[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't you convert to Buddhism, /r9k/? It could do a

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11

File: GlaDv3N.jpg (104KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
GlaDv3N.jpg
104KB, 500x637px
Why don't you convert to Buddhism, /r9k/? It could do a lot to improve your lives.

>But isn't Buddhism about removing desire? I don't want to give up my anime/vidya/waifus!
Unless you're aiming for total enlightenment, then you don't have to worry about not having desires. With practice, though, you can help change your more destructive and unfulfilling desires into more creative and fulfilling ones.

>Okay, but what about karma/reincarnation and all that? I'm a skeptic and I don't want to believe something I don't agree with.
The Buddhist path doesn't require you to believe things just because someone told you to. The Buddha himself openly encouraged his followers to investigate his teachings and see for themselves if they were true or not. Besides, much benefit can be drawn from even just the secular practices of Buddhism.

>Fair enough, but isn't Buddhism just for Asians and hippies?
Only if you believe it so.

So, robots, what do you think?
>>
I prefer nihilism thanks.
>>
File: Jesus-christ[1].jpg (22KB, 350x429px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus-christ[1].jpg
22KB, 350x429px
>>37402803
Christ is the true vine. The alpha, and the omega.
>>
Because a religion without God is like a car without wheels
>>
>>37402843
So like a hovercar?
>>
>>37402803
i used to meditate for hours not thinking about anything
>dropped anime
>loss interest in videogames
>stopped browsing here
>i even could fast for days and lost some weight
>no lust,hunger,or bad toughts

but i stopped because my mom forced me to get a wagie job then i had to start browsing here to cope,buyed anime stuff and videogames to spend my money,started doing drugs and alcohol
fuck my life desu
>>
>>37402803
Do I have to worship a fat person?
>>
>>37402862
Yeah but without the hover

It is an immobile car
Captcha: autocar
>>
>>37402803
>Why don't you convert to Buddhism, /r9k/?
I'd do that for a cute husbando, tho I'd always stay agnostic at heart. It's the only religion I'd ever convert to.
>>
>>37402867
Buddha being fat is a Chinese creation

The real Buddha was so thin his eyes caved in
>>
>>37402867
Not at all. Reverence for the Buddha is more a sign of respect, both to him and the potential for enlightenment inherent within you.

Besides, the jolly fat man you see isn't actually the Buddha, rather he's a popular Chinese legend associated with Buddhism.
>>
>>37402863
Why not continue to meditate? It would probably help far more now that you life is full of stress!
>>
Bumping for the benefit of all sentient beings
>>
I would rather focus on others and their needs, instead of looking for 'nirvana' and focusing on pleasure.
>>
>>37402843
It's not really a religion in the sense westerners conceive it. Eastern "religions" are more like philosophies, that you can subscribe to if they work for you. They encourage personal spirituality and don't want to use you like Western and most Middle Eastern religions do.

That's why they're superior. They encourage your self improvement instead of requiring you to become a tool.
>>
>>37403402
Compassion is one of the cornerstones of Buddhist thought, my friend. Helping people is one of the clearest expressions of living within the dharma.
>>
>>37403414
>Focusing on self, instead of helping others in society.

>Superior because of philosophy.

Choose one. Philosophy says that the State of Nature is a bad thing.
>>
>>37403414
I adhere to an Eastern religion that deals mainly with God and I can tell you you're full of shit
Especially in your beliefs about other Western religions
>>
File: Greenpill.jpg (1MB, 900x4100px) Image search: [Google]
Greenpill.jpg
1MB, 900x4100px
>>37402863
Even the littlest amount of meditation has a noticeable effect on me. Been doing it for two or three days in a row and I feel more conscious and relaxed. Like more "woke" in some sense. It's hard to fight the voices inside you that tell you not to do it and give you every excuse no to, but once you manage to stay even if five minutes without a single thought in a meditation session you clearly see the effects it has on you.

