[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone play any instruments or trying to learn to? I'm

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2316.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2316.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Anyone play any instruments or trying to learn to?

I'm learning the violin, paying for my lessons. I always wanted to play but Munich parents didn't want to pay for lessons. They also thought playing it was something a homosexual would do.

Now that I moved out I can play and practice freely.
>>
I play the guitar, some bass and piano and also produce music.

I'm kinda new at production but I've been writing for a while so it's easy to make progress. I kinda feel bad for starting now that I'm old and depressed, if I started producing at 15 I'd be making some serious good shit by now.
>>
I play piano
My wrists hurt
>>
>>37447401
Nice that's awesome. You ever feel that you should focus your time in one instrument so that you're a master at that instead of decent at more than one? The bass and guitar are very similar though. Production seems really cool.

>>37447467
How long have you been playing?
>>
>>37447635
>You ever feel that you should focus your time in one instrument so that you're a master at that instead of decent at more than one?
Never did that. I've never had friends so I always knew that I had to be a jack of all trades if I wanted to ever make decent music.
>>
>>37447369
Yes, I'm learning to play piano. I take group lessons at the local community college. It's not bad, but you have to practice a lot. It was really hard at first but now it's getting easier. I can only play really simple music and still get "lost" on the keys sometimes. I've been playing for a few months now.
>>
>>37447369
I play saxophone, but when I moved to my new university i just stopped. And honestly the inability to join bands and play has really fucked everything up about me and I have no enriching hobbies now.

I'm going to practice an hour a day over the summer though and try and get into a jazz group at my current university, but I suppose i have a lot of work to go if I want to do that
>>
>>37447369
I thought parents were always supportive when it came to learning instruments, that sucks man.

I play the saxophone. I'm kinda good but can never find the guts to play publicly, so I play for my enjoyment.

>>37447659
Do you aspire to be a musician? Tell me about piano, how do you do it?
>>
>>37447659
I think about the piano when I play violin, The whole and half steps.
>>
I'm going to university for music. Classical guitar is my main instrument.
Most of the other guys in the guitar program play out or are in bands, and I haven't really done shit with my skills. Some of them say I'd be great playing with people but I've never been interested. I like playing a lot of stuff by myself.
I have a few original songs that I need to record and put lyrics to. It's a lot of guitar arrangements for now. I got a synth a few weeks ago (korg minilogue) and I've already made a few things with that.
The problem with being a robot musician is that I need to talk to people, play out, and have more confidence. If I don't have those things, then it's mostly pretty pointless.
>>
>>37447369
I play piano on a shitty midi keyboard my family got me for christmas. There are lots of great tutorials and websites for beginners, I just wish I had a real piano. Real pianos sound better and are more fun to play.

I also play someone else's ukelele sometimes.
>>
Do you let other people know you play? I keep it alone.
Anyone taking lessons?
>>
>>37447369
Buiumppdndbshs snwidux
>>
>>37447966
Use a DAW nigger.

>>37448149
It's one of the first things I tell to people. I hope someday I'll meet someone who's interested in making music or something.
>>
>>37448805
Why? Are you very good? What do you play?
>>
>>37449151
Guitar and some other stuff. I'm decent I guess but I'm good at song writing.

The issue with most music fags I've met is that they just wanna play some really technical stuff, but most music is actually easy as fuck to play. Maybe it'd be easier to teach someone to play some simple stuff but at this age most people don't wanna learn shit.
>>
>>37449408
Do you at least practice hard things or take lessons? You sound like a normie that can only play like 5 chords
>>
>>37447401
This. I'm 24, only been taking lessons at my school for a year and I get frustrated because I can't write or play anything comparable to the people that have been in music since they were kids.
>>
>>37449489
Dude I've been playing for like 6 years, I obviously can play a lot of shit. But I'd still much rather sound like, let's say, The Strokes, than Dream Theater.
>>
>>37449561
6yrs isn't that long for an instrument. I guess it might be for a guitar, if you practice like 2hrs a day.
>>
>>37449610
6 years is enough to play anything you'll ever hear on the radio.
>>
i have a guitar and know some basic chords
i also can play the recorder pretty well (i've been playing it since 1st grade in school and i guess i went autistic on it since i can play serenata k525 with it...)
>>
What is the ultimate loner instrument? I'm not planning on ever playing with someone else and I want to learn something that sounds good solo.
>>
>>37449640
We'll yeah that's not saying much. There are millions of guitar players alone in the USA who have the skills to play a song on the radio.
I mean playing challenging pieces that you normally don't hear on the radio.
But whatever I mean you play guitar, the most normie and basic instrument
>>
>>37449727
piano

