[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a road NEET, aka vagabond. Quit my job after saving

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

I'm a road NEET, aka vagabond.

Quit my job after saving 10 grand. Now I'm bumming around Japan as a start.

Why do you guys spend your time in front of a screen when you could travel the world instead?

I did a thread on this yesterday, but had to sleep. Now I have more time, albeit periodically. I'll answer questions.

Pictured; my tent on a mountainside.
>>
>>37113105
From what problems are you running from?
>>
>>37113105
That pic looks really comfy, I do want to go camping when I can. Problem is I have no drivers license yet so I can't drive out to the middle of nowhere and 99% of jobs are unavailable to me.
>>
Are you that guy who posted on /trv/ and wanted to be an hobo in Japan ?
>>
File: 1395024093088.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1395024093088.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
>>37113105
>mfw going to the US in a month
I'm going to drive from Boston to New Hampshire, back to Boston, fly to Ft.Worth, then drive to Colorado, back to Ft.Worth, and then maybe somewhere else in Texas?

Good golly I am very excited, but also a bit nervous! Going to see an old friend from IRC!
>>
>>37113127
I don't know what I want to do in life. And depression.

>>37113250
Just hitchhike. It's a lot easier than one might think.

>>37113282
Nah, that guy's a faggot. I posted some good advice in that thread though.

>>37113361
Awesome! Enjoy the trip.
>>
>>37113105
Did you make that thread on trv?
>>
Do you ever have sex?
>>
>>37113105
How is 10k gonna last when you're travelling overseas? That's the cost of a few plane tickets.
>>
>>37113105
because sitting in front of a screen makes me $230k a year

i'll make it to NEETdom soon enough anon
>>
What about your hygiene? If I go more than one day without showering, my hair and face get super greasy, and I start to smell really bad.

How do you carry your stuff? Is everything in a hiking backpack or do you have a duffel? Pic of your setup?

How are you posting this? Cell phone with no data plan? Cell phone WITH a data plan? That wouldn't make sense because you have no billing address. Camera and laptop? Too heavy and bulky for roaming.
>>
>>37113540
>10K USD
>cost of a few plane tickets
nigga is you off your head?
>>
>>37113105
How do you get enough to eat?
>>
>>37113560
What do you that makes you $230k a year
>>
>>37113574
half a dozen international flights will suck that right up, at least where I live.
>>
>>37113473
I wouldn't want to hitchhike without a concealed handgun and the minimum age for that is 21 and I'm only 19.
>>
>>37113560
yeah, and i'm the prime minister of the coral reef
>>
>>37113610
software engineer

gotta keep doing it for as long as they'll keep paying me for it
>>
>>37113574
He probably just had enough of his old wagie job leave the man alone
>>
>>37113693
easily faked but whatever, don't believe

how many people do you represent your honor
>>
>>37113617
m8 I just checked out how much it would cost me to fly from London to fucking Tokyo and back, bout 950 GBP with Air India, from the 2nd to the 12th. That's the cheapest I could find on google flights for the next month, if you look further you can probably find cheaper. Keep in mind, this includes a middle landing in India both ways, and you get to japan AND BACK. 10K USD will literally get you around the world, several times.
>>
>>37113799
>950 Good Boy Points
That's pretty cheap. I didn't think about it when I made the initial post, but being in NZ probably pushes the prices up like crazy because we're so isolated.
>>
File: christmaspapika.jpg (44KB, 596x401px) Image search: [Google]
christmaspapika.jpg
44KB, 596x401px
>>37113882
Well I'm sure if you just catch that initial flight to Aussieland, you will suddenly find airfare to be a lot cheaper. You just have to look for the cheap flights to the major hubs. Go with low-fare airlines, fuck comfort you're not flying to experience the leg space, you're just trying to get somewhere nice. Bring a backpack, not a suitcase. You don't have the money to spend on a hotel.

I never travel with a suitcase, only rucksack. Suitcases are for people who take taxis to the hotels, and looking poor means lesser incentive to get robbed.
>>
Because I don't have the extraversion or social skills to survive as a hobo.
>>
I'm going to WWOOF starting in west coast USA from July, then going to Spain for a few months and WWOOFing there

Pretty hyped. Transportation costs excluded, I can live with less than $100 USD a month this way (if you push it you can make that $0), while enjoying a nice bed and good food for every day.

Ever try wwoofing OP? Or heard about it?
>>
File: 1494124820800.jpg (579KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1494124820800.jpg
579KB, 1080x1920px
Sorry for the delay. Was busy with kitchen stuff.

>>37113503
The one with the sperg wanting to live like a hobo? No. I did post advice in it, though.

>>37113530
Not so far. Haven't had the chance to actually try. But I'm also a bit chubby and the Japanese love them some twinky boys. I'm steadily losing weight, though.

>>37113540
If you're retarded and buy direct flights. And if I only have to buy one each year, then I can stretch it far.

>>37113572
I go to public baths or hot springs. Or simply find a secluded river. In a pinch, sponge bathing at rest stops work.

I have 35kg of gear. Pic related. I can post my pack list if you're interested.

There's plenty of free wifi spots in Japan. Right now I'm staying at a hostel where I work in the kitchen and help cleaning rooms in exchange for food, a room, and access to wifi and a hot spring. I have a laptop and cell phone with a subscription that's 2 bucks a month, but I have to pay for everything I use, so it's basically in case of emergencies.

>>37113606
I pack some dried goods and potatoes and onions and such. I tend to shop food for 3 days at the time. Japan has plenty of dried fish for cheap, so that's great for soups and frying up after making stock of it. I also carry around a spice container and some stock cubes as part of my cooking gear.

