[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My work place offers a 5% bonus for every language you can speak

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: tmp_2143-Latin.jpg.cf288876473.jpg (54KB, 599x399px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_2143-Latin.jpg.cf288876473.jpg
54KB, 599x399px
My work place offers a 5% bonus for every language you can speak other than english. You have to talk to your supervisor and they'll get you a written test and you have to hold a conversation to prove it. I speak Latin and I've been learning it since 9th grade. I even got a 5 on AP Latin as a senior and took Latin into college. But now my workplace refuses to give me extra pay, despite it never saying Latin doesn't count. What do I do? Can I take legal action?
>>
>>37306864
They're giving bonuses because they need people who can speak languages they need. I'm pretty sure nobody is gonna pay you for knowing fucking Latin out of all things though. I'm still learning it
>>
File: 1438388026459.png (89KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1438388026459.png
89KB, 500x500px
>>37306864
Same, I speak Sumerian and everyone just laughs.
>>
>>37306930
Like I said. It is only stated that you must speak a language other than English to get the bonus. No asterisks attached
>>
>>37306976
If I were you I'd take action, then, or at least threaten to so they give me the bonus.
>>
>>37306864
You're American aren't you? Sue them. This looks like a case you'd easily win.
>>
>>37307075
Yeah I'm an American
>>
Get your hands on the program in writing and see an attorney. They have no reason to deny you based on what we know. If they didn't mean they pay extra for knowing additional languages they should not have said as much. I speak Spanish and was a big Cervantesfag, damn right I'd be double dipping for Spanish and Ladino since I also can read Hebrew.

>>37306930
That's not what they said. They should make a short list of needed languages in that case. I've encountered hmong speakers on a few rare times but it's a weird ass obscure language. Does it not count as a language even though it's still spoken and used just the same as English or Latin are?
>>
>>37307116
Of course you're American. Only in America would you get paid more for speaking what looks like any other language besides English.

Well besides English and Latin apparently.
>>
>>37307298
We work with international clients a lot so being bilingual helps
>>
>>37307298
America isn't the only country that talks. Literally every country in the world does this.
>>
>>37307420
I don't think you'll be working with Romans though so they have a reason not to pay you.
>>
>>37306973
>tfw I'm a burger who speaks Welsh
>people ask me to speak in it, then laugh and say I sound gay
>>
>>37307676
Yeah. I bet I won't work with anyone from Tajikistan too but if I learned Tajik they'd pay me
>>
>>37307676
That's not a valid reason. Latin is still a language even if they don't do much business with Rome. It's not about doing business. It is only about speaking a language and demonstrating proficiency through a test.
>>
>>37307730
Would they? I think you should talk to them about this
>>
>>37307784
Some black dude speaks some ooga boga tribe language and they pay him
>>
>>37307947
Have they given any reason for not paying you or did they just say "no"?
>>
>>37308054
They laughed it off. Said they had no way to test me on Latin and said no
>>
>>37308101
In that case you should do your research and find a few tests used for Latin and show them that they do have something they could use. There are tests for everything at this point. Even ooga booga tribe languages apparently.
>>
>>37308101
Well only a handful of people in the world speak Latin fluently so they have a point anon.
>>
File: 1493927236004.png (318KB, 984x488px) Image search: [Google]
1493927236004.png
318KB, 984x488px
>>37306864

Why the fuck do people learn Latin and why is it offered still in colleges to learn?

>t. a robot learning Mandarin Chinese
>>
>>37308164
I already learned Latin and now I'm working on french. Speaking Latin really helps learning other romance languages
>>
>>37308223

I thought no one can get proficient in Latin and can't speak more than few sentences without fucking up
>>
>>37308164
Why the fuck not? Just because you don't find it interesting or useful it doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.
>>
>>37308158
I guess you're right. Since people speak Latin fluently that must mean it's impossible to tell if someone speaks Latin fluently.
>>
>>37306864
if you know latin why dont you just spend a little extra time and learn all the romantic languages? you can basically already speak them all.

the hard part in a language is learning all the vocab but if you know latin you can pretty much figure out what any word means in the romantic languages, so just spend a little time learning the syntax and how they conjugate verbs and get a 15%+ raise
>>
>>37308245

because no one uses it and its fucking retarded, if you want to speak other romantic languages learn those, not stupid fucking latin
>>
>>37308230
>I thought no one can get proficient in English and can't speak more than few sentences without fucking up
Derp
>>
>>37308230
Nah. There's a few 1000 people who can speak it 100% fluently, like knowing every single word. Mainly professors though.
>>
>>37308265
Actually I could get a 25% raise. Spanish, french, Italian, Portuguese, and Romanian
>>
>>37308164
Here in italy they teach it in some highschools.

Supposedly, you can use it to read old stuff around.
Also it's a nice base for all the romanze.

And they say it's good because it teachs you the "good way" of studing.

Also it makes you less of an illiterate barbarian.
ba ba ba ba ba.
>>
>>37308322

just learn Chinese , desu
>>
>>37308334
Anon kun, that's the thing.
Gakkos around here are more familiar with latin than chinese.

Our monuments and statues aren't written in chinese baka.
>>
>>37308366

>living in Italy

but why
>>
>>37308502
Italy is cool.
>>
>>37308502
You don't choose where you spawn anon. Or if you taught italiango, americango or whatever when you grow up mate.
>>37308522
Like every place in the world, it has its ups and down.

Depends by your priorities in lyfe.
>>
>>37308575
My favorite place in Europe is Liechtenstein/Switzerland
>>
Does the 5% add or multiply? (I.e. wage = minimum * (1.05)^# of languge)

You could potenially make inifnity dollers if you learn all the language
>>
>>37308653
Say I make $100 a paycheck if I pass the Latin test I make $105. If I pass french I make $110.25 and so on
>>
>>37307728

Da iawn am dysgu cymraeg anon.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.