[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why not skip high school, get GED, and go to college at 16? There

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: Skipped High School.jpg (28KB, 521x151px) Image search: [Google]
Skipped High School.jpg
28KB, 521x151px
Why not skip high school, get GED, and go to college at 16? There is nothing wrong with being faster and more successful than other people while still having 3 years to fuck around doing nothing.
>>
>>37417613
Is that what you did op? Were you prepared for college? XD
>>
>>37417613
You could hypothetically go right from middle school to college. Definitely to community college, and then you could transfer.

You might turn out to be a sperg tho
>>
good idea on paper, but lets face it. most people who drop out and get their GED don't end up going to college>>37417613
>>
It's not just being book smart. While I don't think 19 year olds are very mature they sure as fuck are more mature then 16 year olds.
>>
>>37417613
a highschool diploma actually looks better on a resume than a ged op
>>
>>37417646
Yes and enough to have a 3.5 GPA with 4 being a perfect A.

>>37417667
Not technically. You can only get your GED until you're 16, and most community colleges require a highschool diploma or GED.

>>37417674
Most people who get their GED go to high school in the first place.

>>37417675
>Implying a robot would go to college to fuck in the first place
>Implying a robot can fuck anyone other than their hands
>>
>>37417720
Having 2 extra years to find a career/job is much better than having a high school diploma.
>>
File: 1427976304545.jpg (85KB, 804x802px) Image search: [Google]
1427976304545.jpg
85KB, 804x802px
>haha yeah i dropped out because im smarter than those dumb normies who graduated
>>
>>37417760
having 2 extra years to live w/my parents and figure out what the fuck I wanted to do with my life was much comfier than getting a ged tho
>>
>>37417613
Dont fall for this meme. I dropped out of hs in 9th grade here i am 19 years old & no GED. just finish school..
>>
>>37417721
He wasnt talking about fucking, he was talking about maturity.

>sperg
>>
>>37417613
High school is the biggest waste of time, but sadly you don't realize it until after you've spent 4 years in high school and graduated.
>>
File: as.png (220KB, 377x325px) Image search: [Google]
as.png
220KB, 377x325px
>>37417613
you can't go to uni with a ged, enjoy community.

t. in this boat rn
>>
>>37417721
Were you actually able to get into a solid uni? Or are you talking about 3.5 in community college. Or maybe uni after you transferred from there?
>>
>>37417721
you are obviously a sperg and probably an outcast at your university
you will miss out on all the networking with new people which is the real reason to go to college
gpa and grades literally don't matter
>>
the weirdest and most uncomfortable guy i ever met was a guy who had gone to my college at age 16 (i think he actually did the homeschool thing, too)

he ate fig newtons out of a fanny pack and stalked an unattractive woman in the registrar's office for like 4 months
>>
>>37417613
I kind of did the opposite: comfy homeschool (mom started out with waldorfshit but dropped it for unschooling) until 9th grade, then public high school. The AP track was piss easy and I got lots of AP credit and scholarships for college.
I think for anyone in HS browsing this thread, if you aspire to get into a good uni with scholarship, the best way to do high school is to take on the maximum academic load and maybe some activities. Unless stuff has changed in the past 5 years you'll spend 1 hour max on homework nightly even with a full load of APs. For your efforts, you'll get nice scholarships and possibly a lot of GEs and prerequisites waived at college, which you can use to graduate early, take 12 unit semesters, or have room to hit your limits in a tough major. If you're doomed to become a robot anyway, you might as well get the maximum reward for the time spent in high school. If you don't aspire to more than CC, though, OP's way is probably better.
>>
are you retarded? any reputable university requires a highschool diploma
>>
>>37417876
Same. That shit only works if you give a fuck about grades/getting ahead in life to begin with At 15 I was depressed and just wanted to stay home and sleep
>>
I got my ged at 17. I went to trade school stuff after that. It's pretty cool.
>>
File: IMG_7764.jpg (58KB, 650x461px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7764.jpg
58KB, 650x461px
>>37417613
Already did this sorta, except I got my diploma with my associates. Special community college program for high school aged students.
The only downsides I noticed when I did it were
>1. Not as many social development opportunities as in normal public high school (no parties, drugs are harder to come by, likely no sex, etc). There are other high school age students but they're typically weird too.
>2. No sports.
But if you don't care for parties or sports then it's a good fit.

>>37417646
it was easier than my high school honors/AP courses tbqh, though I went to a tech guy charter school those two years so isk

>>37417667
It's not as bad as you think since other similarly aged students do the same program/dual enrollment/etc.

>>37417675
you'd be surprised
>>
>>37418174
I'm >>37418359, and
What the fuck?
Where do you go to school?
I was a full AP/Honors student and I had at MINIMUM 2-3 hours of homework per night, typically quite a bit more. More than in actual college courses even.
>>
>>37417613
Because my oneitus was the same grade as me and i didnt even want to think about going to a school without her. i wanted to have a normal social life with my peers as well. My whole friend circle was around my age, so skipping that woudl have been social death

Uhh, no idea how i ended up being a social recluse on r9k though... Maybe i should have actually socialized.
>>
Don't be an idiot OP

If you wanna succeed in life in a world with rules and stuff going against the flow is more likely to harm you in the long run, take it from someone who tried to go against the flow. Rules and instructions exist for a reason

Go to high school, get a diploma get good SAT scores and some college credits via AP exams and go to prom where you and all your friends and enemies can celebrate rites of passage truly becoming frienemies as you go out into the world welcoming change for future generations then go to college and get a degree while having fun alongside every other student who did the same, being an individual will hurt you