it's by far the most versatile
>>
>>37449736
I know it's not saying much, I just think anything beyond that is unnecessary.
I really like this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g4L47kEcS0
This is how I wanna sound, sort of. Anyone with like 2 years of playing on and off could play it easily.
Now, these guys have probably more skill than any of those 20 years old music fags who were Iron Maiden fans as teenagers and moved to classical music later on when playing metal solos wasn't hard enough, but I just wanna play four chords and sing about roasties not giving me the time of day.
>>
I play guitar and have been thinking about picking up violin or keyboard. I feel like I'm at the point now with guitar where I can learn anything with enough time, but haven't been feeling inspired enough to learn anything new. I just play the same shit over and over everyday
>>
>>37449727
Piano
Cello
Violin/Viola
Saxophone
Organ
>>
>>37449808
I can respect that, make a song for us one day, don't forget us
>>
I'm studying French horn at university.
>>
>>37449736
both you and the other anon should knock off this dick measuring right now.
the other anon had a point that "most music" is easy as fuck to play as in not very technical

if you want to play anything technically challenging you will want to have put YEARS into the instrument before even attempting to say "I am kind of good"
I have been playing guitar on and off (mostly off) for 10 years or so now and I am not very good at all. I can play some scales and know a great deal of chords and progressions but my strumming has and always will be shit and my singing is abominable and my songwriting is shit too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WtxjCGevY8
>related
if you aren't as good as this you might as well not bother saying you are "pretty good"
>>
>>37449875
I don't even play guitar, I play the cello and have been for 11 years. Unlike normie fretted instruments you have to practice practically everyday.
Whatever though, as long as you realize you aren't as talented as a cellist it pianist whose played for the same amount of time and intensity, it's ok.
>>
>>37447803
I actually fell into it almost by accident. My academic adviser said I needed some more credits in arts, I asked what was available and she started listing them off, when she said "choir" I decided to go for it even though I hadn't done any singing since middle school (and I was really bad at it then). I guess I did it on a whim.

After a few weeks I realized that it would be much easier to improve if I had an instrument to help "tune" my voice and play the correct notes, like a piano, but I didn't have any instruments. The next day when I was in choir my professor announced that they were starting a new piano class in a timeslot that I only had available that quarter because I had decided, also on a whim, to take one of my courses online instead of on campus. She said they needed more students otherwise they'd have to shut down the class so I went for it. Before then I didn't think about being a musician at all, but I don't regret joining the classes. It's unfortunate, but they only had one quarter of choir classes so I haven't done any more singing since but I've kept up with all the piano classes they've offered instead.

Playing for an audience sucks too, it's so hard. Sometimes it gets so bad my hands start shaking. You can know a piece 100% but when there's other people around suddenly it's like your hands don't work anymore.
>>
>>37450133
but now you are just comparing apples to oranges which is doubly retarded. just because someone has practiced X amount of time on one instrument doesn't make them more proficient than someone who spent the same time on a different instrument.

Why have I never seen you at the LA philharmonic? because no matter how hard you practice on your 'non-fretted' instrument you are still shit, that's why
>>
>>37450171
Doesn't matter
Just accept it takes a lower talent threshold to learn the guitar compared to other instruments
>>
>>37450239
you can practice your whole life on any instrument of your choosing and you will not sound like the guitarist in the link I posted.

Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>37450277
Yeah because a guitar is a different instrument.

Just accept that it's harder to be good certain instruments compared to others.

Guitar is practically the easiest to learn. Of course it still takes years to "master" it, but it's easy to play.
>>
>>37450374
>just accept that it's harder to be good certain instruments compared to others
not unless you practice. and even then there is only a certain threshold that you can individually meet. nobody is reinventing the wheel just arranging notes in a "new" fashion

whatever get back to practicing whatever instrument you disgrace you cretin. good music died with Mozart in 1791 and now all we have are hacks like you
>>
>>37450410
It's more technically challenging to play something like that violin/cello/viola/Double Bass compared to the violin.

This is literally a fact
>>
>>37450410
ALso showing your pleb colors. Guitarfags can't help it. Go listen to Metallica or the Beatles lol
>>
>>37450442
those are all bowed instruments that have different registers and different "purposes" within the body of the symphony

I think you are literally a retard, that is a fact.
>>
>>37450466
stop samefagging nigger
>>
>>37450476
That's an idiotic way to say they sound different and play differently. And have you never heard of solo music before?

