[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here musically inclined, and know how to play an instrument;

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: music 2.jpg (9KB, 306x204px) Image search: [Google]
music 2.jpg
9KB, 306x204px
Anyone here musically inclined, and know how to play an instrument; if so can you explain your interest in music and how long you have been playing? Are you self taught or did you have a teacher?

I personally play the piano, however not that good because I can never get the ambition and drive again to continue practicing.
>>
"Musician" here.
I've been playing bass for about 5 years, mostly blues, fuzz rock kind of stuff. Been playing drums for 4 years, mostly blues, punk, and I started getting into jazz drumming around 2 years back but it never interested me much so I learned the basics and just rolled wit it, no free form stuff.
Although, I first started music as a child in the school band, I played flute, stuck with it, got some lessons, then got into tuba, I've always been drawn to the low end, and got good enough to be taken into the state band for Highschool kids in the 6th grade where I was more deeply trained in music composition, and music theory. I have around 13 years of experience playing the tuba, and 14 with the flute although objectively depending on the piece I will play a much better tuba then flute. Got out of highschool, taught myself how to play drums and bass and played in shitty punk bands around California for a while, then I stepped away from that, and got more into studying bass playing and low end theory more.

I've always been into music, it has a rush like no other, esspecially when you're playing in a band or even a brass or symphonic band, when the trumpets hit the top of the bar and the baritones come out of there shell in that slow but steady moving forte, hit that note and you come in with yours and you can feel the blend and the mold solid as granite. It's just a rush man, nothing like it on earth. Same goes for playing rock or metal or punk, but with those it's more about the energy, and performance, and the audience.
I've never really been good at anything else, but I can handle music, that's what I'm good at that's what I do, I suck at just about everything else.

As for practicing I would reccomend studying a little music theory just scales, and what sounds good where, and writing your own tunes, or I've done this, listen to a song maybe through head phones or speakers which ever one works and play a song you like and jam along to try to add/cont.
>>
Cont.
Try to add something to the song that maybe you think is missing or something that would sound good in the song, I used to do that all the time to punk bands on bass, I got tired of just holding down the low end so I would spice it up.

Just have fun, if you want to get better, play along/jam to songs you like on piano study up, and then work on scales and chords. If know/already do all that. Then just have fun, music should never be about prowess it should be about creating an emotion in someone while simultaneously showing yours through your instrument.
>>
I've played guitar for 10 years
started playing cause of Guitar Hero
learning instruments is stupid
>>
>>37166699
I want to produce music and ive done it my whole life but it's giving me unrealistic dreams and I freak out about not going to college and my future all the time. All I want is fucking money and a cool job fuck. But fuck it it's not even worth it I never even feel good or reward from it and I have no friends or peers or people I know that do it or care fuck fuck fuck fuck and all the popular producers got rich or successful at at least 19-22
>>
>>37167358
what do you mean by producer?
George Martin didn't get his break until his 30s
or do you mean some EDM shitter?
>>
>>37166699
Hey bud.

I started out playing the violin as a kid because of my mother wanting to enforce the stereotype of wanting a "perfect" child. Bunch of bullshit. She used violin lessons as a way to get cheap babysitting hours.

So I ended up hating all arts for a while, up until pretty recently. Music interest kicked up somewhere around freshman year, when a good friend of mine first introduced me to Nirvana's cover of "Where Did You Sleep Last Night". Afterwards I just fucked around with my cousin's guitar until I got mine: really got me interested in playing then. I started out with really easy shit, like power chord only songs (like mostly Green Day or Nirvana) an eventually learned most of the major chords as a supplement, like E, A, G, etc. Learning guitar skyrocketed my interest in music: moving towards Chris Cornell (rest in peace), Jeff Buckley, Akira Yamoaka, The Seatbelts--just to name a few.

Hardest part about playing guitar is building up the calluses on your fingertips so they won't be raw when playing. Not to mention some of those chords (like the F) a bitch to play sometimes. I'm nowhere near good, but I can play a whole hell of a lot better then when I started out.

I honestly think guitar is much easier than everyone makes it out to be. You can get away with a shitton just knowing the power chord shape and basic major chords. If you have an axe to wield, fucking do it.
>>
>>37167358
>all I want is fucking money

Every full time musician in this thread knows that feel, including me.
>>
I play saxophone as a hobby.
FUCK REEDS
>>
>>37167429
Rap and trap beats
>>
>>37166699
I started playing guitar a while ago because I was a NEET, there was a guitar in the house, and I had nothing better to do. I recently started playing piano for the same reason. One thing about piano that makes it hard for me to get into is needing to read music to learn something. With guitar you just strum some chords and you're done, it's a lot faster and easier.
>>
File: 1494431646244.png (236KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494431646244.png
236KB, 1920x1080px
I started to play guitar about 10 years ago. Started taking it seriously and studying jazz about 6 years ago.

