a truck but a lot of the newer ones are automatic, so you don't have to deal as much with shifting and clutch shit.

Almost went to truck-driving school myself, but backed out when I thought about the repercussions of singing myself away on a year-long contract with Prime.

By the way - if you go to a truck-driving school, enjoy being stuck doing team runs with your trainer for three or four months straight.

That's 20 hours in a truck with a stranger every day for three months, nonstop.
>>
I think there's a series of truck simulation games for the PC out there that are very eell thought of if you want to see fpr yourself.

And here is a video of the latest!

https://youtu.be/De3CsOH7vqc
>>
>>37458577
id rather drive a manual

and how the hell do you function on 4 hours of sleep a day for months? wherebthe hell are you driving anyways on team runs?
>>
File: 0jfGXDcu.jpg (55KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
0jfGXDcu.jpg
55KB, 640x640px
Driving trucks must be so peaceful.

But I'd be too tempted to browse /r9k/ and get into an accident.
>>
>>37458627

That's four hours out of the truck - not four hours of nonstop driving.

With team runs, one driver drives and the other chills out in the back of the cab and sleeps.

The USDOT has rigid restrictions on how many miles per day individual truckers can go, as well as limits on the number of hours they can spend behind the wheel without rest.

Drivers have to maintain log books, which are records of how far they've driven and at what hours. While it is possible to forge logbooks, most companies are moving to electronic logbooks (I think there's a law which says they're mandatory by 2018 or something).
>>
>>37458695
oh okay thanks

also did you ever hear of anyone gping to the driving school that failed or couldnt do it and had to pay them back?
>>
You'll get a job really easily. When I look for jobs about 3/4 of them are looking for truckers. The pay isn't too bad but the lifestyle is pretty awful. You'll end up overweight and diabetic by 30.
>>
>>37458627
You're only allowed 10 hours in the states not CA of driving. 14 hours total on dudy. you need at least 8 hours in the sleeper of off duty. fuck up on your log book you're fined 600 bux per PAGE!.

Do bus
>>
>>37458501
The companies that train and hire will normally let you retest as many times as you need. They make serious money off of you. You make easily half of what their company drivers make while they still make the same amount off the freight. Also, if you quit you will have to pay back tuition costs in full before you get any other CDL job.

Many trainers will say that it's better if you're not used to a manual because you'll retain habits that you can't use with unsynchronized transmissions, but in my opinion it's better because you'll have some knowledge on how a clutch works and why you need it.

Also, you normally don't sign a contract that puts you under obligations to pay them back for tuition cost until you get hired. If you can't pass the test they'll either send you back or tell you to back your bags and that you're shit out of luck, but if they were to do the latter you could literally call up another company that offers a training program and they'll give you a bus ticket to their terminal.

If you're thinking of this, I'd recommend staying away from CR England personally. They have a short contract length but you make low money even by training standards, and even then once you become a company driver your wage is still an absolute joke. But then again, each training program is going to have its ups and downs. CR England is just the only one I can testify for.
>>
Hope you have $8000 dollars for truck school. And its a lot harder than it looks, you gotta be able to drive those things in tight areas, back them up, not smashing anything. You have a lot of liability driving a truck down the road with $500,000 worth of goods.
>>
>>37458758
thats not what i meant i meant that how hard is it to learn shifting and backing a trailer
>>
>>37458741

Some people do fail driving school, although I think it's more common for folks to be disqualified in the first few days for health reasons or background checks.

So far as I'm aware, most company-sponsored driving schools won't charge dropouts or failures for the cost of an incomplete driving school, although they might make you refund cash advances; they may or my not buy you a return ticket back to your home state.

I'm not the best persons to ask, though.

Like I said, I've worked on the dispatch and management side of trucking, not the driving side.
>>
>>37458758
I ended up dropping from 190 to 150 in like 4 months,but it is really easy to get carried away and eat shit food all day.
>>
I always see this peddled on here as a "robot job" and I can tell you it definitely isn't. It requires an insane amount of discipline which is something people on here have none of. You need to go to sleep at 7:00 p.m. most nights and have no free time. My uncle was a truck driver and he died in his forties.
>>
>>37458784

I also believe the dearth of drivers nationwide means that most companies which provide driver training have many of their costs subsidized by the federal government - sometimes to the extent where they're even profiting off providing training.
>>
>>37458789
Handling trucks isn't easy.

>>37458827
When you're sitting or laying down literally the entire week for months on end and the only food you can eat is shitty sugar and fat saturated garbage from truck stops, you're going to get fat, fast.
>>
Where's truckerfag when you need him?
>>
>>37458866
Cans of soup are under normally $2 a piece and are usually under 400 calories.
A case of water is like $4 and water has zero calories. It's also very easy to forego eating.
Just don't stuff your face with junk food and you'll be fine.
>>
>>37458828
This, I have a brother who is a truck driver, and it's a surprisingly stressful job. I always though something like IT would be more along the lines of a robot job. Just a basic helpdesk fag who maintains his 3 CompTIA certs for the rest of his life making 17 an hour.
>>
>Live in Canada
>Companies will pay you to get your trucking license if you agree to work for them?
>Too scared to drive

My brother got his trucking license and air brake endorsement but then he got a higher paying job unrelated to trucking. I was looking to go on long ass road trips.
>>
>>37459087
was it hard to learn for him? had he drove many manual cars before
>>
Truckers barely get any time off and work long hours. I doubt many robots want to live a life with just one day off a week. Hell, my trucker friend doesn't even get that some weeks. And then your reward is dying from DVT instead of retiring. Also, if you go across the border, you get to enjoy dealing with border patrol cunts who have an even worse job than you. Naturally, fucking you over as hard as they can is their favourite pass time.
>>
>>37459171
It said it was easy to learn. He had driven bobcat loaders and forklifts before, but never manual vehicles. you get lots of classroom learning and plenty of time 1 on 1 with a guy teaching you in the vehicle.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.