[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>try to be funny >fail miserably who /unfunny/ here? I've

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

>try to be funny
>fail miserably

who /unfunny/ here?
I've pretty much given up on ever developing a sense of humor.
>>
File: 1427258659033.jpg (28KB, 680x583px) Image search: [Google]
1427258659033.jpg
28KB, 680x583px
>tfw you're around someone that's actually funny and everyone seems to like them, but you grow to resent them because of the attention they get and end up just seeming like a moody prick

why am i like this
>>
>>37353750
I think that I'm very unfunny and that 99% of my attempts at humor are cringy as fuck, but at the same time I once saw someone on 4chan say that I was the only girl that ever said something he considered funny.
>>
>>37353750
I used to be funny when I was a kid but as I grew older I realised people were actually laughing at me not with me so I became jaded.
>>
>>37353984
same. one person even flat out told me that he was laughing at me and not with me.
>>
>>37353750
Being funny is my only redeeming quality.
>>
File: 66281.png (87KB, 417x234px) Image search: [Google]
66281.png
87KB, 417x234px
>someone says something funny
>everyone laughs
>some start adding on to make it funnier
>everyone laughs more
>I add something
>laughter stops
>>
I've become so unfunny and retarded that some people now love my autistic ramblings. Don't care if they're laughing with me or at me, at least I'm not alone.
>>
I am mildly funny sometimes
>>
>>37354238
I had a classmate like that in college, he was a sperg and rambled a bit but everyone thought he was nice anyway
>>
Foolproof plan for Robots who want to be funny:

>find people who don't know you
>amplify your most autistic qualities tenfold
>sperg out regularly
>every so often, be quiet and act like a normie
>during normie time, mention your "comedic persona" regularly
>"lol anon, how do you even come up with such a crazy character???"
>>
>>37353750
I was the the funny guy in HS. While the attention can be nice, people still don't want to be your friend. It's usually because "you're never serious" or they probably think that you're autistic since you keep making jokes.
You also don't act like you are when you're in the funny mode (which will be all the time because every other thing about you is uninteresting) so you have to be a fake you to be the funny guy.

Not saying you shouldn't be the funny guy, better than being unfunny, but don't have too much expectation.
>>
File: 1348764844816.png (2KB, 244x226px) Image search: [Google]
1348764844816.png
2KB, 244x226px
>>37354416
lol xD only joking
>>
I'm unfunny but luckily for me that won't be found out until my friends start getting annoyed with references
Without references and shitting on terrible shows I'd be unfunny
>>37354416
THROW AWAY THE KEY
>>
>>37353750
I realized when I was a kid that I had a very limited sense of humor. I find certain things funny -- but there's a whole bunch of things that other people find funny that are either baffling to me or are creepy to me.

But regardless, I still like the sense of humor that I have. I can watch a dark tv show like "Rescue Me" or "Orange is the new Black" and appreciate it as being first and foremost a comedy, even though it's loaded with drama too.

But if I try to watch something with a silly, jokey, random sense of humor (like Kimmy Schmidt), I just cringe through the whole thing.

And I absolutely detest any kind of "pranks" or "practical jokes". I simply don't see any humor in telling lies to people, and then watching them react in the obvious way when they learn that they've been lied to.

And in some cases, (like "Sex and the City") I can't even perceive any sense of humor whatsoever. I watched a few episodes of that show -- it was okay, but I found myself not caring much about the characters, so I stopped watching it. Then, when I learned that it had won an Emmy for best **comedy** series, I was absolutely stunned that anyone could even consider it to be a "comedy" show.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 240x320px
>try to be funny
>the idea is actually funny, but my rendition of the comedic fact is amateurish at best

Fuck.
>>
>>37354740
>Sex and the City
Shit I thought that was supposed to be a drama
>>
>>37354807
are you american yeah?
>>
>>37354456
This. Enjoy being a only prop or an accessory. People will also steal your jokes. Being "the funny guy" is suffering. I know why Robin Williams killed himself.
>>
>>37354830
>Shit I thought that was supposed to be a drama

That is EXACTLY what I thought when I watched a few episodes of Sex and the City: "this is obviously a drama".

Then, when it won an Emmy for best ***comedy*** it just blew my mind. Evidently, I simply don't understand what "comedy" is, even though I thought I knew. It's bizarre.
>>
>>37354934
I'm certain you're probably a funny guy and Sex and the City got the awards because there'd be a shit storm otherwise. Even if you aren't funny you're bound to be funnier than a comedy that people thought was a drama
>>
>>37354740
>sex and the city
>kimmy schmidt
>orange is the new black
kys roastie
>>
>>37353750
I can be really funny but it's not something that just happens on demand. It's a spontaneous thing that I can't really control, and if I try to be funny on purpose I suck.

But I'm really good at finding that perfect moment to say the right thing and make a whole room full of people laugh, as long as I'm not trying to. Come to think of it I'm like that with everything I'm good at, if it doesn't happen organically and I try to force it then it's shit.
>>
>>37355004
I thought everyone was like this except for trained comedians
>>
>>37355093
I'm better at finding the moments than most people but yeah, it's not like I could ever be professionally funny.

