[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Personal Finance thread It's nice to see what /biz/ could

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: sby981bw.jpg (74KB, 414x323px) Image search: [Google]
sby981bw.jpg
74KB, 414x323px
Personal Finance thread

It's nice to see what /biz/ could be like without crypto memes and pump and dump scams. Post income, plans for the future, and questions about money
>>
>>37360519
Should I by stocks in CNN or Fox news
>>
Don't have friends. Don't have a gf. Don't have a social life. This will save you lots of money.
>>
I have 5k eth so im doing ok
>>
>>37360560
Buy stocks in the military industrial complex
>>
>>37360519
Unironically 30k out of my 50k savings into bitcoin.

>tfw wrote down the day you'd buy it and the price
>tfw would now have $300,000
Not again...........
>>
>>37360732
wait you spent 30k in actual money or just think you have 30k in "value"?
>>
File: 1489707878353.jpg (362KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1489707878353.jpg
362KB, 1106x1012px
>>37360519
I wish they would just make a fucking crypto board already. I don't go on biz much any more cuz it's all crypto bullshit.

i work in corporate finance and primarily trade and invest in leveraged etfs. I can answer some qs on either of those subjects.
>>
i just started a job taking home $1500/week

hope to put $1000+/week into savings after i pay everyone i owe (don't owe much, maybe a couple thousand)
>>
>>37360778
>leveraged etfs
>try to look this up
>finance mumbo jumbo for days

I honestly don't understand why this shit needs to be so confusing.
>>
>>37360769
No it's what I'm throwing in as soon as it stops going down. I've missed this epic maymay too many times.

Way I'm thinking about it is
>$30k loss
>very annoying but not the end of the world

>miss out on 300k AGAIN
>UNBELIEVABLY annoying
>>
>>37360778
>crypto board
the only problem is /biz/ would die really fast, or succumb to stupid copypasta meme advice like /r/personalfinance has. or just become one of those weird fringe forums that are a mix of cocky fuckers from lookism.net and /fit/. (seriously why do so many male oriented forums go this way?)

it's kind of sad when /r9k/ of all places offers better advice and environment
>>
File: 1494732974560.gif (246KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1494732974560.gif
246KB, 1920x1440px
>>37360841

>1x leveraged is you put in cash and you get 1x the risk and return
>2x leverage put in 1k cash and get double the risk and return (effectively borrowing with derivatives thru investing in the ETF which does that for you) and you pay some fees, compounding becomes more important
>3x leverage 3x risk and return, compounding returns the most important

by risk and return the 2x and 3x is approximate due to compounded return effects. you will have to figure out what compounding means on your own though i'm not typing out a math example rn.
>>
>>37360519
Current holdings:
> Low fee broad market ETFs: $200k
> Rental real estate: $215k
> Income: $53k

> How did you get $400k in assets with that income?
I inherited $200k around 2009 and invested it mostly in index ETFs but took some gambles on undervalued individual stocks. Over the years have doubled the inheritance.

> Future plans
My plan is to quit my industry in the next six months (it's an extremely niche industry with no room for vertical or even lateral movement), sell the rental property and add those funds to my ETFs, move, and retrain for something that will contribute to a higher good.
>>
File: 1494583661216.jpg (137KB, 767x560px) Image search: [Google]
1494583661216.jpg
137KB, 767x560px
>>37360908
i don't think so. I don't post anymore because it's clear that the entire board has just become a pump and dump scheme with no rules on it. people who have no idea what they are doing are wandering into biz and putting their min wage savings on it.

next time the market has a down turn, bitcoin may perform well, but anyone with their money in anything else, including ETH, is going to be annihilated. it's going to happen with 100% certainty at some point in the future, and it will be fun to watch.
>>
also, i would like to add, consider the situation when you would hypothetically be investing in shit like ETH/any other flavor of the week scam that is being advertised there:

you are investing in a "currency". you are trading some liquid currency that you can actually use to go to the store and buy things in real life with, for ownership of some digital concept currency that you can't even use to buy anything.

that is the real redpill on the crypto scam. bitcoin is legitimate above the others because people are transacting in it for real life goods and services.
>>
>>37360519
>Work in my field from home
>Save up rainy day fund (30k)
>Pay off first quarter of student debt (15k)
>Put down payment on house (40k)
>Live in Boulder, Colorado smoking mad bowls and hiking in the mountains

I need 75k of profit to live the literal fucking dream. The thing that gets me up in the morning is dicking around in that city.
>>
>>37361137
>retrain for something that will contribute to a higher good.

Why do you bother?
>>
>>37361349
Since I'm only here once I might as well work towards a meaningful goal. Money is out of the equation, since by all historical precedent my investments will be worth a couple million by the time I hit retirement age, so the only criteria left for finding work is something meaningful.
>>
>>37360650
>this

people ask how I have so much money this is pretty much reason.

I have a decent job and I just work ot and nightshifts to get even more since I have no reason not too. Keeps me busy and around other people too so I dont think lonely I am.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.