>>37113677
Don't hitchhike in the states, then. Japan is so crazy safe it's almost unreal.

>>37114074
You don't need social skills. Just stick to yourself. Though it helps a lot to be able to make friends, especially if you want to hitchhike.

>>37114136
I am doing WWOOF'ing right now, though I'm having trouble finding hosts for the summer. All the weebs are coming here.
>>
No one else's interested? Okay.
>>
aren't you scared of ending up like that guy in the 2 guys 1 hammer video?

there's a lot of psychos out there
>>
>>37114601
I thought this thread has 404'd. Please post more comfy pictures.

Can you really get by on 30 USD per day over there? Are there fish and wildlife laws to worry about? Can you legally hunt with a bow there?
>>
>>37114682
Nah. I sleep with a knife next to me when camping. And I'm pretty huge, not exactly a target.

>>37114696
Hunting is restricted, but I can fish as much as I want with no license needed. And I can get by with 10 bucks or less a day. I basically only have to pay for food.
>>
File: w-wank, anon-kun.gif (178KB, 500x411px) Image search: [Google]
w-wank, anon-kun.gif
178KB, 500x411px
>>37114733
You posted that picture yesterday. I'd love to see more if you don't mind.

How could I go about earning money in Japan? I can ride a unicycle, you think I could earn money by doing tricks in a town square or something?

>mfw could spend 90 days in Japan for 2.5K USD, all included

How much would you estimate your gear cost you? How much did you shell out for your tent? Would you recommend someone to just buy a tarp and find some sticks if they're gonna camp out for a while in somewhat fair weather?
>>
>>37113105
>Why do you guys spend your time in front of a screen when you could travel the world instead?
i dont have that kind of fucking money
>>
Why the hell did you go to Japan?
>>
>>37114733
>>37114198
You're living the dream man, wish I had the courage to do what you're doing
>>
>>37114601
Are you a weeb?
Origami
>>
>>37113105
Why didn't you just study abroad?
>>
>Why do you guys spend your time in front of a screen when you could travel the world instead?
I have a mother who's dependent on me.

And you better not be that normalfag dane.
>>
>>37114871
> I can ride a unicycle, you think I could earn money by doing tricks in a town square or something?
>tfw imagining an autistic weeb robot falling off a unicycle in Tokyo
Please be the next Davido kun
>>
I'm too poor. I'll be lucky to save one thousand a month if I budget right, currently working full time for minimum in NY, rent is free but I have to pay energy, food, internet, etc.

Also I have no mental energy. Its a struggle to even get to work let alone travel. I feel broken.
>>
Being a hobo or vagabond or whatever is uncomfy and boring
Plus, i like computer technology too much
When I lost my old computer and moved out, for the next 8 months before i got another computer, that's all i thought about was getting a new computer
>>
>>37114601
whiny bitch post
>>
Honestly how do you make money to support yourself on the road? I know this is a common question but it is the only thing stopping me from hitchhiking around.
>>
>>37113105
do you ever get checked by the police for ID? Thats the only thing I worry because when I stayed there I got searched multiple times for papers probably because i was riding a bicycle. Then again I've never been searched when on foot
>>
>>37116317
ask for spare change

>see person walk by
>"Space change!?"
>person gives you spare change
>>
File: veracruz.jpg (47KB, 432x305px) Image search: [Google]
veracruz.jpg
47KB, 432x305px
any advice for a mexican who wants to travel and know every mexican state? i'm 19yold, what should i bring with me? i ain't gonna buy a tent btw
i was thinking about doing this with 2 friends of mine but idk, it is worth it? or they are gonna be useless?
(i live in pic related)
>>
>>37114871
I'm not sure if busking for money is legal in Japan. You could always ask construction crews for cash paid day labor.

My gear is perhaps worth 500 bucks at most. I paid premium for my tent as I wanted quality. A tarp is very versatile but not good for privacy or to keep bugs away.

>>37115244
It's a safe and beautiful country. And getting a one year visa was easy.

>>37115697
Perhaps a bit.

>>37115727
I don't know what I want to study.

>>37115781
The one and same. I'm not a normalfag though.

>>37116317
Just get a job wherever. But I have a decent savings account and live pretty frugally.

>>37116345
Nope. At least haven't so far. The police doesn't seem to care about a random backpacking gaijin.
>>
>>37113560
>>37113738
you dont need to larp man its an anonymous board
you people are as bad as "fembots" who never post timestamps

just stop, get a clue
>>
>>37113707
What kind of software?
>>
>>37116424
What do you intend on doing during the winter? I mean I know that's some time away but still.

Also I definitely commend you on doing this. I did something similar (lived out of a hostel for a few months in europe) and it helped me get out of my robothood
>>
>>37116409
i never get any reply, 19yold mexican here replying to myself in the past
>>
>>37116567
Live in Kyushu or Okinawa. Or prematurely head to Australia. The weather's agreeable there even in winter.

>>37116604
Go browse /out/ for inspiration.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-18-19-39-55.png (264KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-18-19-39-55.png
264KB, 1440x2560px
>>37113574
Not him but they're pretty expensive
>>
>>37113799

You can get to Narita from the UK for under 450 GBP.

Source: done it 4 times.
>>
>>37116424
>I don't know what I want to study
You literally study the language/culture, ya tard
>>
>>37117095
But I can do that for fun without going to university for it
>>
>>37116409
You best bring an army with you, otherwise prepare to die

Though if you stick to the non-north parts of mexico you *could* make it out alive

Also you better not be white, and you better not look like a rich person, regardless of how much money you have
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.