I'm really glad I did desu. It's just about my only skill but at least it's something.

I play piano as well but not anywhere near as well as I play guitar.

I love playing and I love music more than I love a woman's anus so it makes me pretty happy. I had a few months where I got burned out and I stopped studying jazz for like a year but then I watched La La Land and it made me cry like a bitch so I picked up jazz again and I'm getting better than I was before.
>>
I've been thinking about maybe getting into drums, but I would like to "sample" it before I do anything. Is there anywhere where I can do so ?

Oh and I have a sort of mini xylophone but I haven't uised it in a while.
>>
>>37167916
Fl studio origi
>>
>>37167946
No I meant like playing actual drums.
>>
I'm a pretty good trumpet player, play classical and jazz. Been playing about 15 years now, started with my parents forcing me but I started to really enjoy it after about 5 years.
Jazz trumpet is also apparently quite attractive to musically inclined girls
>>
>>37167492
kek, you won't be saying that when you get to scale excercises, sure you can learn to play barre chords in a month or two but enjoy having to practice everyday for a solid year before you can rip a basic solo like the one on stairway to heaven (at least it me that long to get it)
>>
>>37167962
Idk some shops will
>>
File: this shit.jpg (119KB, 677x613px) Image search: [Google]
this shit.jpg
119KB, 677x613px
Been playing guitar for seven years, but I don't have talent, ended up playing in folk metal band I hate. Few years ago I tried bass and been in sorta tribute band to The Offspring. Although I wanted to focus on jazz (that sweet walkings) I gave up.

Right now I'm having fun in FL studio for about a year but I'd like to play in some indie band. But first I need to gtfo of this folk metal shit.

I only work well with group of people, 'cause I don't have nor theory, nor practical abilities to be shredder or composer. Although some of my FL shit is bretty gud :^)
>>
I play the piano. I was given lessons since eight, and did many solo concerts (my performances were always terrible, but hey, it's stupid fucking Arizona).

I like all sorts of music. I got back into playing piano because of Glenn Gould- that guy really loves music. It takes me a long time to learn pieces, but when I get them right, it gives me a feeling a satisfaction. I like my musical sense better than most people I see online.

If you really like the music, I think you'd learn it. Or, if you have no life, and have nothing else to do everyday. Because it takes practice every day. If you're bored every day and practice it, then you should get good at it.
>>
>>37166699
nice dubs
I started off with guitar in about 2004(was 9/10) but I didn't care about theory or anything beneficial so I didn't take it seriously and I thought my teacher was a fuckhead(I was the fuckhead).
I then took up Drums in 2008 and it's been my main instrument. I had like, 5 different teachers, and I'm going to Uni for Music atm(I'm aware arts degrees are a meme) so I have another teacher there. I've played live shows in bands.
I've taken guitar up again too and have improved pretty damn quickly. Looking to buy a Bass soon and a MIDI Keyboard so I can start on that. I'd like to take up Clarinet at some point.
>>
Learned playing accordion and piano in a musical school for 5 years. Since then I just fuck around with synths when I feel like it.

> all these guitar plebs ITT
>>
>>37167916
if you have any drummer friends ask them if you can. they'll probably be cool with it
>>
>>37169419
What did you expect, it's the most normie instrument. But, being an elitist about your chosen instrument is even more pleb anon.
>>
>>37167916
Some stores might let you play some stuff and give you "advice". I know when I look at guitars, they are usually more than happy to let me play them.
>>
>>37169419
Got any hardware?
>>
>>37166699
i just started messing around with my parents piano to take a bit of boredom out of my neet life
self taught a handful of game songs but i dont think id be able to write music from scratch or play anything very advanced
>>
I've been playing music for about ten years now. I only started as a senior in high school so I've always been behind most serious musicians, but I try not to let that get to me. I used to want to be a classical composer, but I realized a few years ago that it would never make me any money or be enjoyed by many people at all. While I do love my own music a big part of my motivation is being able to write something that appeals to many people. So I decided to switch to guitar and write metal, since I've always loved metal and my dad always had classic rock playing that he listened to since he was my age. I love the way metal sounds, it's so distinct and I think is the perfect genre to bring out feelings of hate, anger, loss, regret, etc. Very dark yet cathartic emotions. I want to sing about all the shitty things that happen in peoples lives and give them a way to get those feelings out and feel them freely. I also want to sing about the shitty things people do and how good or bad it makes them feel for doing them. /r9k/ has been a great resource.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.