Going through your 15yrold guitar phase?
>>
>>37447369
I always thought violin sheet music was written in violin clef, not treble. Good luck to you but don't forget to work on improv. I've noticed a lot of concert and orchestral musicians are terrific sight readers but can struggle on that aspect
>>
I've heard it's hard to learn violin after a certain age. Someone even told me it's impossible.
>>
>>37450550
It's hard to learn the violin at any age.
>>
>>37450515
you are trying way too hard to impress... nobody? link us to your soundcloud or fuck off back to practicing.

your argument is that there are some instruments that are harder to play than others.. which is not really the case when you are dealing with all the same chords, notes, scales, keys, tempos, etc.

if you wanted to compare a sitar to a guitar say..? that might fly only because they are so radically different then someone might but that. but saying X is harder to play than Y based off of your nothing arguments is retarded and you are retarded and I won't entertain this discussion any longer
>>
>>37450591
>your argument is that there are some instruments that are harder to play than others.. which is not really the case when you are dealing with all the same chords, notes, scales, keys, tempos, etc.
You're a moron bro.

There are so many techniques you have have to learn just to play twinkle twinkle

You have to know where a note is by the millimeter without a fret board helping you.

God you're dumb. Whatever it's over
>>
>>37450668
you think the fret board is the end all be all of music proficiency? jesus christ no wonder why you suck at whatever instrument you play.

I still see no link to the amazing music that you produce.. oh wait.. you don't produce any amazin music you just shitpost wildly and pretend to know what the fuck you are talking about.. on an anonymous imageboard full of virgins and anime waifuloving neckbeards no less!

WOW
>>
I play violin fag. Keep practicing, it is arduous.
>>
>>37450591
How are you getting this baited holy shit.

Instruments being harder to play is a legit argument anyways. It obviously takes more skill to play a sitar than a guitar. And the only reason to play an instrument is difficulty, because if you want sound output you'd rather stick to software.

Or to impress chicks, I guess. Why do anything if not to impress chicks. Playing Wonderwall on an acoustic guitar will always be hotter than playing the mandolin or whatever the fuck.
>>
>>37450726
There are how techniques that defy intuition, there are passages where your're hitting 12 notes a completely separate notes a second in the space of 3 centimeters.

I don't think you understand just how complicated a string instrument is to play. Pure normie
>>
>>37450780
>Playing Wonderwall on an acoustic guitar will always be hotter than playing the mandolin or whatever the fuck.
yeah if your objective is to pull a stacy with absolutely buttfuck retarded taste in music then sure I agree with you.
>>
>>37450811
a guitar is a string instrument btw
>>
I've played trumpet, trombone, bass, drums, and piano in the past, but lately I've been wanting to learn how to make chiptune music. I've downloaded famitracker but haven't gotten around to actually making anything yet.

>>37447467
>piano
>My wrists hurt
You're doing it wrong, fix your form.

>>37447795
I went through the same thing and I've got the same plan, only with trombone. Here's to us making it. I noticed that my college's jazz band was almost entirely people over the age of forty last year, so I don't know if the guy doing admissions is ageist or if it just so happens that young people don't play instruments as much.
>>
>>37450812
I guarantee you that there are zero attractive girls out there who give half a shit about music proficiency when it comes to picking a partner.
>>
>>37449665
Wtf post that to youtube man
>>
>>37450860
>>>
>Anonymous 06/02/17(Fri)11:32:19 No.374508
and yet you're still a virgin. should I even be listening to anything you have to say?
>>
>>37450886
I got laid playing When I See You Again to a hot dumb bitch.
>>
>>37450933
lying on the internet? instead of practicing your triangle/tambourine? fucking pleb
you are like the Yoko of /r9k/ right now
>>
Random observer here are you guys for real? Stringed instruments are all pretty similar. There's a reason a lot of guitarfags also play the violin for example.

>>37450591
>dealing with all the same chords, notes, scales, keys, tempos, etc.

This guy kinda gets it. Because of this the only really "difficult" instrument to learn is your first one. After you completely master it you pretty much can learn any instrument afterwards with ease.