It's the same with my writing if I you told me to come up with an idea for something on the spot it'd literally be the most garbage shit ever but if you give me like 3 years to go over a bunch of shit ideas and slowly evolve the story bit by bit in my head I can make some pretty good stuff
>>
I used to be pretty funny/class clown through out highschool. But depression and social isolation, as well as lurking boards like /r9k/, have completely shifted my personality and humor into something much weirder, less funny, and dumb.
>>
I find it easy to remember that all comedy is tragedy. So being funny is literally just making fun of someone or something but not enough that people hate you.
>>
>>37353750
Those comics were pretty anti-neet/ mocking the disabled at one point desu. In addition to being shit, I mean.
>>
>>37355004
>>37355157

I can relate to this. I can rather easily time good jokes I make up on the spot, especially puns, but the curse is then that I'm labeled a funny dude and people ask for jokes, which I cannot do at all.
>>
>>37353750
Alright OP listen up. If you want to be funny and charismatic in general, you've got to practice soliloquy. You need to be able to monologue comfortably and switch topics smoothly. Carry a notepad and write (use shorthand, just to jog memory) down anything remotely interesting. May help you in the beginning to jot some details down, i.e. "saw brown female dog taking a shit on grass" instead of "saw dog take shit" but ofc in shorthand it's just "br F d shit grass" or something.

Then when you get home, stand/sit in front of a mirror and flip through your notebook. There's no silver bullet to this next bit, you just have to practice: Monologue about the events in your notebook. You will be cringey, disjointed, and very unfunny in the beginning, but keep at it. Don't focus on actually becoming funny, just focus on being able to to talk at length about anything smoothly. It's important to do this in front of a mirror so you can observe your body language. Once you're smooth, try to incorporate odd angles or parallels. At first it will take you a while to think of anything worthwhile, but this is crucial, comedy is 60-90% timing depending on the mood and context. Doesn't matter what the original topic was as long as it's not too niche (ie NOT FUCKING ANIME) but your observations must be somewhat relateable. White lies are of course permissible for the sake of comedy. "I thought I saw a dog taking a shit, but actually it was giving birth and the smell was leftover from having lunch at subway" is better than "you'd think dogs would have the courtesy to learn to use the toilet" (although the latter is not terrible patter). Lastly, not every line has to be a gut buster, as long as you can keep the patter entertaining and constant you're on the right track.

cont.
>>
>>37355875
Then you're going to go onto the street and just practice getting rejected by people. Ask them for ridiculous things that there's only a 1% chance they'll say yes to and don't go home until you ask a certain amount or someone says yes. A good one is "can you change this $5 note into quarters for me?" and then continue to pester them for larger denominations like 5 $1 bills or what have you. This one is good because you can work towards getting those 20 quarters over multiple rejections as the denominations get more fragmented. This is just to make you not fear rejection and become more confident, also it may help you think on your feet a bit ("what for?" etc...). But really don't give up on someone until they basically tell you to fuck off.

If you have social gatherings once a week or so, don't focus on "testing your skills", just go with the flow and let your developing passive charisma do what it can when it can. The goal is to be funny and charismatic with ease, not all tense and worried they'll "discover you" (imposter syndrome). If you don't have a social circle that meets kind of regularly, then you can easily use sites like meetup.com to find casual interest groups, like groups that will just watch and discuss movies, or play cards, or a group of language learners helping each other etc... Oh and by the way, the lines you practice in the mirror, you're probably not going to want to deliver in social situations because the subject is so not worth bringing up, you just can't open like that because everyone will think you're weird and white lies are more obvious. Needs to be natural and relevant observations for a real convo.
>>
>>37355763
the best way I find to deal with it is to make really "so bad they're good" surface level puns ironically sort of like dad jokes when I want to be funny on demand.

If you have a reputation for being really funny then people think because you're a funny guy being unfunny on purpose then that's really funny.

It's really great when you can make a joke land though, me and my brothers/dad were all in a car recently and somehow the conversation turned to to stupid shit about uranus and poop, typical stupid retarded brother shit. So I just said "It's finger lickin good" and everything devolved into hysterics

And yes my family is wierd, don't judge me.
>>
>>37353750
I know how you feel, Pastis.
>>
>>37353885
>girl
I'm sure you're hilarious <3
>>
File: my friend.jpg (72KB, 596x580px) Image search: [Google]
my friend.jpg
72KB, 596x580px
>>37353830
Just be yourself, Anon.People love a sense of humor.
>>
>>37355900
And just some minor useful things I forgot to include:

>expand vocabulary
>eye contact
make sure to give even eye contact in group situations, and don't lock eyes constantly in one on one.
>laugh with them
scale your laugh to be like 20% of the groups laugh, normally this just means cracking a subtle smile
>watch people
real people, not like a creep, just go to a bench in the park, street, or mall and watch how people interact. really you only need this if you are a full autismo.
>be "nice"
by this I just mean constantly being the funny guy can cause people to resent you especially if you're making fun of them. I found this out in uni, like 50% of the people will love you and the other 50% will start out loving you and then find you obnoxious if you keep tempo for hours so just dial it back occasionally.
>learn gimmicks
These can be could for lulls in the conversation and it's just silly stuff that will make sure they remember you. Nail in the nose, one handed clap, just things that will make people go "wtf how do you do that?" Be careful though as gimmicks should under no circumstances be overused and have great flop potential equal to their captivation potential (big). So the situation must be read carefully.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.