[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only person that thinks discussing morality is retarded?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

Am I the only person that thinks discussing morality is retarded? Nott being edgy its just after spending years caring less and less about it, it just seems to me that its not real, it does not physically exist, there is no universal morality, there can't be because its entirely a result of human imagination. There are certain things people have a natural instinct to dislike, like killing, and certain characteristics societies need to be successful, but to compare that to some made up bullshit like morality seems comparable to the Christians that the very same people will mock and deride..
>>
>>37262386
take your low effort nihilist garbage and shove it up your FUCKING ASS op.
>>
File: 17 - 1.jpg (78KB, 530x815px) Image search: [Google]
17 - 1.jpg
78KB, 530x815px
post more of these types of pics
>>
>>37262386
Yes. I literally had a sit down with someone over suicide prevention and they seriously could not understand that their way of thinking is not objective or the only correct way of thinking. Literally used the argument that because he thinks the same thing others do that not only validates it but makes it an objective truth regardless of lack of evidence. Told him he's literally doing what ancient flath earthers did he just stuttered out "i-its different!" And huffed away.

You're not alone, OP, but chances are its just us.
>>
>>37262413
How is what I'm saying nihilistic? I believe society should be held to a strict code of conduct and everyone has a duty to it, I'm just saying the obvious, that morality isn't even relative, but just non-existent.
>>
>>37262456
>suicide prevention
Wait what? What was the argument about?
>>
>>37262502
It was about preventing suicides what else would it be?

Claimed he'd save someone jumping off a bridge but couldn't explain why he had the right to do it. Usually "you gonna hug them when they get down again or make sure they take their meds?" argument and he basically said its his moral right to prevent this as its what he believes in and that lead to the whole morality is entirely subjective argument. Guy wracked up a $200 bar tab after so maybe he learned something.
>>
File: 1491665995602.jpg (103KB, 900x483px) Image search: [Google]
1491665995602.jpg
103KB, 900x483px
>>37262386
It's in my interest that other people continue to unquestioningly follow morality (not in an edgy way, it's in all of our interests, for the most part). Even when people say that they don't believe morality really exists, they say it in a completely abstract sense. Most of them couldn't comprehend the idea of disregarding everything that is ingrained in them. The only thing that annoys me is people's bull-headedness. The Christian is allowed to have a fervent belief in what is right and wrong, since it follows logically from his idea of what the world actually is. It is a logical extension of his metaphysical worldview. People like this >>37262456 are just automatons. The most frustrating thing for me about this irrational, unself-aware hypocrisy is that it gives people the confidence to be cruel to whoever violates their moral system - as if they have really violated some real moral property, not just because they themselves personally dislike it. I would not be so annoyed if it were at least honest. Oh well.
>>
>>37262386
I'm sure parts of morality are a social construct but some parts of it are hard-written in our genetics, primal nature if you will.
Like mother's love for her child.

Now, the rest of the morals really come from thinking "what's good for us". Back thousands of years ago, shit was barbaric (Wars were, and still are, because war, war never changes, eh? hehe) but I think religion really did something good for the world. Even though they brought religion about by violence, the threat of hell and divine punishment is surely doing wonders these days. It's the people with lower IQ that do the bad deeds and most often they're also the ones who go into the whole religion business. Most of our modern morals stem from religion and common sense.

I see myself as a bit of a nihilist and misanthrope because of what the world is and all that is wrong with it but it could be a lot worse. And it's obvious that even with all the technological advancements we're going down the shithole. Why? Global economy and immigration. These days everything is decided by its worth. People move to countries with higher standard of living (as they have always done) and in turn that brings that standard of living down.

Better start learning whatever language they speak in India and China. durrr
>>
File: 1492610256138.gif (473KB, 500x459px) Image search: [Google]
1492610256138.gif
473KB, 500x459px
I think it's an interesting topic indeed, definitely should have some applied maths and strong philosophy behind it for a more in depth analysis of true morality, for normies

It's like attempting to convince me Humans have no soul, when the definition of a soul will always be open to interpretation and will change as our understanding of reality changes

You think it's retarded, because you are retarded. Without morality you wouldn't be sitting on 4chan making shitposts
>>
Ideals in general are man made and useless. I am sure if people were universally nice to each other and focused on science life would be significantly better for everybody invovled. Ideals and morals make good people do bad things to other good people. There is no way around it.
>>
>>37262747
I'm saying the obvious, that its non existent, and non physical so it simply can't be objective. That doesn't mean I don't think certain things hurt society, such as sexual degeneracy, and shouldn't be dealt with just because "morality is relative". I just don't think things should be looked at in realm of good or bad, but if this action is beneficial for me or not (which would also include society in general since a better society is better for you typically unless you're a nigger).
>>
>>37262386
>there is no universal morality
Not really true. Even when human civilizations were spread out and cut off from one another we all shared similar ideas on morality. (eg. Killing people is wrong, stealing is wrong, etc). While morality isn't physical, as in you cannot actually touch it, it is a real thing.
>>
>>37262864
Its completely a result of human imagination, thats not real. It is not made up by any kind of matter. Unless you want to make the argument that God is real, it simply doesn't exist.
>>
>>37262948
The difference is that there is a shared human experience and thought pattern that arises from being pack animals that causes us to realize that protecting our pack is important and so we act along that guideline a.k.a. what we call morals since as humans we feel the need to attach a word to abstract concepts. Abstract concepts exist and we assign names to those concepts, one name being god and another being morality. There's a reason that so many cultures share folk stories like concepts of vampires or ghosts or the afterlife.
>>
>>37262948
It resides in every human culture. Clearly it has some real existence in humanity and is a part of an individual.
>>
>>37263024
I'm not saying we haven't all inherited some instinct from our evolutionary experience, but thats all they are, instincts. To say theres a universal morality that we all follow is simply untrue if you look at the differences in the most basic stuff between all the different cultures of the world.

>Abstract concepts exist and we assign names to those concepts, one name being god and another being morality. There's a reason that so many cultures share folk stories like concepts of vampires or ghosts or the afterlife.

That doesn't make the abstract concepts real. By the same logic dragons and vampires and werewolves are all real just because people around the world believe in stories about similar creatures. There is no physical matter to a dragon, it weighs less than air as air is at least made up of a mix of various atoms and molecules, but still evokes reactions from real people, exactly like morality. Are you saying that dragons are real?
>>
>>37263139
So do stories of dragons, that doesn't make them real. Nor does the fact that they are a consequence of eons of attacks from snakes in any way make them real. Morality is just as fictional. Morality and the ideas of what is good and evil is just giving names to literally nothing.
>>
>>37262468
>that morality isn't even relative, but just non-existent.
If that were true then the concept of morality wouldn't even exist you retarded faggot
>>
People use morals to exercise control over an existence that is completely involuntary. The morals themselves are imaginary, but the consequences of having or not having them are not. Imaginary things have real effects because they guide our real behavior.
>>
File: IMG_1486.jpg (76KB, 750x999px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1486.jpg
76KB, 750x999px
>>37262386
You took a whole fucking paragraph just to admit youre tok stupid for any discussion that requires more brainpower than fucking pokemon.
This is why youre just a parasite thats dying alone.
>>
>>37262538
Should have grabbed his drink and said you were morally obligated to keep him from over drinking
>>
>>37263406
I'm willing to have an educated discussion, its just the whole discussion of good, evil, and ethics seems dumb to me because they just doesn't exist.
>>
>>37262386
htsdfdsetheajgfhmhjd
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.