It's just gonna take you 10 years to completely master guitar/violin/sax/flute or whatever your main instrument is desu.
>>
>>37450980
Why would I lie about this shit. Playing the guitar is a good excuse to take a bitch to your room, so I naturally used it when I had the chance. I have a couple of plebshit songs I've got mastered on the guitar for banging purposes.
>>
>>37450933
Yep the piano is actually really good for picking up chicks, although it's really hard to get them to see you play since you can't carry it around. Guitar is still much easier for getting laid since you can carry it around everywhere unlike the piano.
>>
>>37451028
I'm a guitar player and I find the piano much easier than the violin.
>>
What are some good resources online to learn the clarinet? I just bought one on a whim for under 100 bucks.
>>
>>37451028
I am just not going to stand for this argument that Xinstrument is inherently "easier" to play than Yinstrument. It sounds like a true hack who is making excuses. Earlier in this thread I said that I have been playing guitar for roughly 10 years (with serious gaps in between) and I wouldn't even call myself a "decent" player. My brother has 5-10 years on top of that and my cousin(s) have 20 if you look at who taught who.
>>
>>37451088
You're not a good guitar player then.
>>
>>37451153
How can anyone want to play the clarinet after Squidward?
Like, you're a depressed robot, and some girl is gonna ask and you're gonna say like "oh yeah I play the Clarinet" and she's gonna laugh her ass off.

Jeez buy a keyboard or something.
>>
>>37451182
The fuck does that mean?
I find the piano to be much more similar to the guitar than the violin because there's more emphasis on the notes you're playing than how you play them. The tricky part of the violin is not the what, but the how.
>>
>>37451200
I can already play the piano, the guitar, some bass, some cello, and I'm a pretty good producer
I'm not at the "impressing girls" stage anymore
>>
>>37447369
I dont understand how people are discounting the difficulty of violin playing, in this thread.It's regarded as one oof the most difficult instruments to play by practically all professionals.

I mean look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpnIrE7_1YA

Where are you peoople getting the idea that playing the violin is easy, or as difficult as something like the guitar or piano? obviously different pieces require different skill levels
>>
>>37451028
>guitarfags also play the violin
Please, what the fuck

compare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amfCqFUMBkY

to
>>37449875
>>
>>37451232
>more emphasis on the notes you're playing than how you play them. The tricky part of the violin is not the what, but the how.
Exactly this. You can pick up a guitar and play a song well in 1-2 days. You can do the same for violin and it wouldn't sound good for years
>>
File: 1496114678971.jpg (134KB, 1212x607px) Image search: [Google]
1496114678971.jpg
134KB, 1212x607px
>>37450668
you are a moron
clyp.it/04ilcwps
>>
>>37452749
Yeah so much skill bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XivUH1NzMEU

See how long it takes you to do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mnix8pbubQ
>>
Let me put this into perspective

Take a full size piano
cut into 3parts

shrink 2/3 into a 11 foot stick
remove any visible separations

Make the left hand and right hand move in complete different ways,

hey, sounds easy like a piano or guitar or even a harmonica right
>>
>>37450842
>famitracker
annoying as fuck interface. whenever i want to make "authentic chiptunes" i always compose in FL studio first then transfer it to famitracker
>>
i know the basic of the piano like c minor c major it goes like c,d,e,f,a,b major and minor. i don't know any songs.
>>
File: Euphonium.jpg (73KB, 1211x1211px) Image search: [Google]
Euphonium.jpg
73KB, 1211x1211px
I play this thing
currently learning trombone and piano and will probably learn guitar and bass in the future
>>
>>37452310
must not be that hard if roasties can do it. meanwhile there are very few female guitarists. really makes you think
>>
>>37452914
It's only so much harder than singing if you practice the scales not like an adhd monkey I did it before my repetitive strain injury made me have to stop

it only does one voice plus doublestops. It's not gods gift like you think it is
>>
File: 1496116069141.jpg (12KB, 410x415px) Image search: [Google]
1496116069141.jpg
12KB, 410x415px
>>37452914
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVjcIO4MT4
>>
>>37447369
Who else /euphonium/ here?
>>
>>37453228
mean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHJRIlNXwdk
>>
>>37453231
euphonium was my favorite of the brass instruments i've tried. trumpet is too high, tuba is too low, and trombone is too slidey. horn is just bullshit.

are there any good euphoniums out there for cheap?
>>
>>37453196
That's not the point. I'm illustrating how it can be a difficult instrument
>>
>>37450133
Reeeeee fretted instruments make me fucking irate
>>
>>37453518
What annoys me most is when they pretend it's just as hard
>>
>>37453231
Played euphonium all throughout school, absolutely my favorite instrument.

>>37453346
I still have my hs school rental that I forgot to return
>>
>>37447369
not great at guitar but heres what i've made : http://vocaroo.com/i/s1LnHvWUEao5

really happy with the melody starting at 0:35
>>
I play drums and gtr and a little piano. And I sing.
>>
>>37455174
nice semi-cover of the james bond theme
>>
Playing guitar for 8th year. Kinda want to learn violin but I'm too ashamed to tell my parents or if someone saw me and though I was a fag. Maybe some day when I move on my own and no one can see me.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.