>>dropped anime
>>loss interest in videogames
>>stopped browsing here
>>i even could fast for days and lost some weight
>>no lust,hunger,or bad toughts

Meditation is godsent for improving impulse control and the best thing is that it retrofeeds itself. Once you gain enough control you can do other things like fasting that give you even more control over yourself. Fasting is known to help you connect with your subconscious mind easier, that's why it is part of so many spiritual traditions.
>>
>>37403470
In East Asian Buddhism, there is the concept of the Bodhisattva - a being who has voluntarily delayed their own enlightenment for as long as suffering still exists within the world. Helping people is in no way counter to the Buddhist way of life :)
>>
>>37403479
Could you please explain to me why I'm wrong instead of just being an angry cunt? I would be glad to read your points.

>>37403470
> Philosophy says that the State of Nature is a bad thing.
Only if you read commie and pseudo-commie philosophy. Stop reading the cheap misanthropic drivel of washed up worthless academians.
>>
>>37403592
Because all religions aim for self-improvement. That's the point.
>>
File: (You).jpg (11KB, 267x266px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
11KB, 267x266px
>>37403470
>hurrrhurrr everything I don't like is individualistic and selfish
>mindless altruism is better because I say so
>>
>>37403592
Ok, enjoy fighting for your belongings, having no sense of ownership of anything, not having any friends or family, never being safe, always in competition for survival and no morals.

I'm sure it's so much better than what you have now.
>>
>>37403646
No, I just don't find focusing on pleasure and sitting in a room all day while being cynical is constructive towards a just society.

It's better if people looked out for each other, and worked together towards a just society.
>>
File: your post.jpg (693KB, 815x1087px) Image search: [Google]
your post.jpg
693KB, 815x1087px
>>37403665
>>37403712
Woah, you guys totally persuaded me with these posts.
>>
In general I struggle with adapting one single mindset for a long period of time. I enjoy jumping from one to another and taking bits and pieces as I go. My preferred approach is more nihilistic yet somewhat along with what Nietzsche conceptualized as the Ubermensch. I am aware that the universe is, by my perspective, devoid of meaning, but at the same time, I am aware that I am fully capable of creating my own meaning by stitching together components from differing belief systems as I see fit.

Whatever floats your existential boat, anon.
>>
>>37403795
>>37403712
>>37403665
>>37403646
>>37403639
>>37403592
>>37403470
Take a deep breath. Sit with the emotions currently arising in your body.

May all be happy.
May all be healthy.
May all be free of suffering.
>>
>>37403800
I believe in our reptilian overlords control us with microchips. I also believe that the Jews are actually reptiles, and are here to harvest our brains.
>>
File: antarctica.jpg (636KB, 1671x1396px) Image search: [Google]
antarctica.jpg
636KB, 1671x1396px
>>37403800
This is a good approach. Meditation is a great thing and I believe it could help everyone, though I don't believe it is necessary to convert to bhuddism to enjoy its benefits, even if my first encounter with meditation was through a bhuddist center a relative brought me to.
>>37403853
The scariest thing about conspiracy theory is when you realize that there is some very real stuff out there and that the stuff that it isn't true actually is there for disinfo purposes by those who are interested on the official story not being questioned.

It's like when you ask why flights through the polar route (above 78 degrees North latitude) or over inland Antarctica are forbidden and a bunch of faggots start coming up with flat Earth bullshit. Where is disinfo there is a truth that is being hidden.
>>
Because taoism is better?
>>
File: Confucius_Laozi_Buddha.jpg (1MB, 827x1197px) Image search: [Google]
Confucius_Laozi_Buddha.jpg
1MB, 827x1197px
>>37404026
In Chinese social philosophy, Taoism, Buddhism and Confucianism are considered complimentary of each other
>>
>>37403981
But it isn't a conspiracy theory man, it's 100% real. The government is just hiding it from us! I have proof and shit, and have been following them ever since I was abducted.

The reptiles are in my head man, they won't stop talking.
>>
>>37404099
Agreed. We are mortals granted with the power of the immortals. We can create and shape as we see fit.
>>
>>37404196
So are you saying that some immortal Chad created the world? Are the Jews involved more than we could ever know?
>>
I'm not asian so
>>
File: Cascadia.png (28KB, 812x727px) Image search: [Google]
Cascadia.png
28KB, 812x727px
>>37402803
I'm from Oregon, so I'm basically a hippie. What should I read before I make up my mind?
>>
>>37402803
red pill me on buddism OP. I used to be a christian but now I'm very much agnostic. I feel like my personality is very similar to that of buddism but I'm not completely sold. Do I have any obligations if I convert?
>>
>>37404240
No. It's an allegory.
>>
>>37404305
If you want an incredibly clear and concise layout of Buddhist thought, you can do a lot worse than "What The Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula.
>>
>>37404323
Just go to Sri Lanka or India, and go persecute Christians.
>>
>>37402803
>So, robots, what do you think?

Humans are terrible by nature. Everything that humans create reflects this nature. All religions are the product of man. Therefore, all religions are terrible.

Buddhism really is no different. In some non-secular nations where Buddhism is the predominant belief system, young men are conscripted into Buddhist temples and required to abide by their laws, which means these young men are forced to repress any form of sexuality and abandon any lifestyle that might be deemed materialistic. Failure to comply results in legal punishment.

Buddhists also discriminate against homosexuality, because it's contrary to their belief that sex is strictly a tool for procreation. And again, this impacts young men who are conscripted into Buddhist temples against their will.
>>
>>37404323
Buddhism is, at its core, a study of the nature of phenomena. It teaches that our suffering comes from our inability to see the true nature of phenomena clearly, and as a result we built up stress and ill-ease trying to manipulate things which can't really be manipulated.

Think of a family pet. From the day we invite them into our homes, we know that they're going to die. That's just how things work. Yet even still, as they begin to age and slow down, we can't help feel a sense of concern and worry that our beloved companion will soon die. Rather than being able to truly enjoy their company while they're still around, we begin to feel sad and afraid, because we know that they'll soon be gone. Which is ridiculous! You're sad and afraid because you want it to keep making you happy?

With Buddhism, we can learn to look at the causes of wanting to grasp onto things that we know can't be grasped onto, and from then how to not grasp so tightly, giving us a feeling of ease and release. Through practice, we see that perhaps we grasp at our pet's existence because they remind of us of a time when we were still with our partner, and the thought of them dying brings up the pain that we feel at not having our partner anymore. And once we learn that, we can learn to let go of the longevity of our pet - of course, we still look after them and still feel sad when they pass, but the event - which is inevitable - comes as less of a shock to us, and we can accept it more willfully and with grace.

That is the wisdom behind all Buddhist teachings. It is highly adaptable and pragmatic, and can be applied in virtually every facet of life. Learning to see clearly and let go of clingings can only bring peace, not fear.

As for whether there's any obligations, there answer is no. You chose how fully you want to follow the Buddhist path, and if something strikes you as odd or impractical, there's no compulsion to take it up.
>>
>>37402803
converting to anything is a dumb spook
Buddhism won't improve your life
The only person who can improve your life is you
>>
File: IMG_1130.gif (599KB, 500x318px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1130.gif
599KB, 500x318px
>>37404594
Is this enough proof then? Watch his tongue movements in the gif. He accidentally exposed his true nature.
>>
Amituofo.
>>
File: 0060.jpg (37KB, 380x579px) Image search: [Google]
0060.jpg
37KB, 380x579px
>>37404323
Bhuddism is generally not a centralized religion with impositions from authorities like other religions like catholicism or so would be. With bhuddism you just adhere to it, whether it's by one of the many variants (I was introduced to Diamond Way bhuddism) or solo it yourself. Widely speaking, if you meditate or train your mind in order to achieve a higher state of consciousness you are a de facto bhuddist, regardless of whatever religion you profess.

If you are interested in guided bhuddist meditation you could check the Diamond Way bhuddism site for information. You would be surprised to know how often people have a center nearby and never noticed until they read about it.

https://www.diamondway-buddhism.org/

They have this little blue booklet they give you that you are supposed to use during meditation and it's very very helpful. A sister of mine brought me to them and it changed my life forever. Without the practice of meditation I would probably have lost control of myself many years ago and I would probably have killed myself or would be in a worse state than I am today.

Booklet:
https://file.wikileaks.org/file/ole-nydahl-diamond-way-buddhism-cult-teachings/diamond-way-16th-karmapa.pdf

Also, "bhudda" is not just a specific person in history (Siddharta), there have been many other Bhuddas. Bhudda literally means "illuminated". Anyone can become a bhudda.
>>
>>37404076
That's like saying bread and jelly complement peanut butter in a sandwich. They do and you can't have a pb and j without any one part but the peanut butter is still the best of those parts.
>>
Buddhism is only a stepping stone to Taoism.
>>
>>37402803
>Removing Desire
If I lower this any more I'd pretty much be forced to give up on living. Nofap would probably help me out quite a bit.
>karma/reincarnation
Karma is a thing; it takes it's time but its never really late. Reincarnation I'm skeptical of but the possibility of it renders suicide completely moot.
>Buddhism is for asains/hippies
I'm on /r9k/ fuck the Normie's preconceptions. If it helps I'm down to try it
>>
>>37403712
>sitting in a room all day while being cynical
>worked together towards a just society

I think a roastie is behind this post
>>
>>37402834
I don't have any issue with Jesus or the Bible. I was raised Catholic, but haven't attended much mass in the past few months. My faith in God, Jesus, hasn't waned, but my faith in the Church has. The pope us actively going against doctrine's and his rise to the papal throne was very strange. Beyond this Christianity has constantly been plagued by schisms and infighting over petty details. If what Buddhists teach isn't religion but a way of life, perhaps I can be a Buddhist in mind/spirit and a christian at heart.
>>
>>37405160
The "desire" thing is really only the most rudimentary of translations. The idea of "removing desire" doesn't necessarily mean not wanting things; rather it means more letting go of established patterns and ideas about yourself that are keeping you in a state of suffering.

If you're looking for the most basic of introductions, then I'd recommend one of the many guided meditation apps. Headspace is a good one, since it offers an introductory 10-day course of ten minute meditations when you download it.
>>
>>37402803
I'm a former Buddhist.

Out of all the different schools and shit, Zen is the most no-nonsense. If I had to pick one I would go with that. I also like quite a bit of the aspects of Shinto as well though. I just don't believe in Buddhism or or anything enough to say that I am a Buddhist. There's definitely lots of good stuff to learn and take away from it though.

It's definitely the most robot-friendly religion, but lots of people misinterpret it.
>>
>>37403402
>>37403463
Helping others to do what exactly? I never understood that. Here's one simple trick that resolves ALL human problems in the long term : antinatalism.
>>
>>37405603
There is joy in life, I'm sorry none of you can see it.

However, true joy comes in selflessness and love.
>>
>>37405603
If a loved one is going through relationship troubles, you can talk to them about their emotional pain. If you have a passion for a subject, you can spend your time teaching others about it and how it can benefit the world. If an earthquake hits your area, you can spend your time clearing rubble and tending to wounded people.

Life will present you with endless opportunities to help others, regardless of your personal philosophy.
>>
>>37402803
Because I don't need buddhism to be feel numb and patiently wait for the coming of death.
>>
>>37402909
>Buddha being fat is a Chinese creation
The fat buddha is actually Budai, it's a different person entirely.
>>
>>37405646
I don't know what love is. And life is tiring.

>>37405689
I don't have a passion for anything and I live in the middle of a big city in western europe. Tons of normies ask me relationship advice in spite of them knowing I'm a virgin, yet they seem to appreciate my advice for some reason.
>>
>>37404076
advaita vedanta goes well too

I'd skip the confucianism tho
>>
>>37406056
You don't have to all of a sudden become a champion, anon. Compassion isn't all saving the world and feeding the hungry masses.

Something simple as telling a family member they look nice will go a long way down the line. Plus, you need to be compassionate to yourself in order to be compassionate to others. Believe it or not, but corny things like sticky notes saying "you're doing OK!" will positively impact the way you feel about things.
>>
>>37402803
I'm already there
fucking acid and Alan Watts on youtube
>>
>>37405160
>>37405352
My take on the whole "removing desire" is that it doesn't mean to stop wanting to do things, but to remove the negative feelings associated with their lack.

You are more than welcome to do whatever it pleases you, but don't do it to satiate the feelings of need, you must be a complete person and recognize that fulfilling your wishes won't do that because there will always be something else you'll want.

ie: Acquire stuff if you want, as long as don't do it just to feel your emptiness.
>>
>>37407267
>just to feel your emptiness.
I meant "to fill your emptiness"
>>
>>37405646
Peace of mind comes from helping yourself, not others. When you are at peace with yourself, helping others and selflessness comes naturally.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.