[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did you "enjoy" doing math in middle and high school?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: fug.jpg (498KB, 1125x898px) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
498KB, 1125x898px
Did you "enjoy" doing math in middle and high school? If so why? I don't see how math can be enjoyable. It's tedious and gives me no satisfaction. I feel like people who pretend to enjoy it are lying to themselves.
>>
>>37366771
it felt like some success when finishing a problem and getting an okay-ish answer

it still feels nice to ace a calculus test on uni, even though I failed the subject 2 times already
>>
>>37366771
I think people enjoy it because there's an answer. It's more absolute than anything else, so when you figure it out and get it right, you've got it right. Compared to maths, your results in anything else are seriously debatable and you'll never know if you were actually correct.

Maybe. This isn't counting weird high-level maths were different numbers start meaning the same number, or you get those strange mathematical concepts.
>>
I enjoyed being able to put together information and generate a precise logical result. I think it's one of the closest things you get to intellectual stimulation in school as most things just amount to remembering very arbitrary pieces of information.
Higher-level math where you start dealing with abstract objects, recognizing the patterns and seeing how much you can say from basic assumptions or how much you can generalize etc is pretty fun if you're autistic enough. I think everybody can enjoy a good clean line of reasoning however.
>>
>>37366771
the more I learn about math the more I can visualize complicated pictures in my head, and I like the way it feels to learn it. I hate learning it though,I get frustrated too fast.
>>
File: 1495757674339.jpg (216KB, 563x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1495757674339.jpg
216KB, 563x1000px
Did calc 2 come easy to you?
If not you are a normie who complains about "when will I use this in my wagecucking? ? LOL"
>>
>>37366771
>faked being retarded throughout 8th grade math
>passed out of pity
>didnt learn shit

Welcome to texas
>>
Math always always always always follows the rules. It is completely orderly. It is the only subject where one can learn unbreakable, perfect truth. In a home with an axe crazy brother and an alcoholic mother, order and truth appealed to me.
>>
I'm 24 and I've enjoyed math ever since I was young. I like solving puzzles so it feels similar to me. That's probably why I got into programming as well.
>>
>>37366977
>>37367327
>>37367366
>>37367649
>>37367670
So being able to have order, structure, and a logical answer makes mathematics enjoyable to you. Figured as much.
>>
>>37366771
Hated math all through out high school.

Started teaching myself math after I graduated.

Now I love it. It gives you a deep understanding of the world, OP. Not to mention, it gives you a lot of abstract reasoning tools that betters your life in other areas (I can compose music pretty well, too, by visualizing music and sounds in the same way I do with math).

In fact, I enjoy math so much now, It's truly a past time for me, I'll study some math to blow off some steam if something is stressing me out, or if I just want to take a break from life. Math is /comfy/ desu.
>>
>>37367784
No that is not quite what I said you mass replying memer.
>>
>>37368165
It is exactly what it boils down to you imbecile. What else could it boil down to.
>>
>>37366771
easy math

shit like finding averages

once you start adding degrees and letters of the alphabet, you can fuck right off
>>
>>37369160
The order and structure itself don't make it enjoyable. Actual mathematics is more of a creative enterprise, with abstract structures merely being the object of focus.
>>
doing easy worksheets that you can just zoom through are pretty fun
>>
>>37366771
It's like MMO grinding or playing JRPGs. You do a certain procedure and you get a number at the end. I have no idea why it's enjoyable, but it is. Probably autism.
>>
>>37366771
It felt good understanding the process and steps but I couldn't get into it considering how fast and how much they wanted you to remember after a week or two for a test.
>>
>>37369613
I usually worked at a slower pace but I was more accurate when I did so and I ended up failing my math classes until college.
>>
>>37366771
>>37367452
Math was for the most part very easy for me. I could not do the homework and ace the tests. This persisted until I hit Calc 2 in college and failed the course. I repeated the course and man that shit was tedious as fuck.

>>37367670
I graduated with a CS degree. I enjoy programming as well, I think I just prefer applied science over theoretical science.
>>
>>37367853
Fucking this.

Btw, did your teachers try to teach math via sheer memorization? That kinda ruined it for me.
>>
Math actually becomes very comfy once you get past all the things they expect everybody to do like Calc III.
>>
>>37366771
It's satisfying and enjoyable to do well in maths, knowing the working out in your head perfectly, writing it all down and putting your answer was honestly one of the best things in high school for me
still only got a pass though lol
>>
>>37366771
i like it because autism

but only certain type of math like number theory, power series, analysis stuff

i hate algebra and calculus because i have a hard time visualizing systems/graphs
>>
I was bullied hard in middle school and so I lost all will to excel in academics, especially math. It took me until 11th grade to realize that I needed to snap myself out of my funk, but I am depressed knowing that I never was able to show off my true potential in highschool. At least I shined as brightly as I could in senior year, grades and social aspect wise. ;_;
>>
>>37366771
Some subjects come easier to me than others, and at that point it can be enjoyable to just work.
>>
>>37366771
Learning math helps you understand how reality works. You can model anything using mathematics.

Outside of the theoretical or high-level side of things, math questions are like puzzles and it's interesting to see how to solve them.

I'm guessing that doing a bunch of mechanical operations isn't the most enthralling thing in the world for you but when the way to solve something clicks in your head it can be interesting. Is that necessarily fun? I'm not sure.

But I'd just echo what >>37367853 wrote and say that math gives you tools to alter your perception of the world in strange and amusing ways. I don't really find it fun but for some reason I'm drawn to it. It's not the easiest subject for me but I'm always interested in learning new concepts and seeing how they can be relevant for me and the things around me.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.