[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone go from being a software dev to a being a auto mechanic

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1481422839414.png (5KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1481422839414.png
5KB, 1000x1000px
Anyone go from being a software dev to a being a auto mechanic ? How was it ? Do you regret it ?
>>
>>37448500
Why would you do that?
Auto mechanics are dying out unless of course you get in with the dealership then your job is pretty much secure otherwise it'll get to the point where vehicles become non-serviceable by regular joes.
At least with a software dev you'll always be in demand unless of course there is a global computer crash that sends us back to the 1920s then an auto mechanic would be a wise choice.
>>
>>37448573

bored with software dev

being a mechanic feels more manly

disliking working at an office

worried about getting outsorced
>>
>>37448622
Become a diesel mechanic or even a farm equipment mechanic if it's applicable.

Regular every day mechanics are miserable unless they own a shop (rare) or they're a dealership's golden boy. Otherwise it's jiffy lube tier shit work every day for zero respect or reward.
>>
>>37449160

are you a mechanic ? How did you get into it ? Did you switch from any other field ?
>>
>>37449254
Nope, personally a drop out failure with zero credentials to be giving out advice, I've just known and talked with the different kinds of mechanics and the ones that were always better off specialized in something specific and in demand. The 'I want to work on cool cars' kids from school days all wound up at shit tier jobs changing fluid and belts all day.
>>
>>37449352

well thanks for the advice

think its worth it to switch from software dev ?
>>
>>37449429
Hard to say. As a kid I always liked computers and vidya so I entertained the idea of that being my life until I realized I didn't have the chops to be a code monkey/sysadmin and low tier computer jobs like IT or working in retail were off the table. 'Software Developer' is one of the highest paying jobs in the country but you obviously have to be able to get into a huge company or a successful start up.

As time goes on I personally find myself wanting to make art/music/writings even though even as a kid I knew that wasn't a remotely viable choice if you wanted security and money. All comes down to what keeps you happy and paid on a day to day basis.
>>
>>37449559
>As time goes on I personally find myself wanting to make art/music/writings even though even as a kid I knew that wasn't a remotely viable choice if you wanted security and money

yeah I wish I had talent in writing as well
>>
>>37449632
Oh, I can't do any of those things worth a damn. My writing is generally correct from a technical standpoint but truly squeezing words and language to tell a story is another beast entirely. I always loved art and music but never took the time to get good and any of those three things require huge dedication to master.
>>
Why not become one of those guys who installs hacked firmware updates to John Deere tractors OP?
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware
>>
How do I become an auto mechanic?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.