Have fun and be happy, don't rush to be better than anyone else, just enjoy the process and live at the same pace as others
>>
>>37418401
t. massachusets probably
I was in a regular public high school in kansas, big enough to have an externally funded AP program, but they still had to literally bribe people to take the courses. Even the ones I remember being hard (bio, english lit, physics c, chemistry) never had time consuming homework. In fact we were given time in class to do the assignments and rarely had much left to do at home. I know some people had trouble, especially when it came to the actual AP tests, but I had always been interested in science while homeschooling, so a lot of it was review.
Some college courses did start out even easier because there was no homework, but upper division physics courses were much more difficult. Not even the homework for the courses where there was any, just the time needed to actually grok the concepts.
>>
>>37417721
>Not technically. You can only get your GED until you're 16, and most community colleges require a highschool diploma or GED.
That true but you can enroll in a high school that lets you take college classes, and then just take all your classes at cc. If your high school doesn't let you do this you could become a home schooled student and do it. Of course it probably varies by state.

So you're a high school student but if you take all the right classes, you get dual credit and it's pretty much just a technicality that you are still in hs.
>>
>>37418496
Although at the same time I dunno OP I got a 1680 out of 2400 on my SAT and at age 22 I have yet to graduate college whereas some kids who took your route graduated college in a shorter amount of time, ironically some of the people I knew who took the SAT and got lower scores already have their degrees

Gap years are bad ideas, also graduation cermonies are nice so I'd recommend trying to get a high school diploma
>>
>>37418554
Nope, central NC. Known better as the "Research Triangle" for a reason I guess. Also being in a STEM charter school in the area probably didn't help.

The teachers were batshit insane yet typically very qualified and intelligent at the same time. My math teacher was an engineer at NASA, my world history teacher had a PhD in History and Master's in Philosophy from Duke, etc etc.
Cool opportunities I guess but unfortunately I didn't actually want anything to do with STEM and the workload was murderous.
Also a 65% male school.
>>
I had a teacher who did that at 14. She didn't feel socially comfortable in high school so she went to college. She said it fucked with her emotionally and she ended up in a cult for a bit. Its best to go with the flow and stay with people your own age/generation.
>>
yep I hate the way it's all set up. it takes much longer than it needs to because of all the filler. if I had the initiative/foresight/what have you, I would have lived out all my dreams and been ready to settle down and start a family at quite a young age. oh well, the chip on my shoulder is part of who I am and in a way it makes me strong
>>
>>37417613
I knew a pretty bright kid in high school

Being precocious has benefits as well as hindrances maybe I'm wrong and I've become an idiot for thinking the mob mentality to be correct but I dunno anymore

Being a snarky brat vs an idiot, although old advice I've gotten which might be worth throwing in is different colors make for a cool picture, I honestly don't know anymore
>>
>>37418670
heh, the most qualified teacher I had was was my physics teacher who had a phd in computer science from OU. The rest, just bachelors from small 4-year schools in kansas and surrounding states.
Most memorable professional experience was the chemistry teacher who had previously been teaching english in japan. All the weebs were so interested and she had no idea why.
I didn't turn out any less weird for being at a normal high school though. Gender ratio and workload probably help some people, but if you're just a sperg through and through then there's no chance of having a normal high school experience under any conditions.
>>
>didn't get GED until 25
>>
>>37418887
I genuinely think I could've been "normal" if I had gone to a normal public high school.
A friend of mine from middle/elementary school did that (he looks/acts very similarly to me, has similar interests, etc.) and he had normal social development, with parties and sex and whatnot. I think I could've pulled that off if I didn't go to a male STEM school then college, but oh well. Gotta look forward and figure out how to make up for it I guess.
>>
>>37417613
Well I'm probably not getting my GED at 16 and going to college early, mostly because I'm 20 and have a diploma.
>>
I took my GED test my junior year and I was 16. I scored too 95th percentile in Science and social studies and got some college credit. Too bad I literally did nothing for the next to years. Currently going to community college part time and working wage cuck job
>>
what the fuck is the point in going to a community college? thats not a real college, just get your diploma and go directly to a real university if thats the lifestyle you want. this is some of the dumbest shit ive ever heard really just comes off as dropout apologist rhetoric
>>
>>37417613
because thats three years of fuccing high school girls faggot. good luck trying to fuck 20 year olds as an autistic 16yo
>>
File: 1479139826163.jpg (81KB, 645x858px) Image search: [Google]
1479139826163.jpg
81KB, 645x858px
>>37417613

>be 16
>try to take the GED
>"You have to take this placement test first"
>pass preliminary test
>"Sir, your score was too high on the test"
>fail second test
>wait two more years
>no more red tape
>pass GED on first try
>>
>>37417899
>implying anyone cares where you did your first two years
>>
>>37419339
Because community colleges costs 1/6th on average, the price of the average university. If you're not a trust fund kid, then saving money is important. State universities, legally have to take their lower division credits, so half of your degree, you can do at the CC. Aside from cost, the teachers there are usually getting started in their fields, and put more time and effort into the classes/students. Finally, you can screw around and try out different classes/electives without running up the bill. You also hone your discipline, so if you're a lazy fuck, then you won't get wrecked instantly in a university.
>>
Probably 9/10 people who drop out, aren't motivated and intellectual enough to do what you're advocating, OP. If some brainy 14 year old, wanted to just skip high school, and go straight to college, and 'fast forward' their life, in that way, then yes, your model would work. How many motivated 14-15-16 year olds, do you know of? High school is there to 'prep' you for university. In many parts of the world, high school is known as 'prep school' for